Quantcast
Taipei Studio Tape Recorder from London Acoustics - Official Acqua N4 plugin - Page 17 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Taipei Studio Tape Recorder from London Acoustics - Official Acqua N4 plugin
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Acoustics ➡️
Thanks for the kind feedbacks

According with our manual, page 9, all your previous tape plugins can be used in series with TAIPEI with generally a good satisfaction
It's not necessary to get rid of what you already have, for example a professional shoemaker has a lot of different sized & shaped hammers.
He knows when and how to use his tools.
I like to place AX102 deck 3 after TAIPEI.I don't feel any side effects there.
I also like to place a Dibiquadro-DOMINO in front of these tapes to control the harmonic.
TAIPEI, AX102, DOMINO.
These are extraordinary and provide a quality that was unthinkable a long time ago.

As a personal memory, a famous recording engineer who was respected in my country said something like this with hope around 1995.
He said, "Someday, digital effects will be able to achieve the great true tape sound of a Studer or Ampex. Someday..."

He passed away three years ago, but now I realize that what he said a quarter of a century ago has become a reality.
Old 1 week ago
Company Rep

Just a quick update, we are working in these days on a reviewed version of TAIPEI:
- new gain staging calibration (not so dramatic but anyway less hot than before) [status: done]
- new output led calibration (now it works) [status: done]
- minor bug fixing (thanks to a power-user that spotted and reported it, very hidden, even for an expert beta-testing team) [status: done]
- NOISE RED. circuit in total revision (no more details for now, still on it) [status: in progress]

"Haste is known to be a bad counselor" cit.

But we will be back as soon as possible ^_^
Gear Head

Quote:
Just a quick update, we are working in these days on a reviewed version of TAIPEI:
- new gain staging calibration (not so dramatic but anyway less hot than before) [status: done]
- minor bug fixing (thanks to a power-user that spotted and reported it, very hidden, even for an expert beta-testing team) [status: done]
- NOISE RED. circuit in total revision (no more details for now, still on it) [status: in progress]

Thanks for the information. Will this have any effect on the trial timer?
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebatan ➡️
Thanks for the information. Will this have any effect on the trial timer?
Don't know at the moment, but I think it would be right
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

More than happy here as it is, playing for hours with it every day and still discovering the intricacies and subtle interplay between the controls (amazing...), but for the many folks who wished for it: you guys ROCK!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD2077 ➡️
As a personal memory, a famous recording engineer who was respected in my country said something like this with hope around 1995.
He said, "Someday, digital effects will be able to achieve the great true tape sound of a Studer or Ampex. Someday..."

He passed away three years ago, but now I realize that what he said a quarter of a century ago has become a reality.
I certainly didn't believe it would happen in my lifetime yet here we are...
I can already say Verona surpasses any hardware EQ i had, the nicest ones being a gorgeous Pultec made by Heiki Tikkas (whose creamy tone i find totally matched by Tokyo which i'm demoing on the side) and a Siemens 295a... Verona's 50s audiophile flair (Tokyo - finely whipped cream, Verona - golden soufflée) just matches more perfectly with my sounds than i could have imagined before discovering it, and Brighton sounds and plays more amazingly than the hardware optos i had or still have... and the two of them make me finally not miss my Sta Level anymore...

Needless to say, combine that with Taipei and...

gosh i used to listen to my recordings off tape and say, if only i could get that sound into the box (though i love my Burl AD) - i'd never use a plugin to wishy washy it down in hopes of making it better...

Now... just listened to some tracks where i felt that so strongly, and having remixed them with LA, it put a FINALLY-HERE-IT-IS-AGAIN tear in my old eyes... from fan to groupie in just a week or so, what the hubble happuned??
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker satchmo ➡️
I certainly didn't believe it would happen in my lifetime yet here we are...
I can already say Verona surpasses any hardware EQ i had[snip]
All this talk of Verona has caused me to try the demo...

Holy Crap. Yeah, Verona combined with Taipei or IK tapes is actually the sound I've been questing for since the advent of digital audio, when I dumped all my outboard gear, including my Otari 5050 mk3 8.

But, given that I'm unemployed, (laid off at the beginning of COVID) and my extended benefits just ran out, and I'm trying to keep the wolves from the door...

Sigh. I guess I could stop eating, and stop drinking drinking beer, right? I mean , I wouldn't be a gear slut--sorry, gear spacer-- if I didn't consider that possibility, right?
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Awesome! Much appreciated! Looking forward to it. Love the plugin
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just demoed this after wading through all the comments/suggestions/outrage, and this is simply amazing. It reminds me of how I felt demoing IK Tape early last year, except this does tape even better than IK, especially nailing the saturation in the highs.

Yes, the gain staging is finicky. What worked for me to get a clean tape sound on my master bus was VUMT hitting around 0 (VU, -18 cal), then Taipei with PreSat at 9 o'clock, Rec.Level around 8 o'clock, then a gain plug following it at +15db. No lights flashing on Taipei, VU not even hitting -5, everything stays clean with no artifacts. And sounds friggin' incredible.

