Quantcast
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp - Page 29 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok, not bashing in the slightest on this product, but I've just downloaded the demo and tried it out to compare it to my go to distortion plugins, and found I could match all useful settings the closest with Fuse VPRE-2C. They're very close in sound, and they act the same, in that "organic" (you know what I mean) way. Maaaaybe P42 is a tiny bit more open in the low mid, but it's very subtle. I struggle to understand why I'd want to pay 5 times as much for P42, but hey, we're all different and hear different things. And maybe I'm missing something that I'll understand later on.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
unr
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p900 ➡️
Ah.. Excellent suggestion. We will extend this service so you can log to your account on our website and deactivate a license. Expect it before year's end.
That sounds fine, thanks!

Copy Protection always must be user friendly. having this feature will make it usable on the road.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyberg ➡️
Ok, not bashing in the slightest on this product, but I've just downloaded the demo and tried it out to compare it to my go to distortion plugins, and found I could match all useful settings the closest with Fuse VPRE-2C. They're very close in sound, and they act the same, in that "organic" (you know what I mean) way. Maaaaybe P42 is a tiny bit more open in the low mid, but it's very subtle. I struggle to understand why I'd want to pay 5 times as much for P42, but hey, we're all different and hear different things. And maybe I'm missing something that I'll understand later on.
Since you already did the test and got similar results, could you please post the raw and the two processed audio samples.
It would be great if you attach the screenshot of P42 and VPRE-2C so we can see the settings.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So from your perspective, what does it mean “I can’t afford it”?
Well, not that many years ago, I was out of work and lived on my savings until they ran out. I was lucky to get a good job which I've now had for 10 years. But back then, I was borrowing money from relatives to pay the bills, racking up huge credit card debts and so on. It took years to pay everyone back and clear my debts and today, I'm fortunate that I live debt-free and am doing pretty well.

However, there is a difference between "I can't afford it because otherwise my family will starve, I won't be able to put fuel in my car and we'll get evicted from our home" and "I'm just a hobbyist who does this for fun and, sure I could afford it now but I couldn't justify such an expenditure (to myself, let alone my wife!)"

I've been playing around with P42 again this evening and I really enjoy what it does. If I was 30 years younger I'd buy this in an instant. But I have commitments that means that such pleasures need to be tempered with my responsibilities.

None of that means that the plugin isn't worth the asking price, but it's like the time a work colleague came in to the office with (another) new t-shirt and proudly exclaimed he'd paid £150 ($200) for it. He was very happy but I would never think of paying $200 on a t-shirt, even it was the greatest t-shirt in the world
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt ➡️
…sure I could afford it now but I couldn't justify …
Ah! Great. I am relieved. So the keyword now is- not I can’t afford, but I can’t justify.
I totally agree with this reasoning. You are making me realize that my target audience are those that can justify the purchase.

Last edited by p900; 3 days ago at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Replace with a better idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This energy turns me off.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

It is hard as a hobbyist to justify $250 for one plugin. Usually you allow yourself some cash for your passion every year, passion for which you usually make no money. And some of that will probably go towards the instrument(s) you play.

For $250 I can get the TDR Everything Bundle, or five Valhalla plugins, or many Waves plugins with their constant sales.

For $60 I get two major versions of Reaper, because they price the same product differently for non-commercial users, and it seems to work out great for them.

But nobody said amateurs needs the same tools as professionals, after all
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You are making me realize that my target audience are those that can justify the purchase.
Those are the best customers!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt ➡️
Those are the best customers!
The cheapest customers are usually the more demanding in support! At least that's the wisdom for SaaS products.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradfr ➡️
It is hard as a hobbyist to justify $250 for one plugin. Usually you allow yourself some cash for your passion every year, passion for which you usually make no money. And some of that will probably go towards the instrument(s) you play.

For $250 I can get the TDR Everything Bundle, or five Valhalla plugins, or many Waves plugins with their constant sales.

For $60 I get two major versions of Reaper, because they price the same product differently for non-commercial users, and it seems to work out great for them.

But nobody said amateurs needs the same tools as professionals, after all
Once upon a time, there was a little boy who found a pearl on the street. As he walked playing with it in his hands, a jeweler crossed his path and asked the boy if he would like to do a fair exchange. For that stone in his hand he can get 4 colorful candies. The boy’s eyes lit up when he saw the red, orange, green and yellow candy pieces; and immediately did the exchange.
Everyone went home that day very happy and totally satisfied.
The end.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger ➡️
I have to say, it really is very good. 39 more days to go.
I still have the same impression after 30 days of daily use mixing live recording and stems for a music tv show, i just love how it reacts to different sources tracks and busses and how it can steer you toward creative mixing decisions fast. More like a "mixing instrument"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyberg ➡️

Quote:
Since you already did the test and got similar results, could you please post the raw and the two processed audio samples.
It would be great if you attach the screenshot of P42 and VPRE-2C so we can see the settings.
How about post them but don't say which is which and let the crowd decide. Then after some time, reveal. That is, if you want to mitigate bias (not sure if this is the right product for that).
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 ➡️
This energy turns me off.
I concur. Such a weird thread for a product release. Literally went from the developer seeking reviewers weeks ago to suspect overzealous reviewers, pricing tiffs, satiated elitist shots to critics, and now social economic commentary. Expected GS territory with a slight twist.

