Quantcast
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by p900 ➡️
For many years I chased YouTube reviews and bought what they recommended.
Nah, not really my bag... Not really your fault as you don't know who the man is.

I certainly wouldn't consider Dom a youtooober. More of a pioneer - and one with the technical skills that put him at the top of the food chain (assuming you understand the genre).

Well, if Dom wanted to demo some of my sounds, they would have been flung at him, even before he'd finished typing.

But what do I know?

Carry on...
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Why do you need Dominic confirmation to grab an audio tool? You are in an audio field not fashion or art!
Anyway, I don’t blame you. For many years I chased YouTube reviews and bought what they recommended. All this changed, once I’m started listening with my ears and not with my eyes.
I am not a fashion or art pin up and I have never done a you tube review!
I am an artist! ....takes bow
I mixed all of my records with my ears!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
I am planning on doing a video about it (as well as Lunar Lander but the last 8months+ had been completely crazy for me so I had to put it on hold).

This thread is quite long and… well it’s Gearspace right ^^.

So what would you guys would like to see/hear ? If I can provide it ?

As I saw some wanting to avoid using it on already crushed music.
So I am guessing on a rough mix could be a good idea.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart ➡️
That is not cool when someone does that, but this was not the place to do that in my opinion. Especially from the developer attacking potential customers and showing off his bad side. Of course, there were reasons for that attack but still - someone should take the high ground to avoid such BS.
A customer once greeted me in a certain manner and I simply responded "likewise". He was offended but I told him I merely reflected his own slight back at him. He realised what "magic" had happened we went back to business as usual, like men sometimes do.

Sometimes our own "stuff" comes back to us and it's up to us if we want to learn from it or not. Well, at least that is my experience, maybe that's just me.

It's easy to advice others to take the high ground, it's a different thing act on one's own advice, that can be a harder thing to do.

Quote:
I know that this will not affect anyone - but I did get put off trying out this plugin after that kind of response.
That's a choice you have to make - are your feelings more precious than the product that gets plenty of chef's kisses in the thread? Maybe they are, that's for you to decide.

Quote:
Most of the threads lately have so much hate and negativity. I wonder if that is because of the current pandemic situation that has lead to a build-up of bad emotions. It seems that they get released in such forums behind masks of the internet...
Denork already provided a simple definition of hate earlier in the thread, to wish bad on someone. Most of the time we don't know the motivation of people, so a lot of the "hate" could mostly be about people going on about things they don't like, right?

I will end with some good news. The discount code for 25% off is still active: XPN4WC4H.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR ➡️
So what would you guys would like to see/hear ? If I can provide it ?.
A clean synth track which contains mostly bass/low-mid information contrasted with a clean synth track which contains mostly hi-mid/high end information, to demonstrate how the plugin handles these sources.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland ➡️
I am not a fashion or art pin up and I have never done a you tube review!
I am an artist! ....takes bow
I mixed all of my records with my ears!
Dom & Roland, you misunderstood me badly. I was talking from the receiving side. The example of art or fashion was in reference to the consumer/buyer.
I don’t know if explaining it further might make it worse. But surely, it is not the way you understood it.
I will give an example and hope I convey the idea.
A famous actor might endorse a certain perfume. So I am saying go smell the perfume before you rush and buy it. So this advice does not belittle the actor nor make him a lesser actor.
However in art or fashion, from my opinion, I would rely on experts to suggest certain decor, clothing or art pieces to acquire.
Again, excuse me and total respect to your artistry.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effectsworks ➡️
Nah, not really my bag... Not really your fault as you don't know who the man is.

I certainly wouldn't consider Dom a youtooober. More of a pioneer - and one with the technical skills that put him at the top of the food chain (assuming you understand the genre).

Well, if Dom wanted to demo some of my sounds, they would have been flung at him, even before he'd finished typing.

But what do I know?

Carry on...
I agree totally. For the past 5 years, Pulsar Modular have been trying to find anyone to review our plugins to no avail. It started with the P900 modular soft synth, that for most users who purchased it (less than 100 paid copies) was and still the best sounding soft synth.
However, after this P42 thread on Gearspace, things turned around. I have no idea why? I did not dare to post a KVR thread. Because I was fried and skinned alive last year when I posted Lunar Lander.
So here, on this forum thread, is where I decided that I should not give NFR in advance, as the products already come with a fully working trial copy.
Is it logical, or wise? I think everything I have been doing is wrong/unconventional, except that the sound is coming out amazing and that this thread and people in it are making a difference. I am starting to see rain. Lots of rain. Thank you all!

Last edited by p900; 6 days ago at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Lives for gear

Hi all. Here's another little snippet of a/b. This time, I've got P42 on every channel, and it's the ONLY processing you'll hear. This is a faders-up rough mix from a basics session i tracked. So, the first half of this lil chorus is with P42 bypassed, and the second half, P42 kicks in and works its magic.

