Quantcast
Softube announces first-ever Overstayer plug-in - Plus Extended Features - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube announces first-ever Overstayer plug-in - Plus Extended Features
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oxford Inflator Plus Softube Overystayer Plus Oxford Limiter.

https://youtu.be/Fxc2MbBDQgo
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

After more futzing with this plugin I have decided its a no go here. Just sound like digital nonsense on most things. Now and then it works but few and far between. To use it as a bread a butter kind of enhancer will be yet another fad that will fade as people realize how many songs would be better without it. Cold water on the fire of excitement.

Edit: It does work wonders on a solo banjo album going on here. In a pretty sophisticated way it is taming the harsh transients.

Last edited by AudioSoundzz; 8 hours ago at 03:08 PM.. Reason: More time with plugin
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
You prefer it over HG-2 MS and VSM-4 ?

I have HG-2 MS ( haven't used too much) and haven't demoed VSM-4 as have been using Kelvin..... Haven't demoed this Overstayer yet either.....
Hmm, I’d like to say yes - overall but too early to pass blanket judgement. The thing with the overstayer is, it’s different..

It messes far more with transients which could be a good or bad thing I guess. In my case, I’ve been using it to take the edges off things which are too spiky and rounding things off but also adding hair to sub basses. It’s so good as a mix tool.

I’ll be using it on drum buses definitely. I really like the sound of the saturation too when driven.

I suppose it can be subtle when used lightly on mixbus but it’s the sort of processor where you won’t go too far wrong if you’re careful and you definitely miss it when you hit bypass!

Try it!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz ➡️
After more futzing with this plugin I have decided its a no go here. Just sound like digital nonsense on most things. Now and then it works but few and far between. To use it as a bread a butter kind of enhancer will be yet another fad that will fade as people realize how many songs would be better without it. Cold water on the fire of excitement.
What does "digital nonsense" suppose to mean?
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
You prefer it over HG-2 MS and VSM-4 ?

I have HG-2 MS ( haven't used too much) and haven't demoed VSM-4 as have been using Kelvin..... Haven't demoed this Overstayer yet either.....
if you have kelvin you don't need Overstayer imho.

I used overstayer until kelvin came out.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx ➡️

The hardware Overstayer?!

Not saying you are wrong in any way but interested how you use Kelvin in place of OS in terms of application and settings.

Haven’t thought to compare these two yet.
Lives for gear
Quote:

I did try to match them and find comparable settings on Kelvin, but so far I have not managed. Although, I spent very little time on that.

Maybe you have some suggestions? I found that Kelvin always seemed fuller, not as detailed and I could not get that classy open sounding saturation on mixbus.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Smile

Interesting to know more on the overstayer / kelvin comparison debate...
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart ➡️
I did try to match them and find comparable settings on Kelvin, but so far I have not managed. Although, I spent very little time on that.

Maybe you have some suggestions? I found that Kelvin always seemed fuller, not as detailed and I could not get that classy open sounding saturation on mixbus.
I'll look into it, been a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
The hardware Overstayer?!

Not saying you are wrong in any way but interested how you use Kelvin in place of OS in terms of application and settings.

Haven’t thought to compare these two yet.
No, i meant the plugin
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'll look into it, been a while

No, i meant the plugin
You used the Overstayer plugin until Kelvin came out??? 🤔
You mean the opposite?
unr
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush ➡️
You used the Overstayer plugin until Kelvin came out??? ������
You mean the opposite?
He is obviously a beta tester

Me too, btw, and I love the Overstayer plugin, I also own Kelvin. It's quite different IMO.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr ➡️
Me too, btw, and I love the Overstayer plugin, I also own Kelvin. It's quite different IMO.
In your opinion, how are they different?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This part, I meant!

Overstayer is new - unless you have the hardware
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
This part, I meant!

Overstayer is new - unless you have the hardware

Quote:
He is obviously a beta tester
Old 2 days ago
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
unr
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Derek ➡️
In your opinion, how are they different?
The workflow is different.

Overstayer has a "simple" plugin and a extended version.
Where the simple option offers some goto settings and is just quick.
Of course Kelvin also has presets, but this is a different workflow.

Also the saturation is different, where Kelvin has more options to saturate. But Overstayer sounds/feels different. As always, nothing works on everything and it's taste dependent.

Overstayer MAS Extended on the other side, has better options to control the saturation Emphasis. Although of course Kelvin can do this do, but differently. It's a bit more visual and approachable in Overstayer IMO.

Overstayer has the new Softube metering/extended features which is also a workflow plus.

Kelvin has different additional features like Defuzz/Spread.

So each tool has its pro and contras. I think they can coexist well.
Also Overstayer is usable in other Softube eco systems like Amp Room and Modular.

Edit:
Need to add, Overstayer also offers additional ways to change saturation
From the manual:
Quote:
Dual: Adds a second discrete stage in series to the signal path spreading the load amongst both stages, creating a more complex harmonic character.

2nd: Shifts the response of the circuitry to have stronger second harmonic content.
I encourage to read it. It helps better understand the possibilities with this. Quite a different approach than Kelvin.
https://www.softube.com/manuals/over...m-a-s-extended
Old 2 days ago
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good assesment.
Considering pure unemphasised algos, i find Hygge II the most similar to overstayer, with the obvious "pure 2nd" in second stage behaving similar to OS "2nd".
Dual is not as clear cut, but Kelvin's dual stage is a different approach to a similar concept.

