Quantcast
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now
Old 22nd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you so much Steven ! My birthday is in 2 days and I could not be happier 😄
Old 22nd April 2021
Here for the gear

Steven's Private Mix Room becomes a leader. But I also realized that as an inexperienced "sound engineer" I needed a room like Sonoma Studio.
Old 22nd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
Hi, so the ear canal shape will influence the upper midrange level. For most people the default of 3.5khz will work best. But some people may have a slightly higher or lower center frequency that their ear canal is affecting, so we added this advanced feature. If you're not sure, leave it at default.

Cheers,
Steven
If I already setup my profile and eq so that it's perfect for me. Can i update without it changing how they sound, or will I need to dial things in again?

Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Amazing update thank you!! The Pcms sound gorgeous! I have to say that I also quite like the Sonoma Amphion two 18's!! Precise and clean! I also like very much that this update introduces speaker sets/rooms that are less bass heavy. Very useful. The proacs bottom end is very similar to my living room system (although a lot more precise).
Again, great update, lots of listening to do:-)

Ooh, and we need more favourite buttons, please! :-)

Edit: And Howie's Engineer sounds like it will be even more useful now. Haven't A/B with v1, but it's sounds like a great improvement!? And and and.... the binaural effect on the Auratone is incredible
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWork8a ➡️
I threw an EQ on my Bose QC-35 II's just for listening through the plugin (NOT mixing) and was able to get them close enough to my VSX pair to use the rooms for pleasure. Great stuff with noise reduction! Works perfectly!
Interesting! Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Steven, your room is the business!!

Sonoma's immediacy is what I'm used to hearing in my own room. Sounds very familiar.

Thank you for this massive update!
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I really need a detailed explanation for dummies like me as of what exactly is the deciding factor when choosing profile1, profile 2 or any of the average options...
They just sound different...there is no "bad" option...they just sound slightly darker or brighter...
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sonoma Midfield for acoustic music with sparse arrangements! Very promising!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Stranger ➡️
Steven's Private Mix Room becomes a leader.
Definitely. I've been using it lately for all my mastering and find the PMC's in that room to be a great alternative to Howie's.

The average profile has also been working out well. Great translation to everything I play my work on.
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
haaa - lol - Steven's room is pulling into the lead - not just amongst his rooms but for me - among NSXs etc. Would like to compare with sienna lol
Old 22nd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does VSX add latency?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut ➡️
I really need a detailed explanation for dummies like me as of what exactly is the deciding factor when choosing profile1, profile 2 or any of the average options...
They just sound different...there is no "bad" option...they just sound slightly darker or brighter...
The one you choose should be the one that gives you the flattest sounding response. If 1 is too bright, but 2 is too dull, you might be somewhere in the middle, thus choosing the average profile could be your best option, especially if you don't feel like making your own custom EQ tweaks.
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
In comparing Steven's room with Archon - are you comparing midfields - and same depth? I have depth about 2pm - Steve's room is winning - the new champ
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito ➡️
Thank you so much Steven ! My birthday is in 2 days and I could not be happier 😄
Happy pre-Birthday!! Mine is 3 days after yours. And I too couldn't be happier!!

Last edited by elbear98; 22nd April 2021 at 10:43 PM..
Old 22nd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It feels like all of the simulations have been subtly enhanced. All the rooms/speakers feel overall more realistic. Howie's is 'there' now, very fine vibe, I could produce here now. I can hear that the Sonoma Nearfields will be helpful to me in hearing the mid/high mid dynamics with great clarity.
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm making the comparisons only based on how 'good' they sound to me - I'd love to see any kind of comparisons based on the features they offer. For example - the 'measurements' the Audeze offer - I can't really see how they can measure accurately or even deep inside the ear (if that helps) from a phone pic. As far as the Siena goes - I can't compare as I can't even install it.
Great to see Slate improving all the time as they started so well - and from my experience have the best customer service.
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
For me - VSX - Steve's room - far field - ear profile 2 ( not sure if that's a new one) - best combo I have access to in my room - can't match it with my LCD-x or senn 600s.

Great work - what a treat to have access to this level of sound and groove through head phones!!!!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Make sure to listen to a few reference recordings and adjust that slider so it's the closest.

I'm about profile 2.3 so I took the slider all the way to 2, then reduced the LM knob in the EQ even further 1/3 of the way down. (I have super small ears.)
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick._.Felix ➡️
Interesting! Thanks!
I posted the curve on the other long thread about 3 weeks ago (using Tokyo EQ M because of the nice EL Curve knob) but any EQ will work of course.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
The one you choose should be the one that gives you the flattest sounding response. If 1 is too bright, but 2 is too dull, you might be somewhere in the middle, thus choosing the average profile could be your best option, especially if you don't feel like making your own custom EQ tweaks.
the problem is the word "too"...the bright one doesn't sound ear shattering
and the dark one isnt dull...even the average options just sound slightly different....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWork8a ➡️
Make sure to listen to a few reference recordings and adjust that slider so it's the closest.

I'm about profile 2.3 so I took the slider all the way to 2, then reduced the LM knob in the EQ even further 1/3 of the way down. (I have super small ears.)
Closest to what?..

How do I know if for "my ears" truly flat means slightly bright or slightly dull when no option sounds objectively bad?
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
OK...so I was not really that impressed when I bought it at first...there was something with the sound that bothered me and it didn't really matter which room or speakers I tried. A bit too cloggy and shrill generally.

But now!! Wow! This "average" setting made all the difference for me. Now there are several rooms and speakersetups that sounds just the way I think it should sound.

And the mono auratone is spooky good, every time I turn it on I have to take off headphones just to check that it's not a real monitor in my room playing

Will certainly use this much more from now.

/J
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
Hi, so the ear canal shape will influence the upper midrange level. For most people the default of 3.5khz will work best. But some people may have a slightly higher or lower center frequency that their ear canal is affecting, so we added this advanced feature. If you're not sure, leave it at default.
It might be time for a quick recap of how to tune things to ones ear canal.
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Love love love this update! The new rooms sound great! Thank you! HD Linear 2 is exactly what i silently wished for. With that top end lift i can hear dynamics better.
Steven's room is AMAZING! I'm going to spend a lot of time there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the problem is the word "too"...the bright one doesn't sound ear shattering
and the dark one isnt dull...even the average options just sound slightly different....

Closest to what?..

How do I know if for "my ears" truly flat means slightly bright or slightly dull when no option sounds objectively bad?
Using the average profile will probably be the safest bet in your situation.
Old 22nd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In case anyone's going crazy, the Ear Profile slider doesn't work in SoundSource, just like 2SPC, Depth, and the EQ. Works fine as a DAW plug-in or in Audio HiJack, though!
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Addict

Oh my - The new rooms are just excellent.

On a listening test tonight - Slate Midfields beat out the Archon mids, giving that perfect extra bass push but not going full FarField.

The Sonoma Amphions are probably the most perfectly balanced straight down the middle, easy to listen to and never over hyped.

The mixcube is perfect.

Very impressed!
Old 22nd April 2021
Lives for gear

A fresh thread! Just home from work and updated. Will report back in a bit!
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Steve's mix room - mid-field - - can't stop listening to this - going through my music collection. Woweee. Was always happy with vsx but now - whole new level .

Not talking from a mix engineer's point of view - but from the point of view of enjoying the tunes - just wow - wow - like an addict now lol - try another room and then click back
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgw5 ➡️
Steve's mix room - mid-field - - can't stop listening to this - going through my music collection. Woweee. Was always happy with vsx but now - whole new level .

Not talking from a mix engineer's point of view - but from the point of view of enjoying the tunes - just wow - wow - like an addict now lol - try another room and then click back
I agree - that one for me just seems to have an added 'depth of field' for me...more immersive.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Closest to what?..

That is subjective and why you must choose a recording you know extremely well, that you've heard on many different systems, so you can judge the right levels in HD Linear mode to make the tracks sound like you remember them.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…