The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the New RME Fireface UCX II
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacid ➡️
why this test is on windows 7 with a computer from 2014 and very old cpu?
is it possible some drivers take advantage of new os capabilities and cpu instructions sets?
anyway this system is not comparable to almost anybody's system today.
I understand the value of compering new test to old ones but it's possible results will be different on a more modern machines.
worth checking out...
Windows 7 is obsolete. Doing the test on a old computer might be a good way to see any difference. However thinks have happen over year. But the missing part is the resources that a consumed. What memory pressure does it cause, how long is irq disabled, how many cpu cycles a used. This thinks is of course very hard to measure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why did they reduce the midi output to only 1 bus instead of the previous 2 busses ?
That's a step back
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid ➡️
Why did they reduce the midi output to only 1 bus instead of the previous 2 busses ?
That's a step back
i can understand why they took out the wc in but midi is totally usable, i was surprised by this too
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
why this test is on windows 7 with a computer from 2014 and very old cpu?
is it possible some drivers take advantage of new os capabilities and cpu instructions sets?
Because people have test bed like this and they did measurements with it. In 2018-2019 it was prime time Chipset/CPU. Some research: c612 was announced in 2014 and first systems appeared in 2015 and it's Xenon chipset so it's perfect for what it was.

Mind to share details of os capabilities and cpu instruction sets you're talking about )) ?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb ➡️
Because people have test bed like this and they did measurements with it. In 2018-2019 it was prime time Chipset/CPU. Some research: c612 was announced in 2014 and first systems appeared in 2015 and it's Xenon chipset so it's perfect for what it was.

Mind to share details of os capabilities and cpu instruction sets you're talking about )) ?
seems logical some things changed since windows7 and i7 920 regarding pcie thunderbolt, maybe not, i asked if it's possible and that is worth checking out. if you know more about this subject feel free to elaborate,
you confused me with someone that knows you feisty one
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
seems logical some things changed since windows7 and i7 920 regarding pcie thunderbolt, maybe not, i asked if it's possible and that is worth checking out. if you know more about this subject feel free to elaborate,
you confused me with someone that knows you feisty one
I doubt somebody is using PICE Thunderbolt because audio data rates are low. PICE Thunderbolt would only increase latency but would allow bigger throughput and it's targeted to things like eGPUs and Displays but they also have different latency expectations. So there are no news here.
There is nice explanation next to the table of why they RME is getting low latency and also I don't think TB, USB would ever reach PCIe latency but 0.4-0.6 ms of difference is good enough to not think about it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I recently bought an RME ADI-2 2 DAC (basically pro version with just DAC&headphone amp), however I'm thinking of selling it and just buying this. I'm just using the ADI-2 DAC as my interface right now, then switching to my 100$ audient id4 to record vocals/guitars

Would I miss the sound quality of RME ADI-2 DAC/Headphone amp? Or will this basically sound the same?
JES
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by konokoknk ➡️
I recently bought an RME ADI-2 2 DAC (basically pro version with just DAC&headphone amp), however I'm thinking of selling it and just buying this. I'm just using the ADI-2 DAC as my interface right now, then switching to my 100$ audient id4 to record vocals/guitars

Would I miss the sound quality of RME ADI-2 DAC/Headphone amp? Or will this basically sound the same?
The UCX II announcement came out while I was awaiting delivery on a UCX (I actually laughed out loud when I saw it in my inbox). So I asked US support (who have been amazing) about availability and they said there would be a few units this fall, but like everywhere else, there are supply chain issues, so if I needed something now, I should stick with the UCX. YMMV.

If the converters are worse than MOTU’s latest, well, congrats to MOTU because the UCX already sounds amazing. And I am liking the headphone amp.

Also, for the people complaining about line lumps: it does mean the unit can get more power and more stable power than via USB power. Especially useful for extra clean gain on mic pres. I actually tested the difference on my Babyface (original) and plugged into a power supply there was more clean gain than with USB power. It was plainly audible at higher gain settings.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
there should be no differences with babyface and external power supply. the power supply is there to use in stand alone mode only.
maybe you have some power issue with your usb ports on your computer or with your babyface. if you can share a recording of this it can be very interesting.
some other interface may be effected by external power supply, some even must have it for phantom power like the audient

i can understand the logic in using the new connection just to save the use of external power supply for a mobile interface. it worked nicely with the fireface 400 (that was bus powered) but if I'm not mistaken the ucx still needed a power supply when the firewire was used? maybe the dsp needs much more power...
my guess rme knows all that and made the most reasonable choice, but from my experience if you ask them don't expect detailed answer
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Power supply was not needed with firewire.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins ➡️
The truth is, all modern converter chips sound the same and the earth is flat.
One of those statements is correct.

Gear Maniac

How will this sound compared to the Babyface Pro FS or UFXII? The specs of the unit meet my needs but I didn't think the UCX was as good sound wise as the other units? ....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Surprises ➡️
How will this sound compared to the Babyface Pro FS or UFXII? The specs of the unit meet my needs but I didn't think the UCX was as good sound wise as the other units? ....
Not used any Babyfaces, merely noting the old industry saying that anything that needs to call itself 'Pro' probably isn't, but soundwise you're getting straight gain-on-a-wire from the inputs and solid digital/analog conversion.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark ➡️
Not used any Babyfaces, merely noting the old industry saying that anything that needs to call itself 'Pro' probably isn't, but soundwise you're getting straight gain-on-a-wire from the inputs and solid digital/analog conversion.
I was under the impression that the Babyface Pro is very pro sounding .... indistinguishable from the latest UFX series.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I'm a little baffled by the lack of avb considering RME has all those new wonderful avb converters and pre-amps. The 12mic is an amazing piece of kit. I was hoping to make a system with the 12mic as my floating pre-amp/stage box with the UCX II as my main interface/DAC/totalmix controller. Unless I am mistaken, the only way to do this with current gear would be to get a UFX+ and a 12mic (using MADI) or get a DigiFace AVB with a 12mic and some kind of avb DAC.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…