These settings were dialed in quickly in headphones this evening after my wife went to bed (and after a few rounds of my new favorite tiki drink ); the plugin is super easy to use and dial in so there wasn't much need for a lot of fussing about. I probably spent more time trying to volume-match the raw vs P42'd state of each track than i did fiddling with the tones. That's sorta the beauty of this thing: you can quickly arrive at good results.

Anywho, I'm really jazzed on this thing. Wish it was a hundred bucks cheaper, though. I'd also mention that the GUI leaves a bit to be desired; the graphics are kinda primitive and the knobs' response isn't great. But hassling around with the GUI is a small price to pay for the groovy tones this thing is capable of.

Enjoy!
Attached Files

p42 multiple channels.mp3 (1,000.4 KB, 77 views)

Gear Nut

When the second part kicked in, it felt like the curtain unveiled and the musicians got in the spotlights.

I will revisit the knobs responses in the next revision. As for GUI, I design products for my own use first (another marketing no no) so I tend to design cyborg like- half real images mixed with 3D and 2D art, all mingled up. Somehow, my tendency is to shy away for true hardware looking 3 D rendering.
My business advise to others: don’t do like me
Lives for gear

Quote:
When the second part kicked in, it felt like the curtain unveiled and the musicians got in the spotlights.

I will revisit the knobs responses in the next revision. As for GUI, I design products for my own use first (another marketing no no) so I tend to design cyborg like- half real images mixed with 3D and 2D art, all mingled up. Somehow, my tendency is to shy away for true hardware looking 3 D rendering.
My business advise to others: don’t do like me
Thanks for listening

FWIW, i'm less concerned with the aesthetics of the GUI, and more with the way the knobs and sliders "feel", as well as their placement. There's a bit of clumsiness to the GUI that I think could be refined. Luckily, it's a pretty simple device so even with the operational shortcomings, it's very easy to dial in great tones. Nice work on this.
Here for the gear

Nice demo bgrotto ! It reminds me of this song, which is from one of the best selling album of all time in France.

https://youtu.be/T02HJFNLaLQ?t=317
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree totally. For the past 5 years, Pulsar Modular have been trying to find anyone to review our plugins to no avail. It started with the P900 modular soft synth, that for most users who purchased it (less than 100 paid copies) was and still the best sounding soft synth.
However, after this P42 thread on Gearspace, things turned around. I have no idea why? I did not dare to post a KVR thread. Because I was fried and skinned alive last year when I posted Lunar Lander.
So here, on this forum thread, is where I decided that I should not give NFR in advance, as the products already come with a fully working trial copy.
Is it logical, or wise? I think everything I have been doing is wrong/unconventional, except that the sound is coming out amazing and that this thread and people in it are making a difference. I am starting to see rain. Lots of rain. Thank you all!
In my opinion you're are doing a lot of things the good way. The way you listen and do patches with improvement is exceptional. As exceptional as the plugins sound quality and the great coding.

The thing is, this awesome stuff has to get into the open. It doesn't help either you nor the excited people if it only dusts in the dark and maybe 100 buyers are super glad the have a secret weapon in their arsenal of plugins.

I love your concept, the attitude and the thinking towards your testers and customers as well as your attitude here in the forum. How could anyone bash you about lunar lander? It's well priced for its amazing quality. I don't get it but I don't want to open such a discussion here again.

Thing is, especially because your plugins are already appreciated by a selected group of people and your thinking out of the box plus not letting customers wishes out of sight...it is possible to jump over a shadow sometimes without selling all the ambitions,, the passion and the concept.

Plugin conception is one thing
Getting things known for a bigger crowd is another thing. One can't exist without the other in the end.

Think about the people who are getting faithful customers now and will support you over the years. They will be very sad if the rain washed all away. In fact, I believe in the strong, really unparalleled, quality aspect of your plugins as well as your very own way doing plugins and this is the base for me to see a lot of sunshine in the future.

People will help you spreading the news and support you further on. After all. A small special interest company like yours creates a community, not just only customers for the book. Please be patient, those things take time. I believe in your way. All will turn out good.

I plea here and now to all of the interested people. If you are convinced about the plugins quality. Do rattle and spread the news. Maybe one of you runs a YT channel and still has the fire of independent thinking and the heart for underdogs. And maybe is selfless enough to do a small thing for Pulsar Modular. Or maybe someone of you knows anybody who could do such a great thing? After all this is a community. Thank you.

The worst thing would be if such companies would vanish and we would further be ruled by companies who promise us 100% 1;1 emulations, give us only 80%, maybe some 90% but charging 120% from the good believing people. I'm so fed up with this mentality. I want to support the 100% attitude of Pulsar Modular. Let's do a little something about that.

