Quantcast
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller - Page 39 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
I believe you just have to switch to send mode but my UC1/UF8 have not arrived yet.
Hi raal, thanks...looking forward to hear about your Experience soon
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise ➡️
Hi raal, thanks...looking forward to hear about your Experience soon
UC1/UF8 user and yes you can control your sends via one of the function keys at the top.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman ➡️
UC1/UF8 user and yes you can control your sends via one of the function keys at the top.
Ah I see now why you are using your console 1 as a rackmounted plugin control ! Very good makes good sense.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi freezerman, can you explain a little more ?
Are we talking about "in Channelmode" and controling the Sends 1-8 fliped to the Faders 1-8 ?

Thanks mate
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Here's my current setup with UC1, paired with a touch screen monitor on Mac Mini M1.

The touch capability really speeds me up selecting the channels (i'm on Pro Tools) on SSL 360 Software, just touch the channel name and the selected channel will sync on the UC1. I've been thinking about this setup long before the UC1 arrives in Indonesia, I bought a touchscreen monitor first just to trained my muscle memory and stay away from pro tools window, then the UC1 coming and everything's perfect for me
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller-pxl_20210716_022207150-2.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Are we talking about "in Channelmode" and controling the Sends 1-8 fliped to the Faders 1-8 ?

Thanks mate
Sure, just put at the mo but will write something up when I’m back 👍😊
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Difficult to find one of these right now in the US. Does anyone know, if one was to order from Europe and have it shipped to the US, can the unit run at either 220 or 110, and could the power cable into the PSU safely be switched out to a standard 110v IEC cable?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyc ➡️
Difficult to find one of these right now in the US. Does anyone know, if one was to order from Europe and have it shipped to the US, can the unit run at either 220 or 110, and could the power cable into the PSU safely be switched out to a standard 110v IEC cable?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-in-controller

Look at the pic that shows the cables.

Edit: well, at first, I thought the second from the top on the left was a US cable, but after having a second look it looks like an EU cable. Looks like these pics were made for European retailers. I would assume that the power supply is 110/220 switchable, but what do I know…
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler ➡️
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-in-controller

Look at the pic that shows the cables.

Edit: well, at first, I thought the second from the top on the left was a US cable, but after having a second look it looks like an EU cable. Looks like these pics were made for European retailers. I would assume that the power supply is 110/220 switchable, but what do I know…
Interesting, I hadn't even noticed that it had the EU cable in the pics. I think you're probably right about the PSU being switchable, but I don't have any experience with EU IEC cables, and I'm hoping maybe the female end is the same as a US cable, and therefore swappable. I'll write to SSL and see what they say.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Interesting, I hadn't even noticed that it had the EU cable in the pics. I think you're probably right about the PSU being switchable, but I don't have any experience with EU IEC cables, and I'm hoping maybe the female end is the same as a US cable, and therefore swappable. I'll write to SSL and see what they say.
My SSL UC1 PSU for use in UK

One end has the “kettle” lead insert
The other end is fixed in with a ferrite on and tip for insert into UC1
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller-e7faa528-d113-45e4-9ac0-d08c9014d3b2.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
My SSL UC1 PSU for use in UK
Thanks so much for posting that, GBP. Definitely a universal PSU. 👍
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks mate
I'm an idiot! Was on mobile and didn't see your earlier post related to Pro Tools. We're using the UC1/UF8 on our Nuendo rigs. I have ProTools so am just looking into it now to see what I can find.

Edit:

I'm no HUI expert but it seems you can only control sends 1-5 (A-E) I believe it's a HUI protocol limitation

"But there is one thing i do miss here. If i am in Pro Tools with my UF8 in Channelmode i am able to use the V-Pots 1-8 to control Sends A-H ...but i can't flip the Send-Controls down to the Fader 1-8. Is that a common thing with the HUI Protocol ?"

Flip works fine for sends 1-5 (A-E). I do like that the flip button flashes in HUI mode. Much better that the static MCU protocol. When you select the flip button is nothing happening for you?

