Quantcast
WesAudio _RHEA - fully analog, stereo vari-mu tube compressor with digital recall - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WesAudio _RHEA - fully analog, stereo vari-mu tube compressor with digital recall
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
@ WesAudio for those dealers in the US that have sold out, what’s the ETA on them getting more stock??

I need to get one of these I think.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
WesAudio

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tansao ➡️
@ WesAudio for those dealers in the US that have sold out, what’s the ETA on them getting more stock??

I need to get one of these I think.
I think that most of the US dealers have stock. It is hard for me to tell how exactly units were shared between US dealers by our distributor, and also I don't have any knowledge of the units which are possibly in transit to their werehouses.

But in wost case if all units were sold out (which I really doubt), it will be around 4 weeks before next batch will reach US.

-Michal
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just pulled the trigger on one! The recall ability is too tempting and the sound examples sounded great.

I either buy set it and forget it pieces of analog gear or stuff like this…
Will report back!! 🙏
Lives for gear

just spent a hour or so with mine, tried on drum bus and mix bus.

first observations:
- does run quite hot, hot enough to heat up the modules next to it during a fairly short session
- high THD was often a bit much for me unless blended in, but very good when blended in.
- mid THD almost always sounds fantastic
- using extreme settings like hammering the inputs and using more extreme threshold - then blending in at about 50% sounds great

I'm not sure I'm hearing the epic sound stage of a full sized stereo Vari mu rack with 6 tubes and 4>6 transformers for example (I own a mono Mercury M66), but I do like what I hear, and I'd prob get a lot out of using it on the drum bus, or even the mix bus.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➡️
just spent a hour or so with mine, tried on drum bus and mix bus.

first observations:
- does run quite hot, hot enough to heat up the modules next to it during a fairly short session
- just having Rhea in the signal path there is a very slight roll off on top end detail, even when Rhea has bypass switched on the module. might put some ultra fussy mastering guys off, much less noticeable once you start applying compression
- high THD was often a bit much for me unless blended in, but very good when blended in.
- mid THD almost always sounds fantastic
- using extreme settings like hammering the inputs and using more extreme threshold - then blending in at about 50% sounds great

I'm not sure I'm hearing the epic sound stage of a full sized stereo Vari mu rack with 6 tubes and 4>6 transformers for example (I own a mono Mercury M66), but I do like what I hear, and I'd prob get a lot out of using it on the drum bus, or even the mix bus.
Thanks a lot for this and congrats!

It’s in esteemed company with that M66!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesAudio ➡️
I think that most of the US dealers have stock. It is hard for me to tell how exactly units were shared between US dealers by our distributor, and also I don't have any knowledge of the units which are possibly in transit to their werehouses.

But in wost case if all units were sold out (which I really doubt), it will be around 4 weeks before next batch will reach US.

-Michal
My dudes @ Sweetwater need you to send an extra RHEA so I can get mine next week.

Can't wait !!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This compressor sounds fantastic. Pure voodoo. Wes win again.
WesAudio

🎧 10 years
Quote:
- just having Rhea in the signal path there is a very slight roll off on top end detail, even when Rhea has bypass switched on the module. might put some ultra fussy mastering guys off, much less noticeable once you start applying compression
_RHEA has true bypass, it means that INPUT is hardwired to OUTPUT via relay switch. What stroke me is that You hear high end roll off on bypass, which could lead to a conclusion, that something else in the chain is causing this? Of course this is just a assumption, and we would have to get deeper into Your setup to check that out - But wanted to highligh that it shuldn't happen on the bypassed pressed on (Unless I missunderstood something).

Bypass technically avoid the whole circuit, so there shouldn't be any impact on the sound - it is implemented like this for all our units in ng500 series.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I had a full rack of Wes audio stuff in my studio now for a week. Tried it all on a mix and wow!

The Rhea sounds very good and the THD is very addictive on all modules. The thickening of the Rhea is a bit much sometimes (it's not super thick but noticeable) but then it's so easy to back of the mix blend to say 80% and tada!

In a mix I used it mainly on drums. But I ran it through multiple pre recorded sources and I think it would work great on everything, used lightly in a tracking environment.

