Quantcast
The Dark One - Bass instrument for Kontakt - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Dark One - Bass instrument for Kontakt
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Addict
 
nikodemos's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The Dark One - Bass instrument for Kontakt

Hey everybody, I'm very glad to announce my new Bass instrument for Kontakt....The Dark One!



From mellow, melodic indie bass lines all the way to fuzzy, noisy psychedelic tones...The Dark One is the way to go! From the detailed sampling and natural sounding articulations all the way to individual subharmonics and gain control and from the custom amp noise and bias control to the extended eq and dynamics processing...The Dark One is destined to become your "go to" bass guitar for indie, post punk, new wave, noise and experimental and every other genre requiring tons of character and vibe.

Together with the free BA533 SID it becomes a complete arsenal of unique bass sounds and sonic options.

The Dark One requires a full version of Kontakt (v6 or higher) and you can get it right now from
www.mixingnik.com
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Sounds great. i would love to hear what it sounds like in repetitive mode on a note.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by broco ➑️
Sounds great. i would love to hear what it sounds like in repetitive mode on a note.
For $6, I’m going to buy later as I have a potential use for it. If I get time, I’ll do a repetitive note test and upload for you 😊
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymead ➑️
For $6, I’m going to buy later as I have a potential use for it. If I get time, I’ll do a repetitive note test and upload for you 😊
Wow, that would be nice.
Old 6 days ago
  #5
Gear Addict
 
nikodemos's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hey everybody!

thanks so much for your interest!

I attached a small 8th nots bassline in .wav format with 2 or 3 different settings (I hope this is what you were looking for to hear).

also don't forget to check my completely free BA533 SID - The Punk Bass:



I think the two combined create a very powerful indie, postpunk etc bass arsenal.

thanks again....hope you'll enjoy both!
Attached Files

THE DARK ONE DEMO 8th note.wav (15.51 MB, 524 views)

Old 5 days ago
  #6
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Hi @ nikodemos (or anyone who might have any suggestion): I yesterday purchased and downloaded both The Dark One and BA553 SID, and they sound great, except that the Dark One is giving me a frequent strange arcade-synth sound when I play it in addition to the bass tones (audio file attached). The audio file is just the Kontakt instrument - no other instruments or effects whatsoever. I'm using the latest Kontakt 6.6.1 on Mac OS 10.15.7. This happens both with freestanding Kontakt and the plugin in Logic. I emailed the developer directly and will update this post with any response, but in the meantime, anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I've also added an image of the amp configuration where the sound is most evident (although It's always there to a greater or lesser extent).
Attached Thumbnails
The Dark One  - Bass instrument for Kontakt-screen-shot-2021-09-12-10.02.28-pm.jpg  
Attached Files

Output 1-2.mp3 (162.6 KB, 21 views)


Last edited by SirkusPi; 5 days ago at 03:04 AM.. Reason: Add image of amp configuration
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #7
Gear Addict
 
nikodemos's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirkusPi ➑️
Hi @ nikodemos (or anyone who might have any suggestion): I yesterday purchased and downloaded both The Dark One and BA553 SID, and they sound great, except that the Dark One is giving me a frequent strange arcade-synth sound when I play it in addition to the bass tones (audio file attached). The audio file is just the Kontakt instrument - no other instruments or effects whatsoever. I'm using the latest Kontakt 6.6.1 on Mac OS 10.15.7. This happens both with freestanding Kontakt and the plugin in Logic. I emailed the developer directly and will update this post with any response, but in the meantime, anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I've also added an image of the amp configuration where the sound is most evident (although It's always there to a greater or lesser extent).
Hi there and thanks for your support!

Let me highlight one or two things that might be helpful:

1. the specific instruments are designed to emulate a rather specific approach to bass guitar...this means a more natural, humanised approach (for the specific genres) with fret noises, a more realistic tuning (no perfect pitch here) etc. Also there are some artefacts included as a feedback in sustained notes etc.....so sounding like a broken crapy little amp is quite expected with certain settings

2. In order to get a more human feel in playing (again for the specific genres) the instruments are not exactly polyphonic but rather monophonic emulating a more "one string" playing approach. This simply means that each note stops the previous (in a more complicated way but that's the point). Also a quite realistic note off sound sample is added in order to give an extra natural sounding "crappy" indie bass...

