Slate Digital Releases Custom Opto - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Releases Custom Opto
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jariya ➡️
Some clarification, please....
Is the $150 price for a stand-alone version of Custom Opto? That is, a separate plugin that can live outside VMR? Or, is this the price to unlock a new module inside my existing VMR? I do not have a subscription plan for VMR.

Yes, I get it, they would prefer that people sign up for one of the subscription offers; thus the healthy price tag. Anyway, just curious what my options are. I would seriously consider this if it was available as a stand-alone plugin. Cheers!
There's a "free" version of VMR which comes with a bunch of free modules (Revival, The Monster and Trim). Every other module is pre-loaded but is blanked out and you can't use it if you don't own it. There's also the option of leaving out some modules during installation so the plugin will shows only the modules you want it to show.
In order to download the VMR you obviously need a Slate Account, but if you want to buy the custom opto you would need that anyway I guess.

cheers,
Lox
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks Lox. Yes, quite right. But please know that I have VMR with several additional "paid" items. What I am inquiring is whether the $150 is to purchase (unlock) the Custom Opto within VMR and/or is this price for a stand-alone plugin. If there is NO separate Custom Opto plugin that can live outside VMR, then I suppose this price is only to unlock the module within VMR. Otherwise, I'm being "encouraged" to subscribe. Cheers!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks Lox. Yes, quite right. But please know that I have VMR with several additional "paid" items. What I am inquiring is whether the $150 is to purchase (unlock) the Custom Opto within VMR and/or is this price for a stand-alone plugin. If there is NO separate Custom Opto plugin that can live outside VMR, then I suppose this price is only to unlock the module within VMR. Otherwise, I'm being "encouraged" to subscribe. Cheers!
All VMR plugins are available in VMR only. Standalone plugin versions that can live outside of VMR is something many people have been asking for for years, but so far it hasn't happened.
Old 1 week ago
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, thanks again for the continued discussion. This has probably been one of our best reviewed plugins in a long time and that's making us very happy.

Try Aggro setting with slowest speed on snare. It's instant huge. Warm or Aggro on bass with default speed is great. All of the tone settings are great on vox, just depends on the flavor you want. I'm having fun with this little guy. It's got me mixing again for the first time in a while.

Steven
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Custom Opto rocks, Mr. Slate
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
Hey guys, thanks again for the continued discussion. This has probably been one of our best reviewed plugins in a long time and that's making us very happy.

Try Aggro setting with slowest speed on snare. It's instant huge. Warm or Aggro on bass with default speed is great. All of the tone settings are great on vox, just depends on the flavor you want. I'm having fun with this little guy. It's got me mixing again for the first time in a while.

Steven
Yeah im shocked at how many applications there are for this comp. Never seen 'opt' comps as all rounders the way I have with this one!
Instant hit!

To be honest, API EQ, Stress and this were all hits for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is everyone hitting this at -18dbfs?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon ➡️
Is everyone hitting this at -18dbfs?
dbfs rule doesn't matter in Slate Plugins.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 ➡️
dbfs rule doesn't matter in Slate Plugins.
Very wrong.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean ➡️
Very wrong.
The aliasing is well protected by Slate. So, it doesn't matter which level you feed into it. Of course, if you are feeding -12dbfs signal, you are going to compress less. or manage that loudness in end of the chain...

Some modules like FG-N, FG-Stress, FG-116 with increase output (start of saturation), VTM(with high bias) starts aliasing heavily, but that will happen irrespective of any input level.

If you feed signal at -18bfs, aliased frequencies will be there, once you increase the level anywhere, those harmonics will increase their amplitude in the same proportion.

You can visit Aliasing thread in GS, where we have detailed discussions, proofs, comments from plugin developers etc.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 ➡️
The aliasing is well protected by Slate. So, it doesn't matter which level you feed into it. Of course, if you are feeding -12dbfs signal, you are going to compress less. or manage that loudness in end of the chain...

Some modules like FG-N, FG-Stress, FG-116 with increase output (start of saturation), VTM(with high bias) starts aliasing heavily, but that will happen irrespective of any input level.

If you feed signal at -18bfs, aliased frequencies will be there, once you increase the level anywhere, those harmonics will increase their amplitude in the same proportion.

You can visit Aliasing thread in GS, where we have detailed discussions, proofs, comments from plugin developers etc.
Who in the world mentioned anything about aliasing?
David asked "Is everyone hitting this at -18dbfs?"
A perfectly valid question.

And the answer is I'm sure many are, and I'm sure many aren't for whatever reason. But the ultimate answer is, it totally matters because (who would've thought lol) the sound and the reaction of the processor changes! You set it following -18 dBFS or less or slam it and then use your ears to gauge which is proper for what your going for.

To be perfectly honest your post in an of itself is confusing anyway in general since if I read it right, on one hand you are saying dBFS doesn't matter and then on the other invoking the "aliasing gremlin" topic and surely even for those who take aliasing and pictures as gospel must realize level going in will alter this effect.

But back to the audio; the sound dBFS absolutely matters going in, in Slate and any good/useful emulating tool. Be mindful it'll make a difference.

