Quantcast
Introducing the New RME Fireface UCX II - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the New RME Fireface UCX II
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can't wrap my head around how one can release a modern interface in 2021 without USB C connectivity
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have the original UCX and use the Firewire port hooked up to a PCIE card on my PC as there is a notable performance increase over USB. A little disappointed by this model refresh, I really hope a new UFX incoroprates a TB3 or high speed Type C connection.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
RME FireThunder

Introducing the New RME Fireface UCX II-firethunder.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer ➡️
I wish they had replaced the FireWire port of the original UCX with a Thunderbolt 3 connection instead of just removing it without substitution. So with only USB 2.0 left, doesn't this make the new interface the successor to the UC rather than the UCX?
UC has no DSP
UCX has DSP

hence UCX II ...
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsErik ➡️
RME FireThunder

I'd buy that!!!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temps ➡️
UC has no DSP
UCX has DSP

hence UCX II ...
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Well, I don't need DSP. Just gimme a Thunderbolt 3 UC. ;-)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 ➡️
While TB3/TB4 have no inherent advantages compared to USB2 for latency and stability, these new ports could help RME get rid of the wall wart connection. It's mad annoying if I am going around from home studio to home studio and having to carry an additional charger/brick type of thing.
I do agree that a interface costing 1000 plus should not have a adaptor
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 ➡️
While TB3/TB4 have no inherent advantages compared to USB2 for latency and stability, these new ports could help RME get rid of the wall wart connection. It's mad annoying if I am going around from home studio to home studio and having to carry an additional charger/brick type of thing.
If that statement is true then I would agree TB driver is not needed. I was advised to think of TB as the equivalent of PCI-Express on a wire. Show me a scenario where USB is preferable to PCI-e latency and stability wise.

So if RME have magical driver writing capability which allows them to equal the lowest TB/PCI-e latencies over USB, fine but the choice of USB-Type A over Type-C connector in 2021 is not making any sense.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
RME FireThunder

It's very important to have digital i/o. Many speakers are going digital and I'm sure it will be even more in the future.

With this you will have an unnecessary da/ad conversion.
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
RME FireThunder

A Pro version with MADI and AVB too and im in. But I like the concept. A bit Apple design to strip down.
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was being ironic making it.
Oh, I assumed that it was a sarcasm. It's still a better design than the original.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace ➡️
A Pro version with MADI and AVB too and im in. But I like the concept. A bit Apple design to strip down.
Indeed, it's apple like to strip down so far that it's starting to create problems. Minimalism is cool but apple is constantly overdoing it. Sorry, couldn't resist , I just hate it not to have a simple headphone jack on my iphone and use adapters for everything. Especially because the iPhone cable DAC has a really bad quality compared to older outputs. Removing simple digital i/o just to make it look cleaner is the same.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace ➡️
Oh, I assumed that it was a sarcasm. It's still a better design than the original.
It's in the eye of the beholder I guess. :D
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The most noticeable missing feature to me is the Spidf I/O.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj ➡️
The most noticeable missing feature to me is the Spidf I/O.
You can either use the SPDIF coaxial or the ADAT ports. So it's basically the same as the UCX.
TJe
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro ➡️
If that statement is true then I would agree TB driver is not needed. I was advised to think of TB as the equivalent of PCI-Express on a wire. Show me a scenario where USB is preferable to PCI-e latency and stability wise.

So if RME have magical driver writing capability which allows them to equal the lowest TB/PCI-e latencies over USB, fine but the choice of USB-Type A over Type-C connector in 2021 is not making any sense.
I bet 20% of users have a USB C port on their computer.
The USB A makes total sense for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
TJe
Gear Addict

I would like 2 Adat I/O instead of 1.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RME USB
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge ➡️
According to this article, Thunderbolt „provides real PCI Express audio – performance under Mac and Windows with lowest latency, lowest system overhead and lowest CPU load“. I expect an audio interface for approx. 1300 EUR to deliver that, and not stick to a 21 year old standard. 2.0 was „good enough“ for many years, but it‘s about time to move on.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
According to this article, Thunderbolt „provides real PCI Express audio – performance under Mac and Windows with lowest latency, lowest system overhead and lowest CPU load“. I expect an audio interface for approx. 1300 EUR to deliver that, and not stick to a 21 year old standard. 2.0 was „good enough“ for many years, but it‘s about time to move on.
God article, but I’m not drawing the same conclusions at all.

Last edited by LarsErik; 2 weeks ago at 10:24 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You can either use the SPDIF coaxial or the ADAT ports. So it's basically the same as the UCX.
My bad, I missed that the Spidf/AES is using a breakout cable. I don’t like using optical because of the increased jitter.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
USB 2 is the most widely available format. It is found on many of the latest Mac’s and PC’s, as well as many older models, and is a tried and tested protocol. So, this means that you can use your RME audio interface on Mac and PC, and when you decide to upgrade your computer of choice, you will not be forced in to buying another audio interface. In fact, many RME users will tell you that they have owned their interface far longer than their computer and that RME’s commitment to supporting existing, as well as new users, means that firmware and drivers are continually upgraded, even after their products have been discontinued.

Another advantage of USB 2 is the versatility of the connection. Due to the backwards compatibility of USB 3, RME’s USB 2 devices continue to work efficiently and reliably when connected to a USB 3 port. So, even as more modern computers move towards USB 3 ports or even the USB C type, this will not be a problem for USB 2 devices, as a simple adapter can ensure that devices continue to be supported by newer hardware.

Along with this, there are a host of existing devices other than traditional laptops and computers that use USB 2, such as the iPad. RME were the first company to engineer Class Compliant mode on their audio interfaces, a connection that can turn a mobile device into a powerful multi-track recorder in its own right. This means that recording a live gig, a video for YouTube, that great sounding piano at your friend’s house, or re-recording a vocal anywhere and at anytime, is incredibly easy.

Source : https://www.rme-audio.de/rme-usb-technology.html
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotso ➡️
RME has proven time and time again that USB 2 works just fine with their interfaces.
I’ve run a 60 channel Fireface UFX for years with not one issue. Solid drivers and system wouldn’t think twice about getting another RME interface
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
what's wrong with using this cable and no adapter?
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing the New RME Fireface UCX II-cq5dam.web.1000.1000.jpg  
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan ➡️
No issues really. It works flawlessly for my MIDI keyboards that use USB-B to C.

Once again, I simply think the separate power supply situation could have been avoided with USB-C/TB protocol. Not disagreeing with USB2's stability or latency.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan ➡️
whats wrong with adding a USB C jack to their latest interfaces so I won't need an adapter cable but can use a plain USB C cable end to end.. doesn't need to be TB .. come on guys, it's 2021
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It is a marketing article. I think the intended conclusion should be that RME is best independent on what technology of your choice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Only 1 midi bus compared to the previous 2 midi bus ucx range
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is it just me who is disappointed about the converters? After more than a decade they just slightly updated the specs, like 2 dB. Huh? OK FS clock now, but thats about it?
Regarding the USB, the RME USB drivers are the best in the industry, they just work. If everything falls apart with whatever system i use, RME saves the day.

Last edited by Kappi; 2 weeks ago at 03:57 PM..
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappi ➡️
Is it just me who is disappointed about the converters? After more than a decade they just slidely updated the specs, like 2 dB. Huh? OK FS clock now, but thats about it?
Regarding the USB, the RME USB drivers are the best in the industry, they just work. If everything falls apart with whatever system i use, RME saves the day.
About 6 dB lower on input than the AVB Tool and that generation.
This product is not for be so it is hard for me to be disappointed.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…