Quantcast
sonible announces smart:EQ 3 - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sonible announces smart:EQ 3
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
So, after a few weeks with smart:eq 3: First... the Plugin is great! Yes... more profiles are missing and are hopefully coming SOON! ;-) A tilt/slope feature in the front end would be great, as well as longer profiling times, for some sequences or drum tracks it´s simply too short (at least for me), it was a bunch longer in smart:eq 2, perfect profiling time i would like to say..
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious ➡️
So, after a few weeks with smart:eq 3: First... the Plugin is great! Yes... more profiles are missing and are hopefully coming SOON! ;-) A tilt/slope feature in the front end would be great, as well as longer profiling times, for some sequences or drum tracks it´s simply too short (at least for me), it was a bunch longer in smart:eq 2, perfect profiling time i would like to say..
+1 for longer profiling times and more profiles!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oper ➡️
+1 for longer profiling times and more profiles!
Or the option of a longer profiling time.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
+1
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
any easy solution for the profiling time would be a "record/stop button"
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How about a profile community ??
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
AFAIK you can just press the green circle several times after recording and the curve "cumulates".
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack ➡️
Hey Sonio,

just copying here what i sent to support one month ago..

My right click mouse button has a special keystroke assignation, so I use the "right click" standard Mac alternative which is "control + Left click mouse button".
Unfortunately, that combination does not - in smaEQ3 - allow me to have access to those different types of filters ( low cut, shelves etc.. )
Do you think that alternative could be added in a future update ?

Support very kindly replied me they "will forward the request to the development team"

Hopeful you got the request as i'm stuck with bells only for now..

PS: Right clicking the Box below (alternative keystroke e.g.) doesn't work as well fwiw

Thank you

MacOS 10.12.6 - Logic Pro 10.4.4
Thanks for sharing this. I think we have a similar issue as I have a keystroke assigned to my right click on my trackball mouse. I was finally able to gain access to the different filter types when I ditched my trackball mouse for the Apple magic mouse with the setting turned on in the attached screenshot.

@ sonio - +1 for @ jsblack 's request to add 'ctrl + left click' to access the eq filter types.
Attached Thumbnails
sonible announces smart:EQ 3-screen-shot-2021-06-11-1.40.34-pm.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm looking this more and more as I use it. I love version 2 but the dynamic feature keeping me coming back to 3.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

I have my main production machine off the internet 100% of the time, and this plugin makes it basically near impossible to enjoy the smooth setup I had before Sonible. It forces you to keep your network plugged in, prompting every other one of my plugins to try and call home constantly , causing regular 20sec to 1minute color wheels every time I try to open the GUI interfaces on other session plugins. This has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever experienced, and I am basically on the verge of asking for a refund is this normal behaviour moving forward. What a s***ty system.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler ➡️
I have my main production machine off the internet 100% of the time, and this plugin makes it basically near impossible to enjoy the smooth setup I had before Sonible. It forces you to keep your network plugged in, prompting every other one of my plugins to try and call home constantly , causing regular 20sec to 1minute color wheels every time I try to open the GUI interfaces on other session plugins. This has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever experienced, and I am basically on the verge of asking for a refund is this normal behaviour moving forward. What a s***ty system.
I just experienced a network outage and was surprised to see the plugin complaining. I spend 50% of my time with wifi turned off.

I also live in a steel and concrete structure and wifi dropping is something I just deal with without it bothering me too much, but its never affected making music before.

This is quite disappointing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➡️
This is a nice update. Latency seems to be better reported on Logic now, so it’s more usable.

How is it able to differentiate between different types of kick/Bass and apply its EQ filter correctly?

In electronic work, I work in two distinct ways:

Thin, tight kick with big sub bass.
Fat, subby kick and thin bass.

Is it able to analyse the intent of the sounds by their duration and sub content and then provide an educated guess as to which kick or bass camp they belong in?

Also, for those using it on the master, is there a master profile I’m missing, or are you using the universal setting?
OK, it seems to just not inherently understand the sounds intent, but rather it seems to match it against models of instruments in 'traditional' roles.

Case in point: 808 kick

If I set it to the kick setting and analyse, it sucks the low end out and concentrates it higher where a traditional rock kick fundamental would be - around 100hz.

If I set it to bass setting however, it retains the low end and sucks it out at around 100hz.

I then set my bass instrument to kick and it seems to now work itself out.

Maybe a naming convention needs to change? Low and high bass? Something about sub?

It also completely destroys a clean 808 snare and sucks out the fundamental resonant 'body' of the snare, which thins it out too much. I know I can limit the area it applies its EQ to, but I'm a bit disappointed that it's not as 'smart' as I first thought and seems to force instruments into predetermined (and surprisingly quite traditional/limited) models of what it thinks they should be. Maybe this is more for rocky rockers rocking in 1950?

But, I still like it for cleaning up the high end and balancing mid sounds. It has potential, but maybe there should be more than potential seeing as it's now at version 3?

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler ➡️
What a s***ty system.
They're developing a new one as we write here
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Sonible makes good products but my impression is that Smart 3 was a bad release. Wasn't it the other day that version 2 was released? Why the rush? People are complaining about all kind of things but the crucial one for me is the inability to recall sessions using version 2. The greatest advantage of software is recall. How on Earth can a developer ignore the most important thing about audio software? I barely use any EQ and compression plugins these days but if I won't be able to recall them, I better stop using plugins all together
Here for the gear

Quote:
OK, it seems to just not inherently understand the sounds intent, but rather it seems to match it against models of instruments in 'traditional' roles.

