Quantcast
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller - Page 27 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller
Old 16 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler ➡️
Nah, that’s not how this works, there is no “allocation” of cost. You pay for the controller and the plugins are included (of course, with the $x “value” marketing tag). If you already have the plugins you can sell them, though.
It would be great if that IS how it worked though wouldn't it? [wistfully looks off into the distance]. For me, it costs just about twice as much as it should, given its narrow use case. It's so awesome but just too limited for the price. At least, in my opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkKn1ght ➡️
It would be great if that IS how it worked though wouldn't it? [wistfully looks off into the distance]. For me, it costs just about twice as much as it should, given its narrow use case. It's so awesome but just too limited for the price. At least, in my opinion.
Respect your opinion brother, only you can decide what to value to you and your workflow. All I can say is for me, I just placed an order for one at Sweetwater. I see the time savings alone to be worth the price of the controller. But that’s just me, everybody’s workflow is different.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
Wow, I guess I won't be getting these plugs.
I felt the same way, but then I look at the controller, and that makes all that go away. I just have to figure out how to incorporate it into my existing D command.
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns ➡️
Respect your opinion brother, only you can decide what to value to you and your workflow. All I can say is for me, I just placed an order for one at Sweetwater. I see the time savings alone to be worth the price of the controller. But that’s just me, everybody’s workflow is different.
Well I'm perfectly capable of caving and getting one eventually. Haha. We'll see. They've mentioned that with the 360 software etc, functionality will expand in the future. So let's see how it develops. In the meantime, enjoy it when it arrives!
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I felt the same way, but then I look at the controller, and that makes all that go away. I just have to figure out how to incorporate it into my existing D command.
You could custom map It to the rotary encoders but YUCK!

I want it to work in that DYN / EQ section. Maybe because it’s legacy so they don’t feel the need to care for it also.
Old 14 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timehalt ➡️
I will say that my UC1's encoders aren't very consistent in resistance. Some have a nice resistance but most don't really. But I don't know if they're getting less resistant over time or if they just came that way..
well that would put me off purchasing right there. will be watching for other reports on this issue for a bit before I spend the money.
Here for the gear

Quote:
I run a D-Control and have used / controlled the "legacy" SSL plugs for years with it (SSL plugs are my main plugins). It worked great but even with the D-Control's dedicated controller section for Eq & Compression, I still used the mouse with those plugins. With this controller (UC1) I do not touch the mouse at all now, when I'm carving sounds. It's just quicker and more intuitively (Less looking at computer screen and more head down listening, while you dial the knobs in). Having worked on SSL consoles all my life, the UC1 paired with the D-Control gives me the same feel and workflow I get when working on a 9000k. I'm also running 32 channels of SSL summing via a Sigma and with the new v2 plugins it also sounds just like a 9000. The Sigma is so unreal in terms of sound but that's for another post.

Side note if anyone is curious and their DAW of choice is Pro Tools. The D-Control works perfectly with the latest version of ProTools. I'm running the latest PT Ultimate on a Mac (Catalina 10.5.7) and it controls everything the new Avid S6's do except one thing...the folder tracks. To collapse or expand the folder tracks you have to use a mouse, no problem. Everything else works perfectly and these controllers are amazing and can be gotten for a steal and are super easy to maintain. The things that "wear out" on these consoles are the power supplies which there are 3rd party companies that specialize in getting you a new/rebuilt one. You just have to install it yourself which is a pretty simple procedure that I think most "audio/gear types" will easily be able to do.
The UC1, D-Control and SSL Sigma combo is an amazing thing on all levels. If your livelihood is sound/music production and you need the authentic SSL sound, console workflow and speed, then this is your solution without spending 6 figures
Hope this helps someone thinking of a legacy controller like the D-Control. They still work, look and feel better than any of the new Pro Tools controller offerings out there today.

Daniel Scott
www.secondsaftermusic.com
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley ➡️
well that would put me off purchasing right there. will be watching for other reports on this issue for a bit before I spend the money.
To clarify, none of them feel flimsy. Just not consistent. I can see how that's a big deal to some people though, especially considering the price point.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondsafter ➡️
Having worked on SSL consoles all my life, the UC1 paired with the D-Control gives me the same feel and workflow I get when working on a 9000k. I'm also running 32 channels of SSL summing via a Sigma and with the new v2 plugins it also sounds just like a 9000. The Sigma is so unreal in terms of sound but that's for another post.
Sold my D.Control but have the Sigma which i agree, sounds killer. Looking forward to UC1/UF8. Hoping the Eucon functions can be accessed via Avid Control on an Ipad? Please post a pic!

Last edited by raal; 12 hours ago at 06:55 AM..
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondsafter ➡️
I run a D-Control and have used / controlled the "legacy" SSL plugs for years with it (SSL plugs are my main plugins). It worked great but even with the D-Control's dedicated controller section for Eq & Compression, I still used the mouse with those plugins. With this controller (UC1) I do not touch the mouse at all now, when I'm carving sounds. It's just quicker and more intuitively (Less looking at computer screen and more head down listening, while you dial the knobs in). Having worked on SSL consoles all my life, the UC1 paired with the D-Control gives me the same feel and workflow I get when working on a 9000k. I'm also running 32 channels of SSL summing via a Sigma and with the new v2 plugins it also sounds just like a 9000. The Sigma is so unreal in terms of sound but that's for another post.

