Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp - Page 28 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
Kind of wondering this myself
Out of respect for the developer, I am not going to do that on this thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p900 ➡️
If you promise me to put kerosene and burn that underpants I will send you a 100% discount code.
I too was a slave to a "magical" pillow that I gave it a name as well [I was 9y]. Until my brother tore it to pieces and guess what? life continued and I was free.
ps: But maybe it is lucky after all. It is making you win the P42!
I can't really decide whether discount codes for flaming underpants or magical pillows are funnier... hopefully you found more magic pillows in your teen years...

GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun ➡️
Dual mono routings and having more instances in general over your project is a powerful tool with P42. Indeed as p900 stated, no instance is acting exactly the same. It's analog tolerance differences modeling done convincingly right.
So thanks for the video link which shows how to route to make dual mono sends/returns in Cubase as an fx.

How would you setup the P42 in a unlinked dual mono configuration on the 2 bus for example?
I read that someone here was having great effect in this configuration.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
So thanks for the video link which shows how to route to make dual mono sends/returns in Cubase as an fx.

How would you setup the P42 in a unlinked dual mono configuration on the 2 bus for example?
I read that someone here was having great effect in this configuration.
Unfortunately Cubase doesn´t provide the option to set up dual mono channels on your groups or the 2-bus. So you have to work around that via your group-channels, which sum basically is your 2-bus. It´s a bit of work to set up...

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have questions about the mix and master presets.

Mix presets listed as 1of 3 and have the name Fusion. is this based on SSL Fusion? Is the intent to open 3 separate instances of P42 for your mix bus using presets 1, 2, and 3 and tweak as needed?

Same for the mastering presets mid and side. open 2 instances of P42 for mastering and tweak mid/side separately?
Lives for gear

@ GBP

I set up a quick example. the 16 or so drum+bass+percussion channels are only prepared a bit functionally via SSL J9K channel strip and P42 on each channel. No further mixing or effects whatsover done here. Just plain dry raw tracks.

the no P42 is the version with only J9K on it.

Dual-mono setup:
One stem for the Drum and Bass and one for the percussion. Both stems routed into 2 efx-AUX mono channels with each having p42 on it. L/R panning via stem channels options. So one mono P42 is adressed L and the other R.

Didn´t put too much effort into this. Just for demonstration. Compare "noP42" -> "p42 dual mono". Now imagine putting all those instances on finished channels with all efx in ...

Track excerpts:
Jami Sun
Song: Gratitude
Attached Files

no P42.wav (2.29 MB, 1260 views)

p42 no dual mono.wav (2.29 MB, 1189 views)

p42 dual mono.wav (2.29 MB, 1236 views)

original tracks-01.wav (2.29 MB, 1177 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradfr ➡️
I mean there's a full demo, so if people who bought it have been fooled it's by themselves.
Bingo! Thus is the nature of audio. It's pretty much mostly subjective and everyone has their own unique opinion. There are few absolutes.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley ➡️
I have questions about the mix and master presets.

Mix presets listed as 1of 3 and have the name Fusion. is this based on SSL Fusion? Is the intent to open 3 separate instances of P42 for your mix bus using presets 1, 2, and 3 and tweak as needed?

Same for the mastering presets mid and side. open 2 instances of P42 for mastering and tweak mid/side separately?

I can´t answer the first question. Maybe someone else can?

For the second question. Yes, P42 is ment to be used like hardware, where you would use 2 units serial or parallel. When using M/S procession you need two instances of the plugin (like with Melda plugins for example). Version 1.8 codes the modes with different colors for better visualization. Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Enjoy
Really wish the guy level matched the sounds better. The volume discrepancy taints the results a little bit. This is something that kind of annoys me a about the demonstrations on YouTube channels. It's not really an apples-to-apples comparison. I know that the thing sounds excellent because I use it daily but the typical user does not and those who are aware of the volume placebo effect will get a little turned off by it. It kind of feels like a trick being played on the listener and that is a shame because he got some good sounds out of it.

