Quantcast
Wavegrove releases Vastaus, a free high-end fixing smoother, and overdrive - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wavegrove releases Vastaus, a free high-end fixing smoother, and overdrive
Old 1 week ago
Software Wavegrove releases Vastaus, a free high-end fixing smoother, and overdrive

Vastaus is a high-end fixer.

Available free on Patreon for Mac and Windows.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/53942572
EDIT: Added links to Google Drive downloads, so people don't have to log in
  • Mac: AU and VST3, Notarized installer for Intel and M1
  • Windows: VST and VST3
Version changelist:
- 1.0.1 Added Input Gain compensation, increased Output Gain range, fixed some aliasing.
- 1.0.2 Bias to affect also the magic smoothing section outside of Tame. Fixed bug with overdrive causing high-end artefacts at certain low frequencies.
- 1.0.3 Added oversampling to reduce aliasing. Modified Tame a bit to be even smoother, while not reducing the extreme highs so much. Overall betterments.

Vastaus lives on instrument channels, buses and it is known to have been spotted on the master channel too. Feel free to use and abuse it. Try to add an EQ before Vastaus and push the highs way overboard and how Vastaus reacts.

It is at it's most neutral at Input Gain and Tame at 0, at which time it brings down and blocks overly harsh high frequencies present in vocal esses, smooths cymbals, guitars and pretty much anything you throw at it.

Increasing Tame brings enhances that effect, but also brings in more options with the React switch, as well as with the Bias setting. React is a mode, where Tame starts to let through some transients in a really interesting way, bringing out more detail and clarity, but still smoothing the sound. With Bias, you can further control the sound by limiting the effect to either the positive or negative side of the audio samples, generating harmonics in the process. I have heard this referred to as silky, and apparently some well-known hardware unit makers use a process similar to this.

Lastly there is Gain. With the Input Gain, you control the overall signal boost you get going into the thing, while the Output Gain works as a pad, with 100% level adding no additional volume. Boosting the input gain can bring additional high end to the signal after taming it, which is especially useful with instruments such as the electric guitar. In conjunction with the use of the Bias knob, Vastaus can even act as a leveling tool, which also boosts and extends the high end frequencies far above where they ended in the original signal.

Use the Wet knob to blend the changed signal with the original in whatever way you want.

And the best thing? It's free and supported by Patreon.

-------------------
Thanks, enjoy, and best regards,
Jussi
Attached Thumbnails
Wavegrove releases Vastaus, a free high-end fixing smoother, and overdrive-vastaus.jpg  

Last edited by Mordae; 3 hours ago at 01:41 PM.. Reason: new information
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Easily one of the better saturators, if it only had gain compensation it would take the cake!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by analag ➑️
Easily one of the better saturators, if it only had gain compensation it would take the cake!
Thanks a bunch! I'll have to see if that is something I can whip up in an update at some point.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Oh, it's Finnish. It would be very silly not to try this out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No native Mac M1 support yet? I just tried it on Mac OS X Big Sur, on my Mac mini M1 in Reaper and got a message that said "Vastaus.vst3 is damaged. You should move it to the Recycle Bin".

EDIT: The AU plugin is identified by Reaper and can be loaded onto a track, however it immediately causes massive stutters and the performance meter of reaper shoots up to over 70%!! So yeah, not really working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➑️
No native Mac M1 support yet? I just tried it on Mac OS X Big Sur, on my Mac mini M1 in Reaper and got a message that said "Vastaus.vst3 is damaged. You should move it to the Recycle Bin".

EDIT: The AU plugin is identified by Reaper and can be loaded onto a track, however it immediately causes massive stutters and the performance meter of reaper shoots up to over 70%!! So yeah, not really working.
Oh man that is bad to hear, I'll make a note of that in the first post. Unfortunately I don't have an M1 Mac as of yet, so I couldn't make any tests with one for this.

Performance on Intel Macs is far worse (2.6% with single instance) than on Windows too (0.2% with single instance) . I'll have to see if this is something related with the build or what.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae ➑️
Oh man that is bad to hear, I'll make a note of that in the first post. Unfortunately I don't have an M1 Mac as of yet, so I couldn't make any tests with one for this.

