Quantcast
dSONIQ updates Realphones to 1.7 with Easy Mode - set up your headphone studio in just a few clicks - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dSONIQ updates Realphones to 1.7 with Easy Mode - set up your headphone studio in just a few clicks
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones ➑️
Hello fam, just want to add my first impressions with the demo.

Recently my AKG K701 died and I wanted to try a new brand as my experience with AKG is that they die really soon (happened with both Austria and China made). Also, I knew I wanted dynamic instead of planar due to a more natural timbre, recently tried Audeze LCD-2 and I was really disappointed (very good detail and hammer-like sub punch but bad stereo image and almost non-existent soundstage and deepness ).

So due to a very good offer, I went with the Sennheiser HD660s. My opinion about them after having tried the HD650 a few days ago (and worked with them a few years ago) is that 660s have a similar sound but more detailed (they have a superior driver) and with a bit more upfront sound, but equally lacking in the sub low end area, although the transient response is REALLY good. IMO, talking about frequency correction they only need that extra sub punch and a bit more highs to remove the "Sennheiser veil".

I went using DSONIQ first in EASY Mode. #DamnSon this sounds really good, using only the headphone correction, just adding a 25-30% the high end is fixed but still needs the extra sub punch. Next step -> Dried Big Fat Bottom in the room options and tweaking it everything is now fixed. Still not a banging sub low end machine as a high end planar, but IMO a really good mixing tool.

After trying the other options I must say that this is the first time I can say I feel the speaker and environment emulations. Rooms sound like a real room (I guess a good headphone like this adds to the game) and even in the FULL Mode with all the options everything es very understandable, even for someone who could have no experience with all the HRTF and all those extra things which are not usually taken into account for a mix engineer (I'm also an audio freak and I'm used to tweaking crossfeed and other mystical things hehehe ).

With the possibility to have 3 corrections and activating them in up to 4 different devices ... take my money NOW .

ps: A little note as an audio freak ... would love to see an Android/iOS version.
ps2: these are the settings I'm using
@ heraldo_jones , thank you for sharing your impressions! Our opinion on the comparison of Sennheiser HD660s vs 650 is similar.

HD 650 and 660s have smooth response and for some people they can work well with low Correction values, like 30%. However, you apply some extra Brigtness, which corresponds well with their softer undercorrected response.

We agree that Audeze headphones have great sub lo end response. Our experience with Audeze LCD-1 confirms the same excellent sub lo experience with these smaller and quite affordable planar headphones as with bigger higher-end models.

We are glad you are happy with Realphones. It is really hard work and now we are working to bring better and more varied experience in our future releases!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dSONIQ ➑️
However, you apply some extra Brigtness, which corresponds well with their softer undercorrected response.
The reason for adding a touch of brightness is because when I added the room big bass then I lost some of the highs added by the correction. Really stunning product, can't wait to see what the future could bring
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It is a hard choice, both are great but very different. If you got used to Focal Spirit Pro, the small size of LCD-1 and big pressure of 1990 won't be an issue for you.

In general LCD-1 sounds more smooth, transparent, neutral and with higher amount of low-level detail in comparison to 1990. They are very lightweight. You can use them all day long without any ear fatigue. But they sound unfamiliar compared to regular headphones and monitors, and this can be confusing the first time you use them. Alo their soundstage is not as deep and wide as in many other bigger size headphones. I would describe the sound of LCD-1 as frigid: many sound ideas you will have to compose in your head, without hearing the cues from the headphones.

1990 are more forward, rocking, dynamic, vivid and musical. The expressive colouration of the sound serves a useful role in making decisions on mixing. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 have a wider and deeper soundstage and better build quality.

I suppose, if you don’t sell your Focal Listen Pro, then LCD-1 will give you more new information and complement them well because they show details that are usually lost in dynamic headphones. As a single pair 1990 may work better, giving you a more predictable sound.
Great info here!
I will try these days to check them out and decide which one to get.
Thank you again!
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The reason for adding a touch of brightness is because when I added the room big bass then I lost some of the highs added by the correction. Really stunning product, can't wait to see what the future could bring
Any room adds hi-frequency roloff. Sennheiser HD 650 and Sennheiser HD 660s emulate this in their frequency response, that's why they are beloved. So yes, you may need to add some brightness if you want to use with 30% of correction and room simulation.
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorudess ➑️
Great info here!
I will try these days to check them out and decide which one to get.
Thank you again!
Please share your impressions on the comparison between these 2 models, it will be interesting to compare your impressions and ours.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there any preset that emulates a nightclub?
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Toms ➑️
Is there any preset that emulates a nightclub?
We plan to add a dedicated club room in the next major release.
Right now in the Easy Mode you can use:
Low Resolution -> Roomy
Mix Elements -> Groove
Spectrum -> Sub
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Low Resolution -> Roomy
Mix Elements -> Groove
Spectrum -> Sub
Great, thanks!!! I love the easy mode update and that you guys are listening to your customers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Been using this set-up for techno mixing the last couple of days.

