Quantcast
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration
Old 21st April 2021
Here for the gear

If there is no way to import or use BFD 1 and 2 content, then this is the end of the line for us too. Have to start looking at Slate or some other products.
Or are they going to repackage those libraries and make us pay again to get them back? That would be just an insult and also a deal breaker.
And what would they do with all that content? Just throw it all away?
If that's the case, they could have rolled all that content into their new fancy update and made it a win win for everyone.
We are not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling you get when a new update comes along from a quality company.
Fxpansion was such a company.
Old 21st April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’ll pass on this one. Superior Drummer
3 blows BFD off the map, but even if it
didn’t, fxPansion became a ghost of its former
self years ago, starting with BFD3 which
was a regression from BFD2. Virtually no
tech support at all from them adds the icing
to the crap cake they baked themselves into.

This reminds me of the last days of Gigastudio,
during which a new version which was released
but not in time to save the product from
long overdue termination.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
This reminds me of the last days of Gigastudio,
during which a new version which was released
but not in time to save the product from
long overdue termination.
Wow, blast from the past, but a good reference. I'm fully on-board with Superior as well but there are a few old kits from BFD that I'd sorely miss. 8-bit got a fair amount of use. Let's hope they don't abandon these -- we did *pay* for them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Wow, blast from the past, but a good reference. I'm fully on-board with Superior as well but there are a few old kits from BFD that I'd sorely miss. 8-bit got a fair amount of use. Let's hope they don't abandon these -- we did *pay* for them.
8-bit seems to work fine as do the other expansion. It's the core content of 1 and 2 that is the problem I think ?

The whole thing is a bit of mess at the moment - there hasn't been any support for BFD for years...and that seems to still be true.

The website is a mess and there are lot's of 'gotchas' during the migrate process. You are likely to end up with multiple version using multiple licence managers...and the new licence manager can't really work out what you have installed....yawn

There is a thread over at KVR with some 'official posts' from BFD ...they don't post on their own (new) forum of course...or email people with updates.

There seems to be a plan to give BFD1/2 owners a couple of expansion packs to attempt to fill in the missing content from the migration.

Who knows when or how this will happen.....shrug

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...3822&start=345

https://forum.bfddrums.com/
Old 21st April 2021
Gear Maniac

Quote:
There seems to be a plan to give BFD1/2 owners a couple of expansion packs to attempt to fill in the missing content
is this how they think they fix this situation?

reminds me of how my d-bag neighbor ran over my dog when I was a kid, and then tried to "fix it" by giving me a toy. (which lately appeared was a broken robot, after all). mother was pissed as heck, went and sent the toy in his face. thankfully, only trashed the glass on his front door, didn't ruin the bastid.

so why don't they too... go bang themselves with this so-called "fix"?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakymoon ➡️
is this how they think they fix this situation?

reminds me of how my d-bag neighbor ran over my dog when I was a kid, and then tried to "fix it" by giving me a toy. (which lately appeared was a broken robot, after all). mother was pissed as heck, went and sent the toy in his face. thankfully, only trashed the glass on his front door, didn't ruin the bastid.

so why don't they too... go bang themselves with this so-called "fix"?
I'm not trying to defend them, because this is a mess of their own making, but I think the packs they are giving away are basically the 'missing' BFD 1 and BFD 2 core content.

BFD1 is Eldorado
BFD2 is the London Sessions

I think ? so you 'should' end up with all the stuff you lost - case closed....
Old 21st April 2021
Gear Maniac

then I guess it's all dandy, isn't it?

not that I mind terribly. the only library I got is Nick Mason drums from 2013, I think? I got hyped at the time, but it's rather meh and bleh. one mid tom unusable.

a quick paycheck for Alan and Nick they couldn't miss, I guess. and for Squids Kerzner. could be an amazing library, really, but ended up a lackluster.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakymoon ➡️
then I guess it's all dandy, isn't it?

not that I mind terribly. the only library I got is Nick Mason drums from 2013, I think? I got hyped at the time, but it's rather meh and bleh. one mid tom unusable.

a quick paycheck for Alan and Nick they couldn't miss, I guess. and for Squids Kerzner. could be an amazing library, really, but ended up a lackluster.
In my case it's not bfd2 content but I bought three Zildjian expansions libs for bfd3 that are listed in my fxpansion account but didn't appear after migration. So we are talking about a value of some 300 to 400 Dollars of value that I paid for and that is lost by migration. What a mess...
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
You guys may feel it's 'fixed' but none of my registered products are showing up in the new licence manager nor on their site and there's (of course) no way to let them know they've screwed this up.

