Quantcast
AVID Pro Tools 2021.6 Is Here With Apple M1 Support - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AVID Pro Tools 2021.6 Is Here With Apple M1 Support
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I tried moving from Catalina to Big Sur on a 2018 intel mini, felt a bit slower than Catalina and had graphics bugs (black areas in the arrangement window) so I rolled back to Catalina. I guess I'll wait a bit more to update.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf ➡️
They might look like "colourful jokes" but the M1 is a beast. Fastest single core CPU in all the land right now. Trades blows with Ryzen 5950x which is a $1300 CPU at the moment (I'm guessing due to all the supply chain issues). I'm addicted to low latency recording and I really don't want to go back to Intel. The M1 is a monster if you want/need low latency recording with some processing in tow. That said the little Mini is a much better deal than the iMacs. Not sure you need to wait for "new powerful iMacs" the M1 is already more powerful than anything in the x86 world (where it matters I mean; single core performance).

That's too bad that Avid wasn't able to push this update now. They're a big company so not sure what the issue is. They have the budget for this sort of thing surely. Still, great update.
What Mac config are you running ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

it is running great on my Mac mini 2018. Expecting next week or the week after a M1 Mini.

It is a great update.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I just noticed the graphics glitch too. But I figured out my issue with Defaulter (privacy settings changed for me, not sure why). But other than that occasional little black bar (which doesn't seem to affect performance at all) this has been the most stable version of PT I've ever had.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar ➡️
Wow, so stay away from the new Mac's then? How can AVID get away with saying that Pro Tools is M1 ready - when it clearly is not?!?
I’m wondering how much processing the efficiency cores can do. Is it worth it for companies to utilize all cores, or should they be left for system tasks etc?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar ➡️
I think he means that D-command requires PT Ultimate to run. So much more expensive then regularly PT and you get nothing in return. Just i stupid license to get to be able to fire up the D-command.
Exactly. A $2k Price differential Just for them to allow me to use my D-command which wasn’t cheap when I purchased it. Thanks, but no thanks, I’ve decided pass on this one. PT standard as far as I am willing to go. I’m not over investing in Avid products anymore.

Last edited by Mind-Over-Midi; 1 week ago at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Typo correction.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hear you... Being AVID customer, can so frustrating sometimes. Especially, when they are trying to push os to newer products... Argh!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Couldn't give a rat's ass about MAC compat or whatever hurdles Apple are making DAW/PlugIn Makers jump over these days (as I'm on Windows PC with zero issues for the last decade over multiple updates), but it's a nice update and remains the best DAW ever created, for the actual task of recording, audio editing and mixing. Something many of the upstarts (some of which I've been a 'fan' of in the past like Studio One and Nuendo) STILL need to learn a lesson from with their multipane BS just to mix and see everything in one go. PT remains the clearest most logical, least gimmicky, DAW for anyone with the mind to not get distracted by shiny new (yet pointless) features/toys in other DAWs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf ➡️
They might look like "colourful jokes" but the M1 is a beast. Fastest single core CPU in all the land right now. Trades blows with Ryzen 5950x which is a $1300 CPU at the moment (I'm guessing due to all the supply chain issues). I'm addicted to low latency recording and I really don't want to go back to Intel. The M1 is a monster if you want/need low latency recording with some processing in tow. That said the little Mini is a much better deal than the iMacs. Not sure you need to wait for "new powerful iMacs" the M1 is already more powerful than anything in the x86 world (where it matters I mean; single core performance).
The M1 is very impressive, but it does not trade blows with the 5950x for low latency audio, not in my side by side comparison at least (setting aside synthetic benchmarks).

Price wise, the 5950x is available at retail now, and worth considering that 4-8TB of NVMe for a 5950x is going to cost roughly 1/4-1/3 what it would in M1 land. Not to mention you can update the processor (looking like 4 generations on the same chipsets now with Warhol coming).

For a laptop- the M1 has no peers. No argument from me there- once we see more support I'll get one for sure.

Here are my tests, same hardware (HDSPe MADI in TB enclosure), both reaper, everything native for the M1. When it comes to low latency native, the 5950x stands alone and a lead of nearly double is big here. For me it's the native HDX killer- I NEVER have to set the buffer higher than 32. I'm not crazy about windows personally, but for this kind of performance it's worth it for me (and not that bad, the only real issue I have is the slingle-client class compliant midi driver thing).