The Wes rack itself. Fet, vca and pultec Eq sounds very good. I'm a bit lazy sometimes and use itb compression on vocals although I own two good HW comps. But in a mix I'm working on I switched out the 1176 plugin to the Wes get and wow. Immediately the vocals poped and glued better in the mix.

I'm really enjoying the whole kit and the THD is truly awesome. It really makes the mixes glue and come alive at the same time. To bad it would cost a kidney to buy a full rack haha! But great work Wes Audio. Very addictive!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

spent a bit of time this morning comparing my TKBC501 to the Rhea.

TK has a narrow snappy but very hip hop VCA tightness, Rhea larger/wider more elegant sound, softer but beefy with a little bit of colour. I think I could get a much larger range of sounds from the Rhea.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Updated impressions on High THD - a bit of this can really make polish a mix really well, i bet people will get a TON of use out of it!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I did a YT video on the Rhea. Such a good compressor. Just enough color to make things exciting and the DAW implementation is truly awesome!

https://youtu.be/zFHrhjQozx4
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The A/B buttons are genius, I’ve currently got mine setup with 2 contrasting THD and sidechain settings, then i mess with rest of settings to suit the track. Toggling through both A/B flavours after nailing your settings is great!

Oh dear, this thing is SO fun and effortless to use too, you don’t have to fight it, useable results pour out of it. Its versatile, but simple.

I honestly haven’t felt this pleased with a studio purchase in ages. I might need another one!!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
initial thought after working with it the last 2 days:
it is really really good! I am currently finishing my new EP for release in the next couple of days, and tried Rhea on 3 of them. Mostly driving into it with input @ +2, output @ -2 and threshold according to what's needed. Mix at around 70-80%, SC 90hz. 2 tracks with THD to medium.
This gives me the much wanted "in your faceness" especially in the upper mids, brings out the Hihats and snare and glues the bass and BD together to a really nice package. The perceived widening and loudness is great as well!
Also on the Mastering Bus: a bit of Gulfoss, Dione, Crane Song Falcon, Prometheus (then Rhea) and L2 at the end.
Genre: Techno, Deep House
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
According to UPS, I'll have my RHEA tomorrow morning! Can't wait. WesAudio has made my (mixing) life so much better.
I'm sure RHEA doesn't sound the same as my retro or Highland units but it doesn't have to mean it's less usable by any mean. You know, there's a place for a solid state Pultec and there's a place for a tube one...Also all my Vari-mu's sound different from each other.Different color, not necessarily better or worse.

The only "downside" of this is that my 2 Titan racks are already full so I have to replace two MIMASes with RHEA or buy a third Titan :D.

-- M
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane ➡️
According to UPS, I'll have my RHEA tomorrow morning! Can't wait. WesAudio has made my (mixing) life so much better.
I'm sure RHEA doesn't sound the same as my retro or Highland units but it doesn't have to mean it's less usable by any mean. You know, there's a place for a solid state Pultec and there's a place for a tube one...Also all my Vari-mu's sound different from each other.Different color, not necessarily better or worse.

The only "downside" of this is that my 2 Titan racks are already full so I have to replace two MIMASes with RHEA or buy a third Titan :D.

-- M
I've love to hear some audio comparisons on a mix between the Rhea/Retro/Highland - the Highland is a unit I've lusted after for ages.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've love to hear some audio comparisons on a mix between the Rhea/Retro/Highland - the Highland is a unit I've lusted after for ages.
100000%. I'm with you. The Highland BG1 is on my shopping list next.. regardless I'll order soon it but I'd love to hear an A/B
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tansao ➡️
100000%. I'm with you. The Highland BG1 is on my shopping list next.. regardless I'll order soon it but I'd love to hear an A/B
Bryce is the coolest guy - would love to finally buy something of his after all these years! BG2 and BG1 both look great - as do his preamps and custom mini consoles!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well. I'm not a scientific guy who does lots of comparison files... All my time goes to making and mixing music ... So I can't promise but I promise to try my best to make some files.

-- M
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane ➡️

-- M
I honor the honesty, honestly those are good problems to have. I'm working towards my first Titan rack but this RHEA and a Mimas will be in my posession before the years out bar some shipping malfeasance.

