Quantcast
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller - Page 26 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic Expand DAW Production Tools with UC1 Channel Strip and Bus Compressor Controller
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg ➡️
Trying to find the bus v2 on their homepage to buy that only, but cant seem to find it. Only the previous version.
How do i find it?
I think you have to buy the bus and channel strip bundle.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Trying to find the bus v2 on their homepage to buy that only, but cant seem to find it. Only the previous version.
How do i find it?
License is the same for all versions and installers are readily downloadable.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➡️
The biggest thing to consider is gain staging. Anything post mix bus capture will be effected. The same thing goes for hardware inserts on the mixer channels as well.
Totally. I’m just trying to figure out how this would work with a hybrid setup.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➡️
License is the same for all versions and installers are readily downloadable.
Alright, so purchasing the former version, gets me the new then.
Thank you for reply..
:D
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pizza Dude ➡️
Are you able to use the Avid control app with pro tools?
So far no. My iPad is ancient so I'm attempting to run Avid control off my iPhone but my DAW is on the LAN but I am running EuControl.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Buss ➡️
So far no. My iPad is ancient so I'm attempting to run Avid control off my iPhone but my DAW is on the LAN but I am running EuControl.
Updated EuCon and now Avid Control is listed in EuControl surfaces. Avid Control is still grayed out but making progress.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do i find it?
When u buy v1 u get automatically v2.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➡️
To your first point / question, the Pads have absolutely no visceral effect on how the monitors sound, providing one's monitors are either at a standard studio height, or high enough as to where you're not close enough for their to be an issue. For instance having a set of speakers directly sitting on ones desk and behind the S1 with Pads.

I think your point about pivoting one's workflow to using the SSL plugins in a console like fashion is where the rubber meets the road. Speaking for myself, I have more plugins than I would ever possibly need. But I get projects from other studios and home studios where I need to be able to put up their mixes verbatim. And very often I mix starting off where my client has their mix, and then elevate what needs elevating. I don't think I would start swapping out, for instance, Pro Q3 Eq for the SSL channel strip unless I felt the pro q treatment was in the wrong direction. But I will own the SSL CS2 and Bus Comp2 because I know many are going to be using them. Baring the reversed low and hi cut filters, I actually like the new versions. It's also possible that I might get the UC1 and integrate it with my 2 S1's, and use the Dock for my other plugins. I don't know?? I worked on SSL consoles for years, and I loved the idea of there being this sort of console like workflow. But, I feel like the ferry has left the dock so to speak in terms of workflow. Put it this way, if SSL adds a dynamic eq option to the channel strip like the with the pro q3, at that point all bets are off, the wallet is opening big time. I don't know...I gotta see where this is all going. I think these devices are all amazing in their own ways. And my Moto has been, own them all and have the best of both worlds.
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.. or remix it!

The UC1 would probably complement the Avid’s and vise versa. I still don’t know about the S1’s on a console style desk though, I should have been more specific. I think if you have the monitors on top of the bridge area on the desk, the tablets might interfere a little. I suppose one doesn’t have to even use the tablets with the S1?

I really like the idea of a control surface that can be rack mounted though, like the UF8. If the S1 had the form factor and rack mount option like the UF8, I’d be all over that, maybe.

The thought of a console style desk with lets say 3 bays loaded with these things, UC1, and some sort of center section? Add choice outboard in the spaces above the controllers? Sleek, practical and very expensive!

As far as the filters go, I think the top plate with the silkscreen of the UC1 can be swapped out fairly easily. Very good design. If that is the case, the encoders could probably be remapped. Having said that, I am getting used to them, or getting used to grabbing the wrong thing.
Lives for gear

Yes, It's all a personal setup flow kinda thing. Honestly, I'm probably going to buy the new versions of the plugins, and I might as well spend a few hundred more bucks and get the controller. If I find myself not using it, I'm sure I'll be able to find a buyer. The SSL fader buckets rack mounted is an interesting concept.

