Quantcast
Universal Audio Announces API Vision Console Emulation, UAD Software v9.14 and LUNA v1.1.8 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Announces API Vision Console Emulation, UAD Software v9.14 and LUNA v1.1.8
Old 11th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is very expensive, you have to ask yourself is it really going to improve your mix or make your music making easier or better.

$699 for 5 plugins and a fancy GUI is a lot.
Old 11th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Trace ➡️
It's a totally new emulation. With more non-linearities (the good stuff) and the modeled output (like the Neves and SSLs) plus new EQ setup that gives you two separate options. The legacy version was I think 7 or 8 years old.
Where did UA say it's a totally new emulation?
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➡️
Where did UA say it's a totally new emulation?
There are features added, but it's not new other than the 560L.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio ➡️
Thanks for your transparency. Also, thanks for the new DBX160 - the new additions will be incredibly useful!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Trace ➡️
It's a totally new emulation. With more non-linearities (the good stuff) and the modeled output (like the Neves and SSLs) plus new EQ setup that gives you two separate options. The legacy version was I think 7 or 8 years old.
That's false.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What is the difference between the original 560 and the 560L?
Thanx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
What is the difference between the original 560 and the 560L?
Thanx

According to the release notes 1 sample of latency has been reduced:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...-Release-Notes

@ Universal Audio

Can you confirm that the majority of this update is the graphical integration of the API bundle into Luna and there is minimal if any refactoring the of the algorithms that process the audio?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethem ➡️

@ Universal Audio

Can you confirm that the majority of this update is the graphical integration of the API bundle into Luna and there is minimal if any refactoring the of the algorithms that process the audio?

This
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caet ➡️
That's false.
My mistake. Deleted the message.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas ➡️
Yeah, that price surprised me as well.
Guys just want to point out that UAD has always charged this amount for the updates that include new component/remodelling. Yes, its still the same API Strip but it now has added features such as the 560L which to me is worth the price as I dont own the 560. But to clarify, this shouldn't come as a surprise as all older UAD updates/upgrades carried the same price tag - Pultec, LA-2A collection, 1176, SSL etc.

You dont have to buy into it and you can wait for vouchers and sales to get these upgrades for half of that price. UAD has always been expensive, thats part of their thing you have to accept and work around.

And btw the 160 has been updated for free, fantastic update now with larger gui and mix knob and sidechain all very welcome updates, its not all bad.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanelysane ➡️
Guys just want to point out that UAD has always charged this amount for the updates that include new component/remodelling. Yes, its still the same API Strip but it now has added features such as the 560L which to me is worth the price as I dont own the 560. But to clarify, this shouldn't come as a surprise as all older UAD updates/upgrades carried the same price tag - Pultec, LA-2A collection, 1176, SSL etc.

You dont have to buy into it and you can wait for vouchers and sales to get these upgrades for half of that price. UAD has always been expensive, thats part of their thing you have to accept and work around.

And btw the 160 has been updated for free, fantastic update now with larger gui and mix knob and sidechain all very welcome updates, its not all bad.
The other updates you mentioned were all completely re-done with multiple new versions in some cases. For those that have all the Api plugins, it doesn't seem worth the upgrade to gain access to the 560 within the channelstrip and little else.

However, if you're using Luna, there's much to be gained by having access to the Api models within the mixer.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I see it differently. In this update you mostly get the old functionality in different forms (separate plugins/channel strip). Redundant high-pass filters, gain knobs and output clipping aren't worth the price. The updates you're referring to included completely new models.

FWIW I think the free update to dbx 160 is much more useful than the update to the API plugins.
Old 11th May 2021
Gear Maniac

Well I think you are both right that the upgrade isn't worth it for you, so problem solved just dont upgrade
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavilon ➡️
If I understand that correct you don't need any dsp of your uad chipsets, they are fully native. That's worth every penny!
There are two API bundles. You're talking about the API Vision Console Emulation Bundle for Luna. My post was about the API Complete Plug-In Bundle.
Old 11th May 2021
Gear Nut

no one is interested in C-Suite C-Vox? I'm curious how it compares to RX?
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethem ➡️

@ Universal Audio

Correct. Features added and integration with LUNA.

However, there is some new modeling as noted in the manual:
Modeled channel output fader
Modeled output buffer amp clipping

Last edited by Universal Audio; 12th May 2021 at 06:58 AM..
Old 11th May 2021
So I would need to pay £115 for the channel update when I already own the legacy Vision and the EQ.

