Quantcast
Voxengo Peakbuster attack-phase boosting and harmonic enhancement plugin released - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Voxengo Peakbuster attack-phase boosting and harmonic enhancement plugin released
Old 25th June 2021
Here for the gear

Recently my laptop went kaput and I lost sessions of about 5-6 songs. All I have of those songs are quick demo mp3 bounces where I just threw a limiter on real quick to get to radio loudness with absolutely no intention of them being final versions. I also really don't want to redo them. But I really smooshed the transients. I ended up getting this Voxengo plugin AND Sonnox transmod (also on sale) at the same time to try to give life back to these over-compressed demoes with higher-end tools. I have to say, whatever the Voxengo is doing sounds better than the transmod. BOTH are kind of a mystery. I mean, I guess I can look at data and plugin dr and try to assess what exactly is going on. I kinda wish I understood what each was doing so I could apply them with a bit more confidence based on whatever material I am trying to enhance. I imagine sonnox "warmth" is second order harmonics, and these dials equate to milliseconds & decibels. The Voxengo tho, is more or less a total mystery. I was looking at the peaks in the waveforms after applying each in visualizers and meters and like, trying my best, but whatever. Thanks for making it! I also have Spiff but that thing is like, I think I need to understand more about why and when I would apply transient enhancement to certain frequencies and not just wing it based on my taste, as I have like, twenty years of blisteringly loud music exposure and trust visualizers, stats, and advice more than my ears at this point.
Old 25th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Has anyone compared this to the UAD precision maximizer ?
Old 25th June 2021
Voxengo

🎧 15 years
Well, no better way to share my songwriting skill that started to evolve, may sound pretty poor. This was around 2000 when I was still composing music the way I could. Lost interest later. Better to view in Courier font to see chord progressions.

She never lied to men

G C D
I loved once a little girl
G C D
Like no one loved her before.
G C D
I wanted her to be mine,
G C D
But she said she had a boyfriend already
E A G
And she never lied to men...

C D
I love you, I love you, I love you, my dear,
C D
But you ain't loving me.
C D
E A G
But you never lied to men.
E A G
Yes, you never lied to men.

And one day she came to me
Like never she did before.
She said she urgently wants to love me,
But problem! I still remember precisely
She never lied to men...

I asked she where her boyfriend was,
She answered: he is nowhere.
But once in the past she said to me
She can't love anyone like she loved him,
Like she never lied to men.

And you never lied to men.

So, what thing I need to do,
That I never did before?
Or I need to heartedly believe her
That she never lied to men,
That she never lied before.

Oh, yes, I love you, I love you, I love you,
Like no one loved you before.

And you never lied to men.
You never lied to men.
Ahh, before...
Old 25th June 2021
Gear Head

Hi Aleksey, I was wondering if there is any way to have seperate bypass or at least a true zero process on the low/ hi amount knob. Yesterday I dialed in a really nice top sheen on a drum buss, however with the Lo set to zero, it was negatively affecting the 808 passing through and choking its tone. Had to settle on not using it in that scenario, and only know realizing that its not always flattering to signals passing through.
Old 25th June 2021
Lives for gear

This thread has it all:
Novel attack-phase boosting DSP
DOS game nostalgia
Practical Russian vocabulary
Deep memory debugging tool tangent
Original song debut with lyrics + chords (Courier font)

I'm looking forward to what comes next.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler ➡️
Hi Aleksey, I was wondering if there is any way to have seperate bypass or at least a true zero process on the low/ hi amount knob. Yesterday I dialed in a really nice top sheen on a drum buss, however with the Lo set to zero, it was negatively affecting the 808 passing through and choking its tone. Had to settle on not using it in that scenario, and only know realizing that its not always flattering to signals passing through.
Did you experiment with number of bands and finding a good input trim? Those can change behavior a lot.

FX Lo defines a point for the processing amount that's interpolated over the number of bands from 20Hz to 20kHz. If your FX Hi is high it could still be having some marginal influence around the 808 frequencies.

How about if you route the 808 to it's own separate bus with (or without) PeakBuster? Then Drums Bus and 808 bus go to a master group for further processing if needed. Maybe a hassle for your workflow, just an idea.

@ Aleksey is there any way to implement an activity light for each band, across the bottom of the UI?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin ➡️

@ Aleksey is there any way to implement an activity light for each band, across the bottom of the UI?
This would be useful! I find when using PB that there are ratios between the amount of Lo and Hi I typically like to use. I do it by ear because there is no other way. But if I could see how much each is working I can better dial in ratios I like as starting points (visually as well as audibly).
Gear Head

Quote:
Did you experiment with number of bands and finding a good input trim? Those can change behavior a lot.

FX Lo defines a point for the processing amount that's interpolated over the number of bands from 20Hz to 20kHz. If your FX Hi is high it could still be having some marginal influence around the 808 frequencies.

How about if you route the 808 to it's own separate bus with (or without) PeakBuster? Then Drums Bus and 808 bus go to a master group for further processing if needed. Maybe a hassle for your workflow, just an idea.

Yes I did actually play with the bands settings as well as the input trim. In that one instance I couldnt come up with a combination of settings that let the 808 body through without affecting it. And yes definitely +1 for some sort of activity band if possible
Old 26th June 2021 | Show parent
Voxengo

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler ➡️
Yes I did actually play with the bands settings as well as the input trim. In that one instance I couldnt come up with a combination of settings that let the 808 body through without affecting it. And yes definitely +1 for some sort of activity band if possible
Well, kick is a "narrowband" signal, there's little that can be done to make a better "tuning", unless adding 64 bands capability and a "spline envelope" editing capability, but that's out of my design decision for the plugin. Maybe try 909.
Old 26th June 2021 | Show parent
Voxengo

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not really worth it without a more precise control over each band.
Old 27th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxengo Aleksey ➡️
Intel has something similar, but its not free and very slow.
(sorry for more OT) It is free since a few years:
The current manner to have Intel Inspector/Vtune/Advisor for free is:
- install Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit
- install Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit
Old 27th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
More МАНДА!

Forever... more МАНДА.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I've been using this on pretty much every mix that's been sent my way so far. Just wanted to ask if it was possible to add a "delta/difference" mode? Sometimes peakbuster can be really subtle. So a delta mode would help a lot on hearing what's actually happening.
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Voxengo

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleResample ➡️
I've been using this on pretty much every mix that's been sent my way so far. Just wanted to ask if it was possible to add a "delta/difference" mode? Sometimes peakbuster can be really subtle. So a delta mode would help a lot on hearing what's actually happening.
I've just released version 1.2 with the "residue" switch.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…