Baby Audio releases Smooth Operator - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Baby Audio releases Smooth Operator
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScythe ➡️
This is a perfection addition if you have DSEQ and TEOTE especially for the intro price. If it's fixable with Smooth Operator - done. If it's overdoing it -DSEQ/TEOTE. If it doesn't help - rerecord or something else entirely.
I don't know if I am the only one, but I find all these tools (Sooth, TEOTE, and SmoothOp) to be time savers rather than better makers. I still get more pleasant results to my ear notching certain frequencies dynamically with something like ProQ3. These tools kind of just do the same thing but in a less deliberate manner imo.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto ➡️
I don't know if I am the only one, but I find all these tools (Sooth, TEOTE, and SmoothOp) to be time savers rather than better makers. I still get more pleasant results to my ear notching certain frequencies dynamically with something like ProQ3. These tools kind of just do the same thing but in a less deliberate manner imo.
Like you I'm using an EQ, either dynamic or automating the band gain of the filters up and down as needed. I do this for resonance and whistling frequencies on guitars, piano and keys/pads with a lot of reverb - they are easy to spot in an EQ like Pro-Q. Just use a high Q peak filter to notch them down and keep them from poking out too far above the other harmonics. This method is very surgical and transparent - and I kinda swear by it.

I don't own Soothe though... So Smooth Operator interests me and I will probably try it out. I don't expect it to be more transparent than fixing resonance manually using my meticulous way (TEOTE isn't), but I expect it will do a reasonable/OK job in basically no time at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto ➡️
I wanted to like the concept, but like you I didn't find it very different than applying a dynamic EQ (or multiband compressor).
Maybe it's quicker to find results with SmoothOp, but results are less refined.

Actually, I even often found SmoothOp needed quite a bit of tweaking if I wanted to achieve the sound I wanted, so there was not much difference compared to applying a 6 band preset in Pro-MB, finding the good frequency settings, the good timing of compression for each band (something you can't do in SmoothOp) and the good gain reduction.
I own Pro-Q3, Pro-MB and Nova GE, so I don't think I need SmoothOp, but again maybe I'm missing something...
I think something much more interesting would be an automatic processor, that find the issues for you and fixes them, so you can apply, tweak the changes or use it as a reference for your own more deliberate processing.
But again Nova has the SmartOps, where you can deresonate or match your source again any reference (pink noise, a file or a track in your session), apply and then modify the settings according to your needs, so I don't think I miss anything...
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
😂 This used to be Gearslutz where you had to have every plugin going in order to comply.

Now as it is called Gearspace you have to decide whether or not to make space for another plug !

How things change !🤪
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger ➡️
how poetic
😂 Made mainly containing of references to Sade song titles !
Old 1 week ago
Hey everyone, thanks a bunch for all the valuable feedback (and clever Sade references)!
We're really grateful for how well this plugin has been received.

I wanted to chime in really quickly to say that we're following this thread and take note of all feature suggestions and feedback. I'm also more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the plugin, so just fire away!

Usually, we put out an update pretty soon after a release based on the initial feedback – and I think it'll be the same with Smooth Operator. So keep it coming

Caspar
/BABY Audio
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABY Audio ➡️
Hey everyone, thanks a bunch for all the valuable feedback (and clever Sade references)!

I wanted to chime in really quickly to say that we're following this thread and take note of all feature suggestions and feedback. I'm also more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the plugin, so just fire away!

Usually, we put out an update pretty soon after a release based on the initial feedback – and I think it'll be the same with Smooth Operator. So keep it coming

Caspar
/BABY Audio
I'm just gonna throw this big list out there !

1) More Bands!!! and the ability to just add or remove

2) oversampling option or an offline bounce option

3) rudimentary attack, release

4) more accurate autogain, it's always noticeably louder it seems
Lives for gear

Quote:

Caspar
/BABY Audio
One thing I would hear your thoughts on is future Apple Silicon compatibility. As a Mac user I will be getting an Apple Silicon computer within the next year or so and will need to have plugins that are native (as I understand you need to have native or emulated only, not both). As this is the case, I am hesitant to invest in plugins that are not going to be updated to Silicon versions. Are there plans to create a native Silicon version of your plugins?
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
😂 This used to be Gearslutz where you had to have every plugin going in order to comply.

Now as it is called Gearspace you have to decide whether or not to make space for another plug !

How things change !🤪
I own Soothe, Gullfoss, and now this plugin. I think I'm covered with smart eq's. This one actually helped on a mix and I also couldn't stand the cutouts. That was driving me crazy. I almost didn't get it for that. I actually first closed the plugin once it did a 5 sec cut out. I was like "Why 5 seconds? Good Lord" That was extremely annoying!!!

