Quantcast
Tone Projects announces Kelvin Tone Shaper - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tone Projects announces Kelvin Tone Shaper
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Bought!

This is perfect because I have no dedicated saturator since before!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan ➡️
Is the offline quality setting working in Ableton Live ?
On my demo, I don't have the option, but I don't know if it's because of the demo or because of some kind of incompatibility (it's mentionned in the manual that the feature can not work with some hosts).
Sadly not... Honestly, I don't know why it's not possible in Live. Kazrogs KClip3 has the same problem. Equilibrium or Cytomics The Drop on the other hand have no Problem with higher Export Render Settings...
I hope this can be adressed, either by Ableton or by Tone Projects.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

All over the mixes right now!
The best saturator shaper there is period.
It can tame harsh materials, reshape something to be more meatier, subtle widener, adding character. All there is its here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I use Tupe also. For me, that is much more in the full on sound design shaping territory especially as the tone options are extremely colourful at default settings. Also, it isn't quite finished yet with the release feature set.

Kelvin doesn't imprint such intense curves and I am a huge fan of the stepped tone shaping controls. It's really simple and straightforward to use and is also much more suitable for mastering, which makes sense being born of Unisum development.

I'm loving it, it's very easy to shape tracks (the best 3 band EQ I've ever used) and make things punchy, full, defined in the mix. I'll definitely use Tupe more for when I want extra powerful flavours. Tupe lacks the 3rd band for pushing the middle frequencies. Tupe also has many more controls to get stuck into and while it is a pretty simple tool there are enough features to get tweaky with. All good fun but as I crave more and more simplicity (to a point) tools like Kelvin really shine. Kelvin's filters are definitely not going to be self resonating any time soon though

Thoughts!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK, I knew all I needed to do was go on record about Kelvin before my mind would be changed. haha

So, I think I'm getting it now. It is extremely subtle in a lot of cases... trying to get it all out of Kelvin was what didn't work for me. It took going through more of the Macc and bManic presets for it to take hold in my ears. (I still suggest using some type of GainMatch plug-in while you're learning a new plug-in.)

When I paired it with the Clariphonic following it—using Kelvin to push into mild settings on the Clariphonic—there was something that happened to the tone on this one particular song that just blossomed. Remove either of them, and it lost its magic. The Clariphonic is doing a bit more noticeable enhancement (still not much); but the combination is a winner. Gonna keep going with Kelvin for a while longer while I'm mixing.

I am having an issue where if I try to relocate Kelvin to another plugin slot in Pro Tools (either a different channel or the same) it is crashing Pro Tools. I am still using the Trial version.
Tone Projects

🎧 15 years
Slowly catching up here... Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️
I agree with everyone that this is an excellent plugin with superb sound quality, lots of useful tonal options, and the EQ is a nice shaping tool as well, rather than just hi/low shelves.

I'll be buying it.

I have some feature requests that I think will take it up a few more notches and shouldn't be hard to implement...

Add two more modes - Parallel and Mid Side.

Serial is good but it can get intense fast and you're always merging one tonal signature into another, so it's always a sonic soup.

These two circuits in parallel would be really special because they can be set to have their own special mojo and it won't be infringed by the other Stage pushing it - they will co-exist and that will create unique spatial results, otherwise not available. I always prefer VSM-3 in parallel.

Then have the option to make Stage 1 = mid and Stage 2 = side - instant spatial mojo. I just tried mid side using Logic's dual mono and it is wonderfully ear opening.
Awesome! Both Parallel and MS was discussed during the beta period, but I decided to hold it for an update. What you describe is the solution I'm currently mostly in favour of but we still need to figure out a few details and explore how to best use the Shaping section is those modes.

Quote:
How do you know the good input level to enter Kelvin when loading a preset ?
In the manual, it says that "Every Kelvin preset is automatically stored with a reference level indicating the peak level expected by the preset in order to sound as intended. ".
But how do I know it ?
By the way, why is a peak level used for reference, and not a RMS level
Kelvin listens to the level of your track and adjusts the Input/Output accordingly when loading a preset. You don't really need to do anything for it to do its thing, but of course, it's meant to get you in the ballpark so you'd probably still want to fine-tune.
You could argue for using RMS instead but I found it most helpful to use the peak level because presets might be pushing things close to clipping, and so it's relevant to know what the loudest part is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs ➡️
Small feature request: in the eq section, could we have it so double-clicking a slider resets it to zero?
You can right-click to reset to default. You can keep clicking to toggle between default and your previous setting which is handy for ab'ing.
Also, hold Shift while dragging Input/Gain/Drive/Output to inversely link with the corresponding control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranformer ➡️
For me the greatest feature in this (among many) is the widener.
You throw a bass from your moog and it becomes so wide and you're wondering if there will be anything to listen after you hit the mono button, yet the mono compatibility is still there!
I think it's a pretty unique feature. You can use it subtle for feel, or go nuts with it. Also quite nice when used in parallel.

