Quantcast
Focusrite announces Clarett+ range of USB Audio Interfaces - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite announces Clarett+ range of USB Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefruit ➡️
Sweet. I always like new interfaces with good sounding preamps. And the clarets are nice preamps.

But.

How long will you (Focusrite) support it with up to date drivers?
You talk about rock solid drivers.
But the original Clarett was not up to scratch in that department.
How is this better? How have you changed your development department accordingly?
What can you promise us, the prospective buyers, in terms of longevity?

I’ll wait.
Exactly. I have a Clarette 8 Pre USB and the Presonus Quantum thunderbolt. The Clarette quit after I updated the driver, but still worked with the old drivers on my other computers. The Presonus is blazing fast and rock solid. I bypass the pres and use externals
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I assume at some point I need to upgrade my Saffire Pro 40 which is fire wire to Thunderbolt but the options are slim and pricey.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analag ➡️
Exactly. I have a Clarette 8 Pre USB and the Presonus Quantum thunderbolt. The Clarette quit ater I updated the driver, but still worked with the old drivers on my other computers. The Presonus is blazing fast and rock solid. I bypass the pres and use externals
And my 4pre USB has been 100% solid from Day 1. Their driver stability is much improved from a few years ago. Every system is different, of course.

It's nice to see the product updates, even if they're a bit modest. What seems to not change are:

1) driver update longevity
2) to focus right on latency
Gear Addict

It's starting to be like the iPhone. Small increment changes with no drastic changes. Its essentially the same product, same chassis. All three generation Claretts looks exactly the same with no new aesthetic design. Better off opting for the Red Thunderbolt range.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Do you think the new Clarett+ is better than the Motu M2? It's twice his price.... Thanks
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I can't see myself going back to USB interfaces. I like to monitor directly through the DAW for audio consistency etc and I like to bypass the rudimentary pres the interfaces comes with.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't see myself going back to USB interfaces. I like to monitor directly through the DAW for audio consistency etc and I like to bypass the rudimentary pres the interfaces comes with.
Yeah. I have something like that Presonus on my radar as a possible replacement next year. Or I might move up to RME (ha! probably not). I just wish those rack wings could be removed from the sides.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Any improvements in RTL figures ?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I used to think like that too.

But recently I got into 500 series preamps and actually started to use the built-in digital mixer in my RME interface. It has EQ+Comp and FX for just monitor use so I have started using that (like I did in the old days) and it has been great.
I have also considered getting an old outboard reverb unit just for this cause. But I digress….
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
There was some buzz about a clarett update 1 year ago or so. I was hoping for a TB system that allowed daisy chaining multiple Clarrets through TB instead of ADAT, similar to UA, Presonus and many others. This update is a bit lackluster. They're using TB connections on their higher end interfaces, confused at to why that can't utilize that tech...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Exactly. I have a Clarette 8 Pre USB and the Presonus Quantum thunderbolt. The Clarette quit after I updated the driver, but still worked with the old drivers on my other computers. The Presonus is blazing fast and rock solid. I bypass the pres and use externals
I had the opposite experience. Presonus 2626 unit failed under warranty, they were very unhelpful. Speaking with their staff was like dealing with the post office, hostile and apathetic at the same time.

Bought a focusrite, power supply failed, they were very helpful, replacing the unit and giving me an upgrade to the newest generation.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGS ➡️
using what was originally the Presonus 1824.
I wish I was young enough to think the cookie-cutter 1u interface layout was invented in ...2018.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefruit ➡️
I used to think like that too.

But recently I got into 500 series preamps and actually started to use the built-in digital mixer in my RME interface. It has EQ+Comp and FX for just monitor use so I have started using that (like I did in the old days) and it has been great.
I have also considered getting an old outboard reverb unit just for this cause. But I digress….
I have a bunch of preamps and compressors that I like to use (I'm a big fan of discrete electronics and transformers). I would monitor with an outboard reverb when I used the USB type interface, but I much prefer the way I have it now. True monitoring with no latency and ITB efx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by styphon ➡️
I had the opposite experience. Presonus 2626 unit failed under warranty, they were very unhelpful. Speaking with their staff was like dealing with the post office, hostile and apathetic at the same time.

Bought a Focusrite, power supply failed, they were very helpful, replacing the unit and giving me an upgrade to the newest generation.
I must say the only interface that ever failed was that red thing from Behringer. When the Clarette driver failed, tech support took their sweet time and didn't really help. Luckily I was using the Presonus Quantum to record with because of superior monitoring and the ability to bypass the pres. So I reconfigured the system. I still have the Saffire Pro 26 firewire interface that was much more stable than the Clarette 8pre USB. I actually prefer the sound of the Presonus mic pres to the Clarette. The Clarette DA sounds a tiny bit more hifi than the Quantum but not enough to make me use it. Which I can because I ADAT connect of additional ins or outs depending on what I'm doing. I also have the ability to sum externally to eight subs when I want to.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstan ➡️
I wish I was young enough to think the cookie-cutter 1u interface layout was invented in ...2018.
Cool, find me an older interface that has 2 combi-XRL jacks/lo-z on the front and 6 behind, 2 headphone ports, and limits +48v to either channels 1-4 or 5-8.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Cool, find me an older interface that has 2 combi-XRL jacks/lo-z on the front and 6 behind, 2 headphone ports, and limits +48v to either channels 1-4 or 5-8.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by metraith ➡️
Why does EVERY thread on this site have to turn into an argument? It’s disappointing and frustrating to see at least one of “that guy” posting in every thread, derailing things with negativity and contentious criticisms. These interfaces are likely not for everyone. This one doesn’t appeal to you? Ok. That’s fine. Move on.