With my setup, the avid faders work very well in terms of ergonomics, dock as well. Basically I have a 3 station setup. Me in the middle, to my right I have a desk with two speakers at head hight and a monitor in the middle. The 2 S1's on the desktop, below is a midi controller that pulls out, and just below that is Maschine MK3 that also pulls out. The Dock is on a stand that's on casters that can float around within about 10 feet in any direction. In the center is a Raven dual monitor thingy with mains, near fields, and a mono reference. As well as a rack with a few optical compressors underneath the Raven. To the left is my 2 analog racks with a set of speakers over there as well so I don't have to turn my head if I don't want to when going to town on the gear. I also have Avid Carbon at arms reach in the nearest rack. They're low profile racks on casters as well. I also have a digital patchbay, which has been a game changer. No more spiderweb of cables. This studio by far has been the most creative and fun to work in. And my clients have been loving it as well. The UC1 could fit in between my faders....the gear lust never ends.
Lives for gear

Finally got around to seeing if my d-command would play nice…….

Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Word of advice - watch out for the sharp edges. Sliced my finger open today when reaching for something.

On another note, I had mentioned several pages back that the bus compressor VU stopped working. Out of the blue, it started working again. I'll probably exchange for another one because I don't want to always worry about it.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Silly question; but does anyone know the specs of the screws that are used to hold the feet on the UC1/UF8? My UC1 did not have any screws in the box. They are pretty tiny hex head screws and nothing else I have lying around seems to fit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If anyone wants to sell me the EQ and Buss Comp plugins at a price that approaches the often mentioned sale price plus the iLok transfer fee, then please hit me up!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Found this video on workflow when using UF8 and UC1 with different plugins simultaneously. I assumed only one plugin could be focused at a time. I was wrong. Will be interesting to see how this works when UF8 follows 360. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9HXiJ5eKE
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just received my UC1 yesterday. Build quality is nice and it looks great nestled between two Avid S1s. That said, it won't connect to the 360 app but tech support has been responsive (that was a nice surprise).

Looking forward to taking it for a drive...
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan ➡️
Just received my UC1 yesterday. Build quality is nice and it looks great nestled between two Avid S1s. That said, it won't connect to the 360 app but tech support has been responsive (that was a nice surprise).

Looking forward to taking it for a drive...
Pics please! Haven't been able to find any with S1 + UC1.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

If/when any 360 updates happen, anyone know how those updates get announced? Does it show up in the 360 app? Email to registered users?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Pics please! Haven't been able to find any with S1 + UC1.
I hope this helps!

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Do we have any confirmation / literature on the updated plugins?
From what I can see, all that has been updated is
1. bus com has oversampling and new GUI
2. Channel strip has de cramped HF eq and new GUI

I have seen people saying they sound radically different, but is there any confirmation from anyone at SSL that more has been done?

I think the hardware looks absolutely amazing, but I would have thought that for a release like this they might do an overhaul on the old Duende code and maybe give us the option to switch modeules (E, G, J) from the hardware.
Also have no idea why they left saturation out....seems crucial in 2021.

It does look amazing though, this is the first time I have seen a controller like this and wanted it badly. I just feel like I have much better options in the software realm.
Now, if they do indeed open it up to Brainworx etc.....im 100% in.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan ➡️
I hope this helps!

Thank you @ smallstonefan . Hope you get your UC1 up and running soon!

Last edited by raal; 4 days ago at 01:38 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Someone, please help me here with my UF8.