Quote:
Is the offline quality setting working in Ableton Live ?
Unfortunately not. As far as I can see, Live doesn't let plug-ins know when it's rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
Gainstation is for shaping and being creative, getting a "crunch" effect etc. Kelvin is more for subtle saturation, getting glue in the mix, or adding saturation to buses / master.
I'm all for using different tools, but if you only turn to Kelvin for the subtle duties I think you'll be missing out on some of its creative uses. Don't be afraid to push the models and to abuse the Shaping section. You can get some nice complex interactions from the two stages when you modulate the Gain/Drive or the Shaping filters.

For more aggressive sounds, you could try pushing hard into Dark Iron or GE32. They will start to clip in some rather interesting ways.

Cheers,
Rune
Gear Addict

I'm finding that it's great on the Master - sitting after compression and doing double duty - where I would usually have an analog style EQ doing some broad strokes, the EQ in Kelvin is spot-on, Pultec High and Low, little increments - the 0.25db is very much appreciated - and it's excellent for shaping the final tone of the Master.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR ➡️
I felt the same at the very beginning when
I felt it is exactly the same when send tracks to my outboard saturators (Culture Vulture Mastering Red, pair of Distressors, Fatso when I had one, various custom saturation boxes etc...).
How well do you think Kelvin measures up to actual outboard saturation?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman ➡️
a deep, capable beast.
Thank you, I've been looking for an unambiguous way of introducing myself in formal settings.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Bought. Sounds awesome, both when using subtle and when driving things to extremes.

One question/request tho : Wouldn't it be even more flexible if you could select different frequency bands for pre and post ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
OK, I knew all I needed to do was go on record about Kelvin before my mind would be changed. haha

So, I think I'm getting it now. It is extremely subtle in a lot of cases... trying to get it all out of Kelvin was what didn't work for me. It took going through more of the Macc and bManic presets for it to take hold in my ears. (I still suggest using some type of GainMatch plug-in while you're learning a new plug-in.)

When I paired it with the Clariphonic following it—using Kelvin to push into mild settings on the Clariphonic—there was something that happened to the tone on this one particular song that just blossomed. Remove either of them, and it lost its magic. The Clariphonic is doing a bit more noticeable enhancement (still not much); but the combination is a winner. Gonna keep going with Kelvin for a while longer while I'm mixing.

I am having an issue where if I try to relocate Kelvin to another plugin slot in Pro Tools (either a different channel or the same) it is crashing Pro Tools. I am still using the Trial version.
Ah ah ah. You're weak with gear lust..
Did you compare Kelvin to True Iron ? Clariphonic is hardware or plugin ?
The more I think about it, the more I think Kelvin is a kind of upgraded True Iron (in terms of features at least). To me Kelvin doesn't do the vibe/obvious saturation in an interesting way. Exactly like True Iron.
It's more a subtle better maker (even if half of time I'm note sure it's better with it than without it - but I guess it's personnal taste).
I didn't compare directly with True Iron, but I think I have better feeling with True Iron because I know it's supposed to be subtle (and generally I like how it sounds)...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I shouldn't buy any plugin based on what I hope the dev will do, but based on what the plugin is when I buy it.
I didn't hear Tone Projects say anything about future features...
  • First: You probably missed the part were i praise the widener for what it did and made me buy it. Here it is for you:

Quote:

For me the greatest feature in this (among many) is the widener. You throw a bass from your moog and it becomes so wide and you're wondering if there will be anything to listen after you hit the mono button, yet the mono compatibility is still there!
  • Second:
    Quote:
    I foresee a great future for Kelvin with all the possible updates.
    M/S selection, Parallel mode, knob selection on clean and wideness, rhythm selector +1 on all

The keywords here are: Foresee and possible

fore·​see | \ fȯr-ˈsē \
    Definition of foresee:
    transitive verb

to see (something, such as a development) beforehand, to predict.

• Third: In general you are right but sometimes, just sometimes, It's called supporting someones vision for common good.

How do we define which one of those times is the right one to support? Simple, we see who did what and beyond the person, most important what's his vision or even better his actions.
    so here we are :

From what we read in manual, it's a one man project that has already shown good attention to detail and introduced some nice
    features combined with great GUI ergonomics and aesthetics overall in his last two releases. That's W/O even counting Compadre, which was excellent for the time it was released. (x86 era)
    Unisum, which was released some time back, raised the standards in VST compressors for this decade, the same way Kush and TDR did before and waves with RComp in 2003. The list goes on...
    So with my criteria, fits to the list of those who will/are move(ing) the industry forward and therefore i am more likely to benefit from his work.