3. the far right knob (BUZ) inserts a series of random fret noises, so you 'll probably want to turn this down.

4. In finger style mode (as it is in your example) the GAIN knob is actually a Fuzz distortion and not a subtle overdrive as in Picking mode. As this is a sample based effect and not dsp it includes feedback in sustained notes etc. This combined with the polyphony settings may cause this "problem": in a busy or chord pattern only certain notes will be heard (I guess this is kind of inconvenient but to me it sounds a bit logical as both instruments aim at certain genres and styles and not trying or claim to be an all around bass instrument ).

5. Have in mind that each of the 4 big white knobs is independent of each other , controlling a completely different sample group, allowing you to create a wide variety of sounds (always with the specific genres in mind).


having said all that I assume that the problem lies on the polyphony (or rather lack of) of the instrument as it was designed with a certain approach in mind....however I find your observation very useful and intriguing and thanks so much for taking the time
if you could find the time and send me the midi pattern (in a standard midi file) you used I could explore this issue in more depth and probably make an improvement in the settings.

however if for any reason you feel that the instrument does not meet up with your expectations please let me know and I will refund your purchase immediately

feel free to send me an email with questions or whatever at
[email protected]

thanks again!
Old 5 days ago
  #8
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Thanks for the detailed response! I certainly wasn't trying to play polyphonically, but I also very likely was being sloppy as I was just "playing around." I'll try again later tonight and really pay attention to hitting clean, separate notes. Everything sounds great (except for that one issue), so I'm very optimistic that will resolve everything.

Thanks again for the quick response!
Old 4 days ago
  #9
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Ok, I tested it more methodically, and the problem seems only to occur:

1) Only on notes D1 to F#1 inclusive. Everything G1 and up is fine.
2) Only on every 4th keypress. In other words, on the affected D1 to F#1 notes, it'll cycle through 3 times just fine, but then on the 4th press of the same note (regardless of whether other notes are played in the middle) make the distinct "arcade synth" sound in addition to the bass note. Maybe it's a round robin problem? Every note G1 to the top of the range is fine, no matter how often I play it.

The above occurs regardless of how long a gap I leave between playing one of the affected notes, so it's not a polyphony issue.

Nimkodemos, can you try playing one of the D1 to F#1 notes on the settings in my picture above and let me know if you're hearing anything too? Or maybe it's somehow something strange in my system. If you're not hearing anything, are you using the latest Kontakt 6.6.1?

Thanks!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #10
Gear Addict
 
nikodemos's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirkusPi ➑️
Ok, I tested it more methodically, and the problem seems only to occur:

1) Only on notes D1 to F#1 inclusive. Everything G1 and up is fine.
2) Only on every 4th keypress. In other words, on the affected D1 to F#1 notes, it'll cycle through 3 times just fine, but then on the 4th press of the same note (regardless of whether other notes are played in the middle) make the distinct "arcade synth" sound in addition to the bass note. Maybe it's a round robin problem? Every note G1 to the top of the range is fine, no matter how often I play it.

The above occurs regardless of how long a gap I leave between playing one of the affected notes, so it's not a polyphony issue.

Nimkodemos, can you try playing one of the D1 to F#1 notes on the settings in my picture above and let me know if you're hearing anything too? Or maybe it's somehow something strange in my system. If you're not hearing anything, are you using the latest Kontakt 6.6.1?

Thanks!
thanks so much for your efforts @ SirkusPi !

ok, I tracked down the problem, it is a single sample on the 4th RR of the Fuzz sample library....it occurs only in a small velocity range (and doesn't exist in other values higher or lower). This is just a sample on E note (which ranges from D to F#) that on the Fuzz group starts with a tiny feedback....it probably sounded cool during recording but I can really see that it is kind of awkward and meaningless....

so thanks so much for pointing this out I am going to fix it ASAP and upload a new version of the instrument.
I will resend you the download link via the email you entered in my website


thanks again!!
Old 2 days ago
  #11
Gear Addict
 
nikodemos's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The Dark One mkII

Hey everybody... the fixed version of "The Dark One" is now online and available!

a valid download link with the updated version was sent to all the people who already bought it - please let me know if you have any trouble with the download.


thanks again for the support and write some killer bass riffs!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump