Quantcast
Integer xMP2 Mic Preamp with a unique Input Transformer - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Integer xMP2 Mic Preamp with a unique Input Transformer
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Integer xMP2 Mic Preamp with a unique Input Transformer

Integer Audio introduces the xMP2 microphone preamp featuring a unique input transformer with a nanocrystalline toroid core. The transformer is manufactured by Mesanovic Microphones.

The properties of the nanocrystalline core offer superior performance over traditional audio transformer cores. The design has the typical transformer advantages (isolation and high CMRR) plus excellent frequency response and clarity. The transformer includes a Faraday shield and mu metal to minimize effects from EMI.

The key benefits of the nanocrystalline core include very high permeability and magnetic flux density, along with lower coercivity and core loss. The required inductance is achieved with fewer turns and the use of higher AWG wire, resulting in very low winding DCR. High signal levels and transients will not cause saturation or high frequency resonance. This includes lower non-linear distortion, exceptional transient response, minimal phase shift, and ultimately a smoother musical quality.

The preamp design is 100% differential based on the high performance, low noise THAT1580 chip and a TI OPA1632 output buffer.

xMP2 Features:
• Two channels in a 1U 19" rack mount chassis
• Nanocrystalline input transformer by Mesanovic Microphones
• 65dB gain via 12-position selector switch
• 48VDC phantom power
• Internal AC power supply with low noise LDO linear regulators (no wall wart PS)

Regular Price: $649. NOW $549., for a limited number of preorder units.

Please see the Integer Audio website for more details.

Integer Audio
http://www.integeraudio.com
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
looks like a high performance piece of kit at a reasonable price. strange that there is so much emphasis put on the performance of the transformer and lack of capacitors, but the whole thing is based around an IC. nothing against them particularly- i’m sure your implementation is excellent; it’s just a strange choice to build a high end design around. interested to see what the consensus is on this pre. overall this kinda reminds me of a Hardy in all the best ways!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic ➡️
looks like a high performance piece of kit at a reasonable price. strange that there is so much emphasis put on the performance of the transformer and lack of capacitors, but the whole thing is based around an IC. nothing against them particularly- i’m sure your implementation is excellent; it’s just a strange choice to build a high end design around. interested to see what the consensus is on this pre. overall this kinda reminds me of a Hardy in all the best ways!
Thanks for the comments. I think modern IC designs can perform equally as well as any discrete design. In fact, modern ICs manufactured to precise tolerances and use of surface mount technology (less lead inductance and parasitic capacitance) can result in a more robust design.

I try to point out features that might appeal to people. One is there are no capacitors in the signal path. As someone else once said the best capacitor is no capacitor (in the signal path). Obviously, transformers in mic preamps are very popular and I typically try to offer something different thus the unique nanocrystalline core transformer.

Thanks, Dave
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had the chance to play with one of the prototypes for a few weeks. If I’m being honest, I wasn’t all that excited about a cheaper preamp and wasn’t expecting a lot. The design and Mesanovic transformer did seem interesting though.

I kind of expected a pretty clean preamp and nothing crazy, but I actually came away being really impressed with it! Compared to my HendyAmps Warhol (solid state, high voltage mosfet that acts like a tube. LOTS of character and harmonic information), it was pretty clear that it’s on the cleaner end of the spectrum and doesn’t create any crazy harmonic content. It still didn’t sound weak or scooped by any stretch though, no loss of body or anything like that.

Comparing it with my AEA TRP (opposite of the HendyAmps, extremely clean), the Integer felt a bit more colorful, especially in the high end. The integer isn’t a dark sounding preamp, but it has a beautiful way of smoothing things over and helping with harshness. That’s probably my biggest takeaway with it and what made it worth the price of admission. I was extremely impressed with it in that regard.

Compared to my API preamps (I always felt like they’re a little brighter in the top end and a bit scooped in the mids, very slight low end roll off), the integer actually felt a little bigger with some obvious low end extension. I think that probably speaks more to the typical API sound, but the integer made that more obvious. I told Dave “that’s the great thing about API preamps sometimes, but it’s also the worst thing about them”.

So if you were to put this on a scale of 1-10, 1 being super clean “strait wire” AEA preamps and 10 being a really colorful tube preamp, I would probably put the integer as a solid 5. The one exception is how it deals with the higher frequencies. Again, it does not sound dark at all. If anything, it’s just pleasant and smooth. That’s something a lot of us pay big money for in more vintage/old school designs. This thing does it without mucking around with your low end or imparting too much unwanted character and THD.

I’m unfortunately very much set on preamps right now, so I didn’t end up buying one. However, if I need more inputs at some point, Dave’s probably going to be up at the top of the list. Most preamps in this price range are just throughly unimpressive to me, Dave’s found a really great sweet spot between clean and character. If your budget is low, you would have to by crazy not to consider these. Even if you’ve got a much higher budget and looking for something on the smoother side, you really should give one of these a try.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
If interested in the xMP2 preamp I have a demo unit I can send to give it a try. Just submit a request from the Integer Audio website.

Thanks,
Dave
Integer Audio

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by intaud ➡️
Integer Audio introduces the xMP2 microphone preamp featuring a unique input transformer with a nanocrystalline toroid core. The transformer is manufactured by Mesanovic Microphones.

The properties of the nanocrystalline core offer superior performance over traditional audio transformer cores. The design has the typical transformer advantages (isolation and high CMRR) plus excellent frequency response and clarity. The transformer includes a Faraday shield and mu metal to minimize effects from EMI.

The key benefits of the nanocrystalline core include very high permeability and magnetic flux density, along with lower coercivity and core loss. The required inductance is achieved with fewer turns and the use of higher AWG wire, resulting in very low winding DCR. High signal levels and transients will not cause saturation or high frequency resonance. This includes lower non-linear distortion, exceptional transient response, minimal phase shift, and ultimately a smoother musical quality.

The preamp design is 100% differential based on the high performance, low noise THAT1580 chip and a TI OPA1632 output buffer.

xMP2 Features:
• Two channels in a 1U 19" rack mount chassis
• Nanocrystalline input transformer by Mesanovic Microphones
• 65dB gain via 12-position selector switch
• 48VDC phantom power
• Internal AC power supply with low noise LDO linear regulators (no wall wart PS)

Regular Price: $649. NOW $549., for a limited number of preorder units.

Please see the Integer Audio website for more details.

Integer Audio
Nice!

Cheu
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…