Quantcast
Baby Audio releases Smooth Operator - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Baby Audio releases Smooth Operator
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
... whew ... I was ALMOST able to read through the whole thread. I got about 3/4 the way through. I picked up SmoothOp. I also have Teote, Gullfoss, Soothe2, smart EQ 2, MSpDy, etc. I find SmoothOp to be the same as many of you: effective and efficient. There is a lot of discussion about how it compares to the other similar tools. Today I routed the same source through SmoothOp, Teote, Gullfoss and Soothe2 and took at a look at the resulting corrections in their real-time displays. I put some work into setting them up in the same way with flat threshold at about the same level. If there is any similarity, from what I can see, Gullfoss Tame and SmoothOp are somewhat similar, as are Gullfoss Recover and Teote (with appropriate settings). Soothe2 is doing it's own thing. It makes sense that Soothe2 would be an out-lyer as I believe it's focus is resonances vs the other tools which seem to be adjusting vs a reference like white, pink or waterfall noise (!).

My opinion on SmoothOp: It's a good general purpose tool that similar to those others listed. It's benefits are fast workflow, good UX and effective results. It seems to be similar to Gullfoss Tame. I think if you have any or all of the other tools mentioned SmoothOp is still worth considering for its fast workflow and slightly different approach than the others. How much you might want to spend on that is a personal choice of course.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

How would this compare to TDR Nova?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Len8 ➡️
How would this compare to TDR Nova?
TDR nova is an EQ, this is a FFT based thingamajig.

This compares to:
Soothe, Gullfoss, DSEQ3, Neutron Sculptor, Ozone spectral shaper, Melda MSpectralDynamics

I don't think it compares to TDR Nova at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plx ➡️
TDR nova is an EQ, this is a FFT based thingamajig.

This compares to:
Soothe, Gullfoss, DSEQ3, Neutron Sculptor, Ozone spectral shaper, Melda MSpectralDynamics

I don't think it compares to TDR Nova at all.
TDR Nova GE is not just an EQ. It has special ops and can learn from the incoming audio and statically or dynamically match a custom reference curve or pink noise. The only limitation is its six bands + LPF + HPF.
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikkers ➡️
TDR Nova is not just an EQ. It can learn from the incoming audio and statically or dynamically match a custom reference curve or pink noise. It has six bands + LPF + HPF.
Although very good and smart, it's still in essence a dynamic EQ, working with 6 bands as opposed to somewhere from 128 to 2048 (or whatever size FFT bin they picked)

i'm not arguing that it's less powerful or less useful, it's just a different type of tool.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plx ➡️
Although very good and smart, it's still in essence a dynamic EQ, working with 6 bands as opposed to somewhere from 128 to 2048 (or whatever size FFT bin they picked)

i'm not arguing that it's less powerful or less useful, it's just a different type of tool.
How many resonances will a signal have? I wonder if there are more than a few then the source material isn’t good. That’s why I’m asking how this compares to NOVA.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How many resonances will a signal have? I wonder if there are more than a few then the source material isn’t good. That’s why I’m asking how this compares to NOVA.
It depends on the changing keys and notation.
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Maybe, but there’s X amount of scenarios where rerecording isnt an option and you need to make the best with what you have.

Then there’s pitch “tracking” (if various notes stick out and you dont want to just nuke all resonance) which with dynamic eq simply doesn’t happen. I like dynamic EQing, but for notching out annoyances - solving problems, i prefer soothe (or any fft based tool)
Old 21 hours ago
Here for the gear

Just auditioned and bought SmoothOp since it was a good balance between cost, simplicity, and features for me. Since BA is watching this forum, some feature requests:
- GUI colors (like others say, it's difficult to see things)
- Categorize the presets, or put them in groups (I don't like scrolling up/down looking for a bass guitar preset)
- Add a "Q" control (I, like many others, use a track pad, and don't have a scroll wheel to control Q)
- Auto gain compensation (like others have requested)
- Larger meter font
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Man, what is up with that Threshold node? Why can't the emphasis points move around/past/THROUGH it? Why is it a brick wall obstacle smack bang in the middle of the frequency range? Am I the only one who finds this super annoying?
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
Man, what is up with that Threshold node? Why can't the emphasis points move around/past/THROUGH it? Why is it a brick wall obstacle smack bang in the middle of the frequency range? Am I the only one who finds this super annoying?
Agreed. It’s right in the sweet spot where I want to do important boosts/cuts. Highly annoying. Great plug-in, excellent update. But that threshold node is a real pos.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…