Side note if anyone is curious and their DAW of choice is Pro Tools. The D-Control works perfectly with the latest version of ProTools. I'm running the latest PT Ultimate on a Mac (Catalina 10.5.7) and it controls everything the new Avid S6's do except one thing...the folder tracks. To collapse or expand the folder tracks you have to use a mouse, no problem. Everything else works perfectly and these controllers are amazing and can be gotten for a steal and are super easy to maintain. The things that "wear out" on these consoles are the power supplies which there are 3rd party companies that specialize in getting you a new/rebuilt one. You just have to install it yourself which is a pretty simple procedure that I think most "audio/gear types" will easily be able to do.
The UC1, D-Control and SSL Sigma combo is an amazing thing on all levels. If your livelihood is sound/music production and you need the authentic SSL sound, console workflow and speed, then this is your solution without spending 6 figures
Hope this helps someone thinking of a legacy controller like the D-Control. They still work, look and feel better than any of the new Pro Tools controller offerings out there today.

Daniel Scott
I downloaded the demo version of the channel strip as well as the bus compressor, pulled up a song I’ve already been working on, took all the plug-ins off of it and then replaced with the SSL channel strip across all tracks, and then of course the bus compressor on my master. So I redid the whole mix with just the SSL plug-ins, just to see the impact of that one plug-in, I was blown away. It is light years better than the waves version. I know that doesn’t surprise anybody, but I was surprised it was that much different. I also have a 24 channel D command, and now I’ve got to figure out where I’m gonna place the UCI when it arrives.

I’m curious where do you place yours?
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley ➡️
Just checked, but the encoders feel just fine and consistent on mine.
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I get that it's new and there's a temptation for shiny things SSL, but a controller for two plugins, to add to a dcommand? I will wait for the next sale on the plugins and stay put controlling all my current plugins.

I will admit, I too have been tempted. The controller with a monitor and keyboard would make a great looking center section for my old blue dcommand 24.

I'll wait and see what the used market is. It's not like I need one.

I can see everyone with an SSL sigma buying one.
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I second that. The D-command is such a fantastic plugin controller, no need for an extra controller, just to control two plugins. I don't quite get the enthusiasm yet. If one should like the SSL Native better, then just map the parameters to the right encoders - or is there a particular problem with the SSL plugin's?

I also think it's a little silly to conclude that this is something new and much better plugin than the Waves SSL. It's two completely different versions of the SSL channelstrip. It's all fine, but really just a matter of taste. They have both been around for a decade now.

And lastly, I'm still a bit sceptical about the idea that the UF8 should be a better alternative to the S1 or old ICON controllers. They are so much better integreted with Pro Tools than the UF8. Perhaps it's because I still haven't understood the full potentiale in the UF8/UC1/360 system?

I'm hoping to learn some more from the fine people here, when they get real hands on experience with this system. I'm about to upgrade one of my mixing rooms. Could be the UF8, UC1 and AVID control App, if it works together? Or S1's with UC1 and control app. Exiting times, isn't it

Last edited by lydfar; 1 hour ago at 06:12 PM..
Old 52 minutes ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar ➡️
I second that. The D-command is such a fantastic plugin controller, no need for an extra controller, just to control two plugins. I don't quite get the enthusiasm yet. If one should like the SSL Native better, then just map the parameters to the right encoders - or is there a particular problem with the SSL plugin's?

I also think it's a little silly to conclude that this is something new and much better plugin than the Waves SSL. It's two completely different versions of the SSL channelstrip. It's all fine, but really just a matter of taste. They have both been around for a decade now.

And lastly, I'm still a bit sceptical about the idea that the UF8 should be a better alternative to the S1 or old ICON controllers. They are so much better integreted with Pro Tools than the UF8. Perhaps it's because I still haven't understood the full potentiale in the UF8/UC1/360 system?

I'm hoping to learn some more from the fine people here, when they get real hands on experience with this system. I'm about to upgrade one of my mixing rooms. Could be the UF8, UC1 and AVID control App, if it works together? Or S1's with UC1 and control app. Exiting times, isn't it
UC1 is good if you want to jump into the mindset workflow of working on a digital SSL console. Otherwise it makes no sense. Like you said, a controller for 2 plugins With that said, it's a fantastic idea again if you go the SSL concept. SSL has been releasing some truly excellent gear and software lately. It simply comes down to user needs.
Old 39 minutes ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I downloaded the demo version of the channel strip as well as the bus compressor, pulled up a song I’ve already been working on, took all the plug-ins off of it and then replaced with the SSL channel strip across all tracks, and then of course the bus compressor on my master. So I redid the whole mix with just the SSL plug-ins, just to see the impact of that one plug-in, I was blown away. It is light years better than the waves version. I know that doesn’t surprise anybody, but I was surprised it was that much different. I also have a 24 channel D command, and now I’ve got to figure out where I’m gonna place the UCI when it arrives.

I’m curious where do you place yours?
Hello Barry, your ears are NOT deceiving you. The new v2 channel strip & Bus comp are "spot on" pertaining to the sound and workflow of real eq and comps on a 9000k console. You've got the mixing edge now! ;-)
As you and many are experiencing, the "game changing" moment here with the UC1 is not to control everything one owns in their "digital world & plugin folder" but instead, provide a true, large format console, mixing workflow and sound.

I have the UC1 on a "script tray" on top of the EQ & Dynamics section of the D-Control.

Daniel Scott
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…