Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Heavy! Even SSA ran out of units... rest assured anyone with a warranty replacement will be first in line. they sent mine out next day.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The headphone models (other than the HD Linear) hadn't really interested me before, but I have to say that the LCDs (especially the 4) have grown on me a lot.

I can't say if they're accurate or not, but they sound like a nice pair of high end consumer headphones, a nice little hype in the highs, etc. Definitely a useful place to check for translation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Still using the Sonora nears for my default composing/producing pair. I'm honestly surprised more users aren't chiming up here about them. The detail in the mids is so gorgeous, and they actually feel very linear in the lows (as far as they go), which means less tweaks when I check the low end in the other rooms.

2.0 is a huge upgrade that brings VSX from a very useful, amazingly innovative tool – to a complete mixing solution.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWork8a ➡️
Still using the Sonora nears for my default composing/producing pair. I'm honestly surprised more users aren't chiming up here about them.
We're at least two

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircuit ➡️
I still keep the same settings and get along great with the ProAcs.

I have a midi knob switching between the following rooms: ProAcs (they’re my “Avantone”, very clear, very revealing and yet pleasant to work long hours because they lack the powerful low end) then Steven’s fars, Howie’s Engineer, SUV, Club.
Gear Nut

Quote:
We're at least two
Ah yes! I am actually not totally up on all the speaker brands and models. Is there a complete list of what everything is on the website or anything?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ah yes! I am actually not totally up on all the speaker brands and models. Is there a complete list of what everything is on the website or anything?
Probably not, due to possible copyrights. What I remember:

Steven's: Barefoot Sound, PMC
Howie's: PMC
Sonoma: ProAc Studio 100 (Serban Ghenea's go-tos), Amphion
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Still using the Sonora nears for my default composing/producing pair. I'm honestly surprised more users aren't chiming up here about them. The detail in the mids is so gorgeous, and they actually feel very linear in the lows (as far as they go), which means less tweaks when I check the low end in the other rooms.
I find them really neutral sounding too, i like how it has a little more exaggerated low-mid transient punch compared to the others. In that respect that room sounds the closest to my own near-fields.

On headphones i have always mixed the transients too punchy, but incredibly this is not the case since VSX. Sonora is great to check that part.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_p ➡️
any update on when headphones will be ready for shipment? this is such a tease
Sweetwater called me to confirm that I still wanted my preorder. They said they are expecting a shipment to arrive at their warehouse late this week.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:

2.0 is a huge upgrade that brings VSX from a very useful, amazingly innovative tool – to a complete mixing solution.
I too am using sonoma proac100s for 80% of my work now, I find it leads me to the right decisions really easily.

Has that ns10 mid range resolution vibe that is so important I guess... really excellent
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are you guys who like the Proacs profile 1 people by any chance? I ask, as a profile 2 person who finds the proacs the brightest of all the monitors.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
Are you guys who like the Proacs profile 1 people by any chance? I ask, as a profile 2 person who finds the proacs the brightest of all the monitors.
I second that question. I'm a profile 2 as well and did not get along with them at first. They sounded a little too strident to me. I think I'm finally starting to get along with them, but it took a while
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Question for the MIDI Ninjas here: would it be possible to assign the Fav 5 buttons to a MIDI controller? I am a little clueless when it comes to stuff like that.
Here for the gear

Quote:
The site has all the information.
Steven Slate Audio VSX | Perfect Mixes Just Got Easier
Quote:

Steven's Private Mix Room
Step inside Steven’s private studio, complete with everything you’ll need to mix a hit record. This perfectly tuned medium-sized studio features a pair of modeled Barefoot MM27 midfields and PMC IBS-1S farfields that have been customized using a Trinnov system for phase accurate sound. Both sets of speakers are extremely revealing and will make it easy to hear the most intricate EQ and compression tweaks. Finally, the nearfield is a model of the classic mono Auratone speaker that will allow you to hear balances with ease, and help you make decisions for more consumer speakers like laptops and phones.