When they took over M-Audio they did a similar thing where they threw owners of products *they were still selling* into a 'too hard' pile and said no support for you. In Australia this is actually illegal, anyone who is distributing their software or hardware better work out pretty damn quick this breaks Australian Consumer Law.

InMusic give cowboy companies a bad name.

(It's a UK/Commonwealth term - Cowboys are ones who don't follow the required processes and skip vital stages and don't follow the laws.)

Last edited by spindizzy; 22nd April 2021 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 22nd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindizzy ➡️
You guys may feel it's 'fixed' but none of my registered products are showing up in the new licence manager nor on their site and there's (of course) no way to let them know they've screwed this up.
That's not good to hear. I start to consider migrating then read things like this. I'll continue to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindizzy ➡️
InMusic give cowboy companies a bad name.
I'm not sure what a cowboy company is, but if it's a regional reference: InMusic is headquartered in Rhode Island.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Has anyone had any luck or success so far getting the Zildjann libraries migrated?

What about 3rd party like Platinum Samples?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange ➡️
I'm not trying to defend them, because this is a mess of their own making, but I think the packs they are giving away are basically the 'missing' BFD 1 and BFD 2 core content.

BFD1 is Eldorado
BFD2 is the London Sessions

I think ? so you 'should' end up with all the stuff you lost - case closed....
Except that, those are not part of the 5 packs they're offering. (and you can only pick 1)
I didn't see Eldorado anywhere on the site, but it looks like they want $100.00 for the London Sessions which does appear to be the BFD2 content.
No sir - I don't like it.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannymac ➡️
Has anyone had any luck or success so far getting the Zildjann libraries migrated?

When you say 'Migrated' do you mean just the migration process from FXpansion account to inMusic account, or that and actually working inside BFD3.4?

If it is the first, the answer is yes and yes. All my 53 expansions migrated across fine.

If it is the second, I haven't as yet installed 3.4, as I am just watching how things go and waiting them fixing any issues there are.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is there any information given, how long the present (old) BFD account is supported? I.e. how long can we go on "as business as usual", without the migration?

I own, in addition of BFD3, about 20 explansions, plus other fxpansion stuff, and after reading all these comments in this thread, my judgement is, that the risk of loosing with the migration is bigger and the change of gaining (especially, when the BFD ver. 3.4 doesn´t seem to offer that much).
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O ➡️
Is there any information given, how long the present (old) BFD account is supported? I.e. how long can we go on "as business as usual", without the migration?

I own, in addition of BFD3, about 20 explansions, plus other fxpansion stuff, and after reading all these comments in this thread, my judgement is, that the risk of loosing with the migration is bigger and the change of gaining (especially, when the BFD ver. 3.4 doesn´t seem to offer that much).
I know it may or may not be any consolation to you, but Drew (ex FXpansion now inMusic) has said numerous times on other forums that their intention is that no one looses anything they own before this change.

What I have done is do the website migration from FXpansion to inMusic, but not installed v3.4. All my stuff, 53 expansions show on the new site. I am happy with that for now, as I would have let Windows 10 update to at least 1909 to use 3.4, which I will when the dust settles.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jih64 ➡️
I know it may or may not be any consolation to you, but Drew (ex FXpansion now inMusic) has said numerous times on other forums that their intention is that no one looses anything they own before this change.
and that, IMO, is part of the problem - Why should customers have to chase BFD/FXP in various random forums ? ...ironically they don't post in their own forum ! Nobody seems to have a clue what is going on.

Why not make an announcement on the website ? Or email customers that have made the migration ?

The support process has been broken for a long long long time - they should have probably put something better in place before rolling out this badly planned change.

It's a real shame what has happened to BFD. I've been with them since the beginning but lots of poor decisions mean it's really not one to recommend any more. Superior drummer on the other hand
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Platinum Samples Evil Drums worked for me, haven't checked anything else yet.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Quote:

When you say 'Migrated' do you mean just the migration process from FXpansion account to inMusic account, or that and actually working inside BFD3.4?

If it is the first, the answer is yes and yes. All my 53 expansions migrated across fine.
How come??
BDFdrums system failed to upload the three of my Zyldjian libraries treasured throughout the years:

Zildjian Digital Vaults ZP1

Zildjian Digital Vaults SP1

Zildjian Digital Vaults SP2

That I bought separate and shipped the world with their boxes and DVDs and constitute an staple on my productions.
Now they are trying to say that they are not able to port them to a version update?

I'd rather be focusing on the subtleties they are able of, but instead it seems there is a pressing need for
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange ➡️
and that, IMO, is part of the problem - Why should customers have to chase BFD/FXP in various random forums ? ...ironically they don't post in their own forum ! Nobody seems to have a clue what is going on.

Why not make an announcement on the website ? Or email customers that have made the migration ?

The support process has been broken for a long long long time - they should have probably put something better in place before rolling out this badly planned change.

It's a real shame what has happened to BFD. I've been with them since the beginning but lots of poor decisions mean it's really not one to recommend any more. Superior drummer on the other hand
Hi,
you are completely right regarding the subpar communication! However the teams seems to really use the forum on the new website meanwhile and Drew (the product owner for BFD who helped a lot in the better fxpansion years) is very responsive on the new forum as well. I'm clearly not convinced yet about in music as a brand but bfd is a great piece of software and as long as guys like Drew are engaged there is hope.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

What I have done is do the website migration from FXpansion to inMusic, but not installed v3.4. All my stuff, 53 expansions show on the new site. I am happy with that for now, as I would have let Windows 10 update to at least 1909 to use 3.4, which I will when the dust settles.
53 Expansions!! Haha.. I thought I was bad. :-)
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace ➡️
How come??
BDFdrums system failed to upload the three of my Zyldjian libraries treasured throughout the years:

Zildjian Digital Vaults ZP1

Zildjian Digital Vaults SP1

Zildjian Digital Vaults SP2

That I bought separate and shipped the world with their boxes and DVDs and constitute an staple on my productions.
Now they are trying to say that they are not able to port them to a version update?

I'd rather be focusing on the subtleties they are able of, but instead it seems there is a pressing need for
Hi,

I have the exact same issue. Posted it on the new forum on the in music bfd site and Drew reacted within ten minutes and seems to be able to sort it out
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitartom ➡️
Hi,
you are completely right regarding the subpar communication! However the teams seems to really use the forum on the new website meanwhile
are you talking about:

https://forum.bfddrums.com/

there is no link to that forum anywhere that i can find ? obviously they want to keep it a secret and I'm not seeing any updates about the issues with the migration....KVR is the only active information I can find.

I'm not denying that on a good day BFD can sound great but they make you jump through lots of hoops to get there.

Superior Drummer 3 on the other hand - works beautifully and sounds amazing. I hate to lose my investment in BFD (I've bought most of the stuff they produced) but everything they have done in the last few years has been very unimpressive...this latest fiasco is just another example.
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlending ➡️
Except that, those are not part of the 5 packs they're offering. (and you can only pick 1)
I didn't see Eldorado anywhere on the site, but it looks like they want $100.00 for the London Sessions which does appear to be the BFD2 content.
They are planning on giving everyone who already owns BFD1 and BFD2, the El Dorado and London Sessions packs for free. In addition to the one free expansion currently being offered. Sounds like there was some kind of hiccup that prevented this from working on day 1, and they're asking people to hang tight for a bit while they resolve it. This is all from Drew from the BFD Team on another forum (begins with a K ends with an R).

If you're reliant on the BFD1/BFD2 content, or BFD3 is mission critical to your work right now, I'd advise hanging back on the migration for a bit until some of the kinks are ironed out. Which I'd advise any potential early adopter doing pro audio work. This is a pretty big change when it comes to the license management, and it sounds like some stuff cropped up.

Drew was able to solve my issue of the "convert content screen" popping up at every launch by taking a look at my registry and identifying some missing keys. See the forum at https://forum.bfddrums.com/ for instructions if you have that issue.
Old 22nd April 2021
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlending ➡️
They are planning on giving everyone who already owns BFD1 and BFD2, the El Dorado and London Sessions packs for free. In addition to the one free expansion currently being offered. Sounds like there was some kind of hiccup that prevented this from working on day 1, and they're asking people to hang tight for a bit while they resolve it. This is all from Drew from the BFD Team on another forum (begins with a K ends with an R).

If you're reliant on the BFD1/BFD2 content, or BFD3 is mission critical to your work right now, I'd advise hanging back on the migration for a bit until some of the kinks are ironed out. Which I'd advise any potential early adopter doing pro audio work. This is a pretty big change when it comes to the license management, and it sounds like some stuff cropped up.