• Fourth:
    Free tip: To understand "collective good" in your field, neighborhood, society etc, it's mandatory to use the letter i, less than four times in a one line post

Over and out
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Kelvin sounds good to me. Subtle or more in your face.

But if you don't like it. You don't like it. Move on. Sometimes I don't see the point of posting a gazillion times that you don't like how certain plugins sounds. But ok.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Fantastic plugin, well done Tone Projects!
One feature request would be for an the option on each EQ band to only affect the mid or the side. This would turn this from excellent, to a use on every session kind of deal.
I have faked this in Pro Tools using a dual mono instance of Kelvin with an m/s enode and decode before and after, but to have it built in would be brilliant. But therwise, top job on the plugin!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
  • First: You probably missed the part were i praise the widener for what it did and made me buy it. Here it is for you:
  • Second:

The keywords here are: Foresee and possible

fore·​see | \ fȯr-ˈsē \
    Definition of foresee:
    transitive verb

to see (something, such as a development) beforehand, to predict.

• Third: In general you are right but sometimes, just sometimes, It's called supporting someones vision for common good.

How do we define which one of those times is the right one to support? Simple, we see who did what and beyond the person, most important what's his vision or even better his actions.
    so here we are :

From what we read in manual, it's a one man project that has already shown good attention to detail and introduced some nice
    features combined with great GUI ergonomics and aesthetics overall in his last two releases. That's W/O even counting Compadre, which was excellent for the time it was released. (x86 era)
    Unisum, which was released some time back, raised the standards in VST compressors for this decade, the same way Kush and TDR did before and waves with RComp in 2003. The list goes on...
    So with my criteria, fits to the list of those who will/are move(ing) the industry forward and therefore i am more likely to benefit from his work.

• Fourth:
    Free tip: To understand "collective good" in your field, neighborhood, society etc, it's mandatory to use the letter i, less than four times in a one line post

Over and out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caet ➡️
Kelvin sounds good to me. Subtle or more in your face.

But if you don't like it. You don't like it. Move on. Sometimes I don't see the point of posting a gazillion times that you don't like how certain plugins sounds. But ok.
I didn't know I was in the "POSITIVE Tone Projects" group and the "Hermeneutical society" at the same time.
Truly sorry to interrupt the party with some questions about this plugin.
I find it interesting, very well made feature-wise, but I don't hear anything special at the output, so I'm just trying to understand and be sure I don't miss something.
I don't think it's very useful to read on gearspace, each time a plugin is released, the usual clichés about how it's a "game-changer", the "best plugin ever", or how it's "obviously better than everything else". And then the next week the hype is on another game-changer that everybody will forget in 2 weeks.
I prefer more technical posts, like those of bManic for exemple (that praised the plugin by the way, and showed some very good points of it).
Between rational adults, maybe we could just discuss the pro and con, and not attack someone because he's got different opinion ?
But maybe you just want to be sure you bought something useful, and were not tricked by some clever marketing.

By the way, I don't say this plugin is bad - I even think it's very good, specially thanks to its features, but I'm covered with better stuff for my use and one the most interesting feature (the emphasis EQ) is already something I use on everything thanks to a home made Live rack.
I'm just trying to figure out why there is so much craze about it. You never know if you are going to miss something - but often, business is exploiting that feeling. Trying to check some reviews on youtube, I even saw a video where the guy was almost crying speaking about the plugin : we live in ridiculous world.

Anyway, thanks for the lesson. You've been a life changer for me...

Last edited by Calagan; 1 week ago at 08:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ah ah ah. You're weak with gear lust..
Did you compare Kelvin to True Iron ? Clariphonic is hardware or plugin ?
The more I think about it, the more I think Kelvin is a kind of upgraded True Iron (in terms of features at least). To me Kelvin doesn't do the vibe/obvious saturation in an interesting way. Exactly like True Iron.
It's more a subtle better maker (even if half of time I'm note sure it's better with it than without it - but I guess it's personnal taste).
I didn't compare directly with True Iron, but I think I have better feeling with True Iron because I know it's supposed to be subtle (and generally I like how it sounds)...
OK, I'm in. I bought it. haha

I don't use True Iron anymore... another one that went away in the GainMatch purge. But I'm starting to get a proper handle on Kelvin now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I think I found a bug...... Preset scrolling <> stops working after a few minutes in VST3 version. Ableton 11.0.2, Catalina 10.15.7.
Also stops working if you close and open the GUI. have to click on name and reselect another preset for it to start scrolling through again.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I definitely recommend to not sleep on the soft clipper ... it sounds great and interacts nicely with the rest of the gain stages.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 ➡️
I definitely recommend to not sleep on the soft clipper ... it sounds great and interacts nicely with the rest of the gain stages.
I almost always leave it on…
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Tone projects plugin aren’t hard sounding. That’s what’s weird about them compared to everything else. They are dimensional in a way that’s unusual. I honestly miss that hardness sometimes with unisum, but man is it amazing to have a compressor that does what it does. I think this plugin might be even more useful than unisum, as it really doesn’t ruin the dimension at all at least when used subtly. Pretty awesome.
Gigahertz Tupe is another "soft" sounding saturation IMO - kinda the opposite of VSM-4 which brings a lot of focus
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
People just want one tool to do everything but to me that seems unreal.
I bought it and i will use it on the appropriate task.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe ➡️
Gigahertz Tupe is another "soft" sounding saturation IMO - kinda the opposite of VSM-4 which brings a lot of focus
Really looking forward to hearing that one when its available again!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler ➡️
I think I found a bug...... Preset scrolling <> stops working after a few minutes in VST3 version. Ableton 11.0.2, Catalina 10.15.7.
Also stops working if you close and open the GUI. have to click on name and reselect another preset for it to start scrolling through again.
Yep. Same here. Studio One v5.2.1, VST3, WIN 10
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Ok, just bought it. Used on some funk drums with great success and I think I'll be using this a lot from now on.

I could get weight, depth and width very easily while being very subtle at the same time. It eats peaks in a very nice way as well.

Great job, Rune.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune L-H ➡️
Awesome! Both Parallel and MS was discussed during the beta period, but I decided to hold it for an update. What you describe is the solution I'm currently mostly in favour of but we still need to figure out a few details and explore how to best use the Shaping section is those modes.
I have some ideas for the interface to handle these mods.

Add another 3 way switch: Series, Parallel, Mid-Side.

When you select Series it looks and acts like it does now.

When you select Parallel you can then click on Stage 1 (the name could be a button) and the EQ for that Stage will be active on the right.

When you click on the Stage 2 button, the EQ changes for that Stage - no need for two at once on the UI.

When you select Mid-Side, it's the same thing for the EQs.

So you just need to add another EQ section internally, but the interface will hardly change at all - just one new slider, and the functionality will soar.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Kind of sad that I demo'd this for an hour or so as now I will probably end up buying. If anyone is still on the fence, I personally think there is a lot of overlap with the feature set of Saturn 2 for shaping the sound, but the Algos just sound a bit different (not better per se, but different enough I can see using them instead in many cases). Personally I really like the Hygge setting (it sounds like something I don't already have), and the soft clipper is REALLY nice and transparent.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Instant purchase from me to support the developer because Unisum is awesome. So far, Kelvin doesn't give me the same instant wow factor, but I'm hoping it will grow on me with time and continued experimentation.

I personally don't find the GUI nearly as creatively inspiring as Tupe by Goodhertz. So far it's easier for me to pull nice tones out of Tupe... The tilt eq with Tupe is actually incredibly useful, kind of wish Kelvin had something similar, the shelving eq alone is not quite the same.

A bit more visual feedback with Kelvin would be cool too, like input and output meters at the very least. Some of the parallel configurations and M/S options as discussed in this thread would definitely take it up a notch as well.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Live user here. Anyone else notice that both Unisum and Kelvin are unresponsive for several seconds upon instantiation?

Also, I’ve not had issues with offline render settings working in other plugins (DMG, Voxengo and others)

My biggest feature request for both Unisum and Kelvin are undo/redo.

Enjoying both plugins immensely here
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I had the newsletter discount and missed the intro special because I sat on the fence. I wasn’t immediately convinced if I bender Kelvin. And yet on third day the penny dropped.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra ➡️
Live user here. Anyone else notice that both Unisum and Kelvin are unresponsive for several seconds upon instantiation?

Also, I’ve not had issues with offline render settings working in other plugins (DMG, Voxengo and others)

My biggest feature request for both Unisum and Kelvin are undo/redo.

Enjoying both plugins immensely here
I had the exact same problem with Unisum in Reaper x64 and reported it to Rune.

We found a workaround that worked, turning off the wireless adapter.

In the end the problem was fully solved when I updated my machine from Win7 to Win10x64.

Last edited by DanArt; 6 days ago at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Misspeling
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…