The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance bx_limiter True Peak
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Plugin Alliance bx_limiter True Peak

just saw this in my email inbox, downloaded and installed immediately:

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...true_peak.html

I'm working on a mastering project that will be perfect to test this out on.... anyone else diving into this already?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcenter ➡️
just saw this in my email inbox, downloaded and installed immediately:

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...true_peak.html

I'm working on a mastering project that will be perfect to test this out on.... anyone else diving into this already?
Just downloaded it myself.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Addict
 
mastervargas's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
OK, let the honeymoon begin: best limiter ever, wipes the floor with everything else, yada, yada

(will try it though, cause I used to be a slut, now I'm something from space, apparently)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Shawn Hatfield's Avatar
Digging in to this today. Always excited to test new limiters!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Addict
 
Haven't time yet to test it out, but they did managed to get quite nice reviews including Greg Wells, and for a change the reviews are actually about the plugin, not about the original gear or other unrelated stuff, and are not super vague or ambiguous.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Downloaded... only very briefly checked it out so far (no opinions thus far). Have a few tracks coming up shortly that I can give it a proper evaluation with. My current 'go to' limiter options are Pro-L 2, Voxengo Elephant and Ozone.

I'm not disappointed with any of these, but will check it out since having another option isn't always a bad thing. Intro price for me is $79.99 with voucher, so not paying a huge premium if I wind up getting it now vs. when it inevitably goes on sale.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas ➡️
(will try it though, cause I used to be a slut, now I'm something from space, apparently)
I'm a slut in other aspects of my life. When it comes to working in my studio I'd rather be from outer space.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Ok nicer UI. This is visual redesign or completely new code?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Caet's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofein ➡️
Ok nicer UI. This is visual redesign or completely new code?
From the link:

"bx_limiter TP (True Peak) from Brainworx is a completely new design, crafted to avoid the shortcomings of existing true peak limiters."
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Gear Addict
 
jpanderson80's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Maybe I'm having a negative type of attitude today. I'm not sure.

But this seems to be just white noise in my toolkit. I already have a TP limiter; haven't we all? What is unique about this one?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 ➡️
Maybe I'm having a negative type of attitude today. I'm not sure.

But this seems to be just white noise in my toolkit. I already have a TP limiter; haven't we all? What is unique about this one?
The original bx limiter was nothing great, so you can't fault brainworx for wanting to update their only limiter. Is it necessary? Who knows. If you've got something you trust and does the job then it'll be easy to pass this one up.

I'm going to demo tonight. I too have a truck load of limiters, both TP and otherwise, but I've also got a terrible addiction to new plugins.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #12
Gear Addict
 
jpanderson80's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins ➡️
The original bx limiter was nothing great, so you can't fault brainworx for wanting to update their only limiter. Is it necessary? Who knows. If you've got something you trust and does the job then it'll be easy to pass this one up.

I'm going to demo tonight. I too have a truck load of limiters, both TP and otherwise, but I've also got a terrible addiction to new plugins.
Yeah, that's a good point... I don't know anything about the OG bx limiter, so if this is better, that answers my question.

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
rosewood123's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Sounds excellent to me so far .... Need to test it more, though.

Edit: And interested to have very experienced MEs' opinions roll in.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 ➡️
Yeah, that's a good point... I don't know anything about the OG bx limiter, so if this is better, that answers my question.

Thanks.
The original limiter is to my understanding more geared towards individual tracks and busses. It’s a dirty limiter but in a good way. If not pushed too hard it’s still quite clean but can have additional saturation dialed in with an XL knob. But more for attacking peaks and importing character as opposed to top tier mastering applications.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Purchased the Brainworx bx_limiter TP

Used the my April $75. voucher, ended up paying $54.99 , I was missing a very good Brickwall limiter. This should
be perfect.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Nut
 
There's the bx Limiter/Saturator and the bx_XL V2 MS Mastering Limiter.The V2 is a quirky little thing, and is in no way true peak, I usually have to follow it up with one, and dithering if needed, but for certain songs it just works.

