Quantcast
Apple Music announces Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos; will bring Lossless Audio to entire catalog - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apple Music announces Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos; will bring Lossless Audio to entire catalog
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

John Mayer's newest album is my fav Atmos album so far.

Listening to the Atmos version on both Atmos 7.2.2 speaker system and using non-Apple headphones.

Who did the Atmos mix for that?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

The Rufus Du Sol Live from Joshua Tree is pretty rad in Atmos. I don't have a setup, only on headphones.

Not just biased because I live there...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by louderjamz ➡️
John Mayer's newest album is my fav Atmos album so far.

Listening to the Atmos version on both Atmos 7.2.2 speaker system and using non-Apple headphones.

Who did the Atmos mix for that?
I’m pretty sure it’s Spike Stent since he mixed the whole record. Haven’t listened to the atmos mix since I disabled it on my Apple Music (most of the stuff I looked for sounded awful compared to the stereo lossless mix) but the record sounds amazing so I bet it is a great experience if the amos mix was well executed.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixscix ➡️
if the amos mix was well executed.
It is to my ears / personal tastes.

Most of the music is coming from the front, with just a sprinkling of spatial effects in the surround speakers (in my setup anyway). That's the way it should be in my opinion. Really good use of L, C and R channels. Especially Center channel.

I don't want to hear John Mayer playing guitar behind me
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by louderjamz ➡️
It is to my ears / personal tastes.

Most of the music is coming from the front, with just a sprinkling of spatial effects in the surround speakers (in my setup anyway). That's the way it should be in my opinion. Really good use of L, C and R channels. Especially Center channel.

I don't want to hear John Mayer playing guitar behind me
I’ve heard it. It’s a really really good atmos mix.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixscix ➡️
I’ve heard it. It’s a really really good atmos mix.
But don't some people wanna hear Greg Phillinganes playing keyboard from the ceiling !

Like some other Atmos mixes I've heard.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The real benefit of Atmos mixes is the improvements to dynamics.

Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
The real benefit of Atmos mixes is the improvements to dynamics.

So I mixed the Coldplay example in Atmos, along with the rest of the Coldplay album to be released.

Very nice review and analysis.

Dynamics is actually one of the things that is hardest to get right in Atmos in my opinion. We have so much more room to play with, but need to maintain as much of the original mix sound as possible. The original mix would have been through mastering, I don't believe that my Atmos version was mastered.

I did the Atmos mix on my own, no input, no one from production or band during the mix.

The client did audition and approve the Atmos mix, though exactly who in that chain it was I'm not certain. I know that one of the engineer / producers on the project did audition most / many of the album Atmos mixes that I did and approved. Not sure if the band, song producers heard them. It is pretty hard to find a proper room for them to get into to listen to the mixes with their own obligations and schedules.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…