Quantcast
Sunset Sound Studio Hollywood-Sound Techniques History - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sunset Sound Studio Hollywood-Sound Techniques History
Old 15th June 2021
Here for the gear

Sunset Sound Studio Hollywood-Sound Techniques History

Sound Techniques Owner, Danny White is no stranger to a challenge. In 2015 he purchased the company Sound Techniques which was responsible for making one of the most premier and top level recording consoles throughout 1965- 1974. Sunset Sound was the first one in The United States to get one of these English Made Consoles and it wound up being used on the some of the best known albums of all time from John Lennon, Frank Zappa, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Captain Beefheart, The Doors, Elton John and so so many more. Danny sits down at Sunset Sound and talks about his new partnership with Sunset Sound owner Paul Camarata, also sitting in is Engineer and Sound Techniques associate Brian Kehew who shares about his relationship with Sound Techniques. The Roundtable also share's where else the console's were housed at famous recording studios all over the globe, such as De Lane Lea, Trident, Kingston , Jamaica , Elektra Records and so on. If you want to know what work was done on these consoles as well as "Why" the Sound Techniques console is such an amazing console with a irreplaceable sound, then watch this episode.

Sound Techniques ZR7064 Sunset Sound Edition
https://soundtechniquesstore.com/pro...set-sound-unit

Sound Techniques Equipment
http:// www.soundtechniquesstore.com

Sound Techniques
http://www.soundtechniques.com

Sunset Sound
http://www.sunsetsound.com

Sound Techniques IG
https://www.instagram.com/soundtechniquesusa/

Brian Kehew IG
https://www.instagram.com/bkehew2000/

Sunset Sound IG
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsoundrecorders/

Drew Dempsey IG
https://www.instagram.com/dfdproductions/
Old 15th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
*reaches for beer and popcorn*
Old 15th June 2021
Gear Maniac

Extremely interesting roundtable. I enjoyed it.
Old 15th June 2021
Gear Addict
OOH... will watch this tonight!
Thanks
Old 15th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper ➡️
*reaches for beer and popcorn*
IPA and Jalapino Poppers.
Old 16th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it was William Wittman who pointed out that it was Sound Techniques consoles that defined the sound of the early to mid 70s, at least for the records that had me enthralled when I was in my teens
Old 17th June 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've owned OG Trident A Range modules and still have[inspired by] old vertical Dakings.
These ST channel strips have a big,beautiful open sound.the EQ is soo good.
instantly reminiscent of the Lou Reed Transformer,Nick Drake,old Bowie vibes.
totally different to Neve,API etc
Old 17th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, was Trident a direct descendant of Sound Techniques?
Old 17th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, was Trident a direct descendant of Sound Techniques?
Trident pilfered the “A Range” moniker from the Original ST consoles they had,then led everyone to believe all those classic records were done on the Trident A Range version consoles (Bowie,T-Rex,etc etc).
Old 18th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sneaky. I wonder if there was a trademark lawsuit filed.... I guess I'll find out when I watch the video
Old 18th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sneaky. I wonder if there was a trademark lawsuit filed.... I guess I'll find out when I watch the video
Very sneaky and lame imo.
I think its prolly water under the bridge trademark wise.
they had me fooled all these years.
people will soon find out that these are the real deal.
These modules absolutely sound better than the Trident A Range modules I had.plus no silly irreplaceable scratchy eq faders.
way more open, wider bandwidth/fidelity and natural sounding compared to vintage 1084's.
Old 18th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting! Did Trident steal any Sound Technique IP (circuit designs etc) and incorporate into their own consoles?

I'm going to watch the video tonight (Aus time), it's shaping up as a great piece of viewing.
Old 18th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Interesting! Did Trident steal any Sound Technique IP (circuit designs etc) and incorporate into their own consoles?

I'm going to watch the video tonight (Aus time), it's shaping up as a great piece of viewing.
Based on seeing the innards of both no I don’t think so.
ST had their own custom wound TX’s.
(Trident used Zutt then some later versions had Jensens).
cool thing is ST nailed them on the new ones.
Old 19th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Based on seeing the innards of both no I don’t think so.
ST had their own custom wound TX’s.
(Trident used Zutt then some later versions had Jensens).
cool thing is ST nailed them on the new ones.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

I watched half the video last night, great viewing. So the new owner/s of ST brought a metallurgist in to analyse the original ST TXs, gotta love the devotion and attention to detail.

