Quantcast
iZotope Upgrades AI-Powered Audio Assistants in Nectar Pro and Ozone Pro - Page 20 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iZotope Upgrades AI-Powered Audio Assistants in Nectar Pro and Ozone Pro
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I agree with the 19 pages of comments before me that this move by iZotope sucks hard, and I have absolutely no intentions to ever go down the subscription path with any audio company.

I do understand, however, that lots of expensive software engineers need to be paid to maintain all their plugins for new OS versions, new hardware, etc. It's natural that none of us can expect to pay for a piece of software once and then get perpetual free updates. How would such a business case work for the company?

In that sense I much prefer a concept like the much-hated Waves WUP. Now, Waves is unfortunately doing a sh1tty job at updating their plugins for new OS and Apple Silicon compatibility (hello Waves, it is now 9 months since the first M1 Macs dropped and still no M1 updates, wtf?!). But if we leave this aside for a moment, the general principle of charging customers some reasonable fee every now and then when they need updates (and only then, I don't have to pay WUP as long as everything is up and running), is in my opinion a much better model for us users than subscriptions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe ➡️
.....But if we leave this aside for a moment, the general principle of charging customers some reasonable fee every now and then when they need updates
This approach would likely skew update development towards "shiny objects" rather than boring, but perhaps more beneficial "workflow enhancements".

People will pay more readily for Cheesy Poofs than for brussel sprouts.
kir
Gear Nut

Quote:
I do understand, however, that lots of expensive software engineers need to be paid.
The now sibiling company of iZotope made it clear that this is not a real issue: Native Instruments cuts 30% + 20% of workforce while profits grow.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kir ➡️
The now sibiling company of iZotope made it clear that this is not a real issue: Native Instruments cuts 30% + 20% of workforce while profits grow.
Very misleading to quote an article from 2019 as if it were current news.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar ➡️
This approach would likely skew update development towards "shiny objects" rather than boring, but perhaps more beneficial "workflow enhancements".
Two points on that:

1. In the case of WUP, neither "shiny objects" nor workflow enhancements are what you're paying for. You're paying strictly for maintenance, and that makes sense to me. Apple drops a new OS that breaks all plugins? Waves engineers are going to spend a bunch of time on fixing it and producing updates, and I as a customer have to pay for this maintenance work (or stick with the older OS, my choice) - makes sense.

2. At least as far as history indicates, the subscription model does not seem to motivate plugin manufacturers to work on fixes and workflow enhancements instead of on "shiny objects". Slate is a good example: They keep releasing new products rather than doing more useful things such as finally providing the long overdue Apple Silicon support, fixing bugs, or making the workflow improvements you mentioned (heck, the buggy FG-X with its abysmal CPU-efficiency has needed an update with a complete refactoring and UI overhaul for 7 years or so, but nothing is happening).
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm not the biggest fan of WUP, but its not exactly forced on me either. I just go till something breaks and then update it. However more often than not by the time a Waves plugin is causing problems I've usually found something I like better anyway. Only a handful of their plugins have stayed in use throughout the years.
kir
Gear Nut

I agree. WUP also means live support.

The dissonance in the reasoning that the zealous user gives us to enlighten us on the way to the salvation of audio plugins, is to think that you will rely on a single company for life for all your problems, and that the solution that that company will give you will be the best. It is not up to you, the paying subscriber customer, to judge what you want. They give you and you swallow whatever it is thanks to your subscription. Ascend to a higher level, leave everything behind and embrace the subscription.

Quote:
Two points on that:

1. In the case of WUP, neither "shiny objects" nor workflow enhancements are what you're paying for. You're paying strictly for maintenance, and that makes sense to me. Apple drops a new OS that breaks all plugins? Waves engineers are going to spend a bunch of time on fixing it and producing updates, and I as a customer have to pay for this maintenance work (or stick with the older OS, my choice) - makes sense.

2. At least as far as history indicates, the subscription model does not seem to motivate plugin manufacturers to work on fixes and workflow enhancements instead of on "shiny objects". Slate is a good example: They keep releasing new products rather than doing more useful things such as finally providing the long overdue Apple Silicon support, fixing bugs, or making the workflow improvements you mentioned (heck, the buggy FG-X with its abysmal CPU-efficiency has needed an update with a complete refactoring and UI overhaul for 7 years or so, but nothing is happening).
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

One point to remember with iZotopes subscription models is that the products offered are not the same offerings as the stand-alone products. For me working in audio post production there are tools that I use that cannot be found in the subscription models. That means if I want to use them in the future I have to go with the stand-alone products.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Having demoed Ozone 9 for a few days, I bought it, the demo took an age to load and an age before it processed the file, once activated, it loaded really fast in stand alone, but slightly slower as a VST in Reaper, this morning I started another session, and it's back to taking an age to load and process, anyone else had this problem?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy Pots ➡️
Having demoed Ozone 9 for a few days, I bought it, the demo took an age to load and an age before it processed the file, once activated, it loaded really fast in stand alone, but slightly slower as a VST in Reaper, this morning I started another session, and it's back to taking an age to load and process, anyone else had this problem?
Ozone has always been a pretty heavy plugin. Make sure your default has no modules loaded in it. But if its really bad it could be an issue with the specific VST you're using. I know very little about VST's but I hear there's a lot of difference between 2 and 3 when it comes to stabilization in certain DAWs.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWreckinBall ➡️
Ozone has always been a pretty heavy plugin. Make sure your default has no modules loaded in it. But if its really bad it could be an issue with the specific VST you're using. I know very little about VST's but I hear there's a lot of difference between 2 and 3 when it comes to stabilization in certain DAWs.
Cheers mate, I'll try and strip the default down, but it's Ozone's default that's loading at the moment, what gets me, is, once I authorized the demo, the stand alone (full version) loaded normally, the VST took a little while in Reaper, but not as long as the demo did, but the next session, it was back to demo speed of loading in both stand alone and VST.
Old 12 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I saw that Ozone and RX 8 were on sale. I'm looking for a declicker to clean up vinyl rips, so I tried them to see if I wanted to buy. They installed crappy, blurry Win 7 fonts on my new Win 10 laptop. Now I have to reinstall the factory fonts and see if that cleans it up. So lame.
Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn ➡️
I saw that Ozone and RX 8 were on sale. I'm looking for a declicker to clean up vinyl rips, so I tried them to see if I wanted to buy. They installed crappy, blurry Win 7 fonts on my new Win 10 laptop. Now I have to reinstall the factory fonts and see if that cleans it up. So lame.
Don't forget about Acon Digital's products.
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Don't forget about Acon Digital's products.
Yeah AudioLava looks pretty cool for the money. The declicker is just a single slider but I'll give it a try. I tried their DAW a while back and it didn't run very smoothly, but that was on an older computer. Sonnox has a nice declicker plugin but it's a lot more money. Sound It! Pro DAW costs less and has a simplified version of the Sonnox plugin.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…