Drew was able to solve my issue of the "convert content screen" popping up at every launch by taking a look at my registry and identifying some missing keys. See the forum at https://forum.bfddrums.com/ for instructions if you have that issue.
Well then... I take it all back.
We hope that is all true.
We spent years creating and tweaking several kits that contained elements of BFD1,2, 3 and a couple of expansion packs.(kick from here, snare from there...etc.)
Interestingly, we use very little from the BFD3 content. We always considered BFD1, and 2 to be the bulk and the stuff that V3 provided seemed more ancillary boutique type stuff.
And just like a real drummer, you make little changes here and there with each production you do and with deeper knowledge of what can be done with BFD.
So that's not just money spent- it's time too. And a lot of time at that.
So when someone comes in and takes half your kit away, that's a big monetary loss.
We're sitting with V3.3 until we see how they sort it all out.
Meanwhile, it might not be a bad idea to start taking a deeper look at their competition.
Fingers crossed that they do the right thing for those of us that invested over $500.00 in both BFD1 and 2.
Old 22nd April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So just moved my account, got a free library (Horsepower) and it all works!

Big relief.
The important bit is of course that you hold on to your discontinued libraries and presets (for example in my case from Drumdrops) as of course you won't be able to download them from their site. But my big worry was that they would not accept any external licenses and what I can say now is that they do!

All the fxpansion libraries I had can also be conveniently download via the new manager.

A positive experience on my end!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
haha, from the ones that are offered I picked the horsepower expansion too

thanks for posting the link to the new official bfd forum. I signed up, it all works well and I hope it will develope again like the old bfd forum did. To me the old bfd forum was a kind of wiki regarding drum productions.

I only can encourage you to sign up too, so there's no need for speculations on kvr or here at GS anymore. Here's the statement from Drew he posted on the new bfd forum:

"No need for fear. BFD3.4 will support all BFD content, we just have a bug in our migration setup where people aren’t getting the Eldorado and London Sessions packs."

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that they also started a thread where you can post your feature requests and wishlist for BFD4! So please let them know
Old 23rd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitartom ➡️
Hi,

I have the exact same issue. Posted it on the new forum on the in music bfd site and Drew reacted within ten minutes and seems to be able to sort it out
Thank you guitartom, I'll check there as well
Old 24th April 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
BDFdrums Product Owner (manager), affirmed:
"BFD_Drew
No need for fear. BFD3.4 will support all BFD content"
At their forum thread, How to use BFD2 Content in BFD 3.4?

Which is quite reassuring.
Also another user who migrated yesterday had a successful transference of his Zildjian SP1, SP2, and ZP1 libraries, so it can be done and It will happen.

Now it is only a support issue. GREAT news to find out that my trusted and beloved Zildjian libraries will continue their life, and our customers rights will be respected.
Old 24th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is what i get after the migration..
And it will not run after i have launched the licence manager.
Attached Thumbnails
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration-7d430688-f6d0-47c3-8147-821431a70142.jpg  
Old 24th April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey everyone,
Drew from BFD here. Apologies for not getting involved here soon enough. I've been on KvR a bit, but in generally it's been a hectic week! I've been reading messages and feeding them up the chain. So here's a few highlights:

- We never intended for BFD1 and BFD2 owners to lose access to their libraries. That's a bug we're working on fixing. BFD1 owners were supposed to get BFD Eldorado and BFD2 owners were supposed to get BFD London Sessions.
- There are some straggler freebies that we need to deal with. Things like the rock tambourine which will be repackaged and delivered soon.
- i've reported the contact form on the support page being broken. Messages do go through by the looks of it, but the user doesn't get any feedback on it. If in doubt, email [email protected] with your issue.
- We hear you on 'offline' use. People are looking into that.
- We also hear you on the annoyance of the keychain messages on OSX. People are looking into that too.
- There will be a 3.4.1 release soon, that will fix some bugs.
- People who have authorized everything in BFD License Manager, but BFD doesn't seem to work still, please private message me all of the details. I've not been able to reproduce that in-house but if that is a thing, we need to fix it.
- Zildjian SP1, SP2, and ZP1 are discontinued. They were discontinued at FXpansion even before ROLI purchased us. They were re-released as the BFD Zildjian Digital Vaults. Vol 1 library. If you get in touch with support, they should be able to issue you a serial number for the updated pack. You'll be able to download that, install it, and be good to go.
- Finally, there is a bug in the 'copy old files' functionality in the new release. This will be fixed in 3.4.1.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…