Got a Wes Hyperion, the Bettermaker Pultec 500 and 3 in 1 comp 500 just need the Mastering Limiter. I wish these guys were around a few years earlier cuz selling gear to upgrade gets tedious sold a TK-Lizer/XFilter rack(at a loss of course) I just bought to snag the Hyperion when it came out.

The good news is, I was lusting for a Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph but this RHEA now scratches that off my list at a lower price point with automation ... hey that's Charlie Sheen winning LOL.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow ➡️
The good news is, I was lusting for a Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph but this RHEA now scratches that off my list at a lower price point with automation ... hey that's Charlie Sheen winning LOL.
VCA vs Vari Mu though, the Rhea isn't going to replace the DVG on the tasks a VCA is best on. I've tired Rhea vs TK BC501, very different compressors.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
VCA vs Vari Mu though, the Rhea isn't going to replace the DVG on the tasks a VCA is best on. I've tired Rhea vs TK BC501, very different compressors.
I've got Optos(Buzz SOC-20M, Grace m102, Aphex 500), VCAs(Xpressor, dbx 560a, Bettermaker, Daking 500 etc), FET and even PWM with the Great River 500(my main mix channel comp). I was looking for a portable(500 series) Mastering grade Comp to bring weight/density on the Master Bus hence the SH DV but with the RHEA I get that with some Tube harmonics. It would compliment my Bettermaker C502V(very underrated piece) and Buzz SOC-20M as a different flava come mastering.

I also use my Hyperion(channel EQ)/BM EQ502P(lives on 2bus) on my masters also was shooting for the big Bettermaker EQ but this works well enough in tandem with my Hammer 2 EQ so I figured I'd save for the Bettermaker Mastering Limiter instead.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow ➡️
I've got Optos(Buzz SOC-20M, Grace m102, Aphex 500), VCAs(Xpressor, dbx 560a, Bettermaker, Daking 500 etc), FET and even PWM with the Great River 500(my main mix channel comp). I was looking for a portable(500 series) Mastering grade Comp to bring weight/density on the Master Bus hence the SH DV but with the RHEA I get that with some Tube harmonics. It would compliment my Bettermaker C502V(very underrated piece) and Buzz SOC-20M as a different flava come mastering.

I also use my Hyperion(channel EQ)/BM EQ502P(lives on 2bus) on my masters also was shooting for the big Bettermaker EQ but this works well enough in tandem with my Hammer 2 EQ so I figured I'd save for the Bettermaker Mastering Limiter instead.
ah I get ya!

The BM Masting Limiter is a beast!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ah I get ya!

The BM Masting Limiter is a beast!
Yeah it's definitely special.

The RHEA though is gonna do some ungodly things to bass(vocals too) I can hear it already. These were some rare demos that exceed the hype it seriously sounds sick. Plugin recallable, wet/dry ... just take my money.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I am somewhat confused as to using this on the mixbus. Although it says its a stereo unit, how does that work in a 500 series slot? There is only one input and output, right?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim ➡️
I am somewhat confused as to using this on the mixbus. Although it says its a stereo unit, how does that work in a 500 series slot? There is only one input and output, right?
the same as all 2 slot stereo modules - its got 2 cards sticking out the back which get their own inputs once installed
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Two days with RHEA...I'm loving it...So much cool things you can do...So far I've used it on vocals and overheads...Tried fast on drum bus and 2bus and liked what I heard but I'm in a middle (almost in the end) of a mixing session and changing 2bus or drum bus settings now would mean too much extra work.

I'm not a comparison guy. For me tools are tools that when used make something better or not. I don't care if they sound the same as xx or if the design is similar to yy.
I divide VMU's to 3 different categories, clean, in the middle and colored .
RHEA is cleaner than my Retro units but not as clean as my Kniff Pure-Mu
In that respect (without proper testing haha) I think it's somehow in the same league as Highland BG1. Of course the highland unit has more tubes and transformers and that of course makes a difference in sound and behavior but I didn't buy RHEA to be a BG1 replica. The BG1 will stay and so will RHEA, different tools, different tasks. That's exactly what I was hoping for so I'm happy so far...Testing goes on...

-- M
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…