Performance on Intel Macs is far worse (2.6% with single instance) than on Windows too (0.2% with single instance) . I'll have to see if this is something related with the build or what.
Looking forward to the M1 build.
If there is anything I can help you with build-wise, I have an M1 Mini and I could try to give you a hand!
Cheers
Quote:

I’ll actully try to whip M1 users up a version using Juce. It will have their splash screen until I can buy it at some point, but it should be able to build for M1 processors.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Getting the same error with the Vst3 version on Mac Os Catalina with both Ableton & Studio one
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are no markings on the dials so how do you know when they are at zero?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➑️
There are no markings on the dials so how do you know when they are at zero?
0%, meaning all the way to the left. But as with all, your ears are the best tool. Those and SPAN.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
0%, meaning all the way to the left. But as with all, your ears are the best tool. Those and SPAN.
We need all the tools we can get, not just our ears.

Ears can fool you for many reasons so we need other references to confirm what we are hearing. Especially with something subtle like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➑️
We need all the tools we can get, not just our ears.

Ears can fool you for many reasons so we need other references to confirm what we are hearing. Especially with something subtle like this.
Very true! SPAN is what I use myself, very versatile.
Old 1 week ago
Hello all!

I updated the Patreon post with a new installer for Mac. It is notarised and includes builds for both Intel and M1 processors.
Please report on how they work, thanks!

Best regards,
Jussi
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Experiencing weird rumbly pops intermittently on a single channel (left or right randomly). On Logic X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDior ➑️
Experiencing weird rumbly pops intermittently on a single channel (left or right randomly). On Logic X.
That’s most likely the DC cut I have in there misbehaving. I’ll check it out tomorrow!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello all!

I updated the Patreon post with a new installer for Mac. It is notarised and includes builds for both Intel and M1 processors.
Please report on how they work, thanks!

Best regards,
Jussi
1 day for coding M1 support. There have always been very unique things in Finnish coding, (that several of us quite like).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace ➑️
1 day for coding M1 support. There have always been very unique things in Finnish coding, (that several of us quite like).
Big fan of Finnish hardware too... a lot of attention to detail, excellent sonics and very practical. I’m sure there’s some exceptions, but as a general rule...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
lol why would the country something is from change the sound of a software program?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not looking but this seems great! Generous too!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcasemanx ➑️
lol why would the country something is from change the sound of a software program?
I've always thought there's something decidedly Belgian about fruity loops/FL studio.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Users should know:

Microsoft: flagged this file as malicious

Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean ➑️
Users should know:

Microsoft: flagged this file as malicious

Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml
Thanks for the warning, I'll have to scan my system, although I doubt there is anything.

EDIT: Checked with full scans using Malwarebytes and Microsoft Defender. No threats at all.
Found a similar issue with that same warning as a false positive on Google.

Last edited by Mordae; 6 days ago at 02:31 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Released version 1.0.1 with Input Gain compensation and added gain range to the Output, so you can still boost. Also should fix the pops mentioned (at least I don't experience any), but please notify if they are still present.

Still a CPU hog on Mac, so I need to look into if there is something I can do there.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

i like the sound of it but when i play with it a bit left channel get muted
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like this. I use unharsh but it seems to distort easily this doesn't. Bias didn't seem to do anything though. This is a great tool to have.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritter_prettier ➑️
i like the sound of it but when i play with it a bit left channel get muted
I'll have to take a look at that. Sounds like an overflow somewhere. Are you on a Mac by any chance?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon ➑️
I like this. I use unharsh but it seems to distort easily this doesn't. Bias didn't seem to do anything though. This is a great tool to have.
Thanks! Bias only works when using the Tame knob. Now that I think of it I might be able to get it work for the whole thing.
Old 5 days ago
Released version 1.0.2:
Bias to affect also the magic smoothing section outside of Tame. Fixed bug with overdrive causing high-end artefacts at certain low frequencies.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is actually really good. Reminds me of Oeksound Soothe and EndeavorFX UnHarsh.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…