The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance bx_limiter True Peak
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

It`s rare with a plugin that almost no one seems to like. And the few that (kind of) do use it for a different purpose than intended.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala ➡️
It`s rare with a plugin that almost no one seems to like. And the few that (kind of) do use it for a different purpose than intended.
musta missed that first page
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I took the plunge and bought it for a bit over half off with some vouchers. Ironically I personally couldn’t get with ProL2, it seemed to smear my mixes a bit. With this so far it’s been solid. I don’t push my limiters hard, about 2db at most, I push for volume in earlier stages so it’s worked well.

One thing I haven’t dived much into is the release time. How have you guys been setting it? Just leaving at default or what?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
TDR Limiter 6 GE is a lot cleaner than this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Are you guys running this hard or something? I’m generally 1-2db reduction with no issues
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfen ➡️
Are you guys running this hard or something? I’m generally 1-2db reduction with no issues
I think that's the issue, at least with me. I occasionally hit between 3-5db depending on the record/vibe. Sometimes more, sometimes less. With ProL2 I can hit that and still retain punch/dynamics. With this True Peak once you go over 2db or so I feel like I lose everything. It may just be a tool you turn to for that exact sound at 1-2db MAX GR. I find it hard to be a workhorse limiter.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Once you go over 1 db gr with bx true peak you start getting a bandpassed sound with midrange grunge. It also starts to break up but it does not get aliased bright like Oxford Limiter or Waves plastic. It’s cleaner than the Tokyo Dawn ISP limiter in the output section but TDR advises you not to use that and you really shouldn’t have a problem using it for more than .1 db of gr with Kotelnikov, the awesome L6 HF limiter beforehand, and the clipper to take out weird pops before the normal L6 limiter. Versus the normal Limiter 6 limiter on insane mode, this is a dirty pos.

All the talk of true peak limiting while keeping the punch is more marketing BS. That’s impossible unless by punch, it means distortion by eating into the waveform with a too long attack time, too short release time, weirdly set lookahead, or a dysfunctional detector. You can hear this playing around with the cheap (30 dollars) and still good PSP Xenon playing around with the different detectors and oversampling. A, B, and C are on a scale from Waves like to clean. BX limiter true peak plug has waveshapers built in like Oxford limiter but that bit of oldschool dsp is less bandpassed sounding despite being aliased. Much of the world does not want a mastering limiter to sound like Waves L1 or L2 but Brainworx seems to be heavily focused on nailing that late 90s, early 2000s popular rock sound but actually better and cleaner? Come on.

For Dirk to hate on Softube’s Weiss, which is a different flavor of distortion than all the Brainworx waveshapers for being more expensive than a yearly subscription to PA is insane. If you like it the sound of the Softube Weiss more, by all means get it because these are all just different flavors of distortion. Weiss is more occasionally peculiar behaving early digital sound vs Brainworx bunch of waveshaping functions and chopping off the tops of wave forms. If you like that go for it. Brainworx took a bunch of ideas from Sonnox and TDR and ended up with something that’s more expensive for new customers, more bandpassed than the almost 15 years old Oxford, and dirtier than what TDR moves for 50 bucks with no marketing or voucher bull**** except for bundle and repeat customer discounts and third party sales a few times a year.
plx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i can get 1-2dB with any clipper or even a compressor with no issues...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think that the bx_limiter is good to use, but not for mastering. Rather as a track limiter and only with very moderate gain reduction.
Of course, no one would pay the regular price of $250 for such a limiter. If you want the limiter badly enough, this is more a candidate for some vouchers or at a PA flash sale for no more than $100
(but to be honest, I find the limiter rather uninteresting).
Well, I decided to test this limiter and this is what I got:

For me it appeared really problematic in some areas: low end handling, general hollowness of the sound, level inconsistencies and lack of smoothness in high/mid range.

For anybody who'd like to see it themselves on source files, here are three of my masters plus a Cubase/Nuendo session to tweak everything on your own (I assume you own or trial limiters used in the test!): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5hgq7ak8f...5QmUvCr1a?dl=0

Have a great and a productive day!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveuho ➡️
low end handling,
This was it for me , had the same issue with the UAD to my surpirse since usually uad wins in low end and high definition .

