🎧 10 years
Joke

I think the best browser for the next order release will be the Chroma browser
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy ➡️
“Tall” is something I’d given up getting ITB, and a major motivator in springing for the MK2 instead of a used MK1. Any chance of MK2 samples featuring Aspect in the future?
We definitely plan on creating some sound clips in the future. Hopefully some videos too.

We like to talk about "wide", but it's not often that I see people talking about "tall". It's an equally important part of the equation for creating a mix that envelopes you and gives you that immersive "analog" experience, IMO. That was the design goal with Aspect Ratio...to give you both directions in a way that allows you to remain in the right brain workflow.

Brad
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whats the frequency range of the MIDS, and is it a high shelf or a mid band?

Didn't find this on the current website.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei ➡️
Whats the frequency range of the MIDS, and is it a high shelf or a mid band?

Didn't find this on the current website.
Hi,

All of the HF frequencies are shelving. Once I get the manual finished up these details will be in there.

Here's a plot of what the MIDS does at full boost:

Feel free to call that whatever frequency your favorite plugin EQ (with a plot) tells you it is, or what the plot is showing at the +3 dB point....1.6 kHz. I chose all the frequenices for the EQ by ear. I wasn't too worried about what the numbers were.

The fun, and interesting part about this new EQ is that not only can you create bell-shaped curves by engaging VINTAGE as you were able to do on the mk1, but now you can use the AIR knob to attenuate against whatever the HF knobs are giving you. This results in some interesting non-shelving frequency responses that are different than what you get with VINTAGE engaged.

Here's what happens if MIDS is boosted at max gain, and AIR is set to max attenuation:

This looks very similar to a peaking band set to 5 kHz. However, if the AIR band is only set to -4.5 dB of (half) attenuation then you get the following response:

If the amount of AIR attenuation is set more than the amount of MIDS boost then you can achieve what almost looks like a resonant shelving cut. With these particular settings I used the small peak occurs at about 3.3 kHz:

This behavior will work with any of the HF frequencies but will just give unique repsonses. Even though it's a simple set of controls you can get some very powerful results that may not be obvious at first glance.

Brad

Last edited by BradM; 1 week ago at 08:38 PM.. Reason: additional info added
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM ➡️
Here's a plot of what the MIDS does at full boost:

Feel free to call that whatever frequency your favorite plugin EQ (with a plot) tells you it is, or what the plot is showing at the +3 dB point....1.6 kHz. I chose all the frequenices for the EQ by ear. I wasn't too worried about what the numbers were.

The fun, and interesting part about this new EQ is that not only can you create bell-shaped curves by engaging VINTAGE as you were able to do on the mk1, but now you can use the AIR knob to attenuate against whatever the HF knobs are giving you. This results in some interesting non-shelving frequency responses that are different than what you get with VINTAGE engaged.

Here's what happens if MIDS is boosted at max gain, and AIR is set to max attenuation:

This looks very similar to a peaking band set to 5 kHz. However, if the AIR band is only set to -4.5 dB of (half) attenuation then you get the following response:

If the amount of AIR attenuation is set more than the amount of MIDS boost then you can achieve what almost looks like a resonant shelving cut. With these particular settings I used the small peak occurs at about 3.3 kHz:

This behavior will work with any of the HF frequencies but will just give unique repsonses. Even though it's a simple set of controls you can get some very powerful results that may not be obvious at first glance.

Brad
Awesome!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Having ordered a SB mkII from the 2nd batch, I’m trying to wrap my head around if I'm going to be able to do all the three applications below, while just having to change the inputs on the SB mkII mic pre, when tracking vocals and mixbus summing? Does the mic pre work properly for vocal tracking if I want the mic pre set to Folcrom Mode?

Bounce tracks:
D/A > (optional: BA-31A > Level Loc) > SB mkII (Mojo) > Insert: Manley Vari-Mu (T-bar) > Hendyamps MA > Return: SB mkII (EQ) > A/D

Mixbus Summing:
D/A > Folcrom > (Mic+) SB mkII (Mojo) > Insert: Manley Vari-Mu (T-bar) > Hendyamps MA > Return: SB mkII (EQ) > Zulu > A/D

Vox tracking:
Mic > SB mkII Mic pre (Mojo) > Insert: Manley Vari-Mu (T-bar) > Hendyamps MA > Return: SB mkII (EQ) > A/D
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
¿how big is the difference on the ¨better transient handling¨ with the new power supply between mk1 vs mk2 ?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansMues ➡️
¿how big is the difference on the ¨better transient handling¨ with the new power supply between mk1 vs mk2 ?
Good question?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectharmany77 ➡️
Good question?
Are you asking if that’s a good question? Lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyohmy ➡️
Having ordered a SB mkII from the 2nd batch, I’m trying to wrap my head around if I'm going to be able to do all the three applications below, while just having to change the inputs on the SB mkII mic pre, when tracking vocals and mixbus summing? Does the mic pre work properly for vocal tracking if I want the mic pre set to Folcrom Mode?