Sonoma Studio
This medium semi-dry studio lets you get intimate with every detail of your mixes. When you want to take a magnifying glass to your midrange frequencies, use the modeled ProAc Studio 100s nearfields to clean up any midrange mud and get your vocal balance spot on. Then use the Trinnov tuned Amphion Two18 midfield emulations which have incredible clarity, depth, and the perfect amount of transient punch to get a full mix perspective.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
FWIW anecdotally, I did a reference mix (not a final, thankfully) mainly in the Sonoma room to get to know it... both sets of speakers.

The mix came out dark and dull up top, and good thing I had to do some edits, anyway, and got a chance to re-do it.

So, for me the ProAcs especially are coming off bright at the moment, and I will need further time to adjust to find them useful.

I am of the camp of not too interested in trying to chase elaborate, custom EQ settings for each room beyond a mild global tweak. I feel that largely negates the point of VSX. I believe trying to conform each room individually to your specific ear curve or perception of what is “good sound” is misguided. You don’t walk into Capitol or Ocean Way and EQ their monitors to your taste... you learn the room (and quickly) or step aside for someone who knows it. You'll have to take my word for it (or not), but practically all of these name rooms are far from perfect... I've worked in many of them. In fact, some are downright difficult rooms if you haven't spent the time and $$ getting to know them.

VSX allows you a very close approximation to find a few rooms you might like and have the opportunity to book time into at your leisure 24/7. What a luxury! You get the time to learn the room at your own pace without the clock running on you.

I respect everyone’s process to get where they are trying to go, don’t get me wrong; but I do feel that some might be over-complicating matters and maybe even scaring some readers a bit. It’s not something you are obligated to fix for yourself if you don’t want to... it’s not broken. VSX works great already.

I believe several weeks (or maybe longer) of living with high-quality reference tracks and really getting to know the various rooms and speakers is critical. In fact, you can’t really cheat it. I’m not so sure that everyone is really doing the necessary work. Frankly, it took me the better part of 2 months of intense reference listening to learn my way around v1.

IMHO, some of you are actually qualified to dig into elaborate tweakings of your monitor path. But let’s be honest— many people here don’t have the slightest idea of what good sound really is, or what a useful mix room should even sound like (notice I didn’t say perfect and enjoyable). They don’t have access to good rooms, and that’s why they are here. So, there has to be an element of trust in the design; and if you don’t have that, then maybe VSX is not for you.

I’m sure VSX will continue to improve, as Howie’s room seemed to do for me. Fantastic! Take that for what it is. But part of the challenge—and fun—is training your ears to hear through the imperfections and differences of the various setups to be able to create a mix that sounds good on all imperfect playback systems.

Just another opinion in a sea of them...

Last edited by robshrock; 1 week ago at 11:37 AM.. Reason: clarity
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Mork ➡️
Question for the MIDI Ninjas here: would it be possible to assign the Fav 5 buttons to a MIDI controller? I am a little clueless when it comes to stuff like that.
No, there is no midi input in VSX app (nothing can be mapped). I made it with BC Patchwork hosting 8 instances (in parallel) and selecting via midi one of them. Ableton can do it with racks, Reaper probably has some wizardry for the task, for Cubase you'd need Patchwork, for PT no idea
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
But part of the challenge—and fun— is training your ears to hear through the imperfections and differences of the various setups to be able to create a mix that sounds good on all imperfect playback systems.
Very well put Sir.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am of the camp of not too interested in trying to chase elaborate, custom EQ settings for each room beyond a mild global tweak. I think that largely negates the point of VSX. I think trying to conform a room to your specific ear curve or perception of what is “good sound” is misguided. You don’t walk into Capitol or Ocean Way and EQ their monitors to your taste... you learn the room (and quickly) or step aside for someone who knows it.
there is no right or wrong in all this but I'm very much of the same opinion, mainly because I think there is already plenty of 'variables' that effect the quality of the result and accuracy of those rooms (VSX's EQ, ear profiles, position of headphones on your head, individuals head shape and ear canal) - why throw more variables into the mix?

I really don't understand stacking room emulations on top of room emulations and adding extra EQ in the mix too. I'd personally rather just use different headphones than VSX if they needed 3rd party stuff to make them usable. BUT... everyone has their own way of doing stuff. some people like to buy expensive mics then swap out the capsule, I say buy a new mic! but its all good.

Been taking a break from using/learning my VSX to get some work done - looking forward to hearing v2 though
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➡️
why throw more variables into the mix?
Well you actually don't with eq IMHO. If I have absolutely perfect commercial mixes that sound wrong to my ears in some VSX rooms, and that EQ tweak makes them sound perfect again, then I actually removed some of the confusion.

If a perfect mix sounds weird in a certain room, what feedback can I get from that room anymore? How wrong should my music sound? That's confusing AF.

As things stand right now, I start with ProAc to balance the 100-10K Hz. When I switch to Steven's PMCs I should only hear differently just bass and top end extension - if something changes too much in the mids or highs get piercing, then I have a problem and I can fix it (of course I can properly assess and adjust the low end in these speakers). Next, I switch from Steven PMC's to Howie's PMCs: it should be no noticeable difference. If there is, that's a big signal for investigation. Then move to the SUV: is the mix still holding together? good, let's move to the club - still no mud, just punch and nice subs? excellent. In this way, every room has it's use and together they all give useful feedback.

Otherwise, with Howie's sound in its own weird way, the ProAcs in their own weird way and so on, it would take me permanently to go to a reference song to identify if the weirdness in the reference is the same as in my song, and that's tiring.

The thing is: these people we have their studios in VSX, they only have those speakers, they know very well their character/kinks. So with no eq we either have the option to pick a room and stay only with it, either to use them all and permanently reference those weirdnesses to be sure we're in the same spot (not more, not less). Finally, with eq I can bring some sense of cohesiveness between all the rooms (after all they are top of the world speakers) and make them work together.

Of course what works for someone may not work for someone else, experimentation is key
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well you actually don't with eq IMHO. If I have absolutely perfect commercial mixes that sound wrong to my ears in some VSX rooms, and that EQ tweak makes them sound perfect again, then I actually removed some of the confusion.
But surely those 'perfect' mixes just sound how they would sound in real life in those rooms on those speakers? are you not subconsciously just giving yourself a more pleasant listening experience that closer matches your own taste?

Totally just a question btw (not looking to provoke or judge I promise )
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED ➡️
But surely those 'perfect' mixes just sound how they would sound in real life in those rooms on those speakers? are you not subconsciously just giving yourself a more pleasant listening experience that closer matches your own taste?

Totally just a question btw (not looking to provoke or judge I promise )
Those perfect mixes (talking about Serban Ghenea, dance music, punch, powerful lows, clear midrange, no harshness in the high end) translate in all devices I have at my disposal

neumann monitors, cheap samson monitors, sony consumer 2-way speakers, on small bose portable, one big bose portable, sennheiser headphones, sennheiser earbuds, apple earbuds, apple pro earbuds, old macbookspeakers, new macbook speakers, iphone x

exactly how I previoulsy described:

each device reproduces the spectrum to it's own capability, but none of them (except maybe the sennheiser buds that are sibilant) is too strong at a given frequency point. Samson speakers sound at their best without any overpowering frequency - they only lack transient accuracy and dynamics - same for Sony. None of them will (falsely) indicate that Serban's mix has a problem.

In VSX I had false signals and lately (after eq-ing) seem to be less of them.

My philosophy is the following: there's no issue a room should reveal anymore in a Serban mix. If I hear a flaw, that's the room, not the mix. And is more confusing when I hear a flaw in a Serban mix in ProAcs, then another flaw in Howie's. I see no point in learning those flaws, I'd rather EQ and know that I only need to make it sound good.

This is my eq for Howie's by the way:
Attached Thumbnails
Steven Slate Audio VSX 2.0 Available Now-howeis.png  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those perfect mixes (talking about Serban Ghenea, dance music, punch, powerful lows, clear midrange, no harshness in the high end) translate in all devices I have at my disposal

neumann monitors, cheap samson monitors, sony consumer 2-way speakers, on small bose portable, one big bose portable, sennheiser headphones, sennheiser earbuds, apple earbuds, apple pro earbuds, old macbookspeakers, new macbook speakers, iphone x

each device reproduces the spectrum to it's own capability, but none of them (except maybe the sennheiser buds that are sibilant) is too strong at a given frequency point. Samson speakers sound at their best without any overpowering frequency - they only lack transient accuracy and dynamics - same for Sony. None of them will (falsely) indicate that Serban's mix has a problem.

My philosophy is the following: there's no issue a room should reveal anymore in a Serban mix. If I hear a flaw, that's the room, not the mix. And is more confusing when I hear a flaw in a Serban mix in ProAcs, then another flaw in Howie's. I see no point in learning those flaws, I'd rather EQ and know that I only need to make it sound good.

Still sounds a bit like you are just taking shortcut to learning those rooms and just making them sound better to your taste? All your current references are in your specific room (although for all I know you are in and out of a handful of other studios all day).

Its good you found a way to move forwards though, and if it works for you then it just works full stop I guess.

I stopped using my VSX a few months ago because I was busy and getting quicker results from my fairly flat AKG K371's - and because I had a odd issue where I was mixing my kick drums in Archon way WAY too loud (a problem I've literally never had before, ever - or since). Am looking forward to revisiting VSX soon when I have more free time spare and taking more time to learn to use it though, esp now v2 is out.
Gear Maniac

As you can see from your own experience, you simply abandoned vsx entirely. I chose to "optimize" it
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
FWIW anecdotally, I did a reference mix (not a final, thankfully) mainly in the Sonoma room to get to know it... both sets of speakers.

The mix came out dark and dull up top, and good thing I had to do some edits, anyway, and got a chance to re-do it.

So, for me the ProAcs especially are coming off bright at the moment, and I will need further time to adjust to find them useful.

I am of the camp of not too interested in trying to chase elaborate, custom EQ settings for each room beyond a mild global tweak. I feel that largely negates the point of VSX. I believe trying to conform each room individually to your specific ear curve or perception of what is “good sound” is misguided. You don’t walk into Capitol or Ocean Way and EQ their monitors to your taste... you learn the room (and quickly) or step aside for someone who knows it. You'll have to take my word for it (or not), but practically all of these name rooms are far from perfect... I've worked in many of them. In fact, some are downright difficult rooms if you haven't spent the time and $$ getting to know them.

VSX allows you a very close approximation to find a few rooms you might like and have the opportunity to book time into at your leisure 24/7. What a luxury! You get the time to learn the room at your own pace without the clock running on you.

I respect everyone’s process to get where they are trying to go, don’t get me wrong; but I do feel that some might be over-complicating matters and maybe even scaring some readers a bit. It’s not something you are obligated to fix for yourself if you don’t want to... it’s not broken. VSX works great already.

I believe several weeks (or maybe longer) of living with high-quality reference tracks and really getting to know the various rooms and speakers is critical. In fact, you can’t really cheat it. I’m not so sure that everyone is really doing the necessary work. Frankly, it took me the better part of 2 months of intense reference listening to learn my way around v1.

IMHO, some of you are actually qualified to dig into elaborate tweakings of your monitor path. But let’s be honest— many people here don’t have the slightest idea of what good sound really is, or what a useful mix room should even sound like (notice I didn’t say perfect and enjoyable). They don’t have access to good rooms, and that’s why they are here. So, there has to be an element of trust in the design; and if you don’t have that, then maybe VSX is not for you.

I’m sure VSX will continue to improve, as Howie’s room seemed to do for me. Fantastic! Take that for what it is. But part of the challenge—and fun—is training your ears to hear through the imperfections and differences of the various setups to be able to create a mix that sounds good on all imperfect playback systems.

Just another opinion in a sea of them...
Great stuff Mr Shrock, I have moved from profile 2 with eq to average profile and then decided that can’t be me !
So have moved back to my original profile 1 with the very minuscule BManic eq settings and am gonna stick with that on this version 2 update. All seems good with what I am referencing to.

So yes I am going to learn the rooms and sound with how it is!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

You're making a lot of assumptions. First, that an anomaly that you perceive to be a "flaw" in a Serban mix introduced solely by a VSX room emulation actually is something that would not be present in that actual room IRL. How do you know that? You're assuming the model and real room don't sound the same so the emulation is flawed based on, what, your experience with a certain speaker model in a different setting or what you read that Serban uses?

Are you saying that to you the Serban mixes sound good on the various cheap references, but bad only in VSX? Or just different in each room? Because to me, a great Serban mix (or any great mix) also sounds great in each VSX room, yet certainly different from speaker set to speaker set and room. Therein lies the benefit.

As I mention earlier in this thread, listen to Fleetwood Mac "Dreams (2004 remaster)" in all the rooms. It's uncanny how almost identical all the speakers sound with that mix. When my personal mix changes drastically from room-to-room and doesn't sound good everywhere, it's a reflection of my mix, not the rooms and speakers in VSX... no matter how much I'd like to change the room to make my mix sound better. =^)

Also, you are assuming that your ear curve is somehow relevant to everyone else. I don't intend to be rude, but it isn't. Certainly not to me. It would appear your ear curve is rather extreme; but I have no evidence of what you would think being in RAK Studio One or EastWest or... Archon or Sonoma or Slate's room. Maybe you would hate those and say they're wrong according to some Serban Ghenea mix? How do we know?

If you've got a bizarre ear canal response so that ear buds and MacBook speakers can ever sound ok to you, that's your business. Do what you gotta do to make yourself comfortable personally and get the job done, sincerely.

I'm just making the point that someone else may go through an extraordinary amount of EQ tweaking outside the plugin only to not actually make things better... just different. (How many times have we all done that?) But now all point of reference with other VSX users is lost, so how do they actually know it's better?

Another point is that we can both sit in Steven's room and listen to the same Barefoots virtually and discuss what we are hearing. We both may not like it to the same degree, but that's OK. That's how it works in the real world, too. But not if you blow up the process entirely. Yes, tweak the headphones a bit based on your profile as we learn more about this and to accommodate the fact that there are tiny speakers an inch from your ears. After all, we aren't really sitting in a room.

But you aren't fixing a flawed product by coming up with some unique hack with 16dB EQ cuts. You're just taking an existing tool and tinkering with it to your personal liking... great. There's a long history of people doing that, especially in audio. But I might not like or agree with your amp mod or microphone capsule swap. It's just a tool, and no tool is perfect. There is a reasonable amount of EQ tuning available within the plugin already, in addition to the Depth knob. And v2 hasn't even been out long enough to really know it thoroughly yet. What it sounds like to me you're actually saying is that VSX doesn't go far enough between the existing EQ, Depth knob and strict QC for consistent hardware headphones to create a level listening experience for everyone, especially those with extreme, shall we say, ear curves.

OK, point taken. But I'm saying that the need for extreme EQ outside of VSX is likely an outlier position. And anyone following in your footsteps should do so cautiously.

Disappointment comes from unmet expectations. I think expecting VSX to be a perfect virtual reality studio emulation that is flawless is, well, naive. But it's a helluva hammer if you learn how to swing it.

For the record, the assumption that Serban mixes are "perfect" is certainly also a matter of taste. Not everyone would agree with that standard as the definition of a perfect mix to use as an ultimate reference. Certainly worthy, and I greatly admire Serban and John's body of work; but I don't think the AC or Indie or classical or metal or country crowds would unanimously agree to that as an ultimate reference standard. It's all just music, and tastes are infinite.
Lives for gear

Quote:
As you can see from your own experience, you simply abandoned vsx entirely. I chose to "optimize" it
not at all - read my post again... I put it aside until I could give it the attention it deserved, and I shall pick it up with fresh ears when I have time to learn it properly. which is what suits me.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No, there is no midi input in VSX app (nothing can be mapped). I made it with BC Patchwork hosting 8 instances (in parallel) and selecting via midi one of them. Ableton can do it with racks, Reaper probably has some wizardry for the task, for Cubase you'd need Patchwork, for PT no idea
Thanks for clarifying!

Then MIDI input would be very welcome in addition to a little Fav5 window. I’m actually okay with switching rooms via GUI, but I am looking for a way to quickly switch to the Auratone. Hmm, I could set up a second monitor aux in PT, but MIDI control would be cool. Maybe there is a way in Eucon?

Edit: Just because I am so hyped about it - for me the Auratone is a weapon for a growling and driving bass guitar that grooves with the drums. Get it fat and groovy on there and do the actual low end on your favorite full range system.
Gear Maniac

I'm going to give a shorter reply: I never, ever said that my ear curve is relevant. I rather said exactly the opposite: "if you find certain rooms weird, it can be better". That's it. (edit) people succeded: some liked eq applied, some didn't like the eq and reverted - and that's fine. At least each one of them explored the path and they have their answer.

I said that Serban mixes sound bad in some rooms, not in all rooms. Take The Weeknd - Blinding Light in ProAcs VSX. Now Serban himself uses ProAcs, and that song (the snare especially) blows away my ears in VSX ProAcs. This is not a matter of taste - is as objective as it can be (on a very subjective topic though).

Also I mention Serban because I want everyone to know from the start what aesthetic I follow. We need a bit of referece otherwise we are just writing words and we're left with nothing useful.

So if you or anyone else don't like Serban, or can't use it as reference, please do ignore my posts - that's the whole point, I didn't said anything when you mentioned Fletwood before because from a strictly practical point of view I don't care, is not my genre. It may sound perfect with VSX but I want Serban's to sound consistently good across all rooms because in real life, in different environments, his mixes do sound consistently good (up to each speaker's ability) on all music listening devices and is the music I primarily make. I don't care for classical music because I don't make classical music and when I listen to it, I use the speakers.

I think we should post even more references and how/what we perceive them, that would be really productive, instead of just "VSX rocks" or "VSX sux" kind of statements.
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm profile 2.3 and love them. I agree they're the pretty much the brightest
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

There's alot of talk about EQing the rooms and people hearing phasey issues and this not translating well recently, while I have also seen posts saying the exact opposite it making mixes the best they've had, sounds just like same monitors and such.

Does everyone need to manually create their own "ear profile" somehow to be sure they are benefiting from this emulation software the most?

If stevens ear heard all the rooms perfectly, and there was no problems with the emulations and recordings, then shouldn't we only have to do one global EQ curve to match our ear to headphone, then all rooms should sound like they were intended?

Headphone mixing has always been complicated lol
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by konokoknk ➡️
Does everyone need to manually create their own "ear profile" somehow to be sure they are benefiting from this emulation software the most?
The official answer is no, the software includes the needed controls for the vast majority of users. The answer was the same when no profiles existed. Then the same answer with profile 2 introduced. Then the same in VSX 2.0 with an additional average profile with extra frequencies to pick from.

My personal take is that all these are (as the name implies) "averages" and as they gather more data they find more and more variations, they average the variations and introduce them as "profiles".

I decided to completely disable eq-ing inside VSX (no profile, no EQ) and use my own custom EQ (obtained from reliable - for me - reference songs) and careful critical listening. I have achieved a great success, all the rooms sound awesome while still being flaw-revealing.

I also don't recommend anyone to try this.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…