Quantcast
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now
Old 22nd April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWork8a ➡️
I posted the curve on the other long thread about 3 weeks ago (using Tokyo EQ M because of the nice EL Curve knob) but any EQ will work of course.
Oh nice! I wish I could just buy the VSX Software hahaha
Old 22nd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ear profile 'average' is the old '"1'"? Because nrg near field is clean as the previous 1 when I'm putting it in '"avg'".. Actually it got better than previous 1 i feel ! Someone who's got both legacy and new vsx version pls check n confirm ear profile
Old 23rd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashpmp ➡️
Ear profile 'average' is the old '"1'"? Because nrg near field is clean as the previous 1 when I'm putting it in '"avg'".. Actually it got better than previous 1 i feel ! Someone who's got both legacy and new vsx version pls check n confirm ear profile
Average default seems to be eq LH half way UP (compared to profile 1), while profile 2 is LH half way down (and profile 1 no eq). I assume that if you right click "average" and pick another frequency, it will boost the correspondind pick.
Old 23rd April 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Wow. I seriously thought I'd download 2.0 but just continue to use my favorite room/speaker. I mix almost exclusively on Archon Mid with the lows and highs bumped up a bit.

Steven's Barefoots sound nothing short of stunning. I used to find myself bumping up the low end on all of the NF and MF monitors cause they just sounded a bit bass shy to me. Especially compared to my A77X.

Stevens room just works and sounds amazing without EQ. I'm so happy with VSX, and I bought it thinking that they were probably overhyped. Wow was I happily proven wrong
Old 23rd April 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sonoma is my new favourite. I love the immediacy of the rather dry sound. I find this one the most pleasant and least fatiguing and also the easiest to judge the volume balance of the mix.

Thanks Steven for this great and free update.
Old 23rd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Steven, is the ear profile supposed to affect HD-Linear or is this a bug? It doesn't affect the other headphone models, which makes sense to me, but I'm curious why it would affect HD-Linear.
Old 23rd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone know the purpose of the founders edition?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 ➡️
Anyone know the purpose of the founders edition?
They were simply the first commercial production run. And a sticker on top
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircuit ➡️
They were simply the first commercial production run. And a sticker on top
Okay because I sold mine. might buy again simply for those audeze

Please share thoughts on the new headphone models
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 ➡️
Okay because I sold mine. might buy again simply for those audeze

Please share thoughts on the new headphone models
Never used any headphone emulation actually. They just sound different but can’t say they add anything valuable to mixing or to make the listening experience more pleasant.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircuit ➡️
Average default seems to be eq LH half way UP (compared to profile 1), while profile 2 is LH half way down (and profile 1 no eq). I assume that if you right click "average" and pick another frequency, it will boost the correspondind pick.
The way you said that is kind of confusing.

Here is the breakdown:

Profile 2 = Profile 1 with LH all the way down (-3dB @ 3500hz)

"Average" = Profile 1 with LH halfway down (-1.5dB @ 3500hz)

I have tiny ears and set mine on:

Profile "2.3" = Profile 2 with LH 1/3 down (-4dB @ 3500hz a compared to Profile 1)
Old 23rd April 2021
Oop
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The new update is awesome!! Steven's room Mid-field is just brilliant. It now makes the Archon Mids wooly lol. I think this room finally nailed the right distance for vocal presence and high frequency diffusion. The way the tails diffuse is perfect! The bass sounds a lot more stereo than the Archons as well.

I always felt the other emulations pushed vocals a bit too much into the image. Archons still sound amazing and it's a lot more of a dry sound.

I'm going to try Steven's room on a dialogue edit today!
Old 23rd April 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The more I listen to the Barefoots in Steven's room the more I'm amazed. I have one particular song in my Spotify reference playlist that I'm very familiar with the sound of. I just heard a bad vocal edit on it that I never noticed before. Crazy!! These are an absolute 100% game changer
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecarny ➡️
I just heard a bad vocal edit on it that I never noticed before. Crazy!!
It is precisely this kind of thing which (for me) proves they are valuable tools. I'm amazed at what they reveal – and that's the whole point of monitoring, no?

Bravo, Mr. Slate (and company).

Bravo.

bryan
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma ➡️
It is precisely this kind of thing which (for me) proves they are valuable tools. I'm amazed at what they reveal – and that's the whole point of monitoring, no?