Having a lot of fun pushing HiSatChr and Highs with Tape Phase on...I can see not needing nearly as much high shelving eq from other plugs using this. I'm liking RTM and Silver in Master mode on the 2 bus (sweet and smooth), ATR and Red on MultiTrack for individual tracks (more hair). Hope the CPU hit is comparable to Taupe, because on tracks I would much rather dial in the exact tape character I want instead of scrolling through unmodifiable Taupe formulations and hope I get close.

Well done boys, getting out my credit card now. So, when does this Verona I keep hearing about go on sale?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheever ➡️
All this talk of Verona has caused me to try the demo...

Holy Crap. Yeah, Verona combined with Taipei or IK tapes is actually the sound I've been questing for since the advent of digital audio, when I dumped all my outboard gear, including my Otari 5050 mk3 8.

But, given that I'm unemployed, (laid off at the beginning of COVID) and my extended benefits just ran out, and I'm trying to keep the wolves from the door...

Sigh. I guess I could stop eating, and stop drinking drinking beer, right? I mean , I wouldn't be a gear slut--sorry, gear spacer-- if I didn't consider that possibility, right?
Trying to budge the budget here too bro, and had to sell so much of my hw faves last year from RCA77 to Sta to Space Echo 201 etc, however end of last month to my pleasant surprise found a bit of surplus so in short a) that's how i got these dahlings and b) pm me your info if you like and i go with pleasure for at least half of Verona (the Console not the city ) - let me know what you'll need to make it possible cuz i know how you feel after all the questing and suddenly finding!!
Gear Maniac

ya'll gonna make me cry
Gear Maniac

I just tried RTM and Silver on my master where I was running ATR and red, and you're right, it is nice and smooth. I'm also using Bitshiftgain to shave off 12db, needles are rarely hitting -5, usually around -10 on the meters.
Might be worth experimenting with Bluecat Audio's free Gain plugin here. Strap one on either side of Taipei, linked in reverse, and playing with coming in real low, move it around in real time to find the sweet spot with the PreSat and Rec Level at default.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker satchmo ➡️
from fan to groupie in just a week or so, what the hubble happuned??
This made our day

[edit]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheever ➡️
This one too
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseLinear ➡️
I think Taipei needs cpu usage optimization, hope this can be solved in future updates.
Please, consider to freeze or bounce the tracks (even in batch mode outside your DAW, since the tape should be placed as first effect in the insert slots) and use a realtime TAIPEI just for the master buss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseLinear ➡️
Is this a right approach for this plugin ?
Yes, actually you can try to keep the REC. LEVEL and PLAYBK. LEVEL higher, just listen if you will have distortion.
For now, until the next incoming update, don't rely so much on the output level, we recalibrated it after some users feedback.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Awesome!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Working on it.
Thanks for the support.
Do not change that for all these people that been working with algo plugins, they seems confused with gain staging which is their problem not the tool, i start mixing with all tracks not exceeding -18dbfs and i learn this more than a decade ago.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few Knobs ➡️
Do not change that for all these people that been working with algo plugins, they seems confused with gain staging which is their problem not the tool, i start mixing with all tracks not exceeding -18dbfs and i learn this more than a decade ago.
We changed it for a better experience for everybody (hopefully). Then after the update publication we will provide finally a quick tutorial video about the plugin settings. (making a video right now would have no much sense since the plugin will be slightly amended)
Lives for gear

I've held off giving this one a go given the discussion here. Now with the update coming soon I look forward to giving these virtual reels a spin!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
We changed it for a better experience for everybody (hopefully). Then after the update publication we will provide finally a quick tutorial video about the plugin settings. (making a video right now would have no much sense since the plugin will be slightly amended)
So… are the sessions I’ve used this on going to sound different with this update?
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray ➡️
So… are the sessions I’ve used this on going to sound different with this update?
Well, yes and no: we changed a little, upon request, the internal gain staging then the REC. LEVEL and PLAYBK. LEVEL will change, so, consequently, the tape effect related to the gain of the incoming signal.
But honestly it's a very subtle change, that can be simply ignored or, in case, resolved anyway giving a listening and turning the 2 knobs by barely one degree.

Otherwise just finish your open projects and then update.
Or consolidate the tracks with tape and then update.

The sound quality is absolutely unchanged, so there would be no pressure to forcely update ASAP.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well, yes and no: we changed a little, upon request, the internal gain staging then the REC. LEVEL and PLAYBK. LEVEL will change, so, consequently, the tape effect related to the gain of the incoming signal.
But honestly it's a very subtle change, that can be simply ignored or, in case, resolved anyway giving a listening and turning the 2 knobs by barely one degree.

The sound quality is absolutely unchanged, so there would be no pressure to forcely update ASAP.
When do you plan to offer that update?
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetx ➡️
When do you plan to offer that update?
The update was done on last Tuesday and sento to AA to be put in Aquarius, but we don't know right now our position in the queue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

For the record, the answer is either yes or no… and it sounds like the answer is “yes”.