The Daking mic pres, I've never used them but I believe they're based on an A Range circuit. Would that be ST A Range, Trident A Range, or are they their own thing?

Old 19th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

I watched half the video last night, great viewing. So the new owner/s of ST brought a metallurgist in to analyse the original ST TXs, gotta love the devotion and attention to detail.

The Daking mic pres, I've never used them but I believe they're based on an A Range circuit. Would that be ST A Range, Trident A Range, or are they their own thing?

The Dakings I believe are derived from the later Trident “A Range” channel circuit.
I still have my vertical 4 band modules I got in 1993.
$2400 bucks at the time.Still functionally rock solid and sound great.
I also got my first Dan Alexander racked 1073 modules around the same time for $3k.so comparatively the Dakings were quite the bargain.
Old 19th June 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I found this pretty interesting a lot of my favorite records from the late 60s and early 70s were done at either Trident or Sunset Sound.

I’m curious about the 4 banger preamp they said they are working on and wonder what the price on that will be. I’m impressed by the sound clips I’ve heard, it’s got the mojo but it also seems to have more clarity especially in the high end than other preamp designs from that era like my electrodynes
Old 20th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
The Dakings I believe are derived from the later Trident “A Range” channel circuit.
I still have my vertical 4 band modules I got in 1993.
$2400 bucks at the time.Still functionally rock solid and sound great.
I also got my first Dan Alexander racked 1073 modules around the same time for $3k.so comparatively the Dakings were quite the bargain.
Nice one, I've got the Daking Mic Pre IV and now the new ST modules on my shopping list. The four banger ST would be ideal for me, depending on price.
Old 26th June 2021
Here for the gear

Sound Techniques 4 Channel Mic Pre

Hello All,
In regards to the Sound Techniques 4 Channel Mic Pre...We are currently putting the finishing touches on the design and layout. The units will be dimensionally consistent (2RU) and contain 4 identical pre amp sections found on our 7064CS. Here is a mock-up of the front panel design in brushed aluminum we thought you might enjoy.
Thanks for looking!
Sound Tech Ops
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset Sound Studio Hollywood-Sound Techniques History-st_4channelmicpre2.jpg  
Old 27th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Tech Ops ➡️
Hello All,
In regards to the Sound Techniques 4 Channel Mic Pre...We are currently putting the finishing touches on the design and layout. The units will be dimensionally consistent (2RU) and contain 4 identical pre amp sections found on our 7064CS. Here is a mock-up of the front panel design in brushed aluminum we thought you might enjoy.
Thanks for looking!
Sound Tech Ops
Lovely
Old 27th June 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Also the DI input on these modules sound spectacular.
Old 27th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Tech Ops ➡️
Hello All,
Thanks for looking!
Sound Tech Ops
I would love 2 of these...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ordered a Sunset Sound box. Gititon!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Took delivery of a Sound Techniques Sunset Sound edition pre/EQ.

Will offer my impressions after some time with it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great, look forward to it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm using them on most everything and loving it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I got my Sound Techniques Sunset Sound Pre/EQ delivered on Friday and I think it's brilliant. I love it. I've always tried to get the sound that you can hear on any number of albums from the late Sixties and through the Seventies (primarily for me, Pentangle, Nick Drake, Bonzo Dog Band, and of course Beatles (Dear Prudence), etc.) For reference you can check out any of the extremely extensive list of LPs that were done with these consoles that's posted on the Sound Techniques website (soundtechniques.com). There were LPs there that were done on ST consoles that I loved but had no idea that's how they were recorded. It's eye opening to check it out.

Anyway, the unit arrived and I've had a little bit of time to run a few things through it, Bass, Vocals, Strat, Acoustics, just to see what it would do and so far it's doing that Sound Techniques thing completely. But it's not only that, it's also modern sounding in a really nice way. The only Compressor I've had available right now to put on the insert is an Audioscape SSL Bus Comp but that's working really well with this and giving it a really nice punch. It's not out of sync with that kind of thing at all. It's like a whole new thing. I look forward to trying it with some other things as well.