Can't stop reading it. Lol

Last edited by Roberto_; 3 days ago at 09:28 PM.. Reason: bored
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp-wilde.jpg
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

P42 Climax v1.85 release date

We will release new version next Friday Oct. 22.
New version will:
  • Run native on the M1 chip.
  • Updated GUI.
  • Smooth mouse wheel movement.
  • Updated Challenge/Response.
  • Updated price.

ps: We are open to feature requests.
ps2: We are reworking the Preset Management System to enable Category/Sub-Categories file structure.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
New version will:
  • Run native on the M1 chip.
  • Updated GUI.
  • Smooth mouse wheel movement.
  • Updated Challenge/Response.
  • Updated price.

ps2: We are reworking the Preset Management System to enable Category/Sub-Categories file structure.
Sounds great.

.... and Smoother selecting of the DI options ??
It's crazy currently on a 5k monitor in Logic.
I have to hold and drag the cursor (Magic Trackpad 2) about 10cm to get any action
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
Sounds great.

.... and Smoother selecting of the DI options ??
It's crazy currently on a 5k monitor in Logic.
I have to hold and drag the cursor (Magic Trackpad 2) about 10cm to get any action
The whole switch will be replaced. It will be smooth
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Low cpu impact " input and output meters "

Currently I do find the Di, mid and side switch quite difficult to grab. Sometimes take me a couple of seconds ! But I see that you are on top of that.
Yes your mouse has to be several cm's away from the switch!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
A clearer Bypass switch. It might sound stupid but I had a hard time understanding what was the bypass switch until I rtfm.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor ➡️
A clearer Bypass switch. It might sound stupid but I had a hard time understanding what was the bypass switch until I rtfm.
What bypass switch ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
What bypass switch ?
You little rascal
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor ➡️
You mean the RTMF: Read The Manual First .
Or did you actually mean RTFM: Read The Friendly Manual?
Old 2 days ago
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
If certain members don’t stop the evangelism marketing/shilling immediately they will be banned from the thread!

However, they are welcome continue to post like regular members do...just not in the manner they were.

No further dialog will take place over this.
Graham
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You mean the RTMF: Read The Manual First .
Or did you actually mean RTFM: Read The Friendly Manual?
I meant the friendly manual ! The one that brings a friendlier sound to my not so analog friendly mixes and made me become friend with P42. I offer to read it in a friendly manner and it instantly accepted my friendly offer. Now we're friend, but my wallet isn't mine...so I guess it's gonna be a very complicated friendship...not even talking about the fact that I can't discuss with a friendly manual in binary language. Complicated friendship...definitely...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mmm, never seen that before.

I’ll just keep demoing.

Definitely feels like a quality piece of kit.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
For anyone interested in comparisons, Kazrog True Iron with the O-12 transformer setting gets you very close to this, pretty decent null even. And basically the same CPU hit and latency. No built in filters though. The only thing I found maybe slightly better was Acustica Gainstation - but heavy CPU obviously.

What this plugin does really well is incorporate the filters, the air band, and very low CPU and zero latency all into one. I think if the GUI was on par with the big names people would take it a lot more seriously!
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams ➡️
For anyone interested in comparisons, Kazrog True Iron with the O-12 transformer setting gets you very close to this, pretty decent null even. And basically the same CPU hit and latency. No built in filters though. The only thing I found maybe slightly better was Acustica Gainstation - but heavy CPU obviously.

What this plugin does really well is incorporate the filters, the air band, and very low CPU and zero latency all into one. I think if the GUI was on par with the big names people would take it a lot more seriously!
Agree. Without the shelves I couldn’t see what this plug-in was doing that was getting everyone so excited, but I think it’s the ease of use. I have a lot of nebula libraries that are the pinnacle for sound for me ITB but also a bit of a workflow killer. I think this slots in well for quick mixing and decision making.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats ➡️
Agree. Without the shelves I couldn’t see what this plug-in was doing that was getting everyone so excited, but I think it’s the ease of use. I have a lot of nebula libraries that are the pinnacle for sound for me ITB but also a bit of a workflow killer. I think this slots in well for quick mixing and decision making.
I've actually been using this with Verona (killer tone), and it's a great match - I agree with the workflow comments - I can only use a touch of Nebula where I can freeze the tracks or the CPU slowdown kills my flow as well - I will say that P42 does sound very lively compared to other similar DSP, and plays very well with further processing, all while allowing a very quick and snappy workflow
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe ➡️
I've actually been using this with Verona (killer tone), and it's a great match - I agree with the workflow comments - I can only use a touch of Nebula where I can freeze the tracks or the CPU slowdown kills my flow as well - I will say that P42 does sound very lively compared to other similar DSP, and plays very well with further processing, all while allowing a very quick and snappy workflow
Love Verona (and Taipei) but yeah all the freezing and unfreezing gets annoying
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

here's a thought....

Ok - I left the Space a few months ago but I'm re-joining for this post...

Shelves - yes they're good - they null 100% with my Maat Blue in FF/parallel mode with no oversampling (I couldn't get a full null with Equilibrium because it doesn't cramp...)

but

the saturation nulls almost completely with Airwindows Tube (not Tube2) across *most* of its range (white noise). Tube does compress a bit as well when driven.

Drive nulls almost completely with Airwindows Dyno, again across *most* of its range.

between the two of them, Tube (even) and Dyno (odd) give a very similar harmonic saturation.

here's screenshots of a P42 with everything going (except for the Air, which although identical to the high shelf, interacts with it strangely), my match chain and a quick null.

I couldn't match P42 even closely with anything else I tried.

So yes, P42 to me does sound as great as everyone's been saying, and I really like that everything's on one screen, and I actually do like the GUI. But I won't be buying.
Attached Thumbnails
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp-p42.png   Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp-null.png   Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp-maat-aw.jpg  
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…