Acustica intros Snow: contemporary British-style suite for the modern producer - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica intros Snow: contemporary British-style suite for the modern producer
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #91
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Reel ➡️
Done.
Thank you!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #92
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️
The Beatles used TWO 4 track machines as soon as it was available and they would have used more if they could.

How do we know?

Because after the Beatles broke up, none of them stayed with only 4 tracks, thinking that was good enough.

They all went 24 track like everyone else.

Less is more only if more is redundant.
Although we live in a time that loves to look back, everyone, including the greats, were always forward-thinking. There's a reason all-things digital became a thing for a time. It's in-vogue to love tape and old gear, but we are always naturally looking ahead. If they were around in today's world, The Beatles would be using Pro Tools, plugins, and all the things that some turn their nose up.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #93
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
i9-9900kf, 32gb (4x8gb) 3200mhz

It is not a spaceship, it is a simple CPU today. The 11th gen i7s perform like this i9.

118pink over Reaper on W10 at 44khz and 1024 buffer.

If you do not use Reaper, I insist on the need for people to try using audiogridder in local mode, it is very simple and free, and audiogridder handles almost as many plugins as Reaper can handle.
Denork: Sorry but what is using audiogridder in local mode? I thought the thing about audiogridder was using an extra processor? Can I use it natively on my usual computer?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #94
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3datj ➡️
Denork: Sorry but what is using audiogridder in local mode? I thought the thing about audiogridder was using an extra processor? Can I use it natively on my usual computer?
You can use it on a single computer or more than one. It works both ways. You can use Audio gridder on a single computer and take over the CPU load of your plugins. It spreads it more effectively than your DAW wich is handy if your DAW is lowsy with CPU management.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #95
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Anyone else notice the GR meter on the comp seems to be way off?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #96
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2mix.com ➡️
Times and technology have changed my friend. The Beatles used 4 tracks for a very short period of their career, they generally always maxed out whatever technology was available to them at the time. Best believe if they were a new group today they would be using many tracks.

I don't tell producers how to do their job, I just mix what's in front of me!! (although I do curse loudly to myself when I have to try and make 5 basses and 6 kick drums work at once)
Good thing I charge by the track. Like a Big Mac. I ask my clients, "Would you like fries with that? If so, those are extra too. McDonald's doesn't give freebies!"


Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod ➡️
Times and technology has literally changed in every sense though.
I've been confirmed that in an AMD CPU (not even one of the more expensive ones) they are running 180 Honey3 at 44 kHz. Maybe with a more up-to-date one you could get close to 400 instances.
Literally the computers of a few years ago seem very slow compared to the current ones.
In native mode on an Apple M1 we have opened 75 Gain Station. This type of processor is considered by many to be a toy (for technical specifications and amount of RAM) compared to those that are being programmed for release.

That's good to know. My next computer will be an AMD since Intel dragged their feet for so long on giving us real processor upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Reel ➡️
I think the Master Buss compressor with a 2:1 ratio just maybe the best compressor Acustica has released. It is butter smooth, brings vocals right to the front and really glues things together. Everything also seems larger and real...My other most used buss compressors are, L-Bus v2, Cream, Erin and sometimes Ultramarine.
This is good to know, thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel C Media ➡️
Although we live in a time that loves to look back, everyone, including the greats, were always forward-thinking. There's a reason all-things digital became a thing for a time. It's in-vogue to love tape and old gear, but we are always naturally looking ahead. If they were around in today's world, The Beatles would be using Pro Tools, plugins, and all the things that some turn their nose up.
I don't think an act like The Beatles could exist today thanks to piracy. The lifespan of pop acts are sooo condensed compared to yesteryear.
Old 1 week ago
  #97
Gear Addict
 
Rocket88's Avatar
Once you add all the mixdowns of the mixdowns, it was a lot more than four tracks. For "Tomorrow Never Knows" they had tape machines all over the studio with actual tape loops, using a pencil or whatever, that George martin was mixing down, playing the desk like an instrument. One of the advantages that Giles Marin has with the new mixes, is that he can use all the source tracks in the same daw session instead of having to deal with the degradation of copies being copied and so on.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #98
Gear Addict
 
Tried the snow EQ on a master I was doing today - where I would usually have used a combination of maybe Erin and Slick Eq - Snow really was a pleasure to work with, really clear and smooth, bit of life added with the saturation.

Really liked it...sound was just there really quickly.

D
Old 1 week ago
  #99
Airwindows
 
chrisj's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
In Acustica's defense CPU-wise, I want to point out that I've got users who are reporting impossibly high CPU usage on M1 Macs running Ableton in Rosetta, even when using the plugins that I compiled for Apple Silicon. The thing is that my stuff is the opposite: I get my sounds through trying to come up with clever and totally minimal algorithms, combined with really long word lengths and DSP stuff common to the plugins.

I get the same kind of complaints, but it's for things like a gain plugin that only multiplies the signal by a factor of 2, like "inputSample *= 16;" as the only code.

I feel like there are two paths: one is the minimalism and the other is overprocessing so hardcore that you go straight past the 'plastic daw sound' zone through to another side where you have another living organism, but this time it's synthetic. That's Acustica, and it's something I won't do so I'm happy they're doing it.

But I'm just saying, if you're having terrible CPU problems, it might NOT be their choices causing them. Sometimes it's an interaction with the DAW, or the DAW and the OS, or the DAW and OS and the CPU… and coding stuff more simply will not save you. I would know. Therefore, learn from the folks who are running their Acustica with more success: you might need to tune your system to better host the plugins you love
Old 1 week ago
  #100
Lives for gear
 
My experience with AA is using the Ciel suite and Celestial on the highest spec MBP 16”. I have to render a mix down and then I can only use 1 instance of Celestial. Is this par for the course? Would I face the same scenario with Snow?
Old 1 week ago
  #101
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
In Rosetta mode plugins are simply translated. It is normal that a plugin that consumes a lot of resources stays that way. The real revolution is the native mode. It's a matter of little time, all host producers will be forced to go native. Apple has decided that this transition period can last two years at most, and one has already passed.
As far as snow consumption is concerned, only one of the plugins is really heavy, and it is normal that it is: it is two equalizers, two preamps, two compressors and a limiter combined.
It is an object thought for mastering, a bit like the heavier version of Celestial.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #102
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod ➡️
As far as snow consumption is concerned, only one of the plugins is really heavy, and it is normal that it is: it is two equalizers, two preamps, two compressors and a limiter combined.
It is an object thought for mastering, a bit like the heavier version of Celestial.
Exactly - people forget that if mastering you should only have a single two track in your session. I think people try mastering on their mix bus within their mix session.

Mastering plugins are always more CPU intensive as for the above reason they can afford to be.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #103
Lives for gear
 
Jpga's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod ➡️
In Rosetta mode plugins are simply translated. It is normal that a plugin that consumes a lot of resources stays that way. The real revolution is the native mode. It's a matter of little time, all host producers will be forced to go native. Apple has decided that this transition period can last two years at most, and one has already passed.
As far as snow consumption is concerned, only one of the plugins is really heavy, and it is normal that it is: it is two equalizers, two preamps, two compressors and a limiter combined.
It is an object thought for mastering, a bit like the heavier version of Celestial.
What is Rosetta mode?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #104
Gear Nut
 
i want to hear the opinion of someone , who compared the sound of Snow Master Buss to the RND MBP Portico 2 !
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #105
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hool15 ➡️
i want to hear the opinion of someone , who compared the sound of Snow Master Buss to the RND MBP Portico 2 !
Can't speak for Snow, but I compared Cerise to my Shelford and damn... This is very very close.. Almost can't justify keeping the Shelford. Snow sounds incredible, but useless due to extreme cpu usage. There you have a plugin that is probably very close to a Portico 2 but you can't use it.. Can use 1 instance of the eq, can't use the compressor.
Old 2 days ago
  #106
Here for the gear
 
Bro i run a the latest i9 intel max out 64 gigs over clock got no problem i load up atleast a good five or six yes it less intensive than before now because they got better at the technology. New systems base you just need to update your components on your pc buddy. They are the best sounding plugs hands down and yall complaints like ua aint intensive and taxing yall for plugs and dsp over charging yall and yall don't cry about it soo cut it with yall bs.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
  #107
Here for the gear
Software Please...

People, this is my first post ever in these forums because I read all the posts and had to respond!

All the complaints are pretty shallow, you cannot complain on CPU usage without at least writing your HW info, buffer size etc, and the workflow that cost you that CPU.

The comparison to Ferrari is unrelevant, as its the road that it drives through, and the driver that drives it make up the main intervals for the terrain conditions.

No one forced you to upgrade your Maschine, the same way Acustica Audio doesn't force you to use their plugins.

Take a Ferrari to the jungle it will worth really not much other than something beautiful with air conditioner.

Attacking the price tags is ridiculous ! as they have sales all the time and you get more and more discount %s the more you buy.
if I can get an Acustica Audio plugin for 48euros on sale with 30% discount so can you. Waves sell on 70% regular discount with another special day discount for 29$ are you kidding me ?

