Quantcast
PreSonus Re-creates Retro Mix Legends with New Mix Engine Effects Plug-ins - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Re-creates Retro Mix Legends with New Mix Engine Effects Plug-ins
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha ➡️
Lol, I love when people argue against their own best interest!
I don’t understand... $30 is peanuts

Are you saying that $30 is so much money that my post suggest that I’ve made your point for you? That’s odd AF

It’s called s1 professional.... not s1 “living in a van down by the river”
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #32
Gear Addict
 
Digital Crush's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic ➡️
Didn't like any state space emu. Just my taste
Same here, i really wanted to like em though. Studio One is my favorite Daw
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
jackURbody's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
I don’t understand... $30 is peanuts

Are you saying that $30 is so much money that my post suggest that I’ve made your point for you? That’s odd AF

It’s called s1 professional.... not s1 “living in a van down by the river”
Haha
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #34
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
It’s called s1 professional.... not s1 “living in a van down by the river”
Old 2 weeks ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 
microwave's Avatar
But the pass through is the whole point of a mix effect plugin. I can understand that they would inherently be cpu hungry, however I find that compared to Logic, Studio One starts folding in with sessions where Logic (on my system) sails through, and that’s with the mix effects turned off. Which is a shame because I find Studio One much more enjoyable to use.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #36
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommijk ➡️
Well the cpu is depending how you use the plugin.. turn the passthrough off and eco mode on, and the plugin is quite light on cpu. If you want to use passthrough, it is essentially processing each channel internally, so that causes the cpu. Every other plugin would do the same.
Passthrough is the whole point of MixFx.

But passthrough is only relevant if you have buses feeding into the channel with the mixfx.
If you have all your tracks going direct to the master, with MixFx on the master, the passthrough button won't do anything.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
kj.metissage's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
I don’t understand... $30 is peanuts

Are you saying that $30 is so much money that my post suggest that I’ve made your point for you? That’s odd AF

It’s called s1 professional.... not s1 “living in a van down by the river”
Hahaha, what a punchline that is.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
rojhmusic's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM ➡️
Passthrough is the whole point of MixFx.

But passthrough is only relevant if you have buses feeding into the channel with the mixfx.
If you have all your tracks going direct to the master, with MixFx on the master, the passthrough button won't do anything.
Really?
But when I enable mixfx on the master the CPU jumps up high. The busses without mixfx going to the master sounds OK though. So you mean you need to add more mixfx and CPU cycles before you can use it properly?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
rojhmusic's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush ➡️
Same here, i really wanted to like em though. Studio One is my favorite Daw
Yeah. Studio one is my mixing Daw straight up.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
JayFalcon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
They’re $30!
I wouldn't just throw £30 in the bin...what's so wrong with wanting a demo ?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #41
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFalcon ➡️
I wouldn't just throw £30 in the bin..
That's because there's no bin outside your van by the river, right?

The irony in what was said above, is that many audio 'pros' are having a tough time through the past 18 months, and more hobbyists will buy products like this on a whim - who have more disposable/regular income.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #42
Gear Addict
 
Jake_SJL's Avatar
 
They are £30 each, and there’s 3 of them, so £90 (or £70 if bought together as a bundle) to find out that you only like one of them is a lot. not even including the original CTC-1 which is another £70.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #43
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic ➡️
Really?
But when I enable mixfx on the master the CPU jumps up high. The busses without mixfx going to the master sounds OK though. So you mean you need to add more mixfx and CPU cycles before you can use it properly?
Maybe my post wasn't clear. Do you have passthrough turned on or not?
Just keep the one instance on the master.

E.g. you have 8 drums tracks going to a drum bus, and 4 guitar tracks going to a guitar bus. If you put MixFx on the master, with passthrough turned on, it's like having 12 instances of the plugin, one on each individual track. If passthrough is turned off, it's like having 2 instances of the plugin, on just the guitar bus and drum bus.
It's up to you how you want to use it and depends on what your cpu can handle in the session.
Old 1 week ago
  #44
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
By the way, there's a bug with mixfx, I don't know if it's been fixed since version 5.

If you send a sidechain from one track to another, the track receiving the sidechain will NOT receive the mixfx from the master. The workaround is to send your sidechain to a bus containing the track you want to sidechain, rather than the track itself.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #45
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
As a Studio One user I'm interested in these (and will probably get at least one of them) however I'm wondering whether these effects have any anti-aliasing measures, or whether anyone has even checked this?

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #46
Gear Maniac
 
illegal4Hunna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsmusic ➡️
As a Studio One user I'm interested in these (and will probably get at least one of them) however I'm wondering whether these effects have any anti-aliasing measures, or whether anyone has even checked this?

Cheers!
They alias on a sine wave at 10k but not on proper audio material. That applies for most plugins too tbh. Dont worry about aliasing
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #47
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
They alias on a sine wave at 10k but not on proper audio material. That applies for most plugins too tbh. Dont worry about aliasing
Correct me if I'm wrong but won't a lot of "proper audio material" contain sine waves at 10k?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #48
Gear Maniac
 
illegal4Hunna's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsmusic ➡️
Correct me if I'm wrong but won't a lot of "proper audio material" contain sine waves at 10k?
No, you'll literally never have actual audio material that contains a single sine wave at 10k.

Or I should say, in any real audio material (minus things like digital hi hats) the stuff above say 7k or 8k is so low in terms of how much of the waveform it takes up that you won't generally get aliasing unless you're blasting it.
Old 1 week ago
  #49
Brb
Lives for gear
 
Brb's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
how does the ssl (brit) sound?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb ➡️
how does the ssl (brit) sound?
+1
Old 1 week ago
  #51
Here for the gear
 
Without demo Presonus pushed me to try Sphere. And actually I don't mind because after two day test new mix fx seems like seruous upgrade from CTC-1. Initially I came for API emulation, but felt in love with Brit. With vintage-super-modern switch it feels like 3 different but distinct emus. Especially I liked crispiness of modern emu. Also tape is nice but I need to spend more time with it.
I feels like paired with Console 1 or SSL UC1 controllers It can be next step in itb mixing.
Old 6 days ago
  #52
Lives for gear
 
microwave's Avatar
One thing I notice with Porta Cassette is that it introduces a ton of latency. Best used only at the mixing stage. It sounds really good though.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
microwave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsmusic ➡️
+1
It sounds great. Unlike the other mix effects, which collapse if you push them excessively (nothing wrong with that, just watch your levels and don’t overdo the settings), the SSL emulation takes huge amounts of punishing without giving in, just like the real thing. At conservative settings it is extremely subtle, when dimed and overloaded it introduces a crisp, lively edge to the mix which never becomes out and out distortion.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump