The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Perception AB: Major upgrade - loudness-matched bypass an entire mix with one click
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Perception has become an indispensable tool in my workflow. It allows me to make only true improvements.

A request to the founders: Please consider adding a resizable GUI in the next iteration.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikerr ➡️
Hi all, thanks so much for the feedback. Here are some follow up comments:

@ GBP I apologize if we didn't resolve an issue that you contacted us about, or if we didn't get back to you promptly. I'd be happy to personally look into whatever issues you may be encountering. Currently, we don't have any known outstanding stability issues (i.e., crashes / freezes) with any of our plugins. We always aim to get these fixed ASAP, and usually only require a crash report in order to address them.

Graphics / UI issues are occasionally out of our hands, but we also strive to fix anything and everything we can. For example, there are certain versions of macOS with OpenGL issues that affect certain DAWs. In these cases, sometimes the only fix is to update either macOS or the DAW.

Well thanks for some sort of response Ian. I guess you found and looked at my support request back in October as yes indeed it was a graphical error.

I have reinstalled the latest version of dynameter which seems to be around a whole point release from 1.5.2 to 1.6 .?

Again similar issues arise where on one screen it will open displaying super enlarged within the window so you only see a little bit of waveform. Some opening and closing can rectify this.
Seems to open more as it should more consistently when opened on my 4k display.

Still on mojave and this is now Nuendo 11.2.rather than 10.3. But as you point out this could be the macOS and OpenGL issue.

In fairness I do have a similar problem with another companies meter display but they don’t seem to sort that out and effectively I had to bug test and make videos for at least 3 plugs of theirs.
Just seems strange that that these gui issues happens from 2 companies when I have so many developers plugs on my system.
I don’t know anything about coding but I do know that the youlean plugin meter was very flaky in terms of graphical issues but he has recently changed everything to apple metal for GPU backend and all seems fine now.

Another well known company has updated their eq but now the copy function doesn’t work properly, so they have sent me back an older release. I just don’t understand how these bugs get in and get past any testing before release. Just seems very shoddy, mind you don’t let me get started on Cubase updates!

Haven’t tried any other sequencers yet nor old version of perception properly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianshepherd ➡️
We don’t see ourselves as being in competition with other plugins or manufacturers, we just try to make things we think are great, and that our users love.
Delusions of grandeur....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English ➡️
Delusions of grandeur....
😂

I meant it more in a humble way, we just make things as well as we can, and hope that people like them.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
Also maybe inclusion of other units such as dbfs etc as at the moment it only allows LUFS.
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, glad you like it !

In terms of gain changes, 1 dB = 1 LU, so the gain figures you're seeing will apply equally to dBFS.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianshepherd ➡️
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, glad you like it !

In terms of gain changes, 1 dB = 1 LU, so the gain figures you're seeing will apply equally to dBFS.
Thanks I am actually really glad I got in during the Intro Offer period now as I have GainMatch and demo AB LM and this is far quicker for my workflow - it just gelled right away for me personally. I think GUI size option and (maybe more than 128 instances) could be useful in future iterations but not at the price of stability. So if you do update, make sure the archived versions are available to roll back to.

Absolutely superb imo and should mean I am done spending time searching around for a tool to do this for me. Such a time saver.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. You will see earlier in the thread I was unconvinced but I decided to purchase to demo and very thankful I did.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks I am actually really glad I got in during the Intro Offer period now as I have GainMatch and demo AB LM and this is far quicker for my workflow - it just gelled right away for me personally. I think GUI size option and (maybe more than 128 instances) could be useful in future iterations but not at the price of stability. So if you do update, make sure the archived versions are available to roll back to.

Absolutely superb imo and should mean I am done spending time searching around for a tool to do this for me. Such a time saver.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. You will see earlier in the thread I was unconvinced but I decided to purchase to demo and very thankful I did.
Why do you find this to be better than gainmatch and AB LM? Please give details thanks.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
Why do you find this to be better than gainmatch and AB LM? Please give details thanks.
Mainly just gelled with it straight away so it's definitely a personal thing for me really.

I have been having a few issues with GainMatch recently as you'll see from that thread and the constant updating of it and then not working properly can be a bit of a hassle but I do really like GainMatch and bought it as soon as it was released. I would suggest that one for people on less of a budget.

AB LM on experts page when setting match reference value jumps a bit for me at first. Also it is more convoluted GUI whereas for a tool like this for me at least simplicity is key.

I find changing from pre to post to ref values in Perception A/B seems more smoothly implemented and doesn't cause jumps (for me).

Also the ability to bypass all instances with a single click is awesome - so as to compare everything you have done in the mix etc.

I just feel like I have GainMatch as backup and this Perception A/B seems like I won't have to have any more issues with this regard of my mixing. Also works seemlessly before Console 1 plugin which is important for me now.

