Quantcast
Focusrite announces Clarett+ range of USB Audio Interfaces - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite announces Clarett+ range of USB Audio Interfaces
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

A local store has a sale this month on the Clarett. It seemed suspicious, as if there's a new version coming soon, but no mention of the Clarett+ anywhere. I look at US websites and found a new model is coming soon. (for example B&H shows the new model for pre ordering and same for the Focusrite website).

Thing is... the price is much lower now on the Clarett. Still higher than US prices, but that's always the case. The Clarett (not the +) comes with a few extras that seem really nice (plugins, virtual instrument, etc.) and the Clarett+ doesn't have them. For what I need, I doubt I'll ever need the few small advantages of the Clarett+. Wondering if there's a reason to not get the Clarett...?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionmann ➡️
Hello. Do you think the Clarett is better than the Motu m2?

Thanks
I can't say, unfortunately. I've used both, but never compared side by side. I will say the Clarett feels a bit more robust physically.
bjg
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry ➡️
Probably a silly question, do the line inputs no the back of the Clarett+ 4Pre go direct to the converters? Speaking of which, how are the converters on this? Anyone know what converters they are using?
I just upgraded my Clarett 8pre thunderbolt with a Motu 828es because of some mechanical failures on the clarett (second headphone amp was faulty, and the adat ports were cheap and both broke their locking mechanism). I have a Clarett octopre running via adat on my motu now so I can easily see how the ad/da on the two sound; they're in the same class IMO. They had the slightest of subjective differences. If Focusrite has upgraded the conversion from the model I have, I assume we're in hair-splitting territory here.
To the TRS ins on the the Clarett: I've reached out to Focusrite and they told me that the variable gain stage on the TRS-in is different from the MIC-ins in that they're simpler and super-linear. My ears agree. In fact, I like having a gain pot before the converter on the Focusrite because I can pad the signal by an additional 7db. (9:00-ish is unity gain on my Clarett).
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjg ➡️
I just upgraded my Clarett 8pre thunderbolt with a Motu 828es because of some mechanical failures on the clarett (second headphone amp was faulty, and the adat ports were cheap and both broke their locking mechanism). I have a Clarett octopre running via adat on my motu now so I can easily see how the ad/da on the two sound; they're in the same class IMO. They had the slightest of subjective differences. If Focusrite has upgraded the conversion from the model I have, I assume we're in hair-splitting territory here.
To the TRS ins on the the Clarett: I've reached out to Focusrite and they told me that the variable gain stage on the TRS-in is different from the MIC-ins in that they're simpler and super-linear. My ears agree. In fact, I like having a gain pot before the converter on the Focusrite because I can pad the signal by an additional 7db. (9:00-ish is unity gain on my Clarett).
Which means still means the signal goes though the pre amp circuit as they told me the same thing years ago. I'm in to analog outboard gear, so I had to up my game on something a bit more professional and bough a MOTU 828ES to use as my AD / DA which is equivalent to the higher end Focusrite Red Thunderbolt/Dante range. The lower tier Focusrite stuff just really wasn't designed for that kinda of stuff esp when calibrating your converters to match the reference line level with Pro Audio gear.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…