It made me really like my U87AI for the first time. I mean, I like the mic but I've always loved the early 87s best and the AI never completely did it for me. The ST SS gave it a quality that I love. It's not exactly like the old 87s from the Seventies that I've used but it gave it a quality that I love just as much. While I don't want to descend into the whole "...Dancing about Architecture" realm, I don't know how to say what I feel about it without saying that it has "texture", "soul", "vibe" and an "organic" quality that everything I've had (and I have had a LOT of preamps/EQs) has failed to provide. There is something happening here with these transformers that just isn't happening anywhere else.

That's it so far. I'm impressed. Very impressed and I can barely stand having to wait to get back in the studio to try more things out. That hasn't happened for a while and it's very cool to have that feeling back. Check it out if you can. It might or might not be your thing but without a doubt it's mine.

Also, Danny at Sound Techniques has been very cool and answered all of my questions about it. Overall I'm very, very happy with the unit.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtyrell ➡️
I got my Sound Techniques Sunset Sound Pre/EQ delivered on Friday and I think it's brilliant. I love it. I've always tried to get the sound that you can hear on any number of albums from the late Sixties and through the Seventies (primarily for me, Pentangle, Nick Drake, Bonzo Dog Band, and of course Beatles (Dear Prudence), etc.) For reference you can check out any of the extremely extensive list of LPs that were done with these consoles that's posted on the Sound Techniques website (soundtechniques.com). There were LPs there that were done on ST consoles that I loved but had no idea that's how they were recorded. It's eye opening to check it out.

Anyway, the unit arrived and I've had a little bit of time to run a few things through it, Bass, Vocals, Strat, Acoustics, just to see what it would do and so far it's doing that Sound Techniques thing completely. But it's not only that, it's also modern sounding in a really nice way. The only Compressor I've had available right now to put on the insert is an Audioscape SSL Bus Comp but that's working really well with this and giving it a really nice punch. It's not out of sync with that kind of thing at all. It's like a whole new thing. I look forward to trying it with some other things as well.

It made me really like my U87AI for the first time. I mean, I like the mic but I've always loved the early 87s best and the AI never completely did it for me. The ST SS gave it a quality that I love. It's not exactly like the old 87s from the Seventies that I've used but it gave it a quality that I love just as much. While I don't want to descend into the whole "...Dancing about Architecture" realm, I don't know how to say what I feel about it without saying that it has "texture", "soul", "vibe" and an "organic" quality that everything I've had (and I have had a LOT of preamps/EQs) has failed to provide. There is something happening here with these transformers that just isn't happening anywhere else.

That's it so far. I'm impressed. Very impressed and I can barely stand having to wait to get back in the studio to try more things out. That hasn't happened for a while and it's very cool to have that feeling back. Check it out if you can. It might or might not be your thing but without a doubt it's mine.

Also, Danny at Sound Techniques has been very cool and answered all of my questions about it. Overall I'm very, very happy with the unit.
I've got two on the way. Looking forward to giving them a try. From what I've heard they are a acoustic guitar dream.

How are you enjoying the eq on them?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
The EQ is great. I'm really liking it. It's very easy to work with for me. It sounds good pretty much however I set it (within reason). Overall a great pleasure.
Old 4 days ago
Hey All, Wanted to take a few moments to thank everyone on this thread for participating. And for those who have offered reviews of the Sunset/Sound Techniques unit. We take every piece seriously. I am personally building each and every one of these 2-Rack Units and will do so for the entirety of this run of 50 LE units. We are a very small company and input from you guys/gals actually putting these into battle, out there making records and providing feedback, is very much appreciated.

This review just out by Joe Chiccarelli on Sound Techniques. Thought you might enjoy it.

Danny

LINK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izMK3vUG2PM
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After watching the video and parsing out all the little asides and stories, I'm a bit confused because sometimes they were referring to Trident Studios as if that studio also had a Sound Techniques console available. Did anyone else gather that too?

Another statement from Brian in the video...something about when the ST consoles were working right they sounded the best...made me wonder if these consoles tended to require more maintenance than others in the 70s. This might explain why they weren't more widely picked up.

That, or their their sales people just didn't perform as well as others in the field. I don't know how you have a console that performed well for so many classic albums and other studios turn away from that console. Or don't even know the brand name. I mean, it was still the prime era of consoles.

That the owner kept the name rights for so long, yet didn't have it in him to revive it and go to trade shows to drum up awareness also speaks volumes.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…