Edit: I was purchasing thinking I could return within the 60 days but now it is solidly in my template and will probably be one of my most used utility plugins from now on.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsieq ➡️
Intro offer should be more than a week. Especially with no demo.
If you look at my earlier posts, I agree with you. However I just trusted that if I did want my money back before the expiration of the 60 day trial period it would be given since the company seem to have been around a good while. I also paid via PayPal.

The way that they send a link to the download and the serial number to activate might have something to do with making a demo available awkward for them...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My view of Perception A/B is a bit disappointment.

I'm still within the 60 day period ... so really trying to avoid jumping to conclusions.

TBPro ABLM has been in steady use. I've only slightly started using v2 ... not sure if I like it better or not. [not crazy with the GURU page].

Once Latency is set ... there are no sonic jumps.

Holding the SHIFT key will activate any function Globally. Rarely need that ... but handy.
Also like that the Gain changing Parameter Values [History] can be hidden from DAW UN-DO,
plus ... ABLM can have 256 channels ... and I use a lot of Channels over the course of a Project.

Perception was my first purchase of this type when first released ... had hoped that the new V2 would be just as
ground-breaking ... but its actually more limited ... and the GUI is not as decisive as I would prefer.

With all respect to Ian ... we'll see ...

I also had purchased GainMatch when first released ... but just never connected with it ... but I support the Development.

2. Somebody needs to actually re-think this A/B plugin concept ... I think the 'BookEnd' concept is redundant.

With maybe a slightly more advanced 'internal plugin' communication ... applied to a Chain of EFXs ... there should only need 2
Main plugs ... one at the Top, and One at the Bottom of the Chain ... in between that ... a single 'monitor' plugin AFTER each plugin in that Chain.

The REF is already established from the Top insert. The Bottom would serve as Master Chain BYpass/A-B.

All other 'monitors' are measuring the Output of the plugin ahead of it ... AND, it should know from the Top plug what the REF level is.

The entire function of these A/B plugs should allow for monitoring the difference ... and its up to the Engineer to adjust each plugin back to UNITY.

None of these A/B should be left ON when Printing a Track ... in fact, once a plugin has its setting established, and set at UNITY ... the A/B needs to be
BYPASSED ...

why .... because ALL of them are affecting the sonics of the Chain.

[note ... the Dev's should look up Chrisj, from AIRWindows, with his PUREstGain plugin. The absolute, cleanest GAIN plugin I've encountered].

this was not to be a Rant ... but more a hope for a better design for a critical tool.

Thank-you
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I also paid via PayPal.
FYI Paypal offers you no protection for software purchases.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=RJHollins;15438232 The entire function of these A/B plugs should allow for monitoring the difference ... and its up to the Engineer to adjust each plugin back to UNITY.

None of these A/B should be left ON when Printing a Track ... in fact, once a plugin has its setting established, and set at UNITY ... the A/B needs to be
BYPASSED ...
[/QUOTE]

That’s how I use gain match by adjusting the compressor etc to unity whilst checking the effect. Then get rid of gainmatch or ab lm once finished.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Mainly just gelled with it straight away so it's definitely a personal thing for me really.

I have been having a few issues with GainMatch recently as you'll see from that thread and the constant updating of it and then not working properly can be a bit of a hassle but I do really like GainMatch and bought it as soon as it was released. I would suggest that one for people on less of a budget.

AB LM on experts page when setting match reference value jumps a bit for me at first. Also it is more convoluted GUI whereas for a tool like this for me at least simplicity is key.

I find changing from pre to post to ref values in Perception A/B seems more smoothly implemented and doesn't cause jumps (for me).

Also the ability to bypass all instances with a single click is awesome - so as to compare everything you have done in the mix etc.

I just feel like I have GainMatch as backup and this Perception A/B seems like I won't have to have any more issues with this regard of my mixing. Also works seemlessly before Console 1 plugin which is important for me now.

Edit: I was purchasing thinking I could return within the 60 days but now it is solidly in my template and will probably be one of my most used utility plugins from now on.
Thanks for the in-depth reply.
If it works for you then that’s all good...
Cubase has a “bypass all plugs” that you can allocate a key command for, I am pretty sure.
I know what you mean about the many updates, these take time to install and invariably there seems to be another issue created...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
FYI Paypal offers you no protection for software purchases.
Ah cheers for that info - didn't actually realise that to be honest.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi all,

Happy to hear that some of you have had time to take Perception AB for a spin, and really appreciate the feedback. Here are a few replies to comments / questions:

@ GBP Re: graphical issues - Thanks for the additional detail about the problem you're seeing. Yes, there are known OpenGL graphical issues with Mojave, our plugins and certain DAWs, depending on which version of the Mac OS X SDK they were compiled with. We reached out to Steinberg about this and they confirmed. We have not seen these issues in later versions of macOS. That said, migrating from OpenGL to Metal is on our todo list, and that should resolve these issues entirely.