No dithering options on the new TP either.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
I quickly threw it on a project that I'm mixing that has ProL2 on the master. I matched settings as best as possible to A/B between the two and if I'm being honest PL2 completely blew away this Bx limiter. I wasn't really close.

Gain +8, Release .50, OP -.20. All extra features off

It really just had 0 dynamics left, sounded squashed to death. Where as with ProL2 it remained really punchy and could breath. This isn't to say the bx_limiter isn't good or great, it just didn't work even close to as well on this particular project with these settings.

I'll have to give it a fair shot on the next record I'm mixing. I'll say, as a mixer I mix through limiters from pretty much the beginning and have found a transparent setting with ProL2 that's all gainstaged properly with my outboard gear, so that when I remove it for mastering the mix stays almost identical. I'll match these settings on the the bx_limiter and see how well it holds up.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Here for the gear
 
Tested for awhile.. Just don't see the rationale in cost and features when compared to things like limitless and l-2.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I just swapped it quickly on a mix that had pro-l2 at the end and at default with the same gain and no extra features it sounds much brighter and brings the mono elements forward. Initially it sounds really good but I’m cautious of something making my mix brighter off the bat. This was a modern trap song similar to something from Jack Harlow. I could see this being used a lot for hip hop though. I also have to note that I use flatline before my limiters so I only need to push into it another 3db or so to get the song where it needs to be.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #20
Gear Addict
 
Wonderbird's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by random musican ➡️
Haven't time yet to test it out, but they did managed to get quite nice reviews including Greg Wells, and for a change the reviews are actually about the plugin, not about the original gear or other unrelated stuff, and are not super vague or ambiguous.
Lmfao. Yeah. Cause Greg Wells, the guy that endorse EVERYTHING that gives him 1+ $ have the highest level of credibility. 😂😂 That would for me classify as something that actually makes me not wanting to buy the plugin.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #21
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird ➡️
Lmfao. Yeah. Cause Greg Wells, the guy that endorse EVERYTHING that gives him 1+ $ have the highest level of credibility. 😂😂 That would for me classify as something that actually makes me not wanting to buy the plugin.
Well, I have huge respect for his work and taste, but who knows, things change, maybe I was living under a rock. Any crap in particular that he recommended?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
They say they're doing "selective oversampling", which I am guessing means frequency dependent. Seems like a sound concept actually.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Greg Wells is lovely and talented.

Ignore anyone who disses him.

- c
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #24
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout ➡️
They say they're doing "selective oversampling", which I am guessing means frequency dependent. Seems like a sound concept actually.
To me it sounds more like a version of adaptive algorithms that were around at least since 60s, and probably even earlier. Of course, variable sampling rate has both advantages and disadvantages, but it works and is not rare at all.

Anyway, that's just a guess, it might be something completely else.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Nowak's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Nothing special going on here... ProL2 stays.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird ➡️
Lmfao. Yeah. Cause Greg Wells, the guy that endorse EVERYTHING that gives him 1+ $ have the highest level of credibility. 😂😂 That would for me classify as something that actually makes me not wanting to buy the plugin.
I severely dislike Greg Wells for this reason.
And he talks too much meaningless rubbish.
A role model for the 2021 music producer bla bla guy.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
screentan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I finally just picked up Weiss DS1 MK3 and now some new product announcement and pro endorsements tell me I might not have the best limiter any longer...
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by random musican ➡️
Haven't time yet to test it out, but they did managed to get quite nice reviews including Greg Wells, and for a change the reviews are actually about the plugin, not about the original gear or other unrelated stuff, and are not super vague or ambiguous.
Greg Wells reviews/endorses every damn plugin.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas ➡️
OK, let the honeymoon begin: best limiter ever, wipes the floor with everything else, yada, yada

(will try it though, cause I used to be a slut, now I'm something from space, apparently)

To me GS is just the opposite. Most times it’s ‘this sucks, worst ever, my current xyz slays it, yada yada yada.’

Like you I’ll try it out for myself. But I have so many limiters that I’d be hard pressed to think a new broad band limiter will replace everything else in the arsenal. Sigh......
Old 4 weeks ago
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Lol. I should’ve read the entire thread before replying. I thought I was alone in feeling this way about Greg Wells and his endorsements.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump