Quantcast
Softube delivers British Class A plug-in - Plus Extended Features - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube delivers British Class A plug-in - Plus Extended Features
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➡️
I'd love to hear that myself. Was that on a multi-tracked set of drums or something else? I've never heard anything phasey when I've used Gold4 but probably the songs I use to work on don't really show that.
If I can get a renew of my trial I could probably find a bit of time to do that actually.
It was on few tracks, acoustic drums but also synths and even tried only on the full mix to see if I wasn’t tripping.
I noticed it just by comparing two tracks between each other (so not even a phase relationship between multi-mics sources).
Because the phase and magnitude behavior of an EQ can - as you probably already know regarding you pedigree - really affect the transient response.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR ➡️
If I can get a renew of my trial I could probably find a bit of time to do that actually.
It was on few tracks, acoustic drums but also synths and even tried only on the full mix to see if I wasn’t tripping.
I noticed it just by comparing two tracks between each other (so not even a phase relationship between multi-mics sources).
Because the phase and magnitude behavior of an EQ can - as you probably already know regarding you pedigree - really affect the transient response.
Maybe that happened with Gold3? I never used Gold3 or any other previous iteration of that plug-in so I don't know if they were doing something funny. I'm mostly parked at the 1081, the mic preamps (all of them), and the bus preamps specially the buss 52, 77 and sometimes 73.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Maybe that happened with Gold3? I never used Gold3 or any other previous iteration of that plug-in so I don't know if they were doing something funny. I'm mostly parked at the 1081, the mic preamps (all of them), and the bus preamps specially the buss 52, 77 and sometimes 73.
It could be, I remember I tried because of the update/deal that was offered at the time. It was probably one or two year ago.
Quote:
I was one of those weirdos in the studio that turned to a 1081 over a 1073 when I had the option to. 1073's sometimes got a little too muddy. Not always of course, but the extra EQ options were nice for EQing on the way in which I did frequently.

Regarding Gold 4, I too mostly use the 1081 and preamps. Although the majority of time I gravitate towards the old UAD 1081. My computer can handle AA but sometimes they still act finicky and I prefer the stable algo stuff. The 8115 top end is also fantastic, I find I turn to AA in very specific instances, almost where I would turn to a piece of hardware if I only had one or two of them. And I'll admit I rarely use things in "extreme" settings so I can't say I personally have experienced that, which is why it was interesting hearing how phasey the example sounded.

None the less, if I was in the market for an older style Neve channel strip, this Softube one sounds great.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos ➡️
It seems that the only plugins that don't have extended features are the ones that come from C1, that is the British and American Class A.
Thanks for the info, that's a bummer. I'm already growing to love and depend on those features.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos ➡️
It seems that the only plugins that don't have extended features are the ones that come from C1, that is the British and American Class A.
why only do I think softube
will release an updated version of american class A - with more api like knobs as well…?

They are a company who constantly listens to customer input
and delivers new, useful features for us users
Not in a handclap but right in the long term.

Talking about wishes -
I really would like to be able to select plugin formats
when updating my softube plugins.
Like PA does it - being able to select AU or VST etc. only would save
your computer from installing all the unnecessary stuff, your
respective DAW does not need.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Just nudging this so perhaps other people will learn about this; I really like it and think my quest is over.

I got the Harrison 32c recently but have also been checking out the bx_consoles (Neve & SSL) and Satson channel strip which I had but forgot about over time.

Out of all of these these Softube channel is my favourite. The drive knob does it all and I have less plugins per channel now.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
Ok
I figured that the best way to test all of them would be to see how they would work in a mix. Since I'm doing my testing specifically on the drums I decided to monitor with bass and guitars so that whatever I did would work in a mix context. I am happy to report that they all did.

However I am still surprised at how different they all are.

In no particular order:
British Class A
Lindell 80
UAD 1084 with UAD 2254
BB n105 with UAD 2254
Acustica Gold 4
I love Softube´s Bristish Class A most.
I sold PA Lindel 80, because I just never used it, compared to Softube the drive is kinda muddy, but it is Plugin Alliance´s by far best plugin imo.
BB N105 by kidplugins (or plugins for kids?!) is broken, buggy, heavy on cpu, awful gui, I can not take it seriously and Acustica is way too heavy on cpu, gui not resizable and distracting and thus not good for my worklflow.
I ran 8 instances of Softube without any issue, great performance and great quality, fun to use with a nice gui.