@ Neptune45 Great to hear that Perception AB is working out for you!

@ stsieq Our intro offer lasted a week, but we also have a 60 day money-back guarantee, to give people a chance to decide whether or not the plugin is right for them. We'll likely have additional sales in the future. The best way to hear about those is to subscribe to our mailing list: https://www.meterplugs.com/newsletter

@ RJHollins Thanks for the feedback. Some other people have mentioned wanting more than 128 channels, so this is likely something we'll add in an update.

@ garry_spectrum Great to hear that you like it! We'll look into making the GUI resizable in an update.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikerr ➡️
Hi all,

Happy to hear that some of you have had time to take Perception AB for a spin, and really appreciate the feedback. Here are a few replies to comments / questions:

@ GBP Re: graphical issues - Thanks for the additional detail about the problem you're seeing. Yes, there are known OpenGL graphical issues with Mojave, our plugins and certain DAWs, depending on which version of the Mac OS X SDK they were compiled with. We reached out to Steinberg about this and they confirmed. We have not seen these issues in later versions of macOS. That said, migrating from OpenGL to Metal is on our todo list, and that should resolve these issues entirely.
On using perception ( original ) graphics are all over the place Ie: super enlarged within the original sized window, depending on which screen it opens on first.
Or will have to open and close several times to reset properly once moved to the 4k screen. Seems to be 50/50.
So unfortunately it is unusable really.....

The new Sonible smart eq 3 has openGL and the graphics on the analyser etc seem to work fine on both displays, in Nuendo with Mojave.

Can open and move across to each monitor with no problems. Only had some slow down delay of sizing the window on a large session. But graphics are displayed as they should be with up to 6 different analyser spectrums in one window.

As I say I am not a coder but a mere user.....
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I had the original Perception but I stopped using it. I wanted to stop overthinking A/B issues.

This new one looks clean, i liked the video. Much more streamlined, looks easy to use.
I'm considering upgrading.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

@ ikerr -- I'm enjoying the upgrade and did purchase. That said, I wanted to see what the fuss was about with GainMatch, so I did try it and I have to say that the auto-gain functionality is really nice. I guess you don't miss what you don't know about or have, but now I get it. I would definitely vote to have that as an improvement/addition to Perception AB in the future.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1200mk2 ➡️
That said, I wanted to see what the fuss was about with GainMatch, so I did try it and I have to say that the auto-gain functionality is really nice. I guess you don't miss what you don't know about or have, but now I get it. I would definitely vote to have that as an improvement/addition to Perception AB in the future.
As an option like with GM I agree. But definitely should be optional whether want to engage the auto or not.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
As an option like with GM I agree. But definitely should be optional whether want to engage the auto or not.
Yes, absolutely as an option. I can totally appreciate where it would be unwanted and also it needs to be adjustable as to how quickly it reacts and reaches unity. I personally prefer a slower transition as to not distract too much.

Not having it isn't a 'deal breaker' by any means for me, but it would be a nice addition now that I've had a little first hand experience. I'm very used to adjusting both match and sync as I'm adding plugins in/out of my mastering chain, but as I get things more dialed in (overall plugins remain the same) I'd like to be able to enable auto-gain and just focus on the smaller adjustments I'm making and the A/B process vs. having to include gain matching as well.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well ... sadly .... I've cancelled my update to v2.

Support was very polite and quick to Refund.

They did ask if I would write back with comments or features needed ... would just have to find time for that.

I'm always watching any products that handle A/B functions. I am meticulous in my Gain Staging, and a tool that can make
it more efficient is what I look for.

For now, TBPro has the best solution for me at this time ... and there are things that I don't care for with it ... but the basic functions
I need, it handles.

I'll be watching how Perception advances ... and if things align right ... who knows.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
well ... sadly .... I've cancelled my update to v2.

Support was very polite and quick to Refund.

They did ask if I would write back with comments or features needed ... would just have to find time for that.

I'm always watching any products that handle A/B functions. I am meticulous in my Gain Staging, and a tool that can make
it more efficient is what I look for.

For now, TBPro has the best solution for me at this time ... and there are things that I don't care for with it ... but the basic functions
I need, it handles.

I'll be watching how Perception advances ... and if things align right ... who knows.
Totally respect that.

What got me was when he gang bunched every channel and did the gain matching.
I thought that was special. I don't mind waiting a few secs.

And just A/B ing the entire mix to hear the processing, I thought that was nice. There are not a lot of plugins that can do that.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…