(sorry for emotions burning through, got only little sleep the last 3 days)

PS:
You said:
"I think everything I have been doing is wrong/unconventional, except that the sound is coming out amazing and that this thread and people in it are making a difference"

No no, there is nothing "wrong" and indeed many good people are here and the quality of cummunication and interest as well as constructiveness is getting better and better.

PLEASE HOLD ON!!! IT IS WORTH IT!!!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

v1.5.2 update

Hope to have this version released in an hour.
In this version, we are
Fixing the radioactive glowing light from P42. It was calling the redraw function too many times, and meter bridge in Pro Tools became sluggish. So this version will even be more cpu efficient!
Knob movements "feel" raised by bgrotto: I revisited the knobs and fine tuned the movement (your presets will NOT be affected).
Free trial period of all our products have been doubled from 20 to 40 days.

Last edited by p900; 6 days ago at 01:11 PM.. Reason: additional thought
Lives for gear

speechless

!!! wow !!!

PS
I found the knobs behavoir for mix very very hardware like in action. Great feel and range!

And yes, the boost and HP/LPF could be a bit more precise as well as the "shelves"-frequencies.
Lives for gear

Quote:
In this version, we are
Fixing the radioactive glowing light from P42. It was calling the redraw function too many times, and meter bridge in Pro Tools became sluggish. So this version will even be more cpu efficient!
Knob movements "feel" raised by bgrotto: I revisited the knobs and fine tuned the movement (your presets will NOT be affected).
Thanks!

I have a suggestion, could you make the mouse wheel also work when I press cntrl to make more subtle movements?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR ➡️
I am planning on doing a video about it (as well as Lunar Lander but the last 8months+ had been completely crazy for me so I had to put it on hold).

This thread is quite long and… well it’s Gearspace right ^^.

So what would you guys would like to see/hear ? If I can provide it ?

As I saw some wanting to avoid using it on already crushed music.
So I am guessing on a rough mix could be a good idea.
Hi buddy, as you know, I have total faith in your ears (and good faith in mine), although you also know me as sometimes critically guy. I am open for everything you use, as I will hear any move you do with the plugin anyway and on any given material. But a rough mix will propably a good idea in general.

Appreciated, that you even ask here! I wonder why you didn´t get an answer yet from other persons, especially from whom you refer to

Have fun! Great, you´re doing a video. Always eager to see a new one on your channel, they are so refreshingly honest, revealing and interesting each time. I always draw good things out of them.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
Thanks!

I have a suggestion, could you make the mouse wheel also work when I press cntrl to make more subtle movements?
Ay!... started compiling. I did check your point, correct. Currently Ctrt- and mouse dragging works in Precision mode. However, mouse wheel is not affected.
This will be added in next update.
Gear Nut

Plugin- Audio engine integrity

I want to raise a point I did not think about previously. It concerns the fine line a developer has to walk when updating their plugins; it is a tremendous responsibility. Let me tell you why.

A user purchased your plugin. You delivered the plugin. The plugin is now in used in many projects. The client is trusting that you keep the integrity of your plugin sound and previous functionality intact throughout the updates life cycle. Adding new features are fine.

Danger lurks if say, I like to "improve" this dial, or that part of the engine and simply send a new update without clearly thinking about its ramifications. Now the client knob position might correspond to a different value, or if they pull an old session and find the sound has somehow changed, or volume output from the plugin has changed. This is a disaster!

I had this wakeup call few days ago from a client. He said he is still using version 1 of Lunar Lander because somehow down the line I mentioned in an update that the internal sound of LL has been improved. The client stopped updating thereafter. He has projects that he has fine tuned where my plugin is in the mix. Improvement in this case is vague and not quantitative. This is dangerous.
As such, I decided, anytime I plan to alter the sound of the plugin (in the name of improvement), it will be treated as a new plugin. For example: Lunar Lander II, or P42 Climax 2
This way, clients can have both versions living concurrently in their DAWs and then it is up to them to decide if they want to delete the older version or not.

Last edited by p900; 6 days ago at 02:42 PM.. Reason: grammar
Lives for gear

Perfect. Thank you for sharing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
I want to raise a point I did not think about previously. It concerns the fine line a developer has to walk when updating their plugins; it is a tremendous responsibility. Let me tell you why.

A user purchased your plugin. You delivered the plugin. The plugin is now in used in many projects. The client is trusting that you keep the integrity of your plugin sound and previous functionality intact throughout the updates life cycle. Adding new features are fine.

Danger lurks if say, I like to "improve" this dial, or that part of the engine and simply send a new update without clearly thinking about its ramifications. Now the client knob position might correspond to a different value, or if they pull an old session and find the sound has somehow changed, or volume output from the plugin has changed. This is a disaster!