I understand that you are caving to the feedback. For those of us that used the plug the way you told us to, well we are now compromised.

No worries, you’ve made a decision for the greater benefit of the group.

With that said, can you at least properly prescribe how to transition from the settings we have to the original sound after we update?

In my case I cannot just print it. I need recall to be correct.

So if you can suggest please which parameters need to be adjusted by name and by amount that would be great.

“By giving it a listen” is simply not sufficient in my opinion. I trust that what you are doing is intentional, measurable, and therefore able to be described in finer detail than your response.

Again, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the feeling of needing to capitulate. And this is a **wonderful** tool — one of the best.

But once something is released, we generally feel that it’s meant to be used— professionally. This implies recall.

If the sound is altered after a non-beta release then proper versioning is generally expected too.

Since this is not the case, please consider a proper amount of guidance for those of us that adopted and applied your recommendations so that we aren’t burdened by the change.

My .02

Thanks!
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray ➡️
For the record, the answer is either yes or no… and it sounds like the answer is “yes”.
We are speaking of a tape, not an EQ or something with dramatic changes if you move a little the gain knobs.
The statement "you can ignore it" has sense in this case, it's not a marketing move. It's just true, it will sound anyway really similar.
We changed just a -1.6dB IN and +1.6 OUT, that means the tape dynamics will be still around there.
But I get your concern.

Anyway, as already written here and in FB, we are preparing a tut video with the new version. There will be a clear "modus operandi" to follow in order to take the best from the "machine"
Here for the gear

Demoing this and it's sounds great. I'm clipping a lot but that's my probably crappy gain staging skills more than anything.

Sometimes I wish someone would bring out a tascam-like multitrack with this as an aways on but adjustable effect. Pretty niche but it's my dream.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxfoo ➡️
Demoing this and it's sounds great. I'm clipping a lot but that's my probably crappy gain staging skills more than anything.

Sometimes I wish someone would bring out a tascam-like multitrack with this as an aways on but adjustable effect. Pretty niche but it's my dream.
Using e.g. Acustica's Black should solve your gain staging problem quite easily.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Using e.g. Acustica's Black should solve your gain staging problem quite easily.
Thanks!

I've been using HornetVU as Retro Reel suggested a page back but sometimes running into sudden clipping issues as I have a tendency to want to record things hot and saturate everything. Cassette habit. Having some trouble getting into that saturation sweet spot without suddenly tipping into nasty artifact territory even with the VU before. I'll work it out!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks!

I've been using HornetVU as Retro Reel suggested a page back but sometimes running into sudden clipping issues as I have a tendency to want to record things hot and saturate everything. Cassette habit. Having some trouble getting into that saturation sweet spot without suddenly tipping into nasty artifact territory even with the VU before. I'll work it out!
Perhaps the planned update of Taipei will also ease things a little bit more.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Perhaps the planned update of Taipei will also ease things a little bit more.
Well, going by their own words, they are preparing a tutorial video to go with the new version, along with clear instructions for best use of the plugin. I think they are likely to get it right
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
I'm clipping a lot but that's my probably crappy gain staging skills more than anything.
This is a difficult topic to make clear in the digital environment.
Basically clipping tracks and saying that the plugin has a difficult gain staging, is something like complaining that the streets are built too dangerous because people like to go only at 180mph.
Of course, saying this, we are exposed to furher cricticism, but, really: don't do always clip (only do it in case at the end of the mixbuss).

It's very similar to the loudness war to me, having all the tracks close to red gives the faux perception of a warmer, better, mix (due the old days in analog), but in reality you can go lower of at least -12dB easily and just raising your monitoring... and obtain a much more dynhamic and breathing mix.
You will avoid also any chance of internal distortion.

In 24/32 bit resolution you have plenty of headroom nowadays, so ending to use just the last 3-6dB is a true non-sense.

And, finally, if you have more headroom above, you can take the best from your non-linear plugins, sampled or algo.

Another solution, that A LOT of companies take to please the users is to place a clipper in every plugin, but we find this is crazy (for the same reason said above). The resulting sound will be... well...
Unfortunatley that clipper harmonic distrortion is often misunderstood by most as "analog warmth". (even the internal safety clipping in the DAW when you're mixing close to zero).

So, please, feed our plugins (or, better, every plugin) with -18dBFS, in order to have enough headrom to exploit well them.
Same for the pictures, if you work always with heavy contrasted pictures you can place infinite photoshop plugins but you'll obtain always a heavy contrasted and not dynamic result.

Quote:
TAIPEI can do it!!!
If you feed it with a right input, as said above, you can tweak properly all its controls without going to crackle.
If you go into TAIPEI with high gain, you cannot raise i.e. the REC. LEVEL and the LOWS. QUAL and then you cannot have a wide pallette of choice.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…