I'm still very impressed with M1, and look forward to what's in store- but in terms of low latency native, that single-core 32 buffer performance gap is significant and apple is going to have to do a lot more than just put 20+4 of the same M1 cores on one die- Especially as they will likely be competing with Zen 4 by then.
Attached Thumbnails
AVID Pro Tools 2021.6 Is Here With Apple M1 Support-diva-voices.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➡️
I’m wondering how much processing the efficiency cores can do. Is it worth it for companies to utilize all cores, or should they be left for system tasks etc?
It's hard to tell how much, but from what I saw they seem to add a pretty significant amount of extra power and the system was still snappy. Not sure for every application, but in general it seems like the best bet is to use all 8 cores.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
M1 Mac mini has been my best mac experience since my 2013 MBP. It really is incredible how much it can do, all with barely getting more than lukewarm temp to the touch. My 16 inch MBP before this was a complete POS. I couldn't get anything done on it because it would ALWAYS be overheating and throttling itself when I worked on it, no matter what I tried
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s34nsm411 ➡️
M1 Mac mini has been my best mac experience since my 2013 MBP. It really is incredible how much it can do, all with barely getting more than lukewarm temp to the touch. My 16 inch MBP before this was a complete POS. I couldn't get anything done on it because it would ALWAYS be overheating and throttling itself when I worked on it, no matter what I tried
Literally my same experience. Could never perform live with my 2018 i9 MBP because if it started to overheat, the machine was completely unusable until it cooled down.

16GB M1 Mac Mini is amazing. Got the base model MacBook Air as well - 8GB/256GB. Never ever ever had a machine with that little RAM and SSD but man, that machine KILLS too! No issues with RAM at ALL! Both doing intensive audio/music AND video editing. $1K fanless machine that KILLS my 2018 $4K i9 machine. The Mac is exciting again.
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Heads up to any one using the Akai's latest MPC software with Pro Tools 2021.6. Be careful as it stalls my version. Had to take it out.

Marc
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
Couldn't give a rat's ass about MAC compat or whatever hurdles Apple are making DAW/PlugIn Makers jump over these days (as I'm on Windows PC with zero issues for the last decade over multiple updates), but it's a nice update and remains the best DAW ever created, for the actual task of recording, audio editing and mixing. Something many of the upstarts (some of which I've been a 'fan' of in the past like Studio One and Nuendo) STILL need to learn a lesson from with their multipane BS just to mix and see everything in one go. PT remains the clearest most logical, least gimmicky, DAW for anyone with the mind to not get distracted by shiny new (yet pointless) features/toys in other DAWs.
Mac user so won't get into the PC thing, but I do agree with pro tools interface. It's clear, you can display everything you need, and it has big-ass faders and not tiny things like Luna or Logic.

It clearly is not shiny like others but I find it great!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
...Turbocharge HDX Systems with the Hybrid Engine. Work with M1-based Macs running macOS Big Sur...

The first sentence is a bit confusing if you don't read it carefully!
Yes, the Hybrid Engine is a nice upgrade for HDX users.
Yes, Pro Tools now supports the M1 in Rosetta Mode.

But! It doesn't support Pro Tools HDX on an Apple M1 yet!

Best,
Tilmann
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
picked up my first HDX card and PT Ultimate today because i am the village idiot
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Just did my first 2 mixes in pro tools on my new m1 Maschine. Odd that I only see 4 cores in pro tools. Beside that it is powerful and stable
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➡️
Just did my first 2 mixes in pro tools on my new m1 Maschine. Odd that I only see 4 cores in pro tools. Beside that it is powerful and stable
wait till you try 2021.3.1 (Avid Download Centre)

way more stable and faster than 2021.6 on M1 here.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej ➡️

will try that
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej ➡️

ahh very nice the rolling ball is gone. Love it. Thanks very much for the hint!
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Talking

For anyone who has second thoughts!

Cheers!
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak ➡️
For anyone who has second thoughts!

Cheers!
Don’t get daw bashing just use what you want to use ,especially when it’s a product you do not use must have been a slow YouTube day , life is too short, get on with it and don’t concern yourself with what other people choose to use
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…