Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cool!
i'm going to give this a spin tonight.
love my DDMF 6144 btw.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Very old plugin, now by DDMF... Seems like he started to reincarnate developers' old plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
This is still today one of my favorite plugins to add dimension and life to any channel that needs it. Been using the Phi-L for several years. Glad to see DDMF are putting it out there and supporting it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is awesome!! I love this plugin and it's really cool to have it Mac M1 native now.

This is such a secret weapon. Very deep and dimensional saturation plugin.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The original version sounded great, but felt very buggy. I was afraid of using it, I seem to recall that it almost blew my speaker (and ears!) once.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
This is awesome!! I love this plugin and it's really cool to have it Mac M1 native now.

This is such a secret weapon. Very deep and dimensional saturation plugin.
Care to share some presets ?

The original Phil-L, whilst awesome, was (and is) daunting to delve into...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLov3r ➡️
Care to share some presets ?

The original Phil-L, whilst awesome, was (and is) daunting to delve into...
I just tweak the knobs until I like the sound! I don't know at all what I'm doing though..

Also, I like feeding the plugin with very low input levels.. like -30dBFS peaks or even less. Then boost them back after the plugin. This combined with some of the controls to "thin out" the sound can be really nice sort of lo-fi but controlled thing. Hard to explain.

EDIT: Added a "preset" (.png image) to the post. This one is sort of what I was describing above. This one "thins out" the sound, removing a lot of subs and bass and feeling a bit like a compressor. I love this on a lot of various individual instruments.
Attached Thumbnails
DDMF Tube Preamp (FREE)-screenshot-2021-05-04-22.53.14.png  
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just tweak the knobs until I like the sound! I don't know at all what I'm doing though..
Yea... aren't we all

Quote:
Hard to explain.
This whole plugin is hard to explain.... feel like electricity exam

Quote:
EDIT: Added a "preset" (.png image) to the post. This one is sort of what I was describing above. This one "thins out" the sound, removing a lot of subs and bass and feeling a bit like a compressor. I love this on a lot of various individual instruments.
Thanks !

BTW, VST2 preset saving is not working..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Even if I started this thread, I must admit that this is WAY too tweaky for me haha!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This plugin goes to 11... microfarads.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsieq ➡️
I'm getting a loud pop at instantiation and the start of playback in Logic 10.4.8/High Sierra. If someone had their monitors up loud enough it could be damaging. Fortunately it doesn't end up in the offline bounce. Liking the sound of it, but this is unusable for me in the current version
Same here, tried it with Logic.

I must say, it is quite unprofessional, releasing a plugin in this condition, even as a freebie. Not a good look.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsieq ➡️
I'm getting a loud pop at instantiation and the start of playback in Logic 10.4.8/High Sierra. If someone had their monitors up loud enough it could be damaging. Fortunately it doesn't end up in the offline bounce. Liking the sound of it, but this is unusable for me in the current version

update: AU also pops in Reaper but the VST does not. Interestingly in the VST there is a large jump in the VU meter of the plug at playback start that's not audible in the monitoring.
This aligns with my experiences with the original release, so maybe no bugfixing was done yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtHanson ➡️
The original version sounded great, but felt very buggy. I was afraid of using it, I seem to recall that it almost blew my speaker (and ears!) once.
Gear Addict

The preset saving has work for a while and stopped working, again...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

EDIT
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this plugin is a wild one
i bit too wild for me.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Late to the party but I must say that this is amazing.

I'm always looking to turn digital sources into more analog sounding ones.

Digital forces you to take more time in order to do what you want compared to the analog realm ; sort of like deep neural network now days are looking at Analog computation alternatives in order to minimize the limitations of digital ( faster ways of doing deep neural network calculations; using analog computers)).

This plugin is also a lot of fun for a person like me who's getting into mathematics after living for half a century.

I'm getting immediate pleasing results on a baseline that I wanted more "analog" sounding and after playing with this for 30 seconds I felt compelled to comment......

Old 5 days ago
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I agree, for the few moments I tried it it did sound promising.

However, thunderous bangs from my subwoofer every time I turn the plugin on or off..? No thanks.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

would really love to get that pop at startup fixed. Obnoxious and potentially damaging if not careful. Such a shame because this thing sounds incredible on a kick drum.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
I think further updates should bring:
- Oversampling option up to 8x or even way higher.
- Fix that loud "pop" bug.
- Preset manager and some presets as starting points.
- Proper manual/guide pdf, "Getting Started" window instructions opening in plugin instances when open GUI; names of parameters on GUI and tooltips on GUI (what does this knob/parameter do, which harmonics, "lower amounts do such thing" and "higher amounts do these things", as in fabfilter plugins). Knowing such circuit is difficult for a newbie/amateur/musician/producer/engineer/mixer/modern ITB computer-based music guys, but might be easy for electrician/technician only. So, guides, details would be helpful here.
- Resizeable GUI.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for presets. I’m not usually a big fan of presets, but I’m also not an electrical engineer. I don’t know what I don’t know. I’m sure this plugin has plenty of promise that I will likely never find on my own by mucking about. Please give me a guide to where the sweet spots are.
Old 4 days ago
ukm
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Component values are not saved with Studio One presets here.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux ➡️
I think further updates should bring:
- Oversampling option up to 8x or even way higher.
- Fix that loud "pop" bug.
- Preset manager and some presets as starting points.
- Proper manual/guide pdf, "Getting Started" window instructions opening in plugin instances when open GUI; names of parameters on GUI and tooltips on GUI (what does this knob/parameter do, which harmonics, "lower amounts do such thing" and "higher amounts do these things", as in fabfilter plugins). Knowing such circuit is difficult for a newbie/amateur/musician/producer/engineer/mixer/modern ITB computer-based music guys, but might be easy for electrician/technician only. So, guides, details would be helpful here.
- Resizeable GUI.
- Is it both VST2/VST3? Haven't checked yet.
First and foremost : fix the saving of presets (it is re-occurring every time).

I Don't mind the absence of vst3 for now.

Oversampling... why are people SO obsessed with OS ? just operate at higher SR's. IMO it just sound better than OS x8 or x16 or xSOME_HIGH_VALUE. have 200 tracks ? bounce.

Resizable GUI is not a must IMO (on the contrary). maybe make a x2 version. but that's about it.

Presets are of no use if one doesn't know what every parameter does (and we just DONT).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I downloaded this and gave it a whirl in PT11 - I like it a lot.

Only had a quick play with it but, given there's only one control (apart from volume), are presets really necessary?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper ➡️
I downloaded this and gave it a whirl in PT11 - I like it a lot.

Only had a quick play with it but, given there's only one control (apart from volume), are presets really necessary?
There are 13 controls that go pretty deep into tone shaping.

https://ddmf.eu/phi-L-Audio-Tube-Preamp/
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, OK, I didnt realise that - it's a unique GUI design, tweaking components in a schematic.

Hopefully bmanic might share some more of his presets
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs ➡️
this plugin is a wild one
i bit too wild for me.
Yeah, years ago I mess around with this, but it was just a little to funky for me. Then I started using this

not quite free, and not quite as 'funky', but it done it's job at the time. Then it just fell away and I haven't used it for years, haven't felt the need or desire, haven't missed it, so . . .
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

It can sound good, but at the moment too buggy for me. I rather use Voxengo TubeAmp in the meantime, one of the most underrated plugins of all time.
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtHanson ➡️
Still has that bug. I immediately unloaded it after it hurt my wifes head.
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
...will this remain "as is," or will there be further development?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…