BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BFD3.4 update and InMusic migration
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
actually isn't the latest version of LM 3.0.22? Which I can't get because LM 3.01.3 won't update and won't update BFD.
I just checked, the website is still offering 3.0.1.3

https://www.bfddrums.com/downloads.html

If you have 3.0.22 that must be the beta that will be the new one, which is likely to come out next week, from the sounds of things. If that's true, how did you get that?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria ➡️
Agreed. I’m more interested in thunderbolt devices at this point, though. I keep wondering for how long Mac OS will maintain FireWire support on systems that only have FireWire if you plug in a FireWire to thunderbolt converter. Even if RME keeps updating the drivers, they will still be depending on Apple having support for the FireWire bus in the OS.

At this point, me buying a new Mac means I will be losing several pieces of hardware, due to their makers abandoning driver support. Apple doesn’t sell what I want, but I’ll be forced to buy something at some point. It’s already extremely irritating how interdependent the ecosystem is and how broken it is when you can’t afford to rebuy the same product every 3 or so years. And no, this is absolutely no motivation for me to go back to PCs and Windows, for which I have ZERO tolerance anymore.
You can't go from firewire to thunderbolt on a non-thunderbolt equipped machine. You can go the other way - thunderbolt TO firewire on a thunderbolt machine.

It seems that firewire has been dead for quite the while. Computers whether Mac or PC haven't had a physical firewire port for years now. USB users have it easier as those ports still exist on most machines although the actual physical port has changed shape but the protocol is still there in operating systems.

The only things in my setup that have firewire ports are the external backup drives but those drives also have either USB2 or USB3 ports. Everything else is some form of USB so I'm not in that bad a shape (except money-wise) if I ever have to replace my aging 2012 cheesegrater.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Green ➡️
I just checked, the website is still offering 3.0.1.3

https://www.bfddrums.com/downloads.html

If you have 3.0.22 that must be the beta that will be the new one, which is likely to come out next week, from the sounds of things. If that's true, how did you get that?
No I didn't I still have the 3.0.1.3, I won't let me update to the new LM or to the supposed bug fixed BFD.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitartom ➡️
You can get/download the latest version of the License Manager on the BFD Website if You have an account over there
If you're talking about the InMusic site NO you can't or at least I can't. I have no idea why.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you're talking about the InMusic site NO you can't or at least I can't. I have no idea why.
In my account I can find it at the place where my bfd3 license number is listed if I click the button "see details, downloads an offers"
Lives for gear

Quote:
In my account I can find it at the place where my bfd3 license number is listed if I click the button "see details, downloads an offers"
Even simpler and you don't need to login the License Manager is available here: https://www.bfddrums.com/downloads.html
Gear Guru

Quote:
yep and it doesn't send me to a new version. and the link you posted sends me to the same version I have.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
yep and it doesn't send me to a new version. and the link you posted sends me to the same version I have.
it's 3.0.1.3, which is the latest version at the moment
Gear Guru

Quote:
it's 3.0.1.3, which is the latest version at the moment
well that's what I have and it won't let me upgrade to the bug fix of BFD.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
well that's what I have and it won't let me upgrade to the bug fix of BFD.
because there bugfix release is announced but has not been rolled out yet. It's just the beta testers who are already talking about their positive experiences but it has not been released yet.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
This works with BFD3 VST2 in the various DAWs I have.

If you can't drag and drop a groove from BFD3 into your DAW, it's likely either the DAW or plugin format preventing it.
I'm using it with DP10 as AU plugin. Maybe it only works in VST, which would be silly. Stylus RMX has worked with groove drag and drop as an AU plugin in DP for over a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
Andy Johns Kit 1 has been my go-to for years. Kit 1 snare has 110 velocity levels which is pretty full. It also has 135 on a closed hat tip, 128 on closed hat shank, though, which is up there. Not quite Jim Scott levels, but nothing is.

Hmmm, drop-and-drag into ProTools or even onto the desktop has worked for me for a long time. The key map has to be set up the way you want first, but it does work. I just click on the groove in the palette, drag it where I want. It works the other direction, too.
Yeah, in DP I can't drag and drop into MIDI tracks. It's the only VI I have with grooves that doesn't let me do it. I have to export and then drag a MIDI file into DP.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
You can't go from firewire to thunderbolt on a non-thunderbolt equipped machine. You can go the other way - thunderbolt TO firewire on a thunderbolt machine.

It seems that firewire has been dead for quite the while. Computers whether Mac or PC haven't had a physical firewire port for years now. USB users have it easier as those ports still exist on most machines although the actual physical port has changed shape but the protocol is still there in operating systems.

The only things in my setup that have firewire ports are the external backup drives but those drives also have either USB2 or USB3 ports. Everything else is some form of USB so I'm not in that bad a shape (except money-wise) if I ever have to replace my aging 2012 cheesegrater.
I think firewire was officially deprecated in 2015, but I think they scrapped firewire ports even before that and replaced with thunderbolt ports.

I'm currently using thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter for a MOTU 1248, and while fast, if I bump the wire sometimes the interface will disconnect, which is ridiculous. I don't know if it's the small non-latching plug or what, but I've tried with multiple devices and TB3 cables and same behavior exists. Happened to my server a few times and I had to restart the computer and reconnect TB3 cables or it wouldn't detect it. Mind you, the cables were connected and not hanging out of the ports, I just bumped into them and it caused the signal to be lost.