I can't, for the life of me, understand WHY I must press the AUTO button in order to switch a tracks automation mode in Protools.
There are 6 buttons. Off, Read, Write, Trim, Latch, and Touch, but they do NOTHING unless I press the AUTO button. Why SSL? Why? Someone please tell me this is a user error on my end because if not it's a deal-breaker for me unfortunately and I REALLY want to LOVE this board! I got this thing specifically for automation and that should be the UF8's primary focus IMO!
The 6 buttons just sit there lifeless and nonresponsive unless I reach over and press this darned AUTO button.
Then I have to press the NORM button to get back to where I can actually write automation!?
I should just be able to simply select a track - then press whatever automation mode I want and get back to work! I was about to purchase the SSL channel strip controller. But if the same person designed that then there's no way I can invest in it. Again, I hope someone corrects me and tells me I'm doing something wrong here. I'd rather feel stupid than feel like I wasted 1200 dollars.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Has anyone asked SSL about getting a discount on the UC1 if they've already purchased the plug-ins? Seems like half the cost of the UC1 is allocated to the plug-ins. So anyone who didn't already have the plug-ins is getting a better deal than someone who does and wants to buy the UC1.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkKn1ght ➡️
Has anyone asked SSL about getting a discount on the UC1 if they've already purchased the plug-ins? Seems like half the cost of the UC1 is allocated to the plug-ins. So anyone who didn't already have the plug-ins is getting a better deal than someone who does and wants to buy the UC1.
I know - as someone who doesn't have the plugins if it gets track follow it really makes it tempting.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So below is my setup and tonight I was able to get the UC1 to work.

The first thing I want to say is this is the most fun I've ever had mixing!

The ability to turn multiple knobs at once and do sweeps and quick tests is exhilarating! For someone without golden ears it makes it so much easier to find the sound that I am looking for.

It's also fast. With the proper plugin active you just go right to the knobs to get the sound you hear in your head. Not having the paradigm of the mouse in the way of the process is freeing.

As mentioned before, the high and low pass knobs don't work the way you think they should work and I look forward to a patch. As it is, I have to keep twisting them to be reminded of how they work.

Also, with a small number of channels the channel knob is adequate but we are going to need track follow in Pro Tools when putting this on a few dozen tracks.

The pair of S1s with the SSL and a tablet running Avid's control app is a dream. I have the control app showing my VCA groups with VCA spill turned On. It's easy, for example, to press the Guitars channel on the control app to spill the guitars to the S1s and then start mixing. When I can select a channel by touch or button on the S1 and the SSL matches it that will be a thing of beauty.

Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGS ➡️
If/when any 360 updates happen, anyone know how those updates get announced? Does it show up in the 360 app? Email to registered users?
Home page of the 360 app, big green button.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkKn1ght ➡️
Nah, that’s not how this works, there is no “allocation” of cost. You pay for the controller and the plugins are included (of course, with the $x “value” marketing tag). If you already have the plugins you can sell them, though.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Has anyone run into any issues with the quality of the encoders on the UC1?

I've had mine for less than a week now and many of the encoders are already showing significantly less resistance than others.
Have I just been unlucky? Or is this going to be a recurrent issue with the product?

I'm inclined to suggest the former, since the build quality is otherwise fantastic.
It'd be a huge disappointment if I were wrong, everything else about the UC1 has been nothing short of perfection.
For SSL to cut corners on arguably the most important aspect of the device seems odd.
I'd be willing to spend twice as much on the same controller with encoders that I could trust would withstand the test of time.

Any thoughts?
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryin ➡️
Has anyone run into any issues with the quality of the encoders on the UC1?

I've had mine for less than a week now and many of the encoders are already showing significantly less resistance than others.
Have I just been unlucky? Or is this going to be a recurrent issue with the product?

I'm inclined to suggest the former, since the build quality is otherwise fantastic.
It'd be a huge disappointment if I were wrong, everything else about the UC1 has been nothing short of perfection.
For SSL to cut corners on arguably the most important aspect of the device seems odd.
I'd be willing to spend twice as much on the same controller with encoders that I could trust would withstand the test of time.

Any thoughts?
I will say that my UC1's encoders aren't very consistent in resistance. Some have a nice resistance but most don't really. But I don't know if they're getting less resistant over time or if they just came that way..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ ➡️
Well I guess that’s good to know, I just downloaded the trial version of SSL plug-ins, I was planning on putting it through its paces over the weekend, I like you have a D command, it looks like I won’t be controlling the plug-in from that controller.

That is weird though, was that the same way in the previous version of SSL’s channel strip?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ ➡️
Wow, I guess I won't be getting these plugs.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…