Bravo, Mr. Slate (and company).

Bravo.

bryan
Precisely! My first thought was "what if that was my mix?" I'd wanna know! Very impressive.
Old 23rd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I might have missed this earlier ....
we now have a VST-3 format !!

no more container needed for HOFA DDP-Pro .... yeah !
Old 23rd April 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Excellent. Better than ever.
Old 23rd April 2021
Lives for gear

Very nice Update
Old 23rd April 2021
Lives for gear

Very nice Update
Old 23rd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This and weekend have arrived!
Old 23rd April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Great update!

Love the Proac's. What's been really useful to me is having an actual pair in front of me. I've been able to calibrate what I'm hearing through my speakers to my headphones with the new calibration options. And it's sooo close. It's weird really. But now I have consistency moving from speakers to headphones.

Only thing I'm missing are my subwoofers . Maybe an update some day could include a sub, as well as the ability to turn the sub off with the NS10's?!

Last edited by lunastus; 23rd April 2021 at 05:00 AM..
Old 23rd April 2021
I’m on busted cans waiting for the replacements (customer service was STELLAR on this) so they’re not fitting as tight as they should. I’m hearing Steven’s room to have considerably more mids in the midfield monitors than NRG. Anyone else make this comparison??
Old 23rd April 2021
Gear Nut

Thanks for the update!

Is there any plan providing sample audio files for a kind of environmental background noises? If I would listen to music in driving car on the highway, there is plenty noises. So I'm thinking some kind of background noises might emphisize more virtual reality to VSX listening.
Old 23rd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Update installed and working !

I decided I'm going to start all over with any personal setting changes, so I've been going through my Library of Reference Tracks.

Current back on Profile 1, and zero'd out any EQ. Just listening.

One question though ...

In SETTINGS there are 2 Options: HD-Linear 1 & 2

Currently using Option 1

What does this setting involve? ..as I look for the manual

Thanks

BTW ... Steven's Far Field ... very nice !
Here for the gear

I just wanna say the new update is by far mind blowning. Pretty much everything in Sienna is a joke compared to the new Steven Room added alone. It's so great. Anyone who has any doubts, seriously try it. Will report again eventually when I get done having fun listening and do a mix

Update - The intimacy and upfront mid sound of the nearfeilds in Sonoma are awesome. It really brings up to front sounds in songs that I always sometimes wondered about. Really awesome to hear it so clear
Old 23rd April 2021
Gear Addict

Steven, are there any plans to release an M1 version? I just tried it in Logic on my M1 Mac and the CPU level spiked :(
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
Update installed and working !

I decided I'm going to start all over with any personal setting changes, so I've been going through my Library of Reference Tracks.

Current back on Profile 1, and zero'd out any EQ. Just listening.

One question though ...

In SETTINGS there are 2 Options: HD-Linear 1 & 2

Currently using Option 1

What does this setting involve? ..as I look for the manual

Thanks

BTW ... Steven's Far Field ... very nice !

In the new update there is a second HD-linear headphone simulation (which sounds much better IMHO). The setting you asked about is when you hit the bypass button on the vsx gui (so no room simulation is applied) and the headphone are in linear mode if you want it to be the older linear mode or the new one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunastus ➡️
Great update!

Love the Proac's. What's been really useful to me is having an actual pair in front of me. I've been able to calibrate what I'm hearing through my speakers to my headphones with the new calibration options. And it's sooo close. It's weird really. But now I have consistency moving from speakers to headphones.

Only thing I'm missing are my subwoofers . Maybe an update some day could include a sub, as well as the ability to turn the sub off with the NS10's?!
The VSX L.A. Club room has subs..
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
The VSX L.A. Club room has subs..
Yeah it does, for days!

I meant specifically adding them to the proacs like what was done with the nrg ns10’s.

Steven’s actual room used to have this combo!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick._.Felix ➡️
Can't wait to get mine! One question for Steven, is there a way in the future to make the VSX with noise cancellation technology or would it not work at all? Just curious!
The absolute DREAM for non-loud location mixing would be noise cancelling self contained VSX headphones that has the software "built in" and could be controlled via iPhone/Android/tablet.

I'd pay top dollar for something like this!!

Also, congratulations on the great update!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…