Many manufacturers seem to be pushing ethernet these days, with Dante and AVB, but USB is still the most common from what I've seen, and usually comes as a primary or secondary connection option. Plus there are PCI interfaces still. Thunderbolt 3 has way more bandwidth than you'd ever need for audio in most situations and with good drivers, USB interfaces are outperforming it with latency.

I've been a Mac user for decades, but I am fed up at this point with the price compared to the power. Even new machines are always years behind PCs in some way, wether it's expandability, garbage video cards (and no freedom to choose a video card from another brand), soldered RAM on the motherboard, overpriced RAM, glued shut computers, etc. Unfortunately my pipeline is built around the OS, and if I switch to Windows I'd have to rebuild my music projects because DP will not recognize going from AU to VST. Unfortunately I prefer the OS as well and work very fast in it. The only saving grace of newer Macs is that they work very good with audio. The only plug-ins that I find cripple the CPU are iZotope RX plugins, but at a buffer of 2048 my heaviest mixes rarely even reach 50% CPU on an iMac Pro 10 core and bouncing mixes is pretty fast. Mixes I would need ProTools acceleration cards for in the past I can do in DP with AU plug-ins now and still have plenty of CPU power to spare. It's really amazing how far thing have come with audio processing and CPU power in this respect.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradivus ➡️
I'm using it with DP10 as AU plugin. Maybe it only works in VST, which would be silly. Stylus RMX has worked with groove drag and drop as an AU plugin in DP for over a decade.

Yeah, in DP I can't drag and drop into MIDI tracks. It's the only VI I have with grooves that doesn't let me do it. I have to export and then drag a MIDI file into DP.
Drag on and drop from the Groove edit list as well a the Grooves browser, is working fine with Logic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think firewire was officially deprecated in 2015, but I think they scrapped firewire ports even before that and replaced with thunderbolt ports.
My previous motherboard I bought in 2016 still had a Firewire port on it. But I've been using a Firewire card all along to make sure I have the Texas Instuments chip that RME recommends for best performance.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey dudes,
We're getting very close to having a new release. We were going to put one out this week, and literally as I was hitting the launch button, we found a stop ship bug. Better the frustration of finding it too late than having disappoint you all again. That really isn't my cup of tea!!

We know what the issue is. We're fixing it this week. Hopefully by next week we will have a build out that will resolve the outstanding offline authorization issues.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've been a Mac user for decades, but I am fed up at this point with the price compared to the power.
Same! I went Ryzen. No looking back - my new machine is brutal!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Got it working on my new machine but on the older one it can't connect to the server to authenticate it.
I've been trying for hours.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberience ➡️
Hey dudes,
We're getting very close to having a new release. We were going to put one out this week, and literally as I was hitting the launch button, we found a stop ship bug. Better the frustration of finding it too late than having disappoint you all again. That really isn't my cup of tea!!

We know what the issue is. We're fixing it this week. Hopefully by next week we will have a build out that will resolve the outstanding offline authorization issues.
Thank you for the update!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
"our server was unable to process the request.
Please try again shortly.
Server message: Could not retrieve registered SKUs.

Can't even get past the license manager!

Work on hold!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoSlayer ➡️

Can't even get past the license manager!

Work on hold!
When did you try? There were world-wide internet outages on June 8 mostly due to Fastly issues.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
About 100 times during the last 24 hours.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone else now getting alerts every time BFD3 is opened? I get one saying "no packs found in pack price catalogue", dismiss that, and get "no packs found in pack summary catalogue". Bought BFD3 the second it came out, and used it every project since then - but this has only started in the last few weeks. Feels super spammy, but can't find a way to locate alerts anywhere in the settings.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not getting that particular error Owen, but whenever I launch BFD3 (not the current version), I get the scan folders dialog box with a message saying that the Metal Snares expansion pack is unauthorised, yet when I check via License Manager Metal Snares *is* authorised.

It's no big deal, I can cancel the scan and BFD3 is available, just without the authorised yet unauthorised Metal Snares expansion pack.

I'm still to lodge a support ticket regarding that.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I reinstalled fxpansion last update and I'm back in business.

The installer for the new software is still doing the
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I've just realised that I can't run BFD while I'm offline!

I hardly ever have my studio computer connected.

Is this going to be fixed?
Lives for gear

Quote:

I doubt it. This is why I'm staying on BFD 3.3.x
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T ➡️
Anyone else now getting alerts every time BFD3 is opened? I get one saying "no packs found in pack price catalogue", dismiss that, and get "no packs found in pack summary catalogue". Bought BFD3 the second it came out, and used it every project since then - but this has only started in the last few weeks. Feels super spammy, but can't find a way to locate alerts anywhere in the settings.
Yeah I'm getting that too. I don't have time to beta test their software anymore so I'm using SD3 now instead.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 ➡️
I doubt it. This is why I'm staying on BFD 3.3.x
I thought this statement was referring to a fix being on the way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberience ➡️
Hopefully by next week we will have a build out that will resolve the outstanding offline authorization issues.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I did wonder if that's what he was referring to.

Fingers crossed.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I did wonder if that's what he was referring to.

Fingers crossed.
I have the version they just backed off on, and so far it works offline with no caveats. I've tried to abuse it into breaking, but haven't been able to. So, fingers crossed.

I don't know what the stop ship issue is, but BFD seems to want to avoid taking any chances.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…