Quantcast
Apogee Electronics announces all new Duet 3 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Electronics announces all new Duet 3
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slajer ➡️
Hello! sorry for the ignorance, i'm quite a newbie at this, but will this duet 3 be compatible with windows? also I wonder if based on the specifications they consider that it has better preamps than an ssl2, audient, or zen go? And sorry for so many questions, but what do they mean when they talk about the "breakup cable" (I'm from Argentina, I don't speak English and the translator usually confuses some terms)
It says in the release info on the first page that is supports mac os and windows.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Very excited about this.
The additional outputs cover the problem I had with the Symphony desktop. Hope the converters were updated too...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmints ➡️
Very excited about this.
The additional outputs cover the problem I had with the Symphony desktop. Hope the converters were updated too...
What additional outputs are you referring to? It’s 2-In, 4-Out. Main out and HP out.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Technically, Symphony Desktop has more built-in analog outputs than the Duet 3 because of the second headphone out.

Either way, the Duet 3 isn't a proper alternative for anyone seriously in the market for a Symphony Desktop. The scope and depth of each seems to be in a different league entirely; and I use the word "seems" only because I don't have first hand experience with the sound quality of the Duet 3. Disregarding that aspect though, the two devices are still a league apart in their feature set IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterk ➡️
This is AWESOME!!!!
They were able to add DSP, keep the same price, and improve the design!

The quality is probably insane. Apogee is notoriously slow to release precise specs, but do you know how good the preamps are on Duet?? I can't wait to see what sounds I will be able to get with this.

The breakout cables are just part of the story. This is a backpack device. The dock is a genius upgrade though.

Also, have you heard the ECS Channel Strip DSP? https://youtu.be/pgNeXIyxXl4. No delay or latency while recording with that sound is huge.

This is a pro interface that will change countless artists, producers, mixers, and engineer's lives. I'm so glad Apogee is setting a new bar for themselves and for the industry. To have this kind of package, on iOS, Mac, and PC systems for $599 is incredible! CONGRATS!!!!

I'm definitely upgrading my Element 24. A portable interface with these features, for me is a dream come true.
Unfortunately you and I are left out in the cold by Apogee. They have not updated the Thunderbolt devices and on their website they posted a few months ago July-August for M1 and Big Sur compatibility for Thunderbolt Devices its now mid July and crickets. While they are trumpeting and pushing the Duet 3 and its compatibility.

It looks great and I am happy for the USB3 and 2 device owners finally getting to use the devices with modern Mac OS and M1 machines. I feel I may be saying goodbye to Apogee.

With the end of life statement put out about the Thunderbolt Ensemble( I own) which applies to Element owners as well the writing is on the wall. Move to a different converter before the one you own becomes worthless.

You and I can still sell our devices for decent money to people still currently using older systems but that is going to change quickly. Apogee openly stated they cannot get parts for our devices anymore.

I have been a long time Apogee owner and user but these developments do not bode well on the pro side of things.
UA maybe finally getting my money for an Apollo X8.
Lives for gear

No iOS support, no buy. Apogee is becoming less relevant as time goes by, the rest of the industry has caught up IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
No iOS support, no buy. Apogee is becoming less relevant as time goes by, the rest of the industry has caught up IMO.
Yeah, that is kinda weird for such a compact interface, but then again, most of the pro audience (im sure there are some exceptions), doesnt produce on ios. I think Apogee's core audience still is professionals, seeking top tier conversion, and the majority of that audience is in non mobile operating system. I mean their 2x6se makes the competing Lynx, UAD products sound in a much lower league. I think their real problem is slow development to catch up to updating operating systems withing their supported OS lines (mac os big sur still doesnt work on the M1 laptops, in their flagship)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres ➡️
Yeah, I mean their 2x6se makes the competing Lynx, UAD products sound in a much lower league.
Much lower?

I think the Lynx Aurora n series is easily on par!

The UAD Apollo X range are small step down.

Anyway I'm going off topic. Ignore me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
Much lower?

I think the Lynx Aurora n series is easily on par!

The UAD Apollo X range are small step down.