I had this wakeup call few days ago from a client. He said he is still using version 1 of Lunar Lander because somehow down the line I mentioned in an update that the internal sound of LL has been improved. The client stopped updating thereafter. He has projects that he has fine tuned where my plugin is in the mix. Improvement in this case is vague and not quantitative. This is dangerous.
As such, I decided, anytime I plan to alter the sound of the plugin (in the name of improvement), it will be treated as a new plugin. For example: Lunar Lander II, or P42 Climax 2
This way, clients can have both versions living concurrently in their DAWs and then it is up to them to decide if they want to delete the older version or not.
Every developer should have that approach.

I used a plugin (VST Synth), that needed a monthly activation online. But last activation, it did not work cause there had been an update (also could no connect to their server) and the plugin had moved up to a minimum OS X that my Mac Pro could not be upgraded to. So I had to remake 20 tracks using other plugins to replace the 10 instances on each track. like 2-3 month before release. I got the latest version from the developer with a working new authorisation code. But nowhere to be used right now. $199 flop. And 4 extra work days for me + the original idea with the track changed and the feel got much darker on the album.

Sorry for the intrusion on this thread. But I kind of had to let it out.

Last edited by Bob Yordan; 6 days ago at 03:17 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Lives for gear

Studer on a rough mix

A rough mix preperation with 35 instances of P42 with Studer preset.

This is a very early state in the mix. I only did level, pan and functional EQ+compression with a channel strip emulation.
Plus having the P42 on the 35 active channels.
No further layer of vintage emulations, saturation, Parallel, ER, wet and dry EFX and whatsoever have been done at this state.
If this would have been done, the cumulative effect in and out for imaging and depths perception would be huuuuuge. But already in this stage, its a obvious difference in and out.

Track excerpts:
Song: Nightmare
Artist: Rythm Method
Attached Files

Nightmare - NO P42.wav (5.58 MB, 1342 views)

Nightmare - P42.wav (5.58 MB, 1336 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradfr ➡️
Nice demo bgrotto ! It reminds me of this song, which is from one of the best selling album of all time in France.

https://youtu.be/T02HJFNLaLQ?t=317
High praise indeed! I hope this song sees comparable success

Merci!
Lives for gear

Quote:
In this version, we are
Very cool! I'm downloading now and eager to check out the improvements.
Lives for gear

Knobs feel much improved!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the extended trial period. A more formal, extended intro price (instead of the flash sale) would be lovely, too. I'll pay the price if P42's proven to be a useful addition to my toolbox, though it's hard to evaluatein such a short period of time : FOMO > impulse purchase > unused plugin and buyers remorse... we've all been there, right ?

I've noticed the demo is limited to one 1 computer, does the paid version have the same limitation ?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman ➡️
Thanks for the extended trial period. A more formal, extended intro price (instead of the flash sale) would be lovely, too. I'll pay the price if P42's proven to be a useful addition to my toolbox, though it's hard to evaluatein such a short period of time : FOMO > impulse purchase > unused plugin and buyers remorse... we've all been there, right ?

I've noticed the demo is limited to one 1 computer, does the paid version have the same limitation ?
Order 2 or 3 trial accounts at checkout. You will get separate Auth codes, thereafter activate each computer separately; each having a 40 days limit.
If you needed more days, email support.
Paid version comes with 2 Authorization codes for two computers. You manage the Authorization and deauthorization process. So you can move to another computer and authorize it and when done, deauthorize.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Order 2 or 3 trial accounts at checkout. You will get separate Auth codes, thereafter activate each computer separately; each having a 40 days limit.
If you needed more days, email support.
Paid version comes with 2 Authorization codes for two computers. You manage the Authorization and deauthorization process. So you can move to another computer and authorize it and when done, deauthorize.
How long the 25% discount will last?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dom & Roland, you misunderstood me badly. I was talking from the receiving side. The example of art or fashion was in reference to the consumer/buyer.
I don’t know if explaining it further might make it worse. But surely, it is not the way you understood it.
I will give an example and hope I convey the idea.
A famous actor might endorse a certain perfume. So I am saying go smell the perfume before you rush and buy it. So this advice does not belittle the actor nor make him a lesser actor.
However in art or fashion, from my opinion, I would rely on experts to suggest certain decor, clothing or art pieces to acquire.
Again, excuse me and total respect to your artistry.
All good, I'm not upset, I was more amused at everyone misunderstanding each other. I like that you have principals. I'll try the plug next week. The concept certainly sounds exciting!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Great transparency about the update process !

I sometimes read thread and wonder if some users really realize what an update entails.

Some Gearspace feels a like a big snarky beta forum haha.

Anyway I’ll update asap and report back for the PT metering improvement (as I am still tied to *the most hated* Avid hehe).
Lives for gear

Meter improvement is pretty dramatic on my system.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…