I'm still a Gearslutz!

Marc
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Really love how this sounds on resonance over others.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➡️
I own Soothe, Gullfoss, and now this plugin. I think I'm covered with smart eq's. This one actually helped on a mix and I also couldn't stand the cutouts. That was driving me crazy. I almost didn't get it for that. I actually first closed the plugin once it did a 5 sec cut out. I was like "Why 5 seconds? Good Lord" That was extremely annoying!!!

I'm still a Gearslutz!

Marc
Good for you Marc ! Glad to see the old school is still here with all the gear

Yes the cut outs were highly annoying but coupled with the price and sound I think I had decided within 10 minutes or so to buy. So I guess it worked for them.

I have them all as well, no longer soothe but dseq, smart eq, voxengo etc.

There’s something about the contemporary sound that this gives and I like the pink design albeit a little funny on the eyes.

Preset management could be made better perhaps some sort of titled folders, I keep having to scroll down to find starting points as I am learning...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️

How things change !🤪
Lol 100%

But that's because we're really saturated with what we already have.

And the majority of new releases are just another flavour of the same thing.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Really awesome plugin! Demo-ed it, after 5 min I knew this is really a Swiss army knife! Bought it!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

BAD BUG found when demoing Smooth Operator v1.0.3 in Studio One 5 v 5.1.2 (Mac, Mojave OS):

The S1 gui becomes "sticky," slow, and far less than fully responsive (e.g., scrolling song, channel meters, faders when using scroll wheel) whenever the Smooth Operator gui plugin window is opened, even if the plugin is turned off.

To confirm it was Smooth Operator and not other plugins in the song I was demoing Smooth Operator in, I tried in a new empty S1 song with only one stereo audio track and Smooth Operator as the only plugin, and got the same problem.

I have the “Enable graphics hardware acceleration” enabled in S1's Preferences/General (and need to use that setting for all my other plugins, so did not try with that pref disabled).

Too bad, I was having good initial impressions sonically, but this was and is a show stopper. But a cure for GAS.

I hope they fix this.

Anyone else seeing similar problems?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Subtle and beautiful! Thank you baby audio for making tools that help the tone flow! Looking forward to the next update with some of the aforementioned improvements, but I’m finding this tool at the top of my recents since install. Looks great, sounds even better!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Purchased Smooth Operator.

A very useful plugin to have, and very fast, and fun to work with. Clean, and simple GUI. Love it.

Good Job BABY AUDIO.

Thanks, You
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudio ➡️
The S1 gui becomes "sticky," slow, and far less than fully responsive (e.g., scrolling song, channel meters, faders when using scroll wheel) whenever the Smooth Operator gui plugin window is opened, even if the plugin is turned off.
That sounds weird and not like how it normally behaves. Would you mind emailing me at [email protected] so we can look into this and figure out what's going on?

We're planning an update next week with some minor fixes anyway – so I'd love to be able to look into this prior to that in case we need to implement a fix!
Gear Nut

Quote:
That sounds weird and not like how it normally behaves. Would you mind emailing me at [email protected] so we can look into this and figure out what's going on?

We're planning an update next week with some minor fixes anyway – so I'd love to be able to look into this prior to that in case we need to implement a fix!
Thanks. Before seeing your post I sent an email through your website, so you can reply to that. Hopefully this can be straightened out, because like I said I had favorable initial impressions so I wanted to demo it more and maybe buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudio ➡️
Thanks. Before seeing your post I sent an email through your website, so you can reply to that. Hopefully this can be straightened out, because like I said I had favorable initial impressions so I wanted to demo it more and maybe buy.
Awesome, just saw that now. We'll be back in touch via email as to not derail this thread – but thanks for the heads up
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Love this thing. So easy. So fast. Fantastic on acoustic guitars. Great work! Your checkout was easy, too.

I also don't like silence on demos. Felt like I'd gone back in time. I actually forgot it did that and I thought it was overtaxing my CPU. Full-featured, time-limited demos is my preference. But I bought it anyway.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Will use this plugin on tracks instead of using Logic X Eq to cut away low end, in the future. I will probably put the plugin on most of my tracks anyway cause it can really make most sources sound more studio, IMHE (ears).

