Quantcast
Softube announces first-ever Overstayer plug-in - Plus Extended Features - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube announces first-ever Overstayer plug-in - Plus Extended Features
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
Well…. Spent some time with Overstayer (basic) and Kelvin this morning and have to say that I much prefer Overstayer as a mixbus/mastering processor. There’s a depth and liveliness to Overstayer that I can’t match with Kelvin. I tried pushing them both way over the top to pronounce the effects.

To my ears, the Kelvin sounds flatter in height/dynamics/width. Also less pleasing to the ear which I’m sure I could match better playing with the emphasis controls in Kelvin. In terms of width, obviously, Kelvin has the harmonics width control but still much prefer the dynamics and tone of Overstayer. Just used the ‘Mixing chain’ preset.

I have already purchased Kelvin so no bias there.

The thing I love about Overstayer is that you set it and move on in most cases. You don’t have to spend ages fiddling with gain staging and settings.

Think I’d find it hard to let go when the demo period ends!

Edit:

They’re both unbelievably good - definitely need both
I liked the normal Version. I love the extended Version. Wait till u try this beast.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➡️
I liked the normal Version. I love the extended Version. Wait till u try this beast.
Ok mate, this isn't a good sign - I'm doomed!

The density this adds is amazing.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion ➡️
LOL!
To each their own. This is definitely not digital nonsense.
Purchased, I guess I like "digital nonsense".
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It´s been 4 days now since i bought from softube driectly. How long usually when license is delivered to Ilok or to the web page "my account"?

edit: contacted support, got things running, was my mess.

Last edited by souljahh; 15 hours ago at 07:48 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh ➡️
It´s been 4 days now since i bought from softube driectly. How long usually when license is delivered to Ilok or to the web page "my account"?
always same time .. never waited on a license from Softube
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, normally instantly
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➡️
always same time .. never waited on a license from Softube
Was your card charged? It's always been instant for me as well.
TGP
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Where do you put this on your mix bus? I tried both before and after bus compression, and did not hear much of a difference. Am I deaf already?

I also struggle to hear a difference when placed before or after other forms of saturation, like tape sims.

Also I expected this to sound completely different when used before or after such things as gullfoss, but again, I'd say the difference is barely noticeable.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It’s great on spiky clean guitars and before/after buss compression.
I’m using it as an analog clipper or limiter.
I will start driving it harder on some material, but I would recommend it for the clipping use case only.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Had to buy it several days into the demo. Had time today to compare it with Kelvin, HG-2 MS and VSM-4. Overstayer is a clear winner for my ears for mix duties. I have so many uses for this lil’ baby.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Had to buy it several days into the demo. Had time today to compare it with Kelvin, HG-2 MS and VSM-4. Overstayer is a clear winner for my ears for mix duties. I have so many uses for this lil’ baby.
Now that's a statment
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Now that's a statment
Ha! You may disagree
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ha! You may disagree
Give the 3 usual suspect you named , taste wise we're similar ... so i'm kinda scare to try it lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Give the 3 usual suspect you named , taste wise we're similar ... so i'm kinda scare to try it lol
Oh man, for now - it’s the next best thing to hardware! It has this magic ability where you think it’s doing nothing and when you hit bypass - WOW!!

It seems to have more depth than the others too.

Sorry

P.S. I have been known to get over excited about new releases..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart ➡️
Native Inflator goes on sale for cheap once in a while. I think I paid around 30eur for it a year ago...

Back to topic - I am trying to not like this as it's relatively expensive but there is a sort of openness that I can't seem to get from Kelvin/Tupe/other saturators so far.

Has anyone found something that does the "open midrange saturation"
in a similar fashion to MAS in plugin land?
No!!!!
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I mean… its good, really good.
But if you have kelvin I wouldn’t lose sleep over it
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx ➡️
I mean… its good, really good.
But if you have kelvin I wouldn’t lose sleep over it
No Kelvin here , great but nothing i can' thave with my other stuff ....
What 's got my attention is some comment about transients .... something really rarely handled well itb ....
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush ➡️
What does "digital nonsense" suppose to mean?
That's a very good question. In this case in my own rather warped mind, it's whenever digital rears its ugly bits. Or as in the intended programming does not work as intended. But as I do keep an open mind I have found this plugin to be the saving grace for a solo banjo album I am working on. The intense transients are smoothed in a very relaxing way for lack of a better description. So even grumpy me has purchase it even if its use is at least here is very limited so far but stellar in its first success.
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz ➡️
TThe intense transients are smoothed in a very relaxing way for lack of a better description. So even grumpy me has purchase it even if its use is at least here is very limited so far but stellar in its first success.

So your saying its not "digital nonsense" after all.....?

Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No Kelvin here , great but nothing i can' thave with my other stuff ....
What 's got my attention is some comment about transients .... something really rarely handled well itb ....
i don't find it nearly as good with that as Saturn2 with transient detection routed inverse to drive parameter, also i don't think there's much dynamic stuff going on under the hood. Less than in Kelvin's Hygge II and Boutique.

it's good with kicks and low end transients because you can de-emphasize them (as you can with Kelvin - or any other saturation if you bother sandwiching it between two EQs).

But then again i prefer smoothing transients with compressors so i don't like it when saturators overly squash them.
I guess i'm talking about the opposite transient operation that the other guy was
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWZ ➡️
So your saying its not "digital nonsense" after all.....?

Or he is saying "digital nonsense" has it's limited uses !
Old 9 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i don't find it nearly as good with that as Saturn2 with transient detection routed inverse to drive parameter, also i don't think there's much dynamic stuff going on under the hood. Less than in Kelvin's Hygge II and Boutique.

it's good with kicks and low end transients because you can de-emphasize them (as you can with Kelvin - or any other saturation if you bother sandwiching it between two EQs).

But then again i prefer smoothing transients with compressors so i don't like it when saturators overly squash them.
I guess i'm talking about the opposite transient operation that the other guy was
Am I the other guy?! I find that ‘most’ software compressors accentuate rather than smooth attacks - even with fast attack times. I’m sure cleverer people than me find a way of dealing with this!

I find that overstayer can really control this hardness like the analogue gear I have.
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Nut

I’ve tried it on an 808 for bass presence but i like way more the bass section of UAD Helios 69.
Money saved,thanks god
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
i don't find it nearly as good with that as Saturn2 with transient detection routed inverse to drive parameter
Thanks! I've never tried that, just gave it a go in multiband mode with this mapped to the mid-lows and mids drive band. It's really nice to avoid some oversaturation of transient-laden dynamic mid-range vocals.

Then to help reduce mid saturation a bit more in relation to HF saturation, I routed a transient detection (positive) to the high band to drive, and also routed inverse (negative) the HF band to the mid band drive so that as the high freq came in it would saturate more but the mids would saturate less.

This opened my eyes to new uses in Saturn2. Thanks much!
Old 4 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Am I the other guy?! I find that ‘most’ software compressors accentuate rather than smooth attacks - even with fast attack times. I’m sure cleverer people than me find a way of dealing with this!

I find that overstayer can really control this hardness like the analogue gear I have.
Great tip. Thanks alot! Soon as I read this I knew where I had to try it... My problem child. I put Overstayer after an instance of Softube Chandler Germanium Compressor, which in my hands is ridiculously punchy. Germainium does a remarkably dramatic enhancement of transients. Overstayer did indeed round these off beautifully.

And since Germanium predominately emphasizes low freq punchiness, I could use the freq-dependent saturation to catch that low end and round the punch off a bit. I've really struggled to deal with the punch of Germanium. On rap or intentionally plosive vocals Germanium is amazing to blend in from a return track, kinda unparalleled in my limited experience.

But having Overstayer after it is super pleasant, a whole new world to Germanium... With Overstayer afterward, now I can use the Zener Hard with a Ratio of 4-5 and a decent amount of Drive and still not get slaughtered with punchy plosives. I'm very happy with the combo. I've tried other saturation after Germanium before but this sounded better, maybe due to the frequency shaping in the Overstayer Advanced.

I'll have to revisit this now with other saturators that have some frequency shaping to see if Overstayer is that special for this purpose or if I just overlooked the best use of the other ones. Like HG2-MS with the saturation shape knob, or VSM-3, VSM-4 with their shape knobs. Or Saturn2 may be a goodie. But, that's for another day. I'm loving Chandler Germanium -> Overstayer right now.
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Please forgive the newbie question, but what are you all trying to do with the transients and this thing? My best guess at the moment is to shave them off without losing punch, increasing headroom and maintaining or increasing RMS energy. So maybe hitting this thing on the drum bus BEFORE what/if any bus compression, so the comp doesn't work as hard and the punchy transients are perceptually intact. Close? Feel free to wax poetic on this.
I'm doing a battle of all my saturators at the moment. I've only ever used them as tone/vibe shapers, not so much for specifically changing the peak/RMS relationship. If anything it's getting me to dig deeper into VSM4, and get more adventurous with Kelvin, and vice versa. As someone else said, I can't exactly duplicate Overstayer with those other two. They're just different and guide my workflow in different ways, dunno if any is better than another yet. I can't budget for this at the moment, but I'm enjoying playing and learning.
Maybe I'm listening for the wrong things. So yeah, transients. I'm all ears. Go!
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie-1 ➡️
Nice, briefly tested against mas on my mod channel and was pleasantly surprised, haven't done a proper test as that loops through converters and other gear, but hopefully get a chance to test it more thoroughly before intro vanishes.
Yeah it’s great. I’m now using the plug on the mix now keeping the modular channel always free for the crazy stuff it’s born to do
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…