If I set it to the kick setting and analyse, it sucks the low end out and concentrates it higher where a traditional rock kick fundamental would be - around 100hz.

If I set it to bass setting however, it retains the low end and sucks it out at around 100hz.

Maybe a naming convention needs to change? Low and high bass? Something about sub?

It also completely destroys a clean 808 snare and sucks out the fundamental resonant 'body' of the snare, which thins it out too much. I know I can limit the area it applies its EQ to, but I'm a bit disappointed that it's not as 'smart' as I first thought and seems to force instruments into predetermined (and surprisingly quite traditional/limited) models of what it thinks they should be. Maybe this is more for rocky rockers rocking in 1950?

But, I still like it for cleaning up the high end and balancing mid sounds. It has potential, but maybe there should be more than potential seeing as it's now at version 3?

I thought about the same because now v3 push my subby berghain kicks into rock area. And in general it's suggestions seems more miss than hit. So I decided to hold purchase and back to v2.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

I agree that when it comes to drums the AI is missing the mark by attempting to retune the fundamental with EQ. A smarter Smart EQ3 would 'hear' that as the fundamental and not as resonance, which it seems to do now. Right now, with drums I tend to agree with the AI in the 1k and up range. But I add in a high shelf around 10k to keep it from getting overly dull. The low end I turn on the analyzer and 're-focus' the EQ in split band mode. Often times simply inverting the suggested curve fits from 80~300hz!

The day I can't wait for is when the technology adapts to my taste. Machine learning the user's preference rather than 'group think' norms. That day is coming. EQ3 is just another step forward.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:

This is why more profiles and genre based profiles need to be added. Not everyone is mixing Rock
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Do like I do and keep version 2 still installed and on the buss/channel you put 3 on and just bypass it. 3 is good but 2 is still great.

Last edited by trevon; 1 day ago at 07:30 PM..
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty ➡️
This is why more profiles and genre based profiles need to be added. Not everyone is mixing Rock
Absolutely, profiles for acoustic music (classical etc.) would be most welcome.
::
Mads
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is there a clean deal path for SmartEQ 3 owners to get SmartEQ 2 ?
I keep my main machine offline and can't stand that red Alert anymore

Thanks
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️
Absolutely, profiles for acoustic music (classical etc.) would be most welcome.
::
Mads
Yes - please profiles for acoustics and classical music
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I would love to know what the universal profile 'likes'? Apparently it disagrees +/- 3~6db with every major hit song I've fed it so far. Especially in the 8~12k region.
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA ➡️
I would love to know what the universal profile 'likes'? Apparently it disagrees +/- 3~6db with every major hit song I've fed it so far. Especially in the 8~12k region.
I imagine it's less 'what is ideal' as compared to 'hey, that one frequency range of your hi hat is pretty dominant so we're going to suggest cutting that so that it doesn't mask the stuff above it'.

But in reality, that's probably not needed since we want to differentiate between a hat, a ride, and a crash texturally and tonally. If it 'fixes' that, it tends to sound more like broadband noise.

On simpler material, ie single instruments, I think the universal setting does some nice things, but on a full mix I start to feel a little odd about its choices.

EDIT: I guess I like looking at what SmartEQ thinks about carving up the spectrum on a full mix, but I still prefer doing most of that, if not all, myself manually. Definitely an interesting perspective to use as a reference though.

Last edited by justifiednoise; 23 hours ago at 09:07 PM.. Reason: EDIT: One more thought
Old 15 hours ago
Raising Jake Studios

🎧 5 years
I've been working with this plugin for a bit after buying it and am now having trouble understanding what is "smart" about it. It appears to be just another spectrum matching plugin that builds an EQ curve for the source material based on a selected preset EQ curve ("Profile"). Where does "AI" come into this?

The multichannel feature is nice - and perhaps the best feature - but other EQ plugins like FabFilter Pro Q3, Izotope Neutron, etc., can also create complimentary EQ, matching, etc., across multiple tracks and have been around awhile.

Not sure what I'm missing here.
Old 9 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear ➡️
I've been working with this plugin for a bit after buying it and am now having trouble understanding what is "smart" about it. It appears to be just another spectrum matching plugin that builds an EQ curve for the source material based on a selected preset EQ curve ("Profile"). Where does "AI" come into this?

The multichannel feature is nice - and perhaps the best feature - but other EQ plugins like FabFilter Pro Q3, Izotope Neutron, etc., can also create complimentary EQ, matching, etc., across multiple tracks and have been around awhile.

Not sure what I'm missing here.
Most if not all of the 'AI' plugins use the AI tech in the training of the algorithm(s). Probably with neural networks, I dunno. So from that perspective it would be more correct to say 'developed with AI technology' or whatever.

That said, smartEQ3 offers new exciting perspectives, I think. If you think future developments: short term more profiles, and enhances functionality like smoothing etc.; mid- to longterm: adaptive curves using pitch detection (similar to surfEQ), expanded grouping options, etc... the plugin works great for me and I like they direction in which they moved between v2 and v3, so I'm confident!
Old 47 minutes ago
Lives for gear

@ sonio As a user of Balancer I think Smart EQ3 could benefit greatly with the simple choices of Warm, Neutral, Bright included in Balancer.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…