I am not surprised they are different, I read that most Neve hardware units are different, too.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Just bought the American Class A, on sale for British Class A owners. Nice on drums and bass with British Class A on guitars and vocals.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love softube stuff. will probably buy this - have Lindell as well but came down with covid the day after I DL'd the demo. haven't been able to mess about with it at all. been watching this thread to learn what I can. feeling better and will probably get to test it today.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have the Lindell as well, but after demoing I had to buy the softube. Saturation is beautiful, just like the Lindell, but the sound is more open and full.
Gear Head

Please let somebody tell me that he/she prefers the Lindell 80 over the Softube.

I want to sleep well tonight...

BTW, I mixed this song using the Lindell 80 CS en Bus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8BkF966WWQ
Lives for gear

42 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lambert ➡️
Just nudging this so perhaps other people will learn about this; I really like it and think my quest is over.

I got the Harrison 32c recently but have also been checking out the bx_consoles (Neve & SSL) and Satson channel strip which I had but forgot about over time.

Out of all of these these Softube channel is my favourite. The drive knob does it all and I have less plugins per channel now.
The BX Console has a drive knob as well. At this point, there are already so many great Neve plug ins. I wish Softube focused on something different.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➡️
The BX Console has a drive knob as well. At this point, there are already so many great Neve plug ins. I wish Softube focused on something different.
They actually did with the overstayer. Nothing wrong to upgrade some older plugins here and there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1973 ➡️
Please let somebody tell me that he/she prefers the Lindell 80 over the Softube.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Lindell and your mix sounds on point man. I have the Lindell and think it sounds great, more to the point I won't be buying this. I just don't need it since I have more than enough NEVE flavors available. This is really good but its not indispensable
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Alex , is that you singing ? real good vibe

The lindell seems to give that fatness needed for the track to be lay back ... the lindell 80 is exellent and i much prefer it to the api attemp imho , i do prefer the softube for the precision , but color wise the lindell can be what's needed sometime and in that case it's obvious imho
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Thank you!

Yes, it's me alone in my studio after a couple of beers.
So the title is a bit misleading, because my distributor added '(Live)' to the title.
All the parts were played in one take, so in that sense it is 'live'.
It started as a joke, but the result was nice, so I decided to release it.

I am really satisfied with the Lindell 80 CS and I also use the Lindell 354E on the mixbus after the Lindell 80 bus to complete it with when I want that Neve sound. Also great for reggae!

Good stuff!
Old 22 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you!

Yes, it's me alone in my studio after a couple of beers.
So the title is a bit misleading, because my distributor added '(Live)' to the title.
All the parts were played in one take, so in that sense it is 'live'.
It started as a joke, but the result was nice, so I decided to release it.

I am really satisfied with the Lindell 80 CS and I also use the Lindell 354E on the mixbus after the Lindell 80 bus to complete it with when I want that Neve sound. Also great for reggae!

Good stuff!
Really liked the vibes as well as you reggae stuff
I think if you're confortablewith the lindell stick to it , i got the lindell because i needed neve CS outside DSP and C1 , if they had released it from day one it that format it would have made me skip the lindell ... but same could be said if i had the lindell first .....
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️

The lindell seems to give that fatness needed for the track to be lay back ... the lindell 80 is exellent and i much prefer it to the api attemp imho , i do prefer the softube for the precision , but color wise the lindell can be what's needed sometime and in that case it's obvious imho
I also like the fact they are different, but for me there are two reasons not to use Plugin Alliance or Brainworx or Lindell. I just could not get decent results especially on electric bass. I mean a drive knob or saturation should normally work well on bass, but the Lindell drive sounded kinda unpleasant to my ears. Wheras with Softube I managed to get some great results within 2 minutes. The second reason is the fact that PA's TMT is fake and their Amek console has not even got oversampling. I watched Dan Worrall's video about two weeks ago and was really disappointed. They claim TMT to be a special even patented feature, but it's obviously just some eq settings and the feature is useless or counterproductive anyway and they also claim to have some strange cpu friendly oversampling in all of their plugins. PA has lost me as a customer, I can't take PA seriously, did not use their plugins a lot anyway.
Btw your videos on yt are great and you do not seem to join some youtubers new direction to reveal things like Dan Worrall, Paul Third and there's one more!? , but it's ok to go the nice way.
Well, devs like Harrison, Plugin Alliance, Sonible, Kit Plugins and Acustica Audio seem to walk on thin ice :D
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…