OS has an edge on Emphasis because it simply has one more band, on the other hand Kelvin has selectable frequency on every band as opposed to fixed bands of OS.

They can coexist, but for me the dealbreaker is Native M2 compatibility of Kelvin which translates to much faster load times, more instances and much more stable operation. Sonic differences aren't as a big as these workflow benefits are to me, and at the end of the day I feel Kelvin does more.

Not to crap on Overstayer, it's by far one of the best saturators recently released and the controls are tuned to perfection as expected for Softube, and it's one of the rare saturators with compensated emphasis (I can only think of Kelvin, Tupe and Spectre that have that) which alone is IMO worth it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Kelvin came before Overstayer... Soo... how did you use Overstayer until Kelvin came out?
unr
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English ➡️
Kelvin came before Overstayer... Soo... how did you use Overstayer until Kelvin came out?
Please read at least the recent 5 messages before you get angry
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Please read at least the recent 5 messages before you get angry
It was a Question... Far from anything emotional...
unr
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English ➡️
It was a Question... Far from anything emotional...
It wasn't meant like that from me either, that's why the smileys.
Anyway, as said, and as you can read, he is a beta tester for Softube and got it some months ago in a private beta.
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've been on a bit of a Softube kick recently (at the expense of my wallet) but last night I also started comparing Overstayer vs. Kelvin. Not trying to make them sound identical at all, just using them both on the same sources and trying to get different variations of good sounds from each. So far, using electric guitars and synth pads, I just consistently preferred Kelvin too. Will try out drums, vocals, and mixbus over the next 20 days. Don't mean to say Overstayer sounds "bad" at all, it was just a different flavor, and I preferred the sounds I was getting out of Kelvin. It could just be that Kelvin's UI and my familiarity with it is getting me good results quicker. Also haven't even opened the "Extended version" yet. But yeah, Kelvin definitely more than holds it's own against similar products.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Post #166 on page 6 features Overstayer on an 808 loop (both standard and extended), where I tried to match it with Kelvin (dual stage Hygge II). Not trying to match 100%, just checking whether I could get something of similar quality. Just moved on instinct, 10-20 sec per loop. My goal was to see whether I could get roughly the same vibe in a mixing context, where you have something in mind, pick a tool and move fast.

I have so many saturation tools by now, that I feel I can cover many saturation plugins with what I already have. Although sometimes there is a new flavor. But I was for instance roughly able to match UAD Thermionic CV with Elysia Karacter on a lot of settings (I can provide audio if wanted). Of course I can hear a difference, just as I can with the Overstayer and Kelvin. But I can make Overstayer sound better than Kelvin, and I can make Kelvin sound better than Overstayer. So then it comes down to ergonomics and whether a plugin has a really specific sound you like.

In conclusion, in a mix situation I would have a hard time clearly choosing Overstayer over Kelvin. There's just not enough difference between them I feel (which is not saying they sound the same).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOL!
To each their own. This is definitely not digital nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz ➡️
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
new pugs are great. but can we can get M1 support already ?
My gui jumping all over the place on M1 mac. come on man
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnMix Studio ➡️
It’s up to iLok/PACE. Softube can’t go M1 without working copy protection on the M1 first. PACE isn’t ready yet so everyone that uses it must wait.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

today I tried the extended Version and its a beauty. Its now on my vox bus and my mix bus on the song I was working today. Will be hard to take it off again.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnMix Studio ➡️
It works here good under Rosetta. There is a Grafics Option in the Option turn that off (sorry forgot the name and my computer is already off)
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➡️
It works here good under Rosetta. There is a Grafics Option in the Option turn that off (sorry forgot the name and my computer is already off)
OpenGL

anyway, it works fine sort of yeah.
but load times and working with native plugs (Voxengo,Valhalla, FabFilter, ToneProjects, u-he, Melda) is something else.
I'm avoiding non-native plugins because running native is simply such a blast.

Also Softube plugins will not work properly unless the host is in rosetta. If host is native and only plugins are bridge, Softube falls apart.
Oeksound i.e. works fine, so you can actually run a mixed architecture session. with softube you can't
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well…. Spent some time with Overstayer (basic) and Kelvin this morning and have to say that I much prefer Overstayer as a mixbus/mastering processor. There’s a depth and liveliness to Overstayer that I can’t match with Kelvin. I tried pushing them both way over the top to pronounce the effects.

To my ears, the Kelvin sounds flatter in height/dynamics/width. Also less pleasing to the ear which I’m sure I could match better playing with the emphasis controls in Kelvin. In terms of width, obviously, Kelvin has the harmonics width control but still much prefer the dynamics and tone of Overstayer. Just used the ‘Mixing chain’ preset.

I have already purchased Kelvin so no bias there.

The thing I love about Overstayer is that you set it and move on in most cases. You don’t have to spend ages fiddling with gain staging and settings.

Think I’d find it hard to let go when the demo period ends!

Edit:

They’re both unbelievably good - definitely need both
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…