Last edited by dasoundjunkie; 1 week ago at 01:22 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_of_ours ➡️
Out of respect for the developer, I am not going to do that on this thread.
The developer has copped a lot of flack and negative feedback so far in this thread. I’m guessing your comments on this topic are unlikely to upset him. Discussing alternative products in a new release thread is a bit like a real discussion in a forum
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Unfortunately Cubase doesn´t provide the option to set up dual mono channels on your groups or the 2-bus. So you have to work around that via your group-channels, which sum basically is your 2-bus. It´s a bit of work to set up...

Ah that old chestnut ! I think Andrew S has moved away from the rear bus technique in favour of a less dense and more open sound...

Good video very helpful thanks and option 3 will be tried !
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@ GBP

I set up a quick example. the 16 or so drum+bass+percussion channels are only prepared a bit functionally via SSL J9K channel strip and P42 on each channel. No further mixing or effects whatsover done here. Just plain dry raw tracks.

Dual-mono setup:
One stem for the Drum and Bass and one for the percussion. Both stems routed into 2 efx-AUX mono channels with each having p42 on it. L/R panning via stem channels options. So one mono P42 is adressed L and the other R.

Didn´t put too much effort into this. Just for demonstration. Compare "noP42" -> "p42 dual mono". Now imagine putting all those instances on finished channels with all efx in ...

Track excerpts:
Jami Sun
Yup that works. Reminds me of when I went down the rabbit hole of analogue summing mojo !
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I`d be seriuosly interested to know what alternative plugins/chain
users have found to come close or match the P42 as claimed here.
I wasn`t lucky on that, be it emu or convolution.
I personally haven`t heard an emu so vibey & alive in a natural way up to now.
(Plus at that low cpu).

I think the dev is open to that as it must be a chain of a variety of tools
which means the aspect of cpu consumption have to be taken into account.

Btw, S1 users should have a closer look at the splitter if not done already,
I use it for many configurations amongst dual mono.
A real gem since it is upfront on a ch.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have to say, it really is very good. 39 more days to go.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@ GBP
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I liked the result. It's subtle but nevertheless does a lot. Main aspect as it is parallel, it tightens and solidified the audio. But also gives a bit more depths.
Yes I certainly noticed the depth that was created in the example. Solidifying the audio, that might be the right word for weight !
It was much more like the analogue vintage maker filtek summer sound that I really liked compared to the much more subtle dangerous box that I moved to.
I was testing the p42 on a drum loop last night and noticed how it was really tightening up the kick and giving the loop a better stage presence.
Great stuff very happy !
Gear Nut
Quote:
There are dozens of videos on YT comparing plugins against hardware. It´s always ever the same. The plugin lacks the depths, width and movement of the hardware, does not respect the audio source and transients enough. P42 has that magic right away.
I haven't seen that there are any videos comparing P42 to any hardware. It isn't fair to disparage other plugins for not being able to match hardware when there is no indication that P42 matches hardware any better than those plugins you say are lacking.

We can't just assume that P42 would do any better based on how it sounds in isolation... It needs a hardware comparison if you want to legitimately make this statement. Otherwise you only made a straw man argument.
unr
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a question regarding the copy protection.

I have 2 installations, one in my studio and one on my home computer.
But when I am on the road, I use my laptop for that.

So is it possible to deactivate say the home computer and move this license temporarily to the laptop until I return home?

I always do this easily with a physical Ilok/USB stick, or other developers allow deactivating of licenses through their webpanel (so even if I forgot to deactivate my home computer before leaving it still is possible to activate on the laptop).

Hopefully this is possible with Pulsar, too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So, I demod P42 again with the latest updates. Bear in mind I'm just an aging talentless hobbyist but I thought I'd try and bring the talk back to the plugin, even though many valid points have been raised on this thread.

The good:
  • Love the sound! I just threw it on a midi drum track (just the shells, no cymbals), picked the Drum Machine Colorizer preset and the drums were immediately better. Fatter, fuller, punchier, bigger, yeah!
  • Features - high/low pass, mid/site, wet/dry, boostable shelves, air plus of course saturation and drive. All very useful.
  • CPU - I'm lucky enough to own a decent PC - 10 core i9 and this thing barely breaks sweat at 0.1% - that's crazy low!
  • Good selection of presets - I like presets, they give me a good jumping off point. And also, who knows a plugin better than the dev? If they've spent time tuning it to work on different material, then I'll start there and tweak as necessary.
  • Good manual explaining everything.
  • Very generous demo period with no annoying noises to ruin the experience

The not-as-good:
  • Obviously, the price... I can't afford it! Is it worth the asking price? If I made my living doing this or was just obnoxiously rich, yeah, it probably is. For a hobbyist hack like me, no, I can't justify that investment, but that doesn't mean the dev can't charge what they feel is a fair price.
  • The UI - I don't dislike it but it doesn't look like a $249 plugin. There's a photo of a transformer in the middle (I like that) with a sort of grey surround with random knobs all over it. Why is the drive knob smaller and placed off-centre like that? My OCD is going in to overdrive here! Would this stop me using it if I owned this? Hell no, I'm just saying.