Bounce tracks:
D/A > (optional: BA-31A > Level Loc) > SB mkII (Mojo) > Insert: Manley Vari-Mu (T-bar) > Hendyamps MA > Return: SB mkII (EQ) > A/D

Mixbus Summing:
D/A > Folcrom > (Mic+) SB mkII (Mojo) > Insert: Manley Vari-Mu (T-bar) > Hendyamps MA > Return: SB mkII (EQ) > Zulu > A/D

Vox tracking:
Mic > SB mkII Mic pre (Mojo) > Insert: Manley Vari-Mu (T-bar) > Hendyamps MA > Return: SB mkII (EQ) > A/D
With a patch bay.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX ➡️
That's a good question.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There’s a UK/EU one available guys - I had to cancel my order
Gear Head

Inserts

I've been lucky enough to snag one of the first batch of SB mk2. One of the new features over my trusty SB1 is balanced inserts. Can someone tell me what's the advantage of running, say, a compressor via the inserts as opposed to after the SBmk2 in a mastering chain?

I have all my external processing boxes coming into Logic via a Ferrofish A32 so they come up on the Logic Audio FX Inserts.

Thanks.
Gear Head
Quote:
With a patch bay.
Of course, but I'm trying to avoid a patchbay as I don't have enough space in my rack. I'm just curious to know if the Folcrom mode will be the same in SB mkII as in SB, and if its functioning well for tracking in that mode? Can't seem to find the answer in the manual.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My bad, was saying it was a good question. Pardon the question mark instead of the period. Doing multiple things at once...smh. Good question @ HansMues . I really want to know more about the power supply.
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
We like to talk about "wide", but it's not often that I see people talking about "tall".
Which is kind of unsurprising, given the single pan axis we have to play with in two channel audio! What is meant by height in this context - literally the perception of sound originating above and below the listener, or something else?
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubshaw ➡️
I've been lucky enough to snag one of the first batch of SB mk2. One of the new features over my trusty SB1 is balanced inserts. Can someone tell me what's the advantage of running, say, a compressor via the inserts as opposed to after the SBmk2 in a mastering chain?

I have all my external processing boxes coming into Logic via a Ferrofish A32 so they come up on the Logic Audio FX Inserts.

Thanks.
At least one of the differences would be that running as an insert would allow the compressor to be pre-EQ.
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Of course, but I'm trying to avoid a patchbay as I don't have enough space in my rack. I'm just curious to know if the Folcrom mode will be the same in SB mkII as in SB, and if its functioning well for tracking in that mode? Can't seem to find the answer in the manual.
Hi,

Just like in SB mk1, you’ll be able to configure the unit via an internal jumper so that the Mic input signal can exit the box from the Mix Outs. What’s new for SB mk2 is that you’ll also be able to set a jumper that allows the Track input signal to exit the box from the Mix Outs. This allows those with a 2-in/2-out audio interface to connect the Silver Bullet mk2 via the Mix Outputs and still be able to take advantage of the input selector.

I hope that helps clarify.

Brad
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Bounce tracks:

Mixbus Summing:

Vox tracking:
Hi,

You will be able to do all of these things using the various I/O on the Silver Bullet, but a patch bay is recommended to switch between summing and vocal tracking. When you switch between 2-buss summing and vocal tracking you may also have to adjust your gain staging using the Gain and Output knobs, but the box will handle both scenarios just fine. You will just need to manual swap cables to the Mic inputs or use a patch bay or external switcher. The thing to note is that if you set the “Folcrom Mode” jumper, then the signal will exit the box from the Mix Outputs as I have noted in my previous reply…for both 2-bus summing and vocal tracking. This may require you to bypass the hardware inserts within your DAW as you go from one workflow to the other since the unit cannot simultaneously act as a mic preamp and a 2-bus processor at the same time, especially since you would be sharing the same inputs and outputs for both scenarios.

Brad
Louder Than Liftoff

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansMues ➡️
Hi Hans,

I’m not sure how to quantify that for you. The mk2 uses low dropout regulators designed in the last decade so the difference is a function of the technological advancements made in LDO regulator design over the last three decades. As many of us know, better technical specs don’t always equate to subjectively better sound. So that’s where our experience tuning these circuits for the entire system comes into play. On a technical level the new PSU design can respond to transient current loads more accurately. To my ears that translates into a tight, punchy bottom end, and realistic high frequency detail. I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you’ve had a chance to hear it.

cheers,
Brad
Old 4 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Hi,

Just like in SB mk1, you’ll be able to configure the unit via an internal jumper so that the Mic input signal can exit the box from the Mix Outs. What’s new for SB mk2 is that you’ll also be able to set a jumper that allows the Track input signal to exit the box from the Mix Outs. This allows those with a 2-in/2-out audio interface to connect the Silver Bullet mk2 via the Mix Outputs and still be able to take advantage of the input selector.

I hope that helps clarify.

Brad
Great, thanks that clarifies it all! Looking forward to hear it, coming early 2022.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…