Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

100% VSX mix & master:
Spotify Apple Music
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

@ sircuit :

This is what it has become. Thank you for setting me on the right path!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Going further than VSX, after the various posts of @ sircuit and the whole discussion about equing VSX, equing the output for each monitoring situation became a new paradigm for me.

This afternoon, I did an EQ preset for my Shure SE-215 listened trough my crappy portable headphone amp (this is my live set-up), and it's night and day !

As a matter of interest, the EQ points are more or less in the same area as the VSX ones (if you except some bass shelf and big 9k drop), so I think it's more about the ear canal than the gear in itself.

So I think each of us have a different perception of listening music through headphones, and each of us should at least try to adapt their monitoring situation to their own physiology : a simple EQ can make wonders, and the most critical area for a flat and precise piece of hardware like VSX seems to be between 2.5kHz and 4.5kHz.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

@ Evian @ Calagan - evaluate the settings weekly for a while, when you’re rested, just to make sure that they are indeed optimal for you. I found myself making little adjustments (mostly the q and gain) and now everything is settled nicely
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Cent ➡️
@ Steven Slate ,
I’ve been using VSX for the rooms mainly and skipped the headphone models mostly. But are there plans to model one of the HD800 family? I think I wouldn‘t buy a real one, since I have heard stories of cases where the cable was breaking and the (rather expensive) replacement cable was breaking, too. On the other hand the people using HD800s say that their soundstage is exceptional. Do you think that soundstage can be modeled with VSX?
The soundstage is indeed incredible and will let you hear the tiniest move in the stereo field, even just pushing the width a tad on a plug-in can be way more obvious than on speakers. However it's not always "ideal" for mixing due to the fact that things will appear more panned than they might actually sound on most listening devices. I mix with 800's a lot but still check everything on good speakers.

In any case, it would be pretty amazing if they end up being modelled really well with VSX.

Regarding the cable, the idea of it breaking is kinda weird, however I'd encourage anyone investing in headphones that expensive to buy a higher quality/shorter cable anyway. There are tons of options on eBay, from fairly affordable to very expensive.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircuit ➡️
100% VSX mix & master:
Spotify Apple Music
Nice!
Digging on Archon mains. Translates well to all the rooms.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTLAVGH ➡️
Nice!
Digging on Archon mains. Translates well to all the rooms.
Thank you! At that time I used pretty much only Howie's with additional checks in SUV and club. It was made pre-v2 launch.

Now I use Sonoma nears (the ProAcs) + Steve's fars for the low end check, and additional checks in Howie's, SUV and club.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you! At that time I used pretty much only Howie's with additional checks in SUV and club. It was made pre-v2 launch.

Now I use Sonoma nears (the ProAcs) + Steve's fars for the low end check, and additional checks in Howie's, SUV and club.
Yeah sounds great in Howie too, which is always the real test.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

I know I sound like a broken plugin, but VSX is simply huge. I have a lot of deadlines for a new video project that demands a slew of original cues in widely varying styles, and I am still building my (awesome but very involved) new studio space. I have no monitor speakers and have been working 100% in VSX for months.

2.0 makes VSX a full-featured, highly usable system for mix reference. I use nearly every pair of speakers, and in fact until last night didn't even bother setting up any favorites. (Sonora nears are my default composing/producing pair now so they're in #1 .) The results are stunning – I'd never been able to dial in spectral balance and stereo field like this before.

As experience with the system absorbs, I have gradually turned up the depth knob until I have it at nearly full now to get the full effect of the room sound. I find it essential for e.g. dialing in verb and delay levels correctly.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTLAVGH ➡️
Yeah sounds great in Howie too, which is always the real test.
Now that you have the reference set with VSX I think the real test is whatever else you have to play it - smartphone speaker, hifi speakers or whatnot. If the mix still delivers, then is safe to say it translates.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Should I preorder at one of those music sites or wait for it to go back in stock?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Drive ➡️
Good time to come out with a new plugin where they don't have to deal with all that.
Perhaps one that we've been waiting a handful of years for already.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Now that you have the reference set with VSX I think the real test is whatever else you have to play it - smartphone speaker, hifi speakers or whatnot. If the mix still delivers, then is safe to say it translates.
I use to double check all my VSX work on my main system, but ever since I started using 2.0, I don't even bother anymore. By the time I listen to anything over my smartphone speaker, I'm doing it for pure enjoyment, as I've already sent the work to my clients for approval. Zero translation issues. Zero!
Old 22 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash ➡️
I use to double check all my VSX work on my main system, but ever since I started using 2.0, I don't even bother anymore. By the time I listen to anything over my smartphone speaker, I'm doing it for pure enjoyment, as I've already sent the work to my clients for approval. Zero translation issues. Zero!
I'm sure it does translate but I guess is best practice and potential quirk-finder to check on non-VSX hardware, especially since we try to provide useful feedback.

Is awesome that we can listen on the hardware that was used to make the mix, so we can have a starting reference point and then when we move to other speakers is easier to assess if/how the translation holds.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yesterday VSX saved a clients mix from having the "sinewave bass nobody's ever going to hear except in a club" problem. I immediately identified the issue, applied some subtle 2nd harmonic distortion to it and was able to get the bass back inline with smaller speakers and headphones (the boombox and Sonoma nears where you could literally not hear the bass at all).

I then verified that the remedy actually worked in the real world by comparing it on my home computer monitor setup (a pair of those horrible Logitech Z120 speakers) and of course it worked perfectly.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Finally got a chance to mess around with the update and I have to say I am very impressed! Seems like they have upped their game as far as the capturing process or something because the new rooms feel more encompassing and real than the original ones to me
Old 17 hours ago
Here for the gear

If anyone is selling a pair, I'm interested in buying thanks!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…