Quantcast
Sunset Sound Studio Hollywood-Sound Techniques History - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sunset Sound Studio Hollywood-Sound Techniques History
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought ➡️
After watching the video and parsing out all the little asides and stories, I'm a bit confused because sometimes they were referring to Trident Studios as if that studio also had a Sound Techniques console available. Did anyone else gather that too?

Another statement from Brian in the video...something about when the ST consoles were working right they sounded the best...made me wonder if these consoles tended to require more maintenance than others in the 70s. This might explain why they weren't more widely picked up.

That, or their their sales people just didn't perform as well as others in the field. I don't know how you have a console that performed well for so many classic albums and other studios turn away from that console. Or don't even know the brand name. I mean, it was still the prime era of consoles.

That the owner kept the name rights for so long, yet didn't have it in him to revive it and go to trade shows to drum up awareness also speaks volumes.
Hey there,
Trident had two Sound Techniques consoles. The first when they opened in 1968. The second came in late 1969 and went into studio one. The original Sound Techniques was move to the then, newly built Studio Two-Remix and was there until late 1977. The first Trident A Range did not come online until at least after August of 1972. So, everything recorded at Trident, from 1968-1972 was Sound Techniques. Everything mixed there was Sound Techniques up to 1977. It's possible that Trident may have used Studio One to mix at some time during these years, but I've been told by Ken Scott and former Trident Studios managers that they didn't.
Reliability:
Sunset Sound: 1967-1974
Elektra Sound Recorders: 1968-1974
Trident: 1968-1977 (see above)
Randy's Studio 17 Kingston: 1971-1981

And on it goes. And this is in an age that by 1974, 8 and 16 track are becoming obsolete, regardless of the manufacturer.

Geoff Frost, the owner of Sound Techniques, went on to develop one of the biggest software companies in the UK, starting in 1976. He didn't have the time or monetary need to restart ST. I spoke to him personally about this at his home in England.

The new ST will prove to be one of the most reliable consoles ever built. Check out Art Kelm's assessment on our webpage, written after our ZR8 spent 6 months at Capitol Studios in Hollywood. Best.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Would love to see something like the ZR7064CS Pre/EQ in a series 500 format.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 ➡️
Would love to see something like the ZR7064CS Pre/EQ in a series 500 format.
Thanks for the reply. We can't get our transformers in it and we won't modify them in any way so that's a non-starter for us. We will have a 4 channel 2 RU coming out though. Best.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…