Quantcast
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➡️
does the SSL Channel have some saturation/drive in the input/output stages or is it totally clean?
In general, everything is totally clean as far as I'm aware.

One step at a time, but I'd love SSL to make full on 4K/E versions, with the exact same layout, so that we can choose if we want the strip/bus comp to be cleaner, or more 'vintage'. It's a bit overdue!

Or perhaps simply a vintage button on the Bus Comp and channel strips? That way, you could 'gang'/group the control like with Slate VCC/TVM and it would be cool to be able to switch your entire console between 'modern' and 'vintage' and hear the difference...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➡️
does the SSL Channel have some saturation/drive in the input/output stages or is it totally clean?
Not that I could notice in the first half hour or so I played with it. I still use the SSL X Saturator and love it. I like that it's separate.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This looks beautiful but it really needs track follow. Softube's Console One has track follow with Cubase but not Logic yet and there is a huge difference in workflow between the two. In Logic you have to tell the C1 what channel you're working on whereas in Cubase you just select your track in the DAW and the C1 follows so you can just start tweaking without even thinking about it. It sounds small but it's makes all the difference between adding another step in your workflow or streamlining it -- and the whole point of these controllers is to streamline, not make you do extra clicks.

As soon as it's implemented here on UC1 I'm all in.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
Seems very well implemented and thankful for the free upgrade. Really happy to see oversampling in the bus comp finally!

I'm sure I'll pick one of the hardware controllers up, but I'll feel torn between the convenience and coolness of using the SSL bus comp plugin vs my real SSL bus comp!
Is there a difference in the quality of both ?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
No you don't. You can select the channel from the Plugin Mixer or by scrolling through channels on the left encoder.

Not just yet, but there are lots of ways that we can use the 360 software to join things up going forwards.
I really wonder how difficult it can be for a coder to route an MCU command -select track- thru the 360 app to the UC1 hardware?
To think these two pieces of undoubtedly great hardware don't work together is surprising, also given their shared form factor.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thats a shame it would be sick to group them then drive the 'mixer' in a session
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Sweet. Where’s the transport control surface to go along with this and the UF8?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A M Kelly ➡️
Is there a difference in the quality of both ?
Well yes, they do sound rather different, and the hardware sounds better to me in the majority of most cases, but I haven't tried V2 Bus Comp yet. Not sure if oversampling etc are the only changes, or if there are further 'improvements' to the algorithm.

It's rare that I don't switch the plugin out for the real thing and it doesn't sound 'better' to me, but sometimes the sound of the mix is based around the plugin and that's fine. I'll always a/b as you can't always just swap them out for each other - the song will sound different and I don't necessary want to have to remix/tweak everything.

I also sometimes use the plugin when mastering remotely (on my laptop) and nobody has ever complained!
Here for the gear

I just swapped out the bus comp for v2. My session which previously played back fine at a 64 buffer setting began to crackle. (Oversample off) The new version requires a bit more resources it seems. Switched to 128 and all is well with oversample set to 4x.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I did not find the SSL 360 installer at first, thought it would be included with the 2 native plugins which I found on another page.

Here are the installers for 360 and the channel strip / bus comp:

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/prod...dsandDocuments

Edit; I must say that the 360 mixer looks very nice. I use zoom on my smallish monitor and that works very good.
A nice way to set a mix up at the start.
Thanks SSL for this update.

Last edited by apartment dog; 3 weeks ago at 08:05 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any word on Studio One integration? I see that its compatible, but I'm curious if it has channel follow?

Also, any word on EU availability?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It is an incredibly good looking controller
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottu ➡️
Sweet. Where’s the transport control surface to go along with this and the UF8?
Space bar.

-jk
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So far, Bus Compressor 2 sounds much more transparent to me than the previous version but it's also giving me eye strain. The knobs are all smaller than the previous version's and there's no way to resize the GUI to compensate. It's harder to see at a glance what the Attack and Release times are set to because they also removed the little dots between the numbers and the knobs. I also wish SSL would completely ditch the 3D perspective on the knobs...and every other plugin manufacturer, for that matter.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The sound of this v2 comp is nearly identical to the hardware, almost indistinguishable. Hardware just a tiny bit sounds a bit more natural, slightly wide, but in a repeated loop no one can identify every time...

SSL has nailed the glue bus compression in the 2nd version, the best in the plugin domain.
No weird pumpy low end like UAD does.

However in the channel strip EQ v2, SSL did not model the non-linear characteristics of the hardware. There are no harmonics in the EQ moves while @ Steven Slate being the only company that has modelled them too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Seems to be a "softube console" done better. But it would also require the software to be better. Is it?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Whats the difference with Softube’s Console 1?
The integration with Studio One is superb.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
At the moment it only works with SSL's own plugins, however we are interested to see where the future may take us. There's a lot we can do with 360...
Superb Release @ [email protected] , superb !!

At least please provide suppport for Your own stuff :

UAD SSL (legacy and last)
Waves SSL
East West
Console 1

you could even make the community contribute , we can make it fast !!

IF we select a track in UF8 does it fallow in the Channel controller (option to lock or fallow ?) ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Guyz where to download V2 ? Do we have to migrate to the new website ? if so how ?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Guyz where to download V2 ? Do we have to migrate to the new website ? if so how ?
You can download the version 2 installers directly from SSL's website.
Gear Addict

Quote:
(...) However, we have a few license partners who make SSL channel strips that may possibly line up well with a UC1 and I have a sweepstake running at work about who's going to mail and ask us first...
Would be nuts if this worked with the PA/Brainworx consoles! I really hope the person betting on Dirk Ulrich wins the sweepstake
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonch ➡️
You can download the version 2 installers directly from SSL's website.
You rock homie !!

Since the plugin mixer works withing 360 , i suppose this feature is only availlable for HW owner or can we use it as native owners ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Dammn took me 1 min to hear the SSL buss comp is actually better than old one ..... gui is smaller (knobs mainly) to keep it compact , a way to put gui at 120 % or some in zoom would be great
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller-ssl-comp.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
You rock homie !!

Since the plugin mixer works withing 360 , i suppose this feature is only availlable for HW owner or can we use it as native owners ?
Just download the SSL 360 software. SSL 360 works natively.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/prod...dsandDocuments
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has the sound of the SSL Strip and Buss Comp been updated as well in Ver 2??
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP2020 ➡️
Yes, they both are updated.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering ➡️
Yes, they both are updated.
Great, Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Anyone using 360 for post or sound design?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP2020 ➡️
Editing as i type a video about the Buss comp , it's damm better i mean not even subtile !!!! did an A/B with old one and UAD just for fun , A killa !!!!
Stay tuned , expect stuff in 1 h30 or less
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm gonna need this in my life.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…