Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now - Page 27 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxelius ➡️
Desperately trying to get my hands on a pair too. Did you preorder online or at some local shop? Thomann doesn't seem to have those even on preorder, Music Store gives July 12 for delivery. Any other places one should check?
Hi

Just ordered mine at sxpro (been watching the site for a few weeks) so for anyone looking to buy in the UK get in quick!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

@ Jrel

thanks, I'll definitely set mine up with your instructions when I get them.

I don't have a SPL meter so I downloaded 3 different ones on my phone for my current headphones and tested them. I have open backs and closed backs. It said a hairdryer is 80db and I used an hairdryer a foot away and it read 80db so I think their good enough at measuring.

I notice there's a 5 to 8 db decrease if u just try to measure the headphone without sealing it like you suggested, so I took my open headphones and put phone on one side and closed the other side with my closed headphones. Seems like my normal listening levels have been around 65 to 70 db (I never really listen loud anymore), I tried going up 85db but damn that's loud, I never listen to music that loud in headphones (unless my meter is reading wrong) I also can't stand movie theaters or rock concerts usually (very loud)

But I definitely noticed instruments and things opening up when at 75 to 80db, like being able to pinpoint things better.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
@ Aoharukano Yeah, definitely don't go to 85dB in headphones! I go up to 83 to 85 only on my studio monitors.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Maybe it has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread but the mono mixcube emulation in Steven's room is awesome for checking saturation/distortion on kick/snare. Very easy to hear if you've gone too far, if you want subtle, or just how far you can go if you want brutal crush. Great addition to the speaker collection.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just released my first VSX mixed track, pretty happy with it but each one I do I get better with I think: https://open.spotify.com/track/2KNFb...ecf53006974ffa
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Unbelievable though it may seem, not everyone has the Spotify app.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideByZero ➡️
It's life-changing. I had my ears professionally cleaned for the first time in 2004 and I still vividly remember being shocked by the cacophony of sound as I was putting my shirt back on - the fabric slipping over my head was like a raging hurricane. I had the newly-released 30th anniversary edition of Diamond Dogs for the ride home and it was as if I found a new Bowie album. I'd recommend everyone try it and see if they suddenly have superhero hearing.
I noticed this when I cut my hair short for the first time in my life. Even walking, it sounded like I was in a wind storm. Don't get me started on how loud riding my bike was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
The reason I brought this issue up originally was that some people—and I can't even remember specifics of who and what now—but some folks were expressing differences in their left and right ear perception, an imbalanced phantom center, etc. when wearing headphones. All I'm saying is... if you're having any inconsistencies and feel like your ears are very different from the average human, then at least take a look at earwax as a possible cause. It could literally be changing the size and response of your ear canal, which is what all the hullabaloo about VSX Profiles is about.
Interesting. I noticed a big dip around 7kHz in my left ear when sweeping around with both VSX and other headphones. I don't notice it in music, but it's very obvious when you sweep a sine wave. I hadn't considered it could be ear wax...
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Back in the original VSX thread I made a post describing my experience with long mix sessions using VSX. Specifically I was addressing my feelings on wearing headphones for long mix sessions compared to sitting at a mix desk with monitors and nothing on your head. For me the fatigue usually comes along the top of my head where the band for the headphones rests more so than on or in my actual ears. I mentioned in that thread that for me the ideal version of VSX would be paired to a set of custom molded in-ear monitors. As luck would have it my new IEMs for playing live dates arrived a couple days ago. When I play live I'm almost always the bassist, though occasionally the drummer, and as such I went with a set of 64 Audio N8 in-ear monitors. Wanting to see if my original VSX hypothesis had any merit I tried them in that application today. Admittedly they were more comfortable for me than the VSX headphones, which are honestly quite comfortable now that they're broken in. The problem is that the frequency response of the N8s does not match the VSX headphones which throws the system calibration all out of whack. Additionally the psycho-acoustic magic that VSX does seemed to be overly hyped in the IEMs which gave an impression of a larger space with the monitors further away compared to using the VSX headphones. None of this is surprising given that the two products were not designed for each other. I tried using an external EQ to get the two to match. I could get relatively close at one listening level, but when I increased or decreased from that point the EQ adjustments required would change. Maybe that's down to my own hearing or it might speak to how the VSX headphones, or any headphones/speakers, are dynamic in their frequency response relative to output level. Ultimately it proved that while the N8s are incredibly high quality IEMs, they're simply not compatible with VSX. I suspect not much is compatible with VSX aside from VSX headphones.

Steven: If you ever make a version of VSX headphones that can be built into a custom IEM I'll run out and get new ear canal impressions the same day.
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky Smoove ➡️
The problem is that the frequency response of the N8s does not match the VSX headphones which throws the system calibration all out of whack. Additionally the psycho-acoustic magic that VSX does seemed to be overly hyped in the IEMs which gave an impression of a larger space with the monitors further away compared to using the VSX headphones. None of this is surprising given that the two products were not designed for each other. I tried using an external EQ to get the two to match. I could get relatively close at one listening level, but when I increased or decreased from that point the EQ adjustments required would change.
Yeah I would never use another pair of headphones to MIX with the VSX plugin since it was calibrated especially to them.

However, for pleasure listening I'm really enjoying my Bose QC35 II's running through VSX with a Tokyo Slick EQ M (for the EL knob to get some Fletcher-Munson love) afterward to alter the freq response closer to VSX. Very nice.

And in other news, macOS audio routing app Blackhole fixed a nasty bug where it lost sync a lot. Much more solid now.
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
True. Most of the online distributors allow for uploading to multiple platforms, YouTube Music being one of them. It's always best to share both a premium music streaming link (Spotify, Apple, etc.) if you must, but also a YouTube link for anyone not using any of those premium streaming services.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
True. Most of the online distributors allow for uploading to multiple platforms, YouTube Music being one of them. It's always best to share both a premium music streaming link (Spotify, Apple, etc.) if you must, but also a YouTube link for anyone not using any of those premium streaming services.
I just use Amazon Music Unlimited HD as I get a decent deal with Prime Membership with the video stuff on it as well etc. so it seemed the better option in my position than the other platforms/services.
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
Good point... here's the youtube version:

📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…