Now i was thinking something (felt the same with TC electronic MD4) , maybe there's a multiband thing somewhere under the hood , and most of the time they try to keep things in linear phase as much as possible : problem it introduced a lot of pre ringing usually specially noticeable in the loaw end , this is the fx i felt on sound with the PA , UAD and TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
This was it for me , had the same issue with the UAD to my surpirse since usually uad wins in low end and high definition .

Now i was thinking something (felt the same with TC electronic MD4) , maybe there's a multiband thing somewhere under the hood , and most of the time they try to keep things in linear phase as much as possible : problem it introduced a lot of pre ringing usually specially noticeable in the loaw end , this is the fx i felt on sound with the PA , UAD and TC
All this souds legit, though I'm not an audio programmer to really dissect it. I'm sticking to my Pro-L 2 for now and looking into Limitless more and more. It really sounds amazing. It gives me the feel of presence, body and real level-handling invisibility, maintaining the same LUFS as bx_TP and Pro-L 2.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➡️
I think that the bx_limiter is good to use, but not for mastering. Rather as a track limiter and only with very moderate gain reduction.
Of course, no one would pay the regular price of $250 for such a limiter. If you want the limiter badly enough, this is more a candidate for some vouchers or at a PA flash sale for no more than $100
(but to be honest, I find the limiter rather uninteresting).
It’s cool as a peak limiter on non bass tracks but the GUI is setup as a mastering limiter. This isn’t Faraday Limiter or PSP Twin L. I could see this for 30 bucks and may even have bought it for 30 but honestly I prefer the Neold U73b emulation for just chopping off 1 db from the peaks. Better color, softer knee to avoid the flatlining of sine waves, great auto releases to avoid pumping if you want to dig in, and you can negate the built in filters with one click. I can’t help but feel that such “color plug” is the best mastering compressor/limiter plug in the PA catalog. If it had a Varicom emulation, it would be an incredibly itb mastering tool rather than a tubey, caveman replacement for Kotelnikov, Weiss, and Unisum.
Gear Addict
In spite of all us smack talking this, it has one superb use: as the second to last insert prior to the dither plug as the final limiter that’s maybe hit once every few songs of a project for under like .1 db (yes .1 or so, NOT 1) of gr to bring up your tracks after you leave some headroom for isp peaks if your mastering chain or workhorse limiter tends to let those through.

The entire plug should’ve been set up around this with none of the Brainworx waveshaping and clipper bs because the final isp limit of this is quite good and maybe best in class. The rest is subpar. It’s just tdr and dmg have working ones built in you will almost never hit with proper use even with default configs.

Quote:

For me it appeared really problematic in some areas: low end handling, general hollowness of the sound, level inconsistencies and lack of smoothness in high/mid range.

For anybody who'd like to see it themselves on source files, here are three of my masters plus a Cubase/Nuendo session to tweak everything on your own (I assume you own or trial limiters used in the test!): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5hgq7ak8f...5QmUvCr1a?dl=0

Agreed. It also doesn’t preserve the mix and levels which is what you want a single band limiter to do to a well-balanced mix. Limiter 6 Ge single band brick wall with the compressor and Hf limiter to keep the bass and high treble away from the limiter let’s me dig in the most, almost too much, but Faraday with Analog totally off and HQ on and Xenon with detector C are really good at taking those few db too loud events off somewhat transparently whole not being active constantly.

Limitless has the opposite problem of bx true peak, ie it cleanly lessens the midrange presence area while Bx seems focused on distorting it for more perceived loudness on smaller crapper consumer playback systems while minimizing low end that will have over 100% thd on them. Weiss almost tends to sheen and tilt mixes in that 2000s masters sheen sound but keeps the levels fairly intact used sparingly. Sonnox keeps the mix intact but is old school dsp with the gross brightness when digging in more than a db or two. You feel like you might want to eq bass, treble, and presence after these with a broad or shelf style eq (Pultecs) which is not what you want for a final digital master limiter anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Yes, I got similar results and was also a bit shocked that the limiter distorts so much. You have to go much higher with the release times or go much lower with the gain reduction. A clear sign that the programme-dependent algorithms are either not available or have been implemented very badly.

