Quantcast
Waves Announces New Enhanced Gold Plus and Platinum Plus Subscription Plans - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Announces New Enhanced Gold Plus and Platinum Plus Subscription Plans
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJV ➡️
Almost everything in this bundle is 10-20 years old FYI.
Doesn't necessarily make them bad plugins. Doesn't make them good either, hehehe.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➡️
Honest question: what would you need support for?
Have you never had a plugin suddenly start crashing on you? Have you never suddenly had your system tell you waves are not authorized? Or Logic doesn't see them? S*** happens.

BTW if you do buy the WUP then you get to authorize on two different computers. I know you can put the auth on a flash drive and carry it around, but to me it's more convenient to have it auth'd on my desktop and laptop at the same time.

No doubt WUP is probably too expensive to justify for a small studio. But for my company it's just "insurance".
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin ➡️
BTW if you do buy the WUP then you get to authorize on two different computers. I know you can put the auth on a flash drive and carry it around, but to me it's more convenient to have it auth'd on my desktop and laptop at the same time.
Is this a new thing..? I had never heard about this before.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I actually quite like a handful of waves plugins. The H-Series sounds great and is a pleasure to use. IR1 has some great reverbs too (CBGB's in particular is very cool).

I have no desire to dump the few waves plugins I use frequently, but I do like to have options. Does anyone have a recommendation for an(other) excellent upward compressor that is an alternative to MV2? It is so nice for bringing subtle detail forward without otherwise affecting the rest of the signal.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
Does anyone have a recommendation for an(other) excellent upward compressor that is an alternative to MV2? It is so nice for bringing subtle detail forward without otherwise affecting the rest of the signal.
Funny you should mention MV2, the little but equally powerful brother of MaxxVolume. It is absolutely brilliant.

There is nothing similar I am aware of.

There are certain Waves plugins I would find irreplaceable.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Is this a new thing..? I had never heard about this before.
It is relatively new. Sign in and go to "My Products" and you should see "register second license" if you have active WUP.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have you never had a plugin suddenly start crashing on you? Have you never suddenly had your system tell you waves are not authorized? Or Logic doesn't see them? S*** happens.

No doubt WUP is probably too expensive to justify for a small studio. But for my company it's just "insurance".
Actually, I have had the problems you describe, but only with Waves plugs. Drove me crazy sometimes. Another reason I do not miss them.

I bought a new laptop for music production last year and made the conscious decision Not to install my Waves plugs.

If WUP works for you guys in your studio, that's great. Everyone has their favorites they rely on.

Thanks for your reply.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It is relatively new. Sign in and go to "My Products" and you should see "register second license" if you have active WUP.
Right.

Well, I won't be updating my rather large number of Waves plugins until I absolutely have to... Perhaps if or when I get a new machine with a more recent OS.

Right now, everything just works - don't poke the bear.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Couldn't you just WUP if something goes wrong and if not you save a lot over time?

EDIT: This isn't related to the 2 authorisations - just for other people who only require single authorisation - I realise you need the two.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny you should mention MV2, the little but equally powerful brother of MaxxVolume. It is absolutely brilliant.

There is nothing similar I am aware of.

There are certain Waves plugins I would find irreplaceable.
I love them both. Try out Ursa DSP's Boost.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Couldn't you just WUP if something goes wrong and if not you save a lot over time?
I think you can still call their support line even if you don't have WUP. However, if they suggest, for example, that a newer version of the plugin would solve your crashing issue, and you don't have WUP, then you would have to buy it. But like I said, with tight deadlines and clients breathing down your neck, it's nice to feel like you are covered.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
I actually quite like a handful of waves plugins. The H-Series sounds great and is a pleasure to use. IR1 has some great reverbs too (CBGB's in particular is very cool).

I have no desire to dump the few waves plugins I use frequently, but I do like to have options. Does anyone have a recommendation for an(other) excellent upward compressor that is an alternative to MV2? It is so nice for bringing subtle detail forward without otherwise affecting the rest of the signal.
UrsaDSP’s Boost — I’m finding it to be exceptional at the tasks I used MV2 for and some.

For real, it’s pretty amazing
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justifiednoise ➡️
UrsaDSP’s Boost — I’m finding it to be exceptional at the tasks I used MV2 for and some.

For real, it’s pretty amazing
Beat you to it by 2 posts
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks folks. I'll check out Boost. Appreciate it!
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I love them both. Try out Ursa DSP's Boost.
Interesting. Looks good.

It seems to be aimed at mastering..?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting. Looks good.

Yes primarily it started out that way but as it's light on CPU and if you look at the relevant thread people have been using it on tracks and buses within a mix. Awesome plugin.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes primarily it started out that way but as it's light on CPU and if you look at the relevant thread people have been using it on tracks and buses within a mix. Awesome plugin.
Cool.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Beat you to it by 2 posts
Great minds think alike!

... but lesser minds replied before reading the whole thread, hehe.

Happy to see other people excited about Boost too
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Interesting. Looks good.

If you work with sample based drums or percussion it does wonders at the track level.

Definitely takes some getting used to though since squishing the bottom of the dynamic range sounds different then squishing the top.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by justifiednoise ➡️
If you work with sample based drums or percussion it does wonders at the track level.

Definitely takes some getting used to though since squishing the bottom of the dynamic range sounds different then squishing the top.
Right.

I currently use MV2 and MaxxVolume for this purpose.

Once you get your head around it, you'd never want to be without a tool like that. MV2 is particularly easy to use, it does all the heavy lifting for you.

Try it on bass guitar too, the effect can be magical.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Almost everything in this bundle is 10-20 years old FYI.
So is in Soundtoys Bundle. But they can’t update old plugins. They can maybe do MK2 versions, as at least i don’t want them to make Decapitator or L2 sound ”better”.

Fab Filter plugins have more or less replaced all Waves plugins in my work. I do like old the Metaflanger and sometimes use the CLA plugins. When i one day upgrade to M1 Mac, i do not expect any of my current Waves plugins to work.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
Doesn't necessarily make them bad plugins. Doesn't make them good either, hehehe.
For sure. I still use some that here that I was using in 2003... (e.g. R-Comp, S1 Imager) but the analog models are getting long in the tooth (of course the sound of the old Waves analog plugins is a sound in itself).
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
For sure. I still use some that here that I was using in 2003... (e.g. R-Comp, S1 Imager) but the analog models are getting long in the tooth (of course the sound of the old Waves analog plugins is a sound in itself).
I've honestly stopped using many of the old ones because of their small GUIs. I read here that the "scaling" is just blurry uprezzed graphics.

Which would help these old eyes but not be like most other companies that properly rescale their graphics.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
I've honestly stopped using many of the old ones because of their small GUIs. I read here that the "scaling" is just blurry uprezzed graphics.

Which would help these old eyes but not be like most other companies that properly rescale their graphics.
That's the reason I haven't considered WUPing to v12. Waiting for them to do the resizing of GUIs properly and then maybe I'll see some value for myself.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…