Errr, no.

p.s. I still love you UA.
Old 11th May 2021
Gear Nut

still not a single post on sound, comparisons or new plugins ....
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilal.robin ➡️
no one is interested in C-Suite C-Vox? I'm curious how it compares to NX?
Yes am very curious about this one, what I imagine and how it actually flows may be two very different things, time will reveal. Should be able to report back tomorrow when I have some time.
Old 12th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes am very curious about this one, what I imagine and how it actually flows may be two very different things, time will reveal. Should be able to report back tomorrow when I have some time.
thank you ! this is isotope RX of course ;-) sorry for the fault. I'm busy trying it out and it's just first impressions: I find it works fine if it doesn't go over 50% after I hear some deterioration in sound but the same can be said of Rx. Otherwise I don't think that tonight is similar because it's much simpler and there are a lot less possible treatments, it must be interesting to use both in different contexts but in my case I'm on an arrow and I should have sacrificed too many dsp ... so i will skip my turn. otherwise in my case the API preamp is great because it uses very little dsp (7%) and I find it sounds great .
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
NOW I'll do my comparison video between my API Box and the UAD stuff, lol. Looks like a great update, I'm wondering if the new single 212 Preamp is included if you own the Vision strip? I'm guessing no, which is a little frustrating. I'm sure it's a lot easier on the DSP than using the whole Vision strip just for a preamp.
Please please do this for us. You will be first one to do this.

Take your time, please make it very precise, caliberated one.
and also provide raw wave files to let us hear in detail inside DAW too.

Thanks alot !!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Congrats for the new release but...
1) I have the Api Vision
2) I have the Api eq collection(which includes the 560)
3) I don't have an Apollo and I cannot use Luna.

So, 149euros to upgrade is not a fair price in my opinion.

Lately I feel like, after 20 years using the uad platform, UA pushes me away.
Old 12th May 2021
Gear Maniac

@ Universal Audio

Interesting to see how these analog non linear based emulations handle Intermodular Distortions and aliasing ?

Concept, GUI wise everything is cool, but how about the real sound and artefacts when it comes to digital signal processing ?

1)Can anyone share 2 sine inputs say 7 and 10 kHz nd check for foldback IMD harmonic levels ?

2)Also did UAD improved any circuitry modelling and better algorithms in this new strip ?

3) In chipset UAD oversamples every circuitary, etc at 192 kHz, filters frequencies above 30 kHz etc to remove aliasing and other related issues, irrespective of project sample rate.

How does this Luna model works ? Is there no internal oversampling when native 'CPU is used while mixing & mastering?

4) If this strip utilises Native CPU and not DSP, can I purchase and use it without any Apollo hardware inside any DAW like any plugin?
Gear Nut

Quote:
I made a little more scientific observations :-) as it is night and the traffic is calm I turned on my microwave oven which is very noisy in the next room, when it is set to 50% I have a decrease of 10 decibels !!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
Wait. I own the API Vision Channel already. I have to pay $150 more for the update? That's a first. Bummer...
I guess many of us who own all the previous API stuff ...will pass on this one
Lives for gear
I saw the email today and went to the page and read:

NEW IN THIS VERSION
API® Preamp with Unison technology
Updated API® Vision Channel Strip Collection
C-Suite C-Vox™ Noise & Ambience Reduction
Updated dbx® 160 Compressor/Limiter
Retina graphics for select UAD plug-ins on Mac

I guess its my bad but I assumed the API vision strip and DBX 160 were just "updated". Doesn't read like a MK2, new and improved.

Does look cool, but hoping for a significant July sale to even consider it.
Old 12th May 2021
Lives for gear

So the Luna extension is using native cpu or is it using DSP ?

I like that Luna is taking a page from Harrison mixbus but those extensions are EXPENSIVE!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ ➡️
So the Luna extension is using native cpu or is it using DSP ?

I like that Luna is taking a page from Harrison mixbus but those extensions are EXPENSIVE!!!!!
DSP for tracking then automatically switches over to native when mixing.
Old 12th May 2021
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It’s cool. I liked the vision strip and glad someone finally put the console visually on a channel. I’ve wanted that in pro tools for ages. Just get support for a mixing controller (ideally eucon , cause that’s what I use and know, but don’t expect to happen) and I’ll immediately switch from pro tools
Old 12th May 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Damn was about to buy the dbx last sale but to tiny , i was like wait until they update it : one week later , tada !!!! :(

Glad for the preamp , can anybody tell me the dsp usage for the preamp , it's 49 $ if you own the strip !!! if only we could use it in C1

Universal audio , could you tell us what's going on on the C1 side and integration , is it abandonned ?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…