Anyway I'm going off topic. Ignore me.
Just my opinion. I did say specifically their 2x6 se. Even the regular 8x8 which is a noticeable step down from the 2x6se is more comparable to the lynx hilo (i think hilo > aurora). The Apollo id say is still a small step down from that one. Regardless however, I think apogee's main audience is the same who buys lynx and the top of the line uad units, so it's all perfectly on topic.
I think this duet is to recover a market they had lost a bit of share due to the duet 2 being such an old product (converters improve very fast)

Last edited by nyandres; 1 week ago at 04:55 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, that is kinda weird for such a compact interface, but then again, most of the pro audience (im sure there are some exceptions), doesnt produce on ios. I think Apogee's core audience still is professionals, seeking top tier conversion, and the majority of that audience is in non mobile operating system. I mean their 2x6se makes the competing Lynx, UAD products sound in a much lower league. I think their real problem is slow development to catch up to updating operating systems withing their supported OS lines (mac os big sur still doesnt work on the M1 laptops, in their flagship)
I admit making music from start to finish on iOS isn't that common. But it'd be a great asset for remote recording. And anyways, I think the name of the game in today's music landscape is platform agnostic music creation, where stuff can be worked fluidly across different devices and different locations.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Apollo x series gives the MKII Symphony a serious run for the money. The sound is right there and the specs are better. Its just under the 2x6SE on the DA side and above on the AD. Now of course those are just specs but I have friends who picked up X4’s because they needed a portable interface and the Symphony Desktop was just not working.
I would say all previous Apollo’s did not compare to the Symphony stuff. I will also say this one could put out a killer recording with the Apollo X , Thunderbolt Ensemble,Symphony MKII .
Honestly Pro’s 15 years ago would have killed for converters that spec’d out like these do and delivered this quality of sound. Not to say older converters sounded terrible but ya there has been quite a bit of advancement in converters not only in quality but in the price for quality.
To the point that one is seriously splitting hairs compared to what we had for conversion back in the day.
I own a Thunderbolt Ensemble have owned it since 2014 when the first came out . Bought it because it was the lowest latency converter on the market at the time via Thunderbolt. Did I lust a Symphony MKII or the SE 2x6 of course. Did I need it to turn out fantastic recordings? Not really. TheThunderbolt Ensembles conversion has never got in the way of me being able to turn out great recordings that people had no problems sound wise. Which tells me we really have reached a diminishing returns point on converters. Use what sounds good to you and get over the specs . No one is going to listen to tracks you have done and say hey man the conversion is just off it sounds terrible. .

Now with all that said we do chase the best sound as engineers tend to do . Though really here and now its getting something that works that seems to be really important. With that Apogee has really fallen down on the Pro side. There is no excuse for them to still be putting out products on USB2 and Thunderbolt 2. UAD has their Thunderbolt ports on cards so if the standard should change to something better or the port design change you can swap the card out. Thats pretty brilliant.
Apogee are you listening? Pandemic excuses aside your competitors seem to be delivering way ahead of you. I saw a former Apogee employee I have known for a long time who stated Apogee is not the company they used to be . Its kinda sad.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, that is kinda weird for such a compact interface, but then again, most of the pro audience (im sure there are some exceptions), doesnt produce on ios.
Yet their more pro focused desktop interface can work on iOS.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosskitty ➡️
What additional outputs are you referring to? It’s 2-In, 4-Out. Main out and HP out.
2 more analog outs compared to symphony desktop.
Way easier to reamp guitars/synths and easier to integrate external hardware this way. How would you do that with symphony desktop?

Oh bummer, just checked the feature list again and it’s 4 ins/ 2 outs. How ridiculously stupid to go the same route as with the symphony desktop. Lots of people work hybrid these days, again useless for my way of working...

Last edited by freshmints; 1 week ago at 06:35 AM.. Reason: New insight
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmints ➡️
How would you do that with symphony desktop?
By connecting it to a standalone converter. Unlike the Duet, it has expandable I/O. You can add up to 8 additional inputs and outputs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Still no M1 support for Symphony I/O, Ensemble, etc but here buy these new prosumer devices with full support from the start!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…