Last edited by freezerman; 2 days ago at 05:23 PM..
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Does anyone else here think that the previous version of the bus compressor (v6.2) sounds way better than the new version?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMisterVee ➡️
Does anyone else here think that the previous version of the bus compressor (v6.2) sounds way better than the new version?
I don't. I think the new one sound a lot better actually.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caet ➡️
Thats surprising, i feel the previous one reacts so much nicer to transients. Comparing the two on drum bus, i’m not a fan of the later version at all.
Gutted that i can’t control the old one with the UC1!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thats surprising, i feel the previous one reacts so much nicer to transients. Comparing the two on drum bus, i’m not a fan of the later version at all.
That's surprising for me as well.
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO new one is a Class better. 4x oversampling and it Handels transients like a champ. I have a hard time to use anything else right now on my mixbus
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's surprising for me as well.
Maybe its just because i’m so used to the action of the older one. Will spend some more time with it!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Maybe its just because i’m so used to the action of the older one. Will spend some more time with it!
That could be the reason. Or you just prefer the old one. Not a bad plugin as far as I remember.

And make sure to use the new version oversampled to 4x. It handles transients better.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes it is nice with the OS but a little useless in nuendo when bypassing . Really needs to be sorted out, presumably with an update. Fine when not using the OS.
The only way around it is to use the mix knob to see the difference.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Flip works fine for sends 1-5 (A-E). I do like that the flip button flashes in HUI mode. Much better that the static MCU protocol. When you select the flip button is nothing happening for you?
Hi, no Problem I am very thankful for your help =)

And Yes, if I Push the Flip Button in --> Channelmode <-- nothing happens. In "normal" Mode it flashes..and I´ve got Track1/Send1 on Fader 1 and Track 2/Send 1 on Fader 2 and so on. But as mentioned I would like to control sends A-E of Track 1 only ....with Faders 1-5 in Channelmode.

I appreciate it very much if you've find a solution.

Cheers Buddy
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This One will come with the EU Package. But I think you should drop SSL a Line about that.

Cheers

https://gearspace.com/board/attachme...pie-turned.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller-img_5883-kopie-turned.jpg  

Last edited by BringTheNoise; 2 days ago at 12:55 AM..
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They do. Silky Highs (if you need them) , everything seems to be more "in Phase".....
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
They do. Silky Highs (if you need them) , everything seems to be more "in Phase".....
I agree that the channel strip 2 sounds better, looks better too with the updated GUI.
The bus compressor 2 on the other hand just doesn’t seem as effective, like you have to push it way harder to achieve similar results to the old version.
Where i notice it most is on the drum bus - if you set the attack to fastest on the old compressor it completely removes the transient. Try the same settings on the new one and you have that awkward clicky/poppy sound where it just doesn’t seem to react effectively enough - like the waves version and many other plugin comps.
Just my humble opinion anyway
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I agree that the channel strip 2 sounds better, looks better too with the updated GUI.
The bus compressor 2 on the other hand just doesn’t seem as effective, like you have to push it way harder to achieve similar results to the old version.
Where i notice it most is on the drum bus - if you set the attack to fastest on the old compressor it completely removes the transient. Try the same settings on the new one and you have that awkward clicky/poppy sound where it just doesn’t seem to react effectively enough - like the waves version and many other plugin comps.
Just my humble opinion anyway
Hi thanks for sharing i appreciate different perspectives.

Its funny because its exact that "Clicky" Sound you described I love to death. Try it parallel on Kicks/Snares my Friend.

i don't know if its just for me but I don't care about such things like "pushing" Signals more or less. If it sounds good for you its good... right? ..If not skip the Plugin.

Cheers
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi thanks for sharing i appreciate different perspectives.

Its funny because its exact that "Clicky" Sound you described I love to death. Try it parallel on Kicks/Snares my Friend.

i don't know if its just for me but I don't care about such things like "pushing" Signals more or less. If it sounds good for you its good... right? ..If not skip the Plugin.

Cheers
You’re absolutely right. I’m just a bit gutted that the UC1 hardware only works with the compressor that i’m not too keen on.
Would be amazing if they added a ‘legacy’ button to toggle between the new and old algorithms.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You’re absolutely right. I’m just a bit gutted that the UC1 hardware only works with the compressor that i’m not too keen on.
Would be amazing if they added a ‘legacy’ button to toggle between the new and old algorithms.
Understandable. Let's see what's coming in the Future from SSL. Maybe there will be a "Legacy" Option. Good Idea!
Gear Addict

Quote:
The way V2 handles transients is exactly what makes it more SSL for me. Punchy and snap, one may say.

That's something even hardware clones struggle to achieve when emulating the SSL Bus Compressor sound.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Switch off oversampling and you ll get the exact version 6.2 equivalent ...
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Switch off oversampling and you ll get the exact version 6.2 equivalent ...
If you still have both plugs installed you should compare them side by side, they are completely different in terms of action. Especially at the fast attack times and regardless of oversampling unfortunately
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…