I've attached two examples for you. One is a "normal" and the other "slammed" otherwise same exact settings. Not only do you hear the sonic differences, but you also see how the emulations handle crest factor and peaks in an interesting way. The slammed processors naturally start rounding off peaks which can be a useful thing if one is looking for it. I actually demonstrated this here with VTM a few years ago and the results were ear-opening.
The slammed versions have +17.3 dB boost going in, straight from Cubase's channel pre-gain. And then of course either the output or trimmer follows to compensate output gain. All level matched to the T.
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Digital Releases Custom Opto-fg-401-norm-vs-slam.png   Slate Digital Releases Custom Opto-fg-n-norm-vs-slam.png  
Attached Images
Slate Digital Releases Custom Opto-17.3-gain.png 
Attached Files

fg401 norm.wav (5.02 MB, 1500 views)

fg401 slam.wav (5.02 MB, 1493 views)

FG-N norm.wav (5.02 MB, 1474 views)

FG-N slam.wav (5.02 MB, 1484 views)

Old 3 days ago
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
If you're an All Access Pass member try Custom Opto on the whole mix with Warm setting, slow speed, 8db compression, low mix, then follow with FG-Red on the CLA setting. It's the kind of tone that you'll start remixing and reprinting old tracks for.

Steven
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Just saw some videos. This is a sure game changer ..Maybe the only comp you'll ever need!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
Your thinly-veiled antagonism is showing there,
dude.

I happen to be one of those “MacDonald’s”
subscription people. I like this new compressor.
I suppose that makes me an idiot in your book.

It’s a plugin. Buy it or don’t.
You mean rent the software or don't, right?
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by consequences ➡️
You mean rent the software or don't, right?
No I meant buy it..because you can buy any of
Slate’s plugins individuay.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Finally got around to using the Custom Opto
on a vocal track today.

Wow, Steven, it’s really stellar. Exceeded my
expectations, actually. I can see it in use on
all vocal tracks from now on.
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No I meant buy it..because you can buy any of
Slate’s plugins individuay.
Hi Dave, Please correct me if I'm wrong, and just to be clear: I can purchase an additional plugin (module) to add to my VMR collection (such as the Custom Opto), but I can NOT purchase a plugin individually so that it works outside of VMR. It's the latter scenario that I am interested in (examples of which include VTM, Infinity EQ, etc.).
Old 14 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hi Dave, Please correct me if I'm wrong, and just to be clear: I can purchase an additional plugin (module) to add to my VMR collection (such as the Custom Opto), but I can NOT purchase a plugin individually so that it works outside of VMR. It's the latter scenario that I am interested in (examples of which include VTM, Infinity EQ, etc.).
So it's a workflow issue not licensing issue. I don't know why people still insist Slate subscription is a problem when it is not. You can clearly purchase his plugins as perpetual licenses (non subscription).

I get it, there are no promotions as much as before for individual products but clearly if you have money you can purchase them.
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sorry guys, I'm more confused now. What I'm trying to ask is this: can I purchase Custom Opto so that it appears as a stand-alone plugin that can be inserted on a Cubase channel? That is, without having to load VMR? I mean as a separate plugin, one that is not attached to any wrapper (VMR)? Perhaps it's just me, but a little look around the Slate Digital website doesn't suggest this option is available. I do see that a few other plugins are available as individual plugins, but just not this one.

I'm not inquiring about price, promotions, subscriptions. I'm simply inquiring whether this particular compressor can be used in my DAW, on its own, without being attached to VMR. It's my understanding that plugins that come with VMR can NOT be used outside of that environment; they must be loaded from within VMR. That is not the scenario I'm looking for. Cheers!
Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry guys, I'm more confused now. What I'm trying to ask is this: can I purchase Custom Opto so that it appears as a stand-alone plugin that can be inserted on a Cubase channel? That is, without having to load VMR? I mean as a separate plugin, one that is not attached to any wrapper (VMR)? Perhaps it's just me, but a little look around the Slate Digital website doesn't suggest this option is available. I do see that a few other plugins are available as individual plugins, but just not this one.

I'm not inquiring about price, promotions, subscriptions. I'm simply inquiring whether this particular compressor can be used in my DAW, on its own, without being attached to VMR. It's my understanding that plugins that come with VMR can NOT be used outside of that environment; they must be loaded from within VMR. That is not the scenario I'm looking for. Cheers!
Hi Jariya.

That plug-in does require the VMR ‘wrapper’, as do the other VMR modules.

HTH,
Tony

PS. I wasn’t sure about the virtual 500 rack workflow at first but love it now
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, Custom Opto only works inside VMR.

I don’t see VMR going away. Honestly, is this
such a huge problem? You load VMR and then
choose the plugins you want to populate it,
even if it’s just one plugin. This is not an issue
for me, never has been.
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, Custom Opto only works inside VMR.

I don’t see VMR going away. Honestly, is this
such a huge problem? You load VMR and then
choose the plugins you want to populate it,
even if it’s just one plugin. This is not an issue
for me, never has been.
What about sidechaining though?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…