Mixing Basics - Optimized Correction - Standard Width - Dried

Low end is translating quite nicely. Needs some noodling on fresh ears but the timeframe to get here has definitely been shortened and the experience is more enjoyable.

https://soundcloud.com/monarch_techn.../s-rmqUYWpZYlX
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Any plans of adding a zero-latency mode to the Realphones vst, like Sonarworks has, so that it can be used for tracking?
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️

Low end is translating quite nicely. Needs some noodling on fresh ears but the timeframe to get here has definitely been shortened and the experience is more enjoyable.

Could you tell which headphones did you use?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have a slight problem that is not caused by RealPhones but perhaps someone can suggest a solution.

I'm deafer in one ear in all mid frequencies above 2K.
In my DAW I monitor through a stereo graphic equaliser last thing in the chain so it doesn't interfere with any other processing. I can re-centre those frequencies that way.

System wide I have tried running all versions inside Pedalboard2 but it won't let me use any menus. That's a pity because I can use the graphic equaliser in there. Perhaps there is a better solution?

Win10 64
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Could you tell which headphones did you use?
HD650
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Low Resolution -> Roomy
Mix Elements -> Groove
Spectrum -> Sub
Nice, also thanks for the system-wide update (mac m1 big sur), it works flawlessly!
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambaji ➑️
Any plans of adding a zero-latency mode to the Realphones vst, like Sonarworks has, so that it can be used for tracking?
We have plans to reduce latency. This may happen in the next major release.

We plan Zero-latency mode, but it needs more time.
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➑️
I have a slight problem that is not caused by RealPhones but perhaps someone can suggest a solution.

I'm deafer in one ear in all mid frequencies above 2K.
In my DAW I monitor through a stereo graphic equaliser last thing in the chain so it doesn't interfere with any other processing. I can re-centre those frequencies that way.

System wide I have tried running all versions inside Pedalboard2 but it won't let me use any menus. That's a pity because I can use the graphic equaliser in there. Perhaps there is a better solution?

Win10 64
You can try Virtual Audio Cable (there's free Lite edition)
https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/

and VSTHost

https://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
Gear Addict

Quote:
You can try Virtual Audio Cable (there's free Lite edition)
https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/

and VSTHost

https://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
Working great in win 10 64 with "VB Audio Virtual Cable" (which I already had so tried out) and VST Host. Thanks for the link.
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Thank you for the feedback! We are glad your headphpone mixes are translating well, especially in lo end.

This preset is intended for cases when users do not need many reflections.

Sennheiser HD650 are the most popular headphones among our users.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for ypur feedback! We are glad your headphpone mixes are translating well, especially in lo end.

This preset is intended for cases when users do not need many reflections.

Sennheiser HD650 are the most popular headphones among our users.
I swap back and forth between dried and normal, depending on the task.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I swap back and forth between dried and normal, depending on the task.
Yes, switching between different sounds is one of the most important features of Realphones.

We recommend setting one the most neutral main sound and several coloured monitoring envinronments and switch sometimes between them. This helps to bring better translation and switch the tired brain from bored with with the same sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, switching between different sounds is one of the most important features of Realphones.

We recommend setting one the most neutral main sound and several coloured monitoring envinronments and switch sometimes between them. This helps to bring better translation and switch the tired brain from bored with with the same sound.
I have a few snapshots set-up in easy mode that I'm flicking between.

One thing that I can't seem to do is get a snapshot from advanced mode, into easy mode.

I have a mono cube in easy mode, I want to dry it up so i switch to advanced mode and get the sound I want. But then when I switch back to easy mode, changes I've made are forgotten.