These are your problems ? CPU and Money ? common... as we always hear we have our toolbox to use with our own tools. so major part of the toolbox is the toolbox itself, empty from inside, that will hold all your tools. I can't believe I go to this direction.. but you can't fit a chainsaw to an electric wrench box... by logic.

Ofcourse all the respect to everyone and to all the companies .
Old 8 hours ago | Show parent
  #108
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchuk ➡️
People, this is my first post ever in these forums because I read all the posts and had to respond!

All the complaints are pretty shallow, you cannot complain on CPU usage without at least writing your HW info, buffer size etc, and the workflow that cost you that CPU.

The comparison to Ferrari is unrelevant, as its the road that it drives through, and the driver that drives it make up the main intervals for the terrain conditions.

No one forced you to upgrade your Maschine, the same way Acustica Audio doesn't force you to use their plugins.

Take a Ferrari to the jungle it will worth really not much other than something beautiful with air conditioner.

Attacking the price tags is ridiculous ! as they have sales all the time and you get more and more discount %s the more you buy.
if I can get an Acustica Audio plugin for 48euros on sale with 30% discount so can you. Waves sell on 70% regular discount with another special day discount for 29$ are you kidding me ?

These are your problems ? CPU and Money ? common... as we always hear we have our toolbox to use with our own tools. so major part of the toolbox is the toolbox itself, empty from inside, that will hold all your tools. I can't believe I go to this direction.. but you can't fit a chainsaw to an electric wrench box... by logic.

Ofcourse all the respect to everyone and to all the companies .
Agree. It surprises me still to hear people who do mixing and mastering professionally talk about their 2013 mac book pro and bitch about CPU issues.

It seems like if this is your living, you get the best tools. Period.

I do not do sound for a living. Sad. But I still enjoy it enough and am blessed with income enough that my basic tool kit is good. Ryzen 5950x, 64gb ram.

I use bitwig and reaper and snow doesn't choke either one, even on large track counts on mix bus, and it sounds f*÷cking phenomenal.

Now, I will patiently wait for the reply from someone to explain to me how me being an amateur places true understanding of the issue beyond my capacity.
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
  #109
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoru97214 ➡️
Agree. It surprises me still to hear people who do mixing and mastering professionally talk about their 2013 mac book pro and bitch about CPU issues.

It seems like if this is your living, you get the best tools. Period.

I do not do sound for a living. Sad. But I still enjoy it enough and am blessed with income enough that my basic tool kit is good. Ryzen 5950x, 64gb ram.

I use bitwig and reaper and snow doesn't choke either one, even on large track counts on mix bus, and it sounds f*÷cking phenomenal.

Now, I will patiently wait for the reply from someone to explain to me how me being an amateur places true understanding of the issue beyond my capacity.
are acustica plugins the best sounding in your opinion?
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
  #110
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazFromtheManor ➡️
are acustica plugins the best sounding in your opinion?
I feel like that is a deceptively complicated question, so I hope this reply doesn't seem too long winded.

I really do love Acustica software whenever I want to impart a feeling or tone into the track or bus. I love the natural saturation that comes with their stuff a lot. I have quite a few acquas and nebula libraries too. I think their EQ and tone specific software (like crimson, lemon, taupe, gainstation, cerise, celestial) really is second to none. The dynamism in the saturation was really miraculous to me. I came late into the Acustica train. Was working on an EDM kind of thing and was lamenting how none of my stuff gave the "3d" thing to the track. Downloaded Taupe demo as my first Acustica try and was like "HOLY ****. That is amazing." I still use acquas in every project.

That being said, I have had a hard time making their compressors work in my material. I'm not sure why they don't feel right, but they often don't feel right to me. One of the reasons that I have posted positively about Snow despite the CPU load is that the compressor on this one sounds really really good to me, and that is a rarity for me in Acquas. I have Tim P OPTO 32, and like that for vocals, but for the majority of compression duties I use Novatron, Kush AR-1, Tone Projects Unisum, JonV Fircomp 2, sometimes Silika. Sometimes Analog Obsession stuff. His stuff is pretty neat I think.

Anyway, a long answer to a short question. Sorry for that, but I realized I might have sounded like a jerk in my post (Which is often the case I fear) and don't wish to come off like a jerk.
Old 3 hours ago
  #111
Lives for gear
 
Jpga's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hi Acustica audio do some of your plugin use diffrent graphic structure?
Some of the plugins have verry glichy Gui? Some make all othe plugin glitch and also logic. I have had that problem with voxengo and they change to async drawing Windows mode Fix.
I do not know what it means but the plug stopped behaving strangely and even all the other’s plugin and daw graphics problem to.
On Mac.
It would be very nice if you could solve this problem.
All the best,
JP
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump