The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
I think my basic point still stands: BFD has a future with InMusic and would've likely had none with Roli.

This is my first time [at least knowingly] dealing with InMusic (can honestly say I hadn't even heard of them prior to them acquiring BFD) so I just don't have any negativity built up towards them. So my only experience has really been "well, they're giving BFD life, which I'm thrilled about - even if the launch was a little rough and support page kinda sucks."
maybe but that's not normally InMusic's 'modus operandi'. They tend to buy failed/failing companies and milk their IP as much as they can without spending ANY money on future development.

Historically it's been more of a kiss of death than a lifeline.....look at their product roster...I rest my case.

I hope I'm wrong

EDIT

I think, at this point, you'd have to be slightly foolish to buy into the BFD product line expecting future development. Just spend that same money on some Toontrack stuff and be happy
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange ➡️
maybe but that's not normally InMusic's 'modus operandi'. They tend to buy failed/failing companies and milk their IP as much as they can without spending ANY money on future development.

Historically it's been more of a kiss of death than a lifeline.....look at their product roster...I rest my case.

I hope I'm wrong

EDIT

I think, at this point, you'd have to be slightly foolish to buy into the BFD product line expecting future development. Just spend that same money on some Toontrack stuff and be happy
Drew's been in this very thread talking about that BFD is very much alive with plans for the future. No offense, but I think I'll trust that the "BFD Drums Product Manager," who I've known and interacted with frequently going back more than a decade (since the FXPansion days), has more insight into BFD's future and InMusic's plan for the brand than you do.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Drew's been in this very thread talking about that BFD is very much alive with plans for the future. No offense, but I think I'll trust that the "BFD Drums Product Manager," who I've known and interacted with frequently going back more than a decade (since the FXPansion days), has more insight into BFD's future and InMusic's plan for the brand than you do.
of course, you should make up your own mind and no offence taken (and please don't take it personally I'm not attacking you !)

I wouldn't expect Drew to say anything else...and I've been with BFD since Day One... with Skot and Angus...as I say, I hope I'm wrong...... time will tell, but it's not been a great relaunch so far has it ?

edit:

btw did you look at the other brands that InMusic bought or is your reaction just down to your belief in Drew ?
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
of course, you should make up your own mind and no offence taken (and please don't take it personally I'm not attacking you !)

I wouldn't expect Drew to say anything else...and I've been with BFD since Day One... with Skot and Angus...as I say, I hope I'm wrong...... time will tell, but it's not been a great relaunch so far has it ?

edit:

btw did you look at the other brands that InMusic bought or is your reaction just down to your belief in Drew ?
I recognize the brand names (Akai, Alesis, Denon, M-Audio, Marantz, Numark, Sonivox) but I honestly don't have products from them so I don't keep up with who's actively making stuff. Like, Akai is still around and making stuff right? Would I blame them for killing Alesis or M-Audio? I haven't been following closely but my assumption is those brands were already long dead or on their last legs and InMusic was likely buying them for other purposes (like intellectual property), which would be fine with me if so. Happens all the time. Whereas we know BFD is actively being developed because we're seeing it right now.

But again, I haven't been playing close attention. If they were buying active, healthy companies and shuttering them to turn a quick buck, then I'd be annoyed. I just don't have enough information about that if it did happen. And we can see it's not happening here because we've already got a new BFD update!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I recognize the brand names (Akai, Alesis, Denon, M-Audio, Marantz, Numark, Sonivox) but I honestly don't have products from them so I don't keep up with who's actively making stuff. Like, Akai is still around and making stuff right? Would I blame them for killing Alesis or M-Audio? I haven't been following closely but my assumption is those brands were already long dead or on their last legs and InMusic was likely buying them for other purposes (like intellectual property), which would be fine with me if so. Happens all the time. Whereas we know BFD is actively being developed because we're seeing it right now.

But again, I haven't been playing close attention. If they were buying active, healthy companies and shuttering them to turn a quick buck, then I'd be annoyed. I just don't have enough information about that if it did happen. And we can see it's not happening here because we've already got a new BFD update!
I can't see anything I personally disagree with there.

Maybe it's worth asking where BFD (not substantially updated for many years) fits into that picture ?

And yes, we got an update - which broke many, many things and fixed .....errrr.....nothing as far as I can see ?
Lives for gear

Quote:

InMusic's brand names still have product but that's about it. What good is product without support? For example the Air Music stuff they bought. There were bugs when Avid sold the stuff off that have never been fixed all these years later. Benign neglect would be a good term to use. InMusic does no development or bug fixing of product.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think my basic point still stands: BFD has a future with InMusic and would've likely had none with Roli.

This is my first time [at least knowingly] dealing with InMusic (can honestly say I hadn't even heard of them prior to them acquiring BFD) so I just don't have any negativity built up towards them. So my only experience has really been "well, they're giving BFD life, which I'm thrilled about - even if the launch was a little rough and support page kinda sucks."
I was aware of them for a while. The first mess I directly experienced involved Avid selling M-Audio to inMusic. They completely screwed me by abandoning the Avid-built (and M-Audio marketed) ProjectMix I/O. Great device, though expensive.

I had to buy two pieces of gear to replace that one. The only way I can make use of it now is when running Snow Leopard, which I do less and less (also not because of my own agency; the computer industry is ****). The hardware is now basically just a piece of inert garbage taking up space, all because of software being abandoned. Throwing it away seems intolerable. Selling it... well, I tried back when it was still common for people to be using supported operating systems, and the eBay seller screwed me (as is eBay policy, it seems).

It really affected how I buy hardware from there on. That experience (and a few Native Instrument hardware abandonments) is why I refused to by a Roli Seaboard, since it absolutely depends on a computer and software to be of any use at all). If I buy hardware, it has to be usable without a computer. Otherwise, screw that BS.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Oh yeah, I also got burned with the insufficiently developed Alesis Fusion. Great potential, squandered by bad upper management demands, and then basically giving up on further development. When inMusic bought Alesis, the developers seemed to have been scattered to the four winds. There was no possibility of them ever fixing the bugs, let alone finishing development (the SATA port doesn't work, there's no USB communication except as a CF card reader... among other things).
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can't see anything I personally disagree with there.

Maybe it's worth asking where BFD (not substantially updated for many years) fits into that picture ?

And yes, we got an update - which broke many, many things and fixed .....errrr.....nothing as far as I can see ?
That's because the update wasn't about fixing anything. It was about changing ownership. Branding and authorization servers. I would be surprised to find there are any user-requested changes there, short of OS compatibility changes, but this is going to be my first exposure to version 3, so I'm guessing and not coming from a position of knowledge.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
InMusic's brand names still have product but that's about it. What good is product without support? For example the Air Music stuff they bought. There were bugs when Avid sold the stuff off that have never been fixed all these years later. Benign neglect would be a good term to use. InMusic does no development or bug fixing of product.
That's why I call them a "failing-brand hoarder".
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria ➡️
That's because the update wasn't about fixing anything. It was about changing ownership. Branding and authorization servers. I would be surprised to find there are any user-requested changes there, short of OS compatibility changes, but this is going to be my first exposure to version 3, so I'm guessing and not coming from a position of knowledge.
They added a bunch of AIR effects so not 100% auth related.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for that info. Will they be tearing out the DCAM stuff at some point, or did they get a perpetual license for that stuff from Roli/FXpansion?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
true - which nobody asked for ? - I mean, most people have an array of better FX than the AIR ones. I'd rather have seen that dev time spent on some bug fixing. Internal InMusic politics I suppose :D
Lives for gear

Quote:
true - which nobody asked for ? - I mean, most people have an array of better FX than the AIR ones. I'd rather have seen that dev time spent on some bug fixing. Internal InMusic politics I suppose :D
I didn't keep 3.4 on my system long enough to notice that. I don't tend to use BFD's internal effects as it is. I bring all kit pieces out to separate tracks and treat them like you would a real drum kit.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I am looking at buying evil drums expansion pack from platinum samples.
But I am worried if the licence will get authorised
And I will be stuck with a useless expansion pack I cannot use
Do we know if you can authorise new external packs
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman_uk ➡️
I am looking at buying evil drums expansion pack from platinum samples.
But I am worried if the licence will get authorised
And I will be stuck with a useless expansion pack I cannot use
Do we know if you can authorise new external packs
The license you get from Platinum Samples will not work on v3.4 initially. You need to send it to BFD Drums to have them issue you a new one. I picked up Rock Legends yesterday, and Drew got me the updated license within a few hours.

Just message Drew or send an email to [email protected], and they'll set you up.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
The license you get from Platinum Samples will not work on v3.4 initially. You need to send it to BFD Drums to have them issue you a new one. I picked up Rock Legends yesterday, and Drew got me the updated license within a few hours.

Just message Drew or send an email to [email protected], and they'll set you up.
Interesting... My Evil Drums license from platinum worked fine right away. I guess it depends on the specific pack.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim ➡️
Interesting... My Evil Drums license from platinum worked fine right away. I guess it depends on the specific pack.
I suppose it may. Either way, you'll be able to use it.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It would be a missfocus to only consider some former relevant information, without receiving related or recent developments.
The stories mentioned about some inMusic's brands support standing, these are my takes.

As several of you here, I've had a varying degree of perception of a few of those brands, from the 70s an all along these decades from different walks of life.
For inMusic, Numark was its first acquisition 1992. Which then grew into a reputed staple of first DJ mixers, then CD players and later of DJ phono turntables. A feat at the time unthinkable considering Technics worldwide dominance, but that was achieved with persistance year after year, introducing good quality components and improving on the crucial "torque" of the turntable motors.
Then DJing world diversified and at 2001 they bought in Alexis, more on the controller side, but looked like a complementary addition, more so when it was followed 2005 by adding AKAI classic MPC controller; the first hands on, reputed one used in electronica circles ever.

Followed by software DJ assistance firm, Mixmeister 2007 (which has released a new version just now).
And at 2014 the big pot, DENON was incorporated.
Quite early (2001) I was part of Tascam users forum moderation team, and one idea we put out in the open was why not include some of the circuit designs (and name) from their then related ultra HiFi company? and implement that tech into DJ products, mixers and DJ CD players, where level noise floor will show at BIG amplified sound systems.
Tascam, related then to Denon didn't and opted instead to forge an alliance with Frontier design-house and Ecler.
The point being that at the time Denon professional had one of the best US10.000 amplifiers as Stereoreview and the top hifi magazines reviewed. One decade later and the improvement of DACs and Line Arrays have made that lower noise move necessary...

Not long after then and DENON Dj launched the most creative DJ products, including for 1rst time mixers with the highest resolution and lower S/N ratios, DNX-1600 and CD players with novel features.
Of course the industry standard (Pioneer) reacted fast, but DENON Dj has been building a loyal following and has one of the widest user base/followers at the largest online platforms (DJtechtools and DJtooltips).

Now Denon keeps having some of the leading edge ideas, every year striving for the best and in fact, forcing Pioneer to not close their products and also DENON is the main reason why Pio has to release middle-low price DJ controllers, effectively following DENON releases. (DENON allowed its software platform to work with other competing protocols Serato, Traktor and Pio's)

At 2016 inMusic summed Rane (a respected boutique analogue DJ mixer manufacturer) that was lagging at the changing landscape. Last year and now they are bringing out 2 interesting renovated high quality mixers.

What BDfdrums 2021 is doing together with Drew helpful and responsive attention, plus its forum-design and functioning, to me are clear indications of being part of a VERY POSITIVE strategy and way of evolving.

///All in all, at inMusic case I see an entrepreneur who knows what is doing or learns so, at very, very complex and dynamic waters. More so, only these last years (and with the pandemic!!) companies are really acknowledging the importance of keeping an ear, both two really, direct to their actual and potential user base, as source of info, ideas, direction, etc...
The several abilities needed to integrate development teams, and to conduit diverse, varied groups and to come out with synergy and realize complementary efforts from them... is a very complex task akin to cultivate, it takes time and attention.

Which is very relevant in this times, when other competing firms have been swallowed by large financial funds that plan only inside the 5 years NPV limit, plus under $short-term-incentive driven managements...
Or maybe worse with competing conglomerate firms like Behringer-MusicTribe where who knows how will plan or make "efficiencies" and product/quality releases?
I really wish the best to inMusic and will personally voice my user perspective at forums or threads like these. WE are doing (and may affect) a conversation, everytime more relevant.

*Disclaimer: I have no relation to inMusic brands or agencies, own only BDFdrums related products and my first account with it was opened a few days ago.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The only thing that worries me about bfd is will we see a 100% M1 Mac version or will we have to rely on Rosetta for compatibility?
Maybe Drew can chime in if there are any plans for an M1 Mac version
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman_uk ➡️
The only thing that worries me about bfd is will we see a 100% M1 Mac version or will we have to rely on Rosetta for compatibility?
Maybe Drew can chime in if there are any plans for an M1 Mac version
Within a few months is my estimate. Anything could happen though, so that's nae a promise!
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Lets just hope the issues get sorted. I'm not actually working on any tracks at the moment but if I was or I had just bought BFD I would be mad about this. I did get a drum library for free which I wanted and if I can use that in future I'm happy.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…