Is there a way to save a snapshot in advanced mode and then move it over to easy mode?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I wasn't a fan of mixing on headphones. In fact, I never did it in all my years doing this for a living but times change and we have to adapt so I grabbed a pair of HD280 Pro I had in my studio as spare, took them home, downloaded and tried all softwares for headphone correction I could and I decided for Realphones at the end. It gave me that feel of mixing on my studio room: I felt a sense of depth, the stereo image was nice and things sounded right there in front of me... not like when I'm mixing on my monitors but it was better than just using the headphones without the software. I mixed lots of singles and 3 albums at home since January when I started this "headphone journey" with those HD280 Pro and every single song translated perfectly (maybe my experience also helped a bit with that). Now I have a pair of HD650 (I've had them for 3 days) and the "upgrade" feel is tremendous: depth is WAY better, stereo image is spot on, transients are now there on par with my monitors and clarity is actually better than my own room which is fantastic! I haven't mixed anything for 3 days because I'm burning them in first and getting used to this new feel but I can't wait to mix a few songs I have in the pipeline.
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have a few snapshots set-up in easy mode that I'm flicking between.

One thing that I can't seem to do is get a snapshot from advanced mode, into easy mode.

I have a mono cube in easy mode, I want to dry it up so i switch to advanced mode and get the sound I want. But then when I switch back to easy mode, changes I've made are forgotten.

Is there a way to save a snapshot in advanced mode and then move it over to easy mode?
Right now there is no way to transfer modified sound from Advanced mode to Easy mode for the user. This option is possible in the future, but its implementsion needs some conteptual and technical problems to be solved.

We are not sure we can implement this next release, but we have plans to work it out in some future time.

Last edited by dSONIQ; 5 days ago at 04:38 PM..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➑️
I wasn't a fan of mixing on headphones. In fact, I never did it in all my years doing this for a living but times change and we have to adapt so I grabbed a pair of HD280 Pro I had in my studio as spare, took them home, downloaded and tried all softwares for headphone correction I could and I decided for Realphones at the end. It gave me that feel of mixing on my studio room: I felt a sense of depth, the stereo image was nice and things sounded right there in front of me... not like when I'm mixing on my monitors but it was better than just using the headphones without the software. I mixed lots of singles and 3 albums at home since January when I started this "headphone journey" with those HD280 Pro and every single song translated perfectly (maybe my experience also helped a bit with that). Now I have a pair of HD650 (I've had them for 3 days) and the "upgrade" feel is tremendous: depth is WAY better, stereo image is spot on, transients are now there on par with my monitors and clarity is actually better than my own room which is fantastic! I haven't mixed anything for 3 days because I'm burning them in first and getting used to this new feel but I can't wait to mix a few songs I have in the pipeline.
@ Mercado_Negro , Realphones experience depends much on the depends on the class of headphones.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro have a good sub-bass response but mediocre resolution. Also, the variety in their frequency response from piece to piece is higher than typical.

Sennheiser HD650 have higher resolution, better spatial properties, more linear frequency response before correction, higher repeatability of their frequency response and better comfort.

All of this together should definitely help you improve the quality of your headphone mixes in combination with Realphones after getting used to it. We wish you happy mixing!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Trying out RME ADI-2 DAC FS, coming from Babyface Pro FS, it really opens up the Realphones experience and soundstage is more 3D. There is more frequency content and detail especially in high freqs and separation is very wide. Sounds almost excatly same to high end monitor system with a sub. Interesting. Using DT1990 as headphones.
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech ➑️
Trying out RME ADI-2 DAC FS, coming from Babyface Pro FS, it really opens up the Realphones experience and soundstage is more 3D. There is more frequency content and detail especially in high freqs and separation is very wide. Sounds almost excatly same to high end monitor system with a sub. Interesting. Using DT1990 as headphones.
That's great! We have similar feedback from our Beyerdynamic DT 1990 user who has upgraded to RME ADI-2 DAC FS, but I didn't expect such difference with RME Babyface Pro FS, which is in our current working setup.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's great! We have similar feedback from our Beyerdynamic DT 1990 user who has upgraded to RME ADI-2 DAC FS, but I didn't expect such difference with RME Babyface Pro FS, which is in our current working setup.
Looking at measurements, there should be a hearable improvement:

BabyFace Pro FS

ADI-2 FS
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
dSONIQ

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Looking at measurements, there should be a hearable improvement:

BabyFace Pro FS

ADI-2 FS
Yes, the measurements of ADi-2 FS are significantly better. Headphone amp does matter too.

The higher resolution of DAC-AMP-Headphone, the better result of virtualisation.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…