Last edited by Bob Yordan; 4 days ago at 11:26 AM..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:

when i use it subtly it makes everything balanced and creamy congrats man you've going a long way since starting with your first plugin at facebook
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsieq ➡️
anyone else notice loss of bottom end when used on the master??
I would use very gently on a master
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I really love this plugin, works like a charm! my only complaint : the color scheme could be a bit better. Maybe update it with more color options? White with these colors are not always easy to see/read.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
https://youtu.be/S5fzbLY28_k Mmmmmmm distortion when processing simple sine waves
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis ➡️
https://youtu.be/S5fzbLY28_k Mmmmmmm distortion when processing simple sine waves
Had to try that. Indeed, if you have Focus slider on right it will generate Harmonics. If you set it to Left then there is one small Harmonic. The default preset CLEAN START does introduce harmonics on low sinewave.

Not that i would use this on master anyway, but If the track has proper sinewave sub bass then It’s not good idea to use this.

But as a creative tool it could be nice. Btw, 500hz sinewave introduces Harmonics to both sides of 500hz.

EDIT: I actually managed to make interesting D'n'B bass sound with this: Feed in sine bass, adjust the bands so that it levels the main harmonic down and raises the generated harmonics. Add distortion and limiter and you have nice wobble bass :D

EDIT 2: The wobble happens due that the harmonics introduced by Smooth Operator are out of key about 40cents.

EDIT 3: If i feed in F0 bass, get C3 and A3 harmonics. Oddly the harmonics are same for E0, but with F#2 harmonics are F#3 and C4. I also experimented with multiple instances of SO to get more added harmonics. That will definitely be bassline for my next track :D

Btw, i of cource use Operator synth to feed sinewaves to Smooth Operator

Last edited by El-Burrito; 3 days ago at 07:45 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis ➡️
Yeah, era of "trust your ears" is over, it is "trust the sine" now.

Saw the video yesterday.
Old 3 days ago
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Who cares about what snake oil guy says? I’m subbed to him but more for a joke, he doesn’t even test what the plug-in right half the time. He comes from the angle of “I slap this on and it should sound good”. He is anti manual - which means he doesn’t take the time to even understand the plug-in past a quick first glimpse of the GUI.

Smooth operater is cheating .On vox , I throw a slate clean air, and a digital eq before smooth op to emphasize the tones I wanna enhance and set the preset to male smooth on smooth op . it takes all the nastiness as boominess out so it fits right in the mix. Then I throw more compression on it. For that modern pop/rap sound it’s Cheating.

I like smooth op for vox over gulfoss and soothe. Soothe is great but it dosnt have compression like smooth op. The compression smooth op gives it something extra instead of just subtracting nasties. smooth op is also easier/faster to use than soothe. gulf doesn’t really shape the tone how I want for vox but it’s good on the mix bus tho
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Still playing and getting used to controls using a PC laptop touchpad on full mixes, I could use the convenience of dbl-click to set a value but scolling lets met get there eventually. I dig the sound someone mentioned downward/upward compression. Not sure what to call it but i do get a sense of ying/yang push and pull when the control bar is placed under vs over the signal level. The sound is good and I think I could use this to concentrate on bas/mid/high areas individually using separate instances and fine-tuning the adjustments for that. I've just started doing it that way with DSEQ3 also as it can be a bit hard to get nice-sounding setting for the entire spectrum all in one instance. Lots going on in the spectral processing under the covers I guess that give us these simple UI controls. I don't have Soothe so this may lead into that direction also. Having a stereo link percentage might be handy on Smooth Operator, I can se where a bit of channel independence might be cool. Purchased and liking it!

So far Smooth Operator is giving me a smoother sound on the 3 general frequency ranges I'm trying to balance on rock mixes. Nice job!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb ➡️
Who cares about what snake oil guy says? I’m subbed to him but more for a joke, he doesn’t even test what the plug-in right half the time. He comes from the angle of “I slap this on and it should sound good”. He is anti manual - which means he doesn’t take the time to even understand the plug-in past a quick first glimpse of the GUI.

Smooth operater is cheating .On vox , I throw a slate clean air, and a digital eq before smooth op to emphasize the tones I wanna enhance and set the preset to male smooth on smooth op . it takes all the nastiness as boominess out so it fits right in the mix. Then I throw more compression on it. For that modern pop/rap sound it’s Cheating.

I like smooth op for vox over gulfoss and soothe. Soothe is great but it dosnt have compression like smooth op. The compression smooth op gives it something extra instead of just subtracting nasties. smooth op is also easier/faster to use than soothe. gulf doesn’t really shape the tone how I want for vox but it’s good on the mix bus tho
I know what you mean about the snake oil guy - what I like about his take on things is that he approaches it from left-field. Many times he brings up a point about something adjacent to the subject of the video and I enjoy that aspect. His enthusiasm and mania are infectious also. LOL
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…