I really wanted to not like this plugin so I could just berate the dev (in my mind) for charging such a ridiculous price for a saturation plugin, but the truth is, it's really nice. Could I get close with other plugins I already own? I'm sure I could, but this got me a sound I liked within about 10 seconds. Dammit

Last edited by cprompt; 1 week ago at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Thought of another good point
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Going a step further. Even if I could come close to p42 with other tools. Why? "But at what cost"? How many tools would I need in one single chain? And how long would it take if you want to process 50 tracks? I'm really glad that after all, there are people who can understand my exitment about P42 and PM in general.
This is in a nutshell what I am wondering. Even if I believed that someone succeeded I would be extremely curious as to how it was achieved. Because I tried...I really tried to match it with other tools (and I have quite a bit to choose from) with no success. The best I got was "close". And "close" had a substantial cpu hit (not to mention quite a bit of complexity) attached to it.

Last edited by dasoundjunkie; 1 week ago at 02:17 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt ➡️
Could I get close with other plugins I already own? I'm sure I could, but this got me a sound I liked within about 10 seconds. Dammit
Yep, a huge part of this thing is the workflow and quick results. It just gets you there with a minimum of fuss. This was in fact what sold me on the tool. Everything I put after it sounds better because the source sounds better.

Earlier in the thread someone asked about workflow options (sorry, I forget who and the thread is...lengthy) and in my case it's always the first thing in the chain unless its a de-esser/gate type thing (thanks to bgrotto for suggesting this as a prep tool before an amp sim, its also excellent in that application). Things fall into place way more quickly after that.

I would also suggest using the 2 over sampling options as tonal options. They really do make a difference.

Last edited by dasoundjunkie; 1 week ago at 04:10 PM..
Gear Head

Quote:
@ GBP

Dual-mono setup:

Track excerpts:
Jami Sun
Interesting, P42 Dual mono sounds a lot better but also analysing both files in RX8, P42 dual mono is louder across the range with a definite boost across the mids compared to without P42.
What preset is the P42? Did you have the high shelf on and at what frequency?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats ➡️
Interesting, P42 Dual mono sounds a lot better but also analysing both files in RX8, P42 dual mono is louder across the range with a definite boost across the mids compared to without P42.
What preset is the P42? Did you have the high shelf on and at what frequency?
Didn't use any presets for the dual mono setup channels and mixed that in around 25-30% perhaps. All shelfs and filters where active. Shelfs boost relatively high as far as I remember. Had a LUFS level meter on and my reference was the integrated value. Although I didn't do it scientifically, there shouldn't be much of a difference.

The P42 on the instruments channels are roughly based on the Tape Studer preset.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lof of analog plugins emulate some gears that are not that great to start with for saturation , or were great 15 / 30 years ago but not that great for modern sound . these day we really need details on the top, nice musical punchy transients ..so many oldschool gears just for that are limiting or not that suited but also many modern ones for some other reasons ... so even in hardware it s probably not easy to find good gears that can act as versatile saturators.. and then it need to be emulated.. with how this plugin behave i can tell it s emulated on a really good gear but it s not as hifi sounding and as silky on top , but still really great to thave this behavior in plugins, congrats to pulsar modular they are on the good way.
some companies you wonder if they spend more time on making the interface look great or on the code for the sound, i like they concentrate on the sound with attention to details
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➡️
Lof of analog plugins emulate some gears that are not that great to start with for saturation , or were great 15 / 30 years ago but not that great for modern sound . these day we really need details on the top, nice musical punchy transients ..so many oldschool gears just for that are limiting or not that suited but also many modern ones for some other reasons ... so even in hardware it s probably not easy to find good gears that can act as versatile saturators.. and then it need to be emulated.. with how this plugin behave i can tell it s emulated on a really good gear but it s not as hifi sounding and as silky on top , but still really great to thave this behavior in plugins, congrats to pulsar modular they are on the good way.
some companies you wonder if they spend more time on making the interface look great or on the code for the sound, i like they concentrate on the sound with attention to details
If you care to provide an audio file (raw) and processed (only the top end) so we can hear the silkiness you mentioned, then I can try to see what P42 is lacking and update to address it.
The original modeling was up to 15 KHz (the limit of the unit) then I simply extended it to 20 KHz. And the Air Freq. point goes from 5 KHz to 12 KHz. Is it possible that if I open up the freq. point up to 16 KHz then it will give that HiFi sound you are talking about?
I prefer to hear the sound you are hearing before I modify P42.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Pricing and Marketing

In line with my "driving on the wrong side of the highway", I will be changing the pricing to break away from the "proper" marketing of offering prices at the edge. That is, $299.99 or $249 or $399.

So for example, P42 will change from $249 to $240 and so on. And if a product is $299 then it will be $300 or $290.

When I came to the USA as a student, it took me some time to adapt to these weird pricing. Renting a video cassette was $2.99...hmm why not $3? And when I took Marketing 101, I understood the psychological manipulation that was behind it. I promised myself not to ever take additional marketing classes! The proper name should have been Manipulation 101.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
@ p900 Maybe you could include pertinent information that comes up in forums like this in your newsletters for those who no longer are interested in having to sort through the noise to locate what is valuable.

As P42 owner I look to you to keep me informed directly via email of what you think I need to know about your plug-in, updates and future upgrades and promotions.

PM me if you like, with pertinent P42 information as well. I would be happy to be updated on P42 through PM.

P42 is one heck of a plug-in.

I look forward to emails or PMs regarding future developments and wish you all the best!
unr
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes you can, this is from the FAQ (while "yes" reffers to the ability using the plugin on more than one computer):

"Yes, each license includes two activations. You activate a license from within the plugin. Challenge/Response activation or deactivation uses the internet upon your request. Thereafter, no poking or communication happens between your computer and our server. No complicated encryption or hardware protection dongle is required."

You enter the option via the question-mark on the upper right of the GUI. As far as I know you always can de- and later re-activate your plugins via that option.
Yes, I read that paragraph in the FAQ, just wanted to hear from someone who maybe uses it the same way or get confirmation from the developer.

But as I understand you, a manual deactivation is only possible when having access to the activated instance directly.
The question was if it would be possible to deactivate remotely (as possible with Mastering the mix or Arturia or Plugin Alliance)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p900 ➡️
In line with my "driving on the wrong side of the highway", I will be changing the pricing to break away from the "proper" marketing of offering prices at the edge. That is, $299.99 or $249 or $399.

So for example, P42 will change from $249 to $240 and so on. And if a product is $299 then it will be $300 or $290.

When I came to the USA as a student, it took me some time to adapt to these weird pricing. Renting a video cassette was $2.99...hmm why not $3? And when I took Marketing 101, I understood the psychological manipulation that was behind it. I promised myself not to ever take additional marketing classes! The proper name should have been Manipulation 101.
This is something that I've found both laughable and annoying over the years
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr ➡️
Yes, I read that paragraph in the FAQ, just wanted to hear from someone who maybe uses it the same way or get confirmation from the developer.

But as I understand you, a manual deactivation is only possible when having access to the activated instance directly.
The question was if it would be possible to deactivate remotely (as possible with Mastering the mix or Arturia or Plugin Alliance)
Ah.. Excellent suggestion. We will extend this service so you can log to your account on our website and deactivate a license. Expect it before year's end.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok, not bashing in the slightest on this product, but I've just downloaded the demo and tried it out to compare it to my go to distortion plugins, and found I could match all useful settings the closest with Fuse VPRE-2C. They're very close in sound, and they act the same, in that "organic" (you know what I mean) way. Maaaaybe P42 is a tiny bit more open in the low mid, but it's very subtle. I struggle to understand why I'd want to pay 5 times as much for P42, but hey, we're all different and hear different things. And maybe I'm missing something that I'll understand later on.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…