Beyond that, this looks like a really promising interface line to me, and I’m looking forward to hearing what people who have used one have to say about it. Particularly interested in driver stability and performance on Windows 10.

Based on what I’ve read elsewhere, I expect my Audient id22 will eventually fail, so I’m always looking at possible replacements when and if that happens. Not looking forward to that, but if it happens the 4pre looks like it might be a really nice fit.
I like it. Every time I log in, I have my popcorn on my lap 😁
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I had the original Clarett but I had to return it as it was the most unstable piece of anything I've ever used. Now I got UR-RT2 which I think has gone **** and I'm looking for something new.

I know I should get Babyface Pro but physically the unit doesn't really work for me. Maybe I should give Focusrite another chance since I have a new cpu too..

I'm not that great with all the db-values listed in these devices specs. Does Clarett+ have better or worse gain and noise floor than Babyface?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Focusrite announces Clarett+ range of USB Audio Interfaces-mr816.jpg  
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpadre ➡️

I know I should get Babyface Pro but physically the unit doesn't really work for me. Maybe I should give Focusrite another chance since I have a new cpu too..
Get a RME UCX then.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstan ➡️
This is what I have. It's dependable with no issues. I'm just looking in the future for when it loses support and is just too old. My only problem is that I can use it without turning on my Mac but I heard you can't do that with the Thunderbolt audio interfaces. The PC/Mac has to be turned on.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyP702 ➡️
This is what I have. It's dependable with no issues. I'm just looking in the future for when it loses support and is just too old. My only problem is that I can use it without turning on my Mac but I heard you can't do that with the Thunderbolt audio interfaces. The PC/Mac has to be turned on.
Ah - my dumb post was really just in reply to the notion that the modern audio interface was invented by Presonus in 2018.

To your question / the actual topic: The Focusrite vocab for what you're looking for is Standalone Mode, which is supported by the existing Thunderbolt / Clarett line (and so certainly must also work for these).
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpadre ➡️
I had the original Clarett but I had to return it as it was the most unstable piece of anything I've ever used. Now I got UR-RT2 which I think has gone **** and I'm looking for something new.

I'm not that great with all the db-values listed in these devices specs. Does Clarett+ have better or worse gain and noise floor than Babyface?
Yeah sounds about right. I owned about 3 different interfaces from from Focusrite as all them had flakey Windows drivers. Two out of the 3 gave me the classic BSOD. I switched over to MOTU for better driver stability.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quite frankly it's a very bad business practice to give better drivers to new customers and leave the others in the dust
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread is entertaining to say the least......Informative, well, not so much....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns ➡️
This thread is entertaining to say the least......Informative, well, not so much....
It happens when a manufacturer is popular for their price/performance ratio rather than innovation and focus on their users (and customer service).
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I bought a Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen a few months ago, and I'm wondering if there is any reason why I'd want to switch to Clarett+? It seems like it had a bit more headroom, and I've heard mention of lower latency, but I'm having trouble finding specifics as to why to choose one over the other with the latest models. I've also been thinking about expanding to 16-tracks with the Scarlett OctoPre. Are there any good comparisons out there, or do we have to wait until it actually ships? Thanks!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinlayers ➡️
I bought a Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen a few months ago, and I'm wondering if there is any reason why I'd want to switch to Clarett+? It seems like it had a bit more headroom, and I've heard mention of lower latency, but I'm having trouble finding specifics as to why to choose one over the other with the latest models. I've also been thinking about expanding to 16-tracks with the Scarlett OctoPre. Are there any good comparisons out there, or do we have to wait until it actually ships? Thanks!
I'd say... probably not worth it, unless you're unhappy with the way the Scarlett sounds. If you need more inputs, the money is better spent on the Octo. There IS a difference between Scarlett and Clarett (even non plus), and I'd pick the Clarett over the Scarlett every time if buying a first interface, but upgrading without also getting more I/O I don't think is worth it.

If you want better latency, then you'd want something like the Quantum 2626.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really like my Clarett 2Pre USB. It sounds fantastic and already works with USB-C, so this Clarett+ just seems like a small update to the converters? Hardly seems worthy of a line update. Not that I'm opposed to releasing updates when you have a real improvement, but it's been less than 4 years since the Clarett USB line was released. That seems quick compared to previous interface iterations.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath ➡️
I really like my Clarett 2Pre USB. It sounds fantastic and already works with USB-C, so this Clarett+ just seems like a small update to the converters? Hardly seems worthy of a line update. Not that I'm opposed to releasing updates when you have a real improvement, but it's been less than 4 years since the Clarett USB line was released. That seems quick compared to previous interface iterations.
Hello. Do you think the Clarett is better than the Motu m2?

Thanks
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Probably a silly question, do the line inputs no the back of the Clarett+ 4Pre go direct to the converters? Speaking of which, how are the converters on this? Anyone know what converters they are using?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…