Softube unveils the Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube unveils the Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Softube is the first Juno plugin I've heard that's able to do preset B35 "Tomita" in a way that sounds even remotely like the real synth.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi ➡️
How do you guys handle the original Juno 106 having no MIDI Velocity nor Aftertouch ?
What do you mean? Don't use it for parts that need velocity or aftertouch. Never been an issue. Or I guess if you'd like you can now get the Softube to cover that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou ➡️
What do you mean? Don't use it for parts that need velocity or aftertouch. Never been an issue. Or I guess if you'd like you can now get the Softube to cover that.
I mentioned before that I prefer how my Komplete M32 reacts compared to my Roland A800 Pro. Even at fixed velocities. Different keybeds. The original Juno had no MIDI velocity nor aftertouch. I would like to hear about experiences with different MIDI controllers and how the Softube 84 reacts to different keybeds.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Playing an emulation with fixed velocity is often key to a vintage experience.
Surely Juno's Jupiters and Prophets did not have velocity sensitivity.
So disable it on your midi source.

Unless you want to Jordan Rudenize like a Vangelist tender expressionist.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
So. wItch was witch ?
First up: Softube
Second: Cherry Audio
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk ➡️
The Softube is the first Juno plugin I've heard that's able to do preset B35 "Tomita" in a way that sounds even remotely like the real synth.
Nice. I'll see if I can get the System-8 version to sound like it.

Love Tomita!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi ➡️
This is good advice. While I appreciate (and often make use of) the ability to use velocity in emulations of classic synths, it's worth remembering the original synths didn't have it and sometimes it's better not to! The System-8 has a Velocity Off button for this reason.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
This is good advice. While I appreciate (and often make use of) the ability to use velocity in emulations of classic synths, it's worth remembering the original synths didn't have it and sometimes it's better not to! The System-8 has a Velocity Off button for this reason.
Actually something I always look for in a controller.
M32 has that easily frontpanneled.
I more often want velocity disabled than activated personally.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, I made the same preset with the Juno-106 plugin. This is a good patch to test the capabilities of any Juno-106 emulation. It doesn't use the DCO or noise — just a sine wave generated by turning up the filter resonance into self-oscillation.

To my ears, the Roland version sounds pretty much exactly the same until you get up to about C6, where it sounds a touch duller due to what I'm sure is the anti-aliasing filter. What's interesting is once you get up to C7, they sound the same again, either because Softube's anti-aliasing filter has kicked in by that point, or that's past the point where my own (40-something) ears start to roll off. Probably both!

Anyway, with the exception of the AA cutoff kicking in a few notes later, I think they sound pretty close to identical. I'm out of time for today, but I can post some audio clips tomorrow. In the meantime, anyone who has both Roland Cloud (or a System-8) and the Softube version can try it out.
Attached Files
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Unless you want to Jordan Rudenize like a Vangelist tender expressionist.
As I mentioned already I prefer the Komplete M32 to my Roland 800 Pro at a fixed velocity. Two different sounding Junos from my experience.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Okay, I made the same preset with the Juno-106 plugin. This is a good patch to test the capabilities of any Juno-106 emulation. It doesn't use the DCO or noise — just a sine wave generated by turning up the filter resonance into self-oscillation.

To my ears, the Roland version sounds pretty much exactly the same until you get up to about C6, where it sounds a touch duller due to what I'm sure is the anti-aliasing filter. What's interesting is once you get up to C7, they sound the same again, either because Softube's anti-aliasing filter has kicked in by that point, or that's past the point where my own (40-something) ears start to roll off. Probably both!

Anyway, with the exception of the AA cutoff kicking in a few notes later, I think they sound pretty close to identical. I'm out of time for today, but I can post some audio clips tomorrow. In the meantime, anyone who has both Roland Cloud (or a System-8) and the Softube version can try it out.
Did ya tried the plugout version or zeno expansion for that ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Somehow I like the Softube version more. 99,- and no cloud!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Please post your preset! I was unable to get anything that sounded good using Roland cloud juno, like I said.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This velocity argument. There is always the option of becoming better controlled at playing evenly with velocity rather than dynamically if that's what you're after. Just saying lol

People today don't spend enough time learning their instruments and want computers to fix it for them lol.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Now make the jupiter 4 or 6
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ass****
All in the name of good fun.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 ➡️
This velocity argument. There is always the option of becoming better controlled at playing evenly with velocity rather than dynamically if that's what you're after. Just saying lol

People today don't spend enough time learning their instruments and want computers to fix it for them lol.
I am speaking about how the plugin interacts with the physical action of a MIDI device. Which separates it from its competition I think. I wasn´t convinced of the plugin on my Roland 800.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi ➡️
I mentioned before that I prefer how my Komplete M32 reacts compared to my Roland A800 Pro. Even at fixed velocities. Different keybeds. The original Juno had no MIDI velocity nor aftertouch. I would like to hear about experiences with different MIDI controllers and how the Softube 84 reacts to different keybeds.
OK, thought you were asking generally about the original 106.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did ya tried the plugout version or zeno expansion for that ?
I used my System-8, so it’s the ACB version. After finishing it I sent it over to the plugin to export it. The ABM (Zenology, Jupiter-X/Xm, etc.) version is pretty decent, but not quite on par with the ACB or Softube versions. Probably worth trying though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please post your preset! I was unable to get anything that sounded good using Roland cloud juno, like I said.
Oops, forgot to attach. It's now attached to that post.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Am i the only one wanting softube take on a really deeply emulated tr 808 with extra features ...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am i the only one wanting softube take on a really deeply emulated tr 808 with extra features ...
If they ever decide to upgrade Heartbeat to allow swapping out the individual drum sounds, I could see this being worthwhile from Softube's PoV in that you could load the individual drum sounds from various classic drum machines into the slots and build your own custom machine. They seem to be into the whole cross-product synergy thing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If they ever decide to upgrade Heartbeat to allow swapping out the individual drum sounds, I could see this being worthwhile from Softube's PoV in that you could load the individual drum sounds from various classic drum machines into the slots and build your own custom machine. They seem to be into the whole cross-product synergy thing.
My experience with Softube and especially heartbeat (been using it for years) is that once they release a plugin, they don’t substantially update it. Some plugins for a GUI refresh. Modular for an updated preset mechanism.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
At this point I’m curious to hear anything. Their emulations are excellent!

But it would be more interesting to hear something more rare or something that hasn’t been emulated that well. Thinking EML 101, Korg PS-3300, Yamaha CS-80/60 or 70m, Roland Jupiter-4, Rhodes Chroma, Oberheim Matrix-12/Xpander, Octave-Plateau Voyetra-8, SCI Prophet VS, EMS VCS3... some of these would be really cool modules in modular as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would like to see the Juno 60. Should be easier to approximate after their experience with the 106.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I sort of dislike the Roland cloud and this was just too beautiful to not buy
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have compared the plugin with my hardware Roland MKS-7 and the sound is almost the same! There is a little difference in the PWM and Noise floor but otherwise almost identical.
Great job Softube!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj ➡️
At this point I’m curious to hear anything. Their emulations are excellent!

But it would be more interesting to hear something more rare or something that hasn’t been emulated that well.
Definitely this. I hate to admit it but I'm fine with using 808 samples. There's a LONG list of more interesting things to emulate before I would encourage them to circle back to do a tr-808.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely this. I hate to admit it but I'm fine with using 808 samples. There's a LONG list of more interesting things to emulate before I would encourage them to circle back to do a tr-808.
Yeah, would much rather they spend their time doing something that hasn't been done (well).

Samples are perfectly fine for the TR machines…maybe even preferable, since they're usually processed to sound great. I bought all three TR-0x boutiques because they're fun to play with and look cool, but if I just want to use the sounds in an ideal form without spending time tweaking them, I'm fine with just using one of the sampled sets in Ableton Live or Maschine.
Old 1 week ago
Personally, I'd prefer they fix the GUI resizing and blurry text/image of all their back catalogue before moving on to a new plugin. Take DS-1 Mk3, for example, such a wasted oportunity with the constraints of 2u rack dimensions. Terrible design choice for a plugin.

if they sort that out, I'd like to see them tackle something like CS-80, or 60 or some such behemoth synth..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…