Guys, I cannot resist
Brainworx: Finally, a True Peak Limiter that actually sounds GREAT
Fabfilter, DMG Audio: Hold my beer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sad to hear ....I don’t have the cash to waste on this ...want it to work well so bad ....I don’t have it personally I’m going off the reviews here and they sound bad. Can anyone say if the limiter is better on the master bus than waves L2 ? Still a go to for me ...as I don’t have 300 for a master bus limiter ....eh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPro ➡️
Sad to hear ....I don’t have the cash to waste on this ...want it to work well so bad ....I don’t have it personally I’m going off the reviews here and they sound bad. Can anyone say if the limiter is better on the master bus than waves L2 ? Still a go to for me ...as I don’t have 300 for a master bus limiter ....eh
PSP's Xenon (Full band, dual-stage limiter plug-in) is on sale for $29 on AudioDeluxe which is a good deal for cheap. Lasts next 4 days so you would still have time to demo.
Gear Nut

Quote:
I personally haven’t had any issues out of it but I’m not pushing it hard. You can get a full functioning demo for free
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There s some exellent ones on sale now , ik and psp being ones ... also the tc brikwall comes with a hardware and is under 200 !! The PA is great also , jus colorfull and doesn t like too much gr ... patience always pays with PA , i will certainly grab it at that time ... for certain genre of productions ..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds like a no go even with a discount . Every penny counts and I don’t need another track limiter ...need a master bus limiter ....looks like this ain’t it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Newfangled Audio just update Elevate to ver 1.5 with true peak limiting.
If someone is interested they have sale right now.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto ➡️

How does Elevate compare to Limitless?
Lives for gear

Quote:

That is so cool ! that thing is crazy good. IF they also have managed to reduce a bit of CPU needs, it would be great as well.
Gear Head

Quote:
That video is 2 years old!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtHanson ➡️
haha looks like I'm far behind. But they have good deal for all bundle now
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtHanson ➡️
ahah true, thanks sakamoto ! you got me worked up for new elevate goodness !
the news is it's resizable and on sale at 99$, version 1.8.

Anyway stellar plug, 36 bands if you need to save transient somewhere, last massage eq, saturate, clip, limit and boom.

Limiter No6 and Pro-L. My limiter life is great.

BX could have chosen a interesting path, and try something new, yet it's a weirdly broad ( filters, simple limiter no modules) and niche ( foundation etc) plugin to have. for aggressive musics and if you have nothing else ? and you do like the colors and filters ? I don't who will buy it. I don't hate it nor think it's exceptionnal. another limiter in a world full of good ones.

you really have to fall in love with this one, and own alsmost nothing in that category.

we're spoiled with options!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Recently there was also an offer for the Sonnox limiter for little money.
There's always an offer somewhere for one of the better limiters
Yes,Elevate is currently also available until the end of May for $99 (hi praised by guys like Matt Lange or Andrew Scheps).

It sounds harsh... but the bx_limiter is crap! You just have to call a spade a spade. Any of the current limiters already mentioned is vastly superior.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Don t recall why i didn t grabbed elevate at that time , might be the cpu hit or the processing ... but i m def trying it again ,asked fir demo reset , i recall being impressed by the clipper plugin ...

Isn t this thing other complicated ? Non concept wise but to handle so much interaction ...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don t recall why i didn t grabbed elevate at that time , might be the cpu hit or the processing ... but i m def trying it again ,asked fir demo reset , i recall being impressed by the clipper plugin ...

Isn t this thing other complicated ? Non concept wise but to handle so much interaction ...
not too complicated to me. you can also solo and dip individual bands on Ponctuate, aduste some transient somewhere in the curve, go to the clipper section and finish things in a nice way.

very well though and capable. also the 4 modules are plugins you can use individually.

the level matching feature is really cool to actually compared and hear what you did. nice overall engine.

Have fun testing it! do a detail video test on it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I found the transient emphasis more interesting, because it exactly compensates for the problem with many limiters that make the transients softer due to the very short attack times.
If you use all 26 bands, the CPU load is significantly higher. However, you can also use only 13 bands or less (Limitless also has "only" 6 bands).
Complicated... well, you